ballr3

Ricky Rubio 2017-2018 Season Outlook

2 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

ravishing ricky rubio is ravishing indeed

hopefully the shooting opens up the driving/passing lanes.

How does everyone feel on the balance of scoring vs. passing from him? 

1 hour ago, chaiway said:

He doesn't have the same offensive weapons he's used to on the jazz, so the assists stagnating may be an issue relative to his other improvements.  Favors and Gobert operate ok in the PnR, no real knock down 3 shooters if Ingles is slumping.

Did you know that Ricky Rubio leads the Jazz in field goal attempts per game this season? Yes, he's averaging 12.6 per contest this year, more than Rodney Hood, Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert, or even the prolific Donovan Mitchell.

And despite having one of the game's worst layup-makers and a famously poor shooter lead the team in shots, the Jazz are sixth in the league at effective field goal percentage.

Part of the reason? Maybe Rubio isn't that bad of a shooter! He's up to 43 percent on the season overall, and 35 percent from the 3-point line. Those are solid numbers. And he's been very, very good from the mid-range shooting that at about 53 percent.

Is that likely to continue? If it were just the seven games of this season that he'd shot the ball well, I'd be very, very skeptical. But it's actually a continuation of a trend from the second half of last year, when Rubio also became a much more aggressive offensive player.

They're also just such open shots. Of the 58 jump shots that Rubio took coming into tonight's game, he took only 10 that had a defender within four feet. 48 of them were either open or wide open, per NBA.com.

If defenses keep giving him that much of a cushion, Rubio doesn't need to be that good of a shooter to take advantage. Tonight, he carried the Jazz for stretches in the second half, shooting 8-15 for 20 points and making 4-8 of his threes. If he does that, and takes care of the ball (just three turnovers tonight), then the Jazz's offense could be all right.beacon.gif?cid=559672&pid=4&notrack

I don't know if he'll get these open looks all season long but i am enjoying his play this year.

4 hours ago, chaiway said:

I hate to say this but I'd be a bit disappointed if I were punting points or something. I reached for him in the draft and I do expect 8+ assists at the very least.. Everything else is as expected, but in 6 games he's had 11, 10, 6, 5, 5, 4..  which puts him at ~7 per game..

Not exactly what I expected, getting 5 assists more often than 10.

But definitely not selling him. 

Where's the assists tonight, Ricky?  I need 'em for the close match this week!!!

How many of us took Rubio over Dipo and Middleton because of the assists? The scoring is a nice surprise but Dipo has been killing it and even Schroeder has been phenomenal

What an OT, now at 28 points, 3 triples and 9/9 from the line. Oh ya 2 steals and decent fg%. Beast!

Weird night.  I got Oladipo dishing out 7 dimes, while Ricky gave me the points.

I'll take it LOL :lol:

1 hour ago, chaiway said:

How many of us took Rubio over Dipo and Middleton because of the assists? The scoring is a nice surprise but Dipo has been killing it and even Schroeder has been phenomenal

Dipo got snatched like 2 spots ahead of me, so I settled with Rubio. He's been doing great so far. Actually was considering throwing a trade out for Dipo with my Rubio, but I feel like Dipo will have slightly fewer touches in the future with Turner back and Sabonis performing so well. 

After looking at the box score you can presume that Hood killed at least 5 assists from Ricky. 

• Like 2

Yeah, he won't be getting assists to Mitchell who pretty much does his own thing once he gets the ball.

7 hours ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

Yeah, he won't be getting assists to Mitchell who pretty much does his own thing once he gets the ball.

agreed, Mitchell's increase in playing time / Hood's decrease is a concern for Rubio's dimes. 

Mitchell is fun to watch though

8 minutes ago, ragrag said:

got this guy for dimes.  where are the dimes?

Ditto. He has played well but we didn't draft him to score. We drafted him for the top 5 assist numbers. I went with a Wall-Rubio combo to lock down assists.

I haven't been able to watch many Utah games, is Rubio the hockey assist man? I see Ingles consistently getting 5 assists.. from an extra pass?