brockpapersizer

Keibert Ruiz- C Dodgers

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

Dave (Williamsburg): Who is your favorite prospect outside the top 50 that you think is a star in the making?

J.J. Cooper: I’ll go deeper. I think Dodgers catcher Keibert Ruiz might be the top catching prospect in baseball at this time next year.

 

 

Danny V (Glastonbury, CT): Any love for Dodgers C Keibert Ruiz tearing up the CAL at 19? How does he compare to Will Smith off/def?

J.J. Cooper: See my answer above. Smith is better defensively, Ruiz has more offensive potential.


 

 

Keith (Syracuse): Can you please give me the name of a Bat and an Arm that not enough people are talking about, guys that in the next season or two could climb to the top of your top 100 prospects list?

J.J. Cooper: I’m trying not to cheat and pick guys who just missed the Top 100. How about 2 guys who won’t make midseason top 10s. I’m sticking with Keibert Ruiz for the hitter. Could go a thousand ways on the pitcher, but I’ll throw out Mason Thompson of the Padres. Just needs to be healthy for a full season and could really take off.

 

 

These three mentions were all in the same BA chat yesterday. He's a while away from the bigs but potentially the best catching prospect in baseball and a catcher that has "more offensive potential".  Sign me up for that ride.  And it's the Dodgers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea he got a lot of sleeper love this past offseason and he has delivered.  He is doing very well (and improving each week it seems) in A+ ball and is only 19 (unless he just turned 20 recently)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Numark said:

and is only 19 (unless he just turned 20 recently)

 

He actually just turned 19 on Thursday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked John sickels top 20 dodgers pre season and he had Ruiz at number 10 before this further breakout.  It's saying something if you're in the dodgers top 10 as an 18 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keibert is a beast.  He was one of the youngest hitters in the Pioneer League last year.  Probably the youngest bat in The Cal league now too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Homered again last night.

 

Ruiz' monthly splits are interesting - he was awful in April, but he's from Venezuela and was playing in the Midwest League so maybe you can give him a mulligan for his first exposure to the cold. Since then, he's slashing 353/402/529.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keibert had a terrible April absolutely awful.  But with him being one of the youngest players let alone likely the youngest catcher in A ball that was understandable.  Then couple in he's a switch hitter, that's almost always going to develop slower than a non switch hitter. 

 

Then towards the end of April he started to hit better then really got rolling in May and then caught fire in June and July.  It even may look like he's finding his power stroke.  As last year and most of this year he's been a mostly doubles very few HR hitter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 9:34 AM, FouLLine said:

Keibert had a terrible April absolutely awful.  But with him being one of the youngest players let alone likely the youngest catcher in A ball that was understandable.  Then couple in he's a switch hitter, that's almost always going to develop slower than a non switch hitter. 

 

Then towards the end of April he started to hit better then really got rolling in May and then caught fire in June and July.  It even may look like he's finding his power stroke.  As last year and most of this year he's been a mostly doubles very few HR hitter.  

 

 

Seems like there's no doubt he can stick at catcher, I'm just curious what the bat is going to be like? He isn't going to get steals. Needs to hit for a pretty high average or some solid power to actually matter as a catcher in most 1 catcher leagues.  To carve out value as a second catcher in deep leagues isn't that valuable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seems like there's no doubt he can stick at catcher, I'm just curious what the bat is going to be like? He isn't going to get steals. Needs to hit for a pretty high average or some solid power to actually matter as a catcher in most 1 catcher leagues.  To carve out value as a second catcher in deep leagues isn't that valuable. 

 

The hit tool looks really good. He's batting .337 with an 11% K rate for his minor league career while always being really young for the level.

 

Big question for fantasy will be power. Not a lot of homers yet, but he has shown doubles power and at 6'0, 200 he has the size to turn those into dingers down the road. Maybe that's already starting with his 3 HR in 9 games at High-A.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

 

The hit tool looks really good. He's batting .337 with an 11% K rate for his minor league career while always being really young for the level.

 

Big question for fantasy will be power. Not a lot of homers yet, but he has shown doubles power and at 6'0, 200 he has the size to turn those into dingers down the road. Maybe that's already starting with his 3 HR in 9 games at High-A.

 

Plus factor in how young he is and that he's a switch hitter (takes a bit longer to develop usually) he's on a very good prospect path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Longenhagen chat today on FG's:

 

Stros Fan: Out of these 3, Austin Hays, Colton welker and Keibert Ruiz. Which one has highest ceiling, lowest floor and most likely to hit their projection. Who has increased their projection the most? Thanks!
 
 
Eric A Longenhagen: Ruiz has the highest ceiling as a catcher who can hit. Welker has raised his stock most for me of the three. I like Hays but think his approach might be exposed eventually.
 
I know Welker has gotten a lot of love around here and obviously this isn't a fantasy baseball directed question, but still says a lot about the kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Meastoftheeast said:

 

I know Welker has gotten a lot of love around here and obviously this isn't a fantasy baseball directed question, but still says a lot about the kid.

 

i'm a big Welker fan. He's been hurt for a while, otherwise his stock would be way up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

i'm a big Welker fan. He's been hurt for a while, otherwise his stock would be way up

 

Completely agree on Welker, his stock is way up regardless of the undisclosed injury.  Just trying to shed some light on Ruiz's potential/upside.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeming more and more hes the best fantasy CATCHER in the minors after Mejia

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seeming more and more hes the best fantasy ss in the minors after Mejia

 

SS? :)

 

But yea he is really looking good lately!

 

Edited by Numark
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keibert has been so consistent ... He's gotten a hit in every game but one since being promoted to Advanced A (well technically 2 but one of those games he didn't even get to hit once).  For a switch hitter of his age that speaks volumes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Justin (New York): Which, if any, of the following players do you see being ranked in the top 100 next year: Starling Heredia, Bryan Reynolds, Jorge Ona, Keibert Ruiz.


Josh Norris: Based on how much we talk about him in the office and the kind of reviews we get from scouts, I could definitely see Keibert Ruiz getting some consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:
  • Justin (New York): Which, if any, of the following players do you see being ranked in the top 100 next year: Starling Heredia, Bryan Reynolds, Jorge Ona, Keibert Ruiz.


Josh Norris: Based on how much we talk about him in the office and the kind of reviews we get from scouts, I could definitely see Keibert Ruiz getting some consideration.

 

From what I gathered Starling seemed/seems like the biggest upside. This appears contradictory to that thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

 

From what I gathered Starling seemed/seems like the biggest upside. This appears contradictory to that thought. 

 

Have to factor in the real life defensive aspect there. Keibert seems like a good defender at the scarcest position, who can switch hit and is showing extraordinary abilities hitting so far as per expectations.  If he were a 15-20 Home Run hitter with a solid OBP like 340-350, thats an amazing piece.  Heredia can hit 30+ home runs and be less valuable because he's a corner OF.  

 

For fantasy, I'd say Heredia probably has more upside as a hitter.  But in real life value, probably Keibert... and it doesn't hurt that he's ahead of Heredia too.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Have to factor in the real life defensive aspect there. Keibert seems like a good defender at the scarcest position, who can switch hit and is showing extraordinary abilities hitting so far as per expectations.  If he were a 15-20 Home Run hitter with a solid OBP like 340-350, thats an amazing piece.  Heredia can hit 30+ home runs and be less valuable because he's a corner OF.  

 

For fantasy, I'd say Heredia probably has more upside as a hitter.  But in real life value, probably Keibert... and it doesn't hurt that he's ahead of Heredia too.

 

First, I agree completely.

 

As for fantasy purposes, the counting stats definitely seem to lean in Heredia's favor.

 

However, I'd argue that if Ruiz stays at catcher, his value could come close to - or even surpass - Heredia's value based on positional scarcity. 30-homer, decent-average corner outfielders aren't rare. 20-homer, good-average/on-base catchers are top-5 positionally.

 

I think it makes for an interesting ADP argument...in 2019/20.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Courtesy of @garlandoin the Vlad Jr thread:

 

"...Minimum 100pa, the best A+ 18yr olds since fangraphs has the stats for them (2006):

* = season in progress

1.V.Guerrero*: 160pa, 180wrc+
2.K.Ruiz*: 124pa, 152wrc+
3.M.Trout: 233pa, 117wrc+
4.W.Flores: 290pa, 112wrc+
5.M.Machado: 260pa, 96wrc+"

 

Hello there.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ruiz has stayed under the radar a little bit, but to me he's a must-own in dynasties.

 

It's really difficult to find exciting fantasy catcher prospects. Most of the guys on top prospect lists are either there more for their defense, or big bats who are likely to get moved off the position. A just-turned-19 catcher who is going to stay a catcher and is raking at High-A? That's like finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...