brockpapersizer

Keibert Ruiz- C Dodgers

On 3/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, osb_tensor said:

image.png.4c908f96c8a968b1cf567a5e9ace57a3.png

From a fantasy perspective there's absolutely zero doubt that Keibert is the much higher upside player.  I don't know a whole lot about their defense.  But I will say this, there's no reports claiming Will Smith has incredible defense or anything like that... Does anyone have links describing how great his defense is?  All reports I've read about Keibert do not speaking glowing of his defense but they all reassure that he will stick at catcher.

Ruiz is starting the year in AA as a 19 year old catcher.  Pretty surprising since he only had 38 games at high A and Will Smith is also at AA.  Ruiz DHed the first game and Smith caught and Ruiz caught and Smith DHed the second game.

20 minutes ago, Pap said:

Basically they are competing and winner takes all?

Both currently project to be starting catchers in the majors. If they are still on the same team it's not ideal obviously.

He's been in a little early-season slump prior to today so the 2 HRs were good to see. I'm willing to tolerate some struggles with him though just because of his age and level. Don't see too many 19-year olds in AA and certainly not catchers.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

He's been in a little early-season slump prior to today so the 2 HRs were good to see. I'm willing to tolerate some struggles with him though just because of his age and level. Don't see too many 19-year olds in AA and certainly not catchers.

yeah, the age combined with the level and the fact that he barely even spent any time at high-A, you have to give him some time to get his feet under him. basically ignore this entire first month, at least. unless he starts raking next week, then don't ignore

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wily mo said:

yeah, the age combined with the level and the fact that he barely even spent any time at high-A, you have to give him some time to get his feet under him. basically ignore this entire first month, at least. unless he starts raking next week, then don't ignore

2-3 tonight so far, taking your advice to heart WilyMo!

Ruiz is holding is own in AA. Bounced up to respectable .280ish average. 

This is is a really good sign considering age, level and position correct?

I'm always reading that AA is the test. To be holding his own at his age bodes real well...at least I hope so as I'm all in on him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him a top 25 prospect this summer in some top 100 post.

His low K rate is impressive. Paired with the low walk rate, he probably needs to be a little more selective and wait for pitches he can hit hard. But he only has a 7.4% swinging strike rate which means he's got some real contact skills, especially for his age at AA. He's got plenty of time to refine his approach a little bit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

His low K rate is impressive. Paired with the low walk rate, he probably needs to be a little more selective and wait for pitches he can hit hard. But he only has a 7.4% swinging strike rate which means he's got some real contact skills, especially for his age at AA. He's got plenty of time to refine his approach a little bit.

Agreed.  I think he'll play the whole year in AA then head to AAA next year.  He might get a cup of coffee in September '19.

Fantastic numbers for a 19 yo's first crack at AA. Would love to see some plate discipline stats. 3.5% BB/7.5% K rates suggest he's swinging at everything and hitting it, at the level where secondary pitches with elite movement are coming around.

Saw the s*** and figured it out at 100 PA? The 55 hit tool looks conservative. 

And another bomb tonight.  2-4 HR, already almost matched his HR output from last year.

• Like 1

3-4, double, 2hrs, BB.  Hard to judge the stats as a 20 year old (next week) in AA.  Scouts still seem super high on him even though the numbers this year are not.

Edited by BigPapi44

Two homers and a double tonight. Been a rough year at the plate but that pushes his OPS back over .700 at least.

Still a lot to like given he's a 19-year-old catcher in AA. He's all over the place in midseason rankings, but if he can start to go on a little run he may get more consistent love.

The guy never strikes out. Once the BABIP normalizes, he will look like a monster at his age/level/position.

5 hits in his last 2 games ... His 2018 has been pretty underwhelming so far let's hope he can end on a hot note.

• Like 1

Does he ever get a day off? Kinda crazy that he rarely sits isn't it? I also looked into his defensive statistics (first time ever so I'm no expert), but he struggles preventing stolen base attempts (see I don't even know how to word this haha). Anyway...just speculate that he could use more mental/physical breaks from the looks of things, and the the stress of his defense could be an explanation for the lack of numbers. Still love the fact that his contact skills have remained in tact. 

8 minutes ago, smarmy said:

Does he ever get a day off? Kinda crazy that he rarely sits isn't it? I also looked into his defensive statistics (first time ever so I'm no expert), but he struggles preventing stolen base attempts (see I don't even know how to word this haha). Anyway...just speculate that he could use more mental/physical breaks from the looks of things, and the the stress of his defense could be an explanation for the lack of numbers. Still love the fact that his contact skills have remained in tact. 

He gets days off as all catchers do.  But he has caught 72% of his teams game so that's the lion's share of the catching duties. 

3 more hits today... 8 hits in his last 3 games.  15 in his last 10 games for a .385 average.