brockpapersizer

Keibert Ruiz- C Dodgers

2 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

We are looking at probably 3 years until the majors, right?   2020 ETA?

Most likely. The Dodgers have good organizational depth at catcher so they have no need to rush him.

Grandal will be a free agent in 2019, but even if they let him go they'll still have Barnes, and Will Smith is a good prospect with a 2019 ETA.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:44 PM, bdy1 said:

Courtesy of @garlandoin the Vlad Jr thread:

"...Minimum 100pa, the best A+ 18yr olds since fangraphs has the stats for them (2006):

* = season in progress

1.V.Guerrero*: 160pa, 180wrc+
2.K.Ruiz*: 124pa, 152wrc+
3.M.Trout: 233pa, 117wrc+
4.W.Flores: 290pa, 112wrc+
5.M.Machado: 260pa, 96wrc+"

Hello there.

Basically Mike Trout at catcher.

• Like 1

The same is small but pick him up and see what happens next. If he can keep on it like he is then yeah, sky is the limit. 

On 9/8/2017 at 1:10 PM, FouLLine said:

7/10 with a double 0 K 0 BB in the post season so far.

8/13 with 2 doubles and a walk in 3 playoff games to put a wrap on our boy Keibert's 2017.  A 1.412 OPS over those 3 games with 0 Ks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 for 8 with 2 Ks so far in spring.  No offense Fernando Tatis but I got Keibert higher up my prospect board.

in grainier prospect footage I'd been thinking "homeless man's Victor Martinez, best case"

but after seeing him this spring in crystal HD... woah. His offensive potential as a catcher is outstanding. I like his upside quite a bit more than Mejia... but then again, Mejia is way overhyped. 

landed him in a December dynasty draft in round 24... sandwiched between Jose De Leon and Brandon Drury. Currently on the run from the law. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

in grainier prospect footage I'd been thinking "homeless man's Victor Martinez, best case"

but after seeing him this spring in crystal HD... woah. His offensive potential as a catcher is outstanding. I like his upside quite a bit more than Mejia... but then again, Mejia is way overhyped. 

landed him in a December dynasty draft in round 24... sandwiched between Jose De Leon and Brandon Drury. Currently on the run from the law. 

Keibert just this offseason finally started getting some top 100 prospect love.  But he's still vastly under rated.  He's left off on quite a few top 100 lists and the ones smart enough to have him on still have him outside the top 50 looking in. 

This kid could be a top 10 prospect come May when publications start redoing their lists.

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Keibert just this offseason finally started getting some top 100 prospect love.  But he's still vastly under rated.  He's left off on quite a few top 100 lists and the ones smart enough to have him on still have him outside the top 50 looking in. 

This kid could be a top 10 prospect come May when publications start redoing their lists.

Im a fan. But from a Fantasy perspective we’re waiting on a catcher like 2-3 years away in a system that is stacked at catcher.

13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Im a fan. But from a Fantasy perspective we’re waiting on a catcher like 2-3 years away in a system that is stacked at catcher.

I wouldn't say "stacked" at catcher.  Barnes had a nice season last year but I doubt he out does it this year.  Grandal is on the final year of his contract.

Plus, Keibert could be the key trade piece for LAD's playoff run again much like Willie Calhoun last year.   But yes catchers generally take longer to develop.  But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he saw MLB ABs in 2019 towards the end of the season.

Talent always finds a way and this kid is an intoxicating talent.

7 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I wouldn't say "stacked" at catcher.  Barnes had a nice season last year but I doubt he out does it this year.  Grandal is on the final year of his contract.

Plus, Keibert could be the key trade piece for LAD's playoff run again much like Willie Calhoun last year.   But yes catchers generally take longer to develop.  But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he saw MLB ABs in 2019 towards the end of the season.

Talent always finds a way and this kid is an intoxicating talent.

Fangraphs has will Smith in the top 100

9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Fangraphs has will Smith in the top 100

Yeah but Keibert already out hit him at the level being 3 years younger.  Will Smith is no blockage for Keibert.  Keibert's already got more hits in spring too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah but Keibert already out hit him at the level being 3 years younger.  Will Smith is no blockage for Keibert.  Keibert's already got more hits in spring too.

That is 3 solid catchers in his way if counting Grandal and Barnes. Most teams barely have one. 

He still has time though, a lot could happen before he is ready.

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I hope yore right, but Will Smith is no slouch and he's a better actual catcher than Ruiz and Barnes has shown excellent plate skills. The dodgers are marching into 2018 with two top 10 catchers on their roster and this hurts both their values for fantasy. They have Farmer and Smith too. These situations often work themselves out, but if you have to wait 2-3 years for Ruiz to share duties with someone else, there's added risk to the already risky proposition of prospecting not to mention the added risk of catcher prospecting.

I agree from a fantasy perspective you want to own Ruiz over Will Smith, but Smith could be a very good catcher and potentially eat some of Ruiz' value for a while. Barnes could still be there too.

4 minutes ago, Professor Turgeson said:

If Ruiz is ready and they think he can help the team, they'll make room for him. 

He's so not ready and the Dodgers have two top 10 catchers on the roster right now.

I really do think Will Smith is more ready to be a major league catcher than Ruiz right now.

Mejia is way more ready than Keibert and he's being blocked by Roberto Perez and Yan Gomes.

Some perspective.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

I didn't say he was ready. WHEN he's ready, they'll make room for him because he has the higher offensive ceiling. All catchers take time. Arguing that Ruiz will take more time as opposed to other catchers doesn't apply IMO. Once he's ready, his ceiling will vault him over anybody else they have in the system. The other Dodger catchers mean very little to me. If you're not comfortable with waiting on a catcher, then don't invest in prospect catchers. Buy the skills and let the rest work itself out.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Professor Turgeson said:

I didn't say he was ready. WHEN he's ready, they'll make room for him because he has the higher offensive ceiling. All catchers take time. Arguing that Ruiz will take more time as opposed to other catchers doesn't apply IMO. Once he's ready, his ceiling will vault him over anybody else they have in the system. The other Dodger catchers mean very little to me. If you're not comfortable with waiting on a catcher, then don't invest in prospect catchers. Buy the skills and let the rest work itself out.    

The Dodgers are smart though.  It's not just about offensive. Pitch framing and defense are incredibly important to them, these are things that Ruiz is quite a bit away from Smith and Barnes are.  You know what else is important with catching? Keeping your catchers healthy.

Austin Barnes put up a 142 WRC+ (in the majors)  last year and will be in his catching prime for 3-4 years most likely. That 142 won't continue, but that's such a ridiculous number that there's plenty of room for it to come down and him to be an excellent catcher. With his pitch framing and defense, even a 110 WRC+ make him an elite guy. Will Smith is being severely underrated in this thread too. There's a reason fangraphs has him ranked in their 100 with only 4 catchers being ranked, Ruiz not one of them.

Maybe the best thing for his dynasty value would be a trade. I've also heard talk of him not sticking at catcher in the Dodgers org.  I'm all for being patient and I love the upside here, but this guy doesn't seem like he's going to get every day at bats until at least the 2020 season, and if he's in the Dodgers with Will Smith or Barnes, there's a decent chance they look to keep both healthy. Then again predicting a catcher AB share 2+ years down the line is pretty silly, but that still works both ways.

I would totally being selling high if someone in my dynasty league thought this was the second coming of Buster Posey and offered me a ton. I guess that's probably the case with anyone, but I'm much more skeptical when it comes to catching because development is much different than normal position players.  When it's all said and done catchers only offer so much fantasy value when they're good. The Gary Sanchez and Buster Posey in his prime guys make a difference, but with Posey that's a hall of famer and Sanchez could be on that track.  The really good catchers like Realmuto, Perez, Conteras have varying impact due to  league format and depth, but it's not like the stats they put up are moving the needle significantly in your overall roto categories. 

There's just a lot of risk right now for fantasy stardom here, and I'm the guy who started this thread because I like Ruiz a lot. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 4

Will Smith is legit, too. His offense has really made strides. It's going to be interesting what the Dodgers catcher landscape looks like in a couple years. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Will Smith is legit, too. His offense has really made strides. It's going to be interesting what the Dodgers catcher landscape looks like in a couple years. 

Smith (21) looks pretty good, but it looks like Keibert (19) will be that much better. Switch hitter and a high contact rate? Low k%? Great remarks in regards to his defense? All checks marked off, though his arm strength seems to be in the area need most improvement. Comparing him to Mejia in High-A:

Mejia

.333/.380/.488 BB% 7.1 K% 13.0 in 184 PA

Ruiz

.315/.344/.497 BB% 4.4 K% 14.4 in  160 PA  

Ruiz was a year younger at high-a than Mejia was so I don't get why he hasn't gotten similar love that Mejia has. As stated above, the smart writers have him ranked just outside the top 50. I don't see why he wouldn't have a chance to compete for a spot in the latter half of 2019 if he continues the way he has thus far.

• Like 2

Just now, thejamman said:

Ruiz was a year younger at high-a than Mejia was so I don't get why he hasn't gotten similar love that Mejia has.l

When  Ruiz does it at double a and triple a he will get more love. I feel like he's gotten plenty of fantasy prospect hype for a 19 year old catcher.

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

When  Ruiz does it at double a and triple a he will get more love. I feel like he's gotten plenty of fantasy prospect hype for a 19 year old catcher.

I just feel like if they are going to rank Mejia well within the top 50 on most sites going into 2017 than Keibert deserves the same going into 2018. He will get it, eventually. Don't mind me, I'm just nervous I won't get to see him in the futures game in DC.

• Like 1