ballr3

Ricky Rubio 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Ok, this is pointless. So Van Gundy likes guards that have the potential to be great scorers, or have a scorers skillset,  but they don't actually have to be great scorers. Or is it that Van Gundy likes great shooters? Or is it that Van Gundy just doesn't like the skillset Rubio possesses because you don't like the skillset Rubio possesses? Or is it that Van Gundy likes guards that force their man to fight over the pick because Ricky's man goes under the pick? Or is it really that you just can't stand the fact that you drafted Rubio and you just want as much misery inflicted on his NBA career to comfort you in the current misery you feel from drafting him?

 

You have stated you didn't like Rubio's game. You have stated you never owned him and then let "experts" convince you to draft him this year. Nothing changed. He is the exact same skillset in a completely different system. I would ask you to explain the Jazz offensive system, how it contrasts with what the Wolves ran, and why it doesn't fit Rubio's skillset but I figure that is pretty pointless based on your previous posts/responses.

 

Is it really that you know you never liked Ricky but got convinced to draft him and you are now dealing with negative emotion towards Ricky that you can't process because you don't want to admit that it is your fault you are in this situation because you didn't have it in you to act on your convictions on draft day? If this is the case that is cool and we have all been there. Some of us  process it, learn from it, and move on. But please continue to do you. You can have last word. I see no point continuing this.

Just start watching basketball or go play some at your local YMCA.  I’m not going to type up an essay on basketball 101 for you.  Rubio is who he is.  He hasn’t improved a lick since being in the league.  Couldn’t shoot comming in, can’t shoot now 6 years in.  Everyone keeps talking about this “gifted passer”.  Well the gifted passer avg 4 asst and 3 TO.  Gifted passer don’t forget how to pass.  You can keep telling me why he is so good but men lie women lie, numbers don’t lie.  LOL.  

 

And why do you talk about my fantasy team like this is the asst coach forum.  I’m here talking about rubio game not my fantasy team.  I don’t dislike rubio as a person bro.  You make it sound personal like I hate on him because I drafted him? Give it a break.  Every year there are good picks and bad picks in fantasy.  I’m strictly talking about rubios game here not my fantasy basketball team.

Edited by JballFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chirojenic30 said:

DRopped him few days back.  I had better sleep this past few days. Not sure if it is correlated. :D

 

There is just too much potential on the wire right now, just did the same ... hopefully looking ahead to better nights of sleep myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JballFan said:

Everyone keeps talking about this “gifted passer”.  Well the gifted passer avg 4 asst and 3 TO.  Gifted passer don’t forget how to pass.

 

This whole argument is beyond ridiculous. Just go on youtube and watch some highlight videos of Rubio's passing. You don't make passes like that unless you are a gifted passer. You are right, gifted passers don't forget how to pass. He just went to a team/system that doesn't really utilize his skillset. I'm not the biggest Rubio fan, he's far from a complete player. But to say he's not a skilled passer is just plain ignorant.

 

 

 

Edited by LuSamSiam
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LuSamSiam said:

 

This whole argument is beyond ridiculous. Just go on youtube and watch some highlight videos of Rubio's passing. You don't make passes like that unless you are a gifted passer. You are right, gifted passers don't forget how to pass. He just went to a team/system that doesn't really utilize his skillset. I'm not the biggest Rubio fan, he's far from a complete player. But to say he's not a skilled passer is just plain ignorant.

 

 

 

Never said he wasn’t a skilled passer.  Said he throws a bunch of wild passes.  You can literally look up raymond Felton on YouTube and he would look like michael Jordan in the highlights bro.  That’s what career highlights make you look like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JballFan said:

Never said he wasn’t a skilled passer.

 

This has essentially been your argument for the past 3 pages, BRO. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BoogieNights said:

 

This has essentially been your argument for the past 3 pages, BRO. 

The argument is that he is not a “gifted passer”.  Doesn’t mean he is a trash passer.  To me his passing skill is avg at best with bunch of wild passes which leads to TO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This debate is useless. Can we move on?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was messing around with Rubio's pass tracking stats, and I found it interesting to look at the frequency of who he passes it to most, and what that player is doing after they receive the pass. This year Rubio has passed it most frequently to Favors (19% of his passes), then Ingles (17%), and Mitchell (13%). All those add up to about 30 passes per game, and they result in only 7 field goal attempts per game by those players. Those were the only players who received over 10% of his passes, and a bunch are in the 6-8% range.

 

For comparison, his pass tracking on the wolves looks wildly different. Last year 30.7% of his passes went to Wiggins and 27% went to Towns. That's a total of 38 passes per game to those two, resulting in attempted 18 shots, or potential assists for Rubio. To me this points to many of the common complaints surrounding Rubio about how the Jazz promote ball movement, but I was still a bit surprised by the actual numbers.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, stopmakingsense said:

I was messing around with Rubio's pass tracking stats, and I found it interesting to look at the frequency of who he passes it to most, and what that player is doing after they receive the pass. This year Rubio has passed it most frequently to Favors (19% of his passes), then Ingles (17%), and Mitchell (13%). All those add up to about 30 passes per game, and they result in only 7 field goal attempts per game by those players. Those were the only players who received over 10% of his passes, and a bunch are in the 6-8% range.

 

For comparison, his pass tracking on the wolves looks wildly different. Last year 30.7% of his passes went to Wiggins and 27% went to Towns. That's a total of 38 passes per game to those two, resulting in attempted 18 shots, or potential assists for Rubio. To me this points to many of the common complaints surrounding Rubio about how the Jazz promote ball movement, but I was still a bit surprised by the actual numbers.

 

yea, u pass to Ingles and then he will pass it to another person after holding the ball for 5 seconds first and Favors would is a shell of himself now. Wiggins/Towns are 25 ppg scorers so it would be easy to rack up assists with them cuz you know when they get the ball they want to score. Just like how Rubio had Klove back then too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stopmakingsense said:

I was messing around with Rubio's pass tracking stats, and I found it interesting to look at the frequency of who he passes it to most, and what that player is doing after they receive the pass. This year Rubio has passed it most frequently to Favors (19% of his passes), then Ingles (17%), and Mitchell (13%). All those add up to about 30 passes per game, and they result in only 7 field goal attempts per game by those players. Those were the only players who received over 10% of his passes, and a bunch are in the 6-8% range.

 

For comparison, his pass tracking on the wolves looks wildly different. Last year 30.7% of his passes went to Wiggins and 27% went to Towns. That's a total of 38 passes per game to those two, resulting in attempted 18 shots, or potential assists for Rubio. To me this points to many of the common complaints surrounding Rubio about how the Jazz promote ball movement, but I was still a bit surprised by the actual numbers.

Thanks for digging this up. Nice post. 

Zach Lowe did a great analysis of the Jazz offense. I posted the link pages ago. When the Jazz offense is clicking they are all about ball movement. They are about passing, forcing defenses to switch, and working together to create a good shot for someone on the court that is better than each individual could get on their own. When they aren't clicking they don't pass and typically launch a 3 (Hood, Mitchell). I posted another article on what they are trying to do with Ricky and his development. Basically telling him to not take the first thing he sees because the offense might create a better shot later in the possession. That has to be a mindf*ck for Ricky who thrives in speed and chaos. 

Yes, there is an enormous difference between the Wolves you mentioned and the Jazz. I stopped watching the Jazz 7-14 days ago and even passes to Mitchell where he would score wouldn't be catch and shoot and wouldn't get an assist. Favors gets the ball often times to start the offense with a handoff while setting a screen.

1 hour ago, monkeyzonSteroids said:

 

yea, u pass to Ingles and then he will pass it to another person after holding the ball for 5 seconds first and Favors would is a shell of himself now. Wiggins/Towns are 25 ppg scorers so it would be easy to rack up assists with them cuz you know when they get the ball they want to score. Just like how Rubio had Klove back then too

Favors isn't a shell of himself, he is just horribly miscast as a 4. When Gobert misses time he plays really well at the 5. They are in the midst of the hardest month for any team in the NBA. Before this stint when Gobert missed time the offense was far more pleasant to watch with Favors at the 5. And that was with Jerebko playing the 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody moved on from this guy in 12 team leagues?  Do you sleep better at night?  Do you cuss less?  Asking for a friend.  Thanks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BoogieNights said:

Has anybody moved on from this guy in 12 team leagues?  Do you sleep better at night?  Do you cuss less?  Asking for a friend.  Thanks.

You can’t drop him in a 12-teamer... you just can’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jin said:

You can’t drop him in a 12-teamer... you just can’t.

What about a 10-teamer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jin said:

You can’t drop him in a 12-teamer... you just can’t.

 

But you can't exactly play him either.  He's been borderline un-startable for a month and a half.  Every situation is different and for me, being in a weekly set league, I feel like streaming someone each week would be a better option.  The only thing keeping me from dropping is FOMO.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BoogieNights said:

 

But you can't exactly play him either.  He's been borderline un-startable for a month and a half.  Every situation is different and for me, being in a weekly set league, I feel like streaming someone each week would be a better option.  The only thing keeping me from dropping is FOMO.

 

The way i feel your pain but im in a 14man setting.. still tempted every week.. i missed out on dunn because of my "FOMO" :lol:

 

 

 

won''t happen again, promise. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

more than descent 1st half. I was afraid to watch Jazz but it seems like rubio is their pg running the pace. He is not just sitting in the corner as a sg. Actually he goes nowhere near the corners. Is this new??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was recently dropped in my league.  I just added Ish Smith but starting to wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 5:26 PM, Walk with me said:

Ish is better then Rubio.... you’ll see in the coming weeks.

 

Hope you're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, we got to admit though, this Mitchel kid is something else. True leader, fearless, clutch, athletic freak, scoring touch, vision, he's got it all. Close game and he goes all in, in the face of Lebron!! No wonder Jazz redesign everything in order to build everything around him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.