Tom Chambers

Donovan Mitchell 2017-18 Season Outlook

So people are pretty high on him after after summer league.  Like...super high. 

I'm not sure I see a great path to minutes, though.  I expect Hood to start at the 2, and Thabo to see significant swingman minutes based upon his defense.  That leaves minutes shared between Burks, Joe Johnson, and Mitchell. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable guessing numbers after summer league anyway, but especially not if I can't guesstimate minutes. 

What do you guys see? 

For this year you are probably right. But for Dynasty Leagues, I would draft him 7th or 8th among rookies. After Fultz-Ball-Tatum-JJackson-Fox-DSJ. Considering history of the draft - 1 or 2 of those guys will be busts.

I think Mitchell will be a very solid NBA player. But for just the 2017-2018 season.....I don't know. Maybe 18-22 minutes per game? Burks is hurt alot and Joe Johnson getting old. Mitchell looks like 3rd string PG also. That could get him some minutes.

I wouldn't bet on him getting noticable run on PG assuming Rubio and Exum are healthy. Looks like they'll rely on Hood more just as they were last year before Hayward came back from the injury. Which also leaves not a wide possibility to play SG. Maybe the Jazz want to play Hood some SF as well but that wasn't really the case last year: http://www.82games.com/1617/16UTA6.HTM

In summary - I'm also impressed with how Mitchell played in SL but at least for now he seems stacked in Jazz backcourt and needs some injuries to be relevant.

So now that it appears Exum is on the shelf for awhile, big opportunity for Mitchell. Might even gain PG eligibility before we get too far into the season. Kid's got skills on both ends of the floor...he'll have his ups and downs as a rookie of course but he might have some redraft value and IMO is dynasty gold.

It's a couple who killed it in SL. I already took my lottery ticket though. But I'll keep an eye on him. 

Here is what Rotoworld column writes: he might be worth a flier in deeper leagues.

Really small chance he has value in regular redraft. But love his potential for dynasty purposes. 

• Like 1

I drafted him with my last pick (16 team league so it was pretty deep).

Also Utah backcourt is not the healthiest group of guys over the years (Rubio - Burks - Exum - Hood).

9 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Kid's got game, but no path to PT. On the wire he stays.

I added him, then dropped him right back after looking at the depth chart. The pressure is getting to me already lol. 

43 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Kid's got game, but no path to PT. On the wire he stays.

He's got a very clear path to pt actually.

Playing both backup pg and sg. Burks is still dumb as f, but will share sg backup duties with Mitchell. Hood starts at sg, Ingles at sf, Thabo backs up SF. 

20+ minutes.

1 minute ago, PuzzBeterson said:

He's got a very clear path to pt actually.

Playing both backup pg and sg. Burks is still dumb as f, but will share sg backup duties with Mitchell. Hood starts at sg, Ingles at sf, Thabo backs up SF. 

20+ minutes.

Who is the better pickup for people? Kuzma or Mitchell?

12 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Who is the better pickup for people? Kuzma or Mitchell?

Mitchell, more playing time. Kuzma will play behind Randle and Nance

• Thanks 1

Depends on the league and needs. If I need a G, I like DM, if I need stl and ast, DM. If I need a F, reb, fg%, pts, probably Kuz. In dynasty I prefer DM.

Edited by PuzzBeterson
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mad Luke said:

Mitchell, more playing time. Kuzma will play behind Randle and Nance

5 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Depends on the league and needs. If I need a G, I like DM, if I need stl and ast, DM. If I need a F, reb, fg%, pts, probably Kuz. In dynasty I prefer DM.

Already done.

UI9ZEsd.png

I hate being like this, but the league I'm in is hyper aggressive, so I have to be the same lol.

1 minute ago, ROTY said:

damn hes nice. that J is wet af

It is, however he sometimes tried to do too much in college.

What I like most about his shooting is how he can stop on the drop of a dime and launch into perfect shooting motion. His game is such fun to watch, partly because of his fantastic body control. 

• Like 1

Just now, PuzzBeterson said:

It is, however he sometimes tried to do too much in college.

What I like most about his shooting is how he can stop on the drop of a dime and launch into perfect shooting motion. His game is such fun to watch, partly because of his fantastic body control. 

That ability to stop and pop on a dime is so nice to watch. Makes him really hard to guard.

Kid just has it. Jazz would be foolish to play the likes of Burks, Neto & Thabo over him

Hood isn't known as the most durable guy either...the potential is there for Mitchell to surprise people this season

7 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Already done.

UI9ZEsd.png

I hate being like this, but the league I'm in is hyper aggressive, so I have to be the same lol.

Evidence suggests the league is hyper aggressive because of you...not the other way around :D:D:D

• Haha 2