BJW5364

Heliot Ramos OF SF

This guy needs a little love on the board. He was the 19th pick of the draft at 17 years old out of Puerto Rico and he's a potential 5 tool stud down the road for the Giants. He's batting .397 in the rookie league in 63 AB's with 3 homers, 19 runs, 12 RBI, and 5 steals. He already has 14 extra base hits. He's raw and strikes out a little too much, but he's been compared to a young Yoenis Cespedes or Yasiel Puig. He's worth taking a look at even though he's a ways away from the big leagues. He's about 6'2 and 190 lbs. right now and runs extremely well and will likely be able to stay in CF in the show.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=671218#/career/R/hitting/2017/ALL

• Like 1

Yeah I was just comparing him to Starling Heredia earlier.  Certainly so far one of the more intriguing bats out of the 2017 draft class.

Currently batting .348/.404/.645 with 10SB after 151PA. Also has a k% of 31.8, but as a 17 year old in rookie league I am intrigued to say the least. Almost half (23) of his 47 hits have been of the extra base variety. Anyone else got any input on this kid?

Edited by thejamman

2 hours ago, thejamman said:

Currently batting .348/.404/.645 with 10SB after 151PA. Also has a k% of 31.8, but as a 17 year old in rookie league I am intrigued to say the least. Almost half (23) of his 47 hits have been of the extra base variety. Anyone else got any input on this kid?

Predraft stuff had the scouts split on him. Half thought he had huge upside with lots of tools and the other half though he might be a quick washout or at very least a guy who would take a long time to put any of those skills into use on a baseball field.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-1-30/

Buff: Has Heliot Ramos gotten some undeserved hype as the top prospect in a weak system, or is he truly someone to get excited about?

Eric A Longenhagen: Tools are crazy. This ball hit the roof of a house just outside the A’s complex. https://streamable.com/6880u

Eric A Longenhagen: He’s raw, but has at least 6 arm, 6 raw power, 7 runner, great young man and teammate.

Awesome athlete but 32% k rate in rookie ball in a decent sample size a big red flag to me. 

• Like 1

I’d be careful dismissing a kid from Puerto Rico in rookie ball for the k-rate alone. The pitching level they’re encountering for the first time is a big jump from what they saw in high school. 

Ramos hit on the showcase circuits (showed out in the all star games).  The K-rate is high, but he was 17 too ... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I’d be careful dismissing a kid from Puerto Rico in rookie ball for the k-rate alone. The pitching level they’re encountering for the first time is a big jump from what they saw in high school. 

Ramos hit on the showcase circuits (showed out in the all star games).  The K-rate is high, but he was 17 too ... 

I completely agree here. The K-rate was about the only not pretty stat. He displayed good speed, power, and batting average despite that at 17 in a short clip at Rookie ball. If he can work on his approach at the plate and cut down the K-rate at 18 years old, easily projects into the Top 20 prospect category. Ceiling could be 20/40 player. Get excited!

Jumping on board with this kid. There's starting to be smoke in the dynasty circles.

Shows up in #16 in Dynasty Guru's Risk Rankings (they grade based purely on upside rather than taking into account downside).

Favorite excerpt from Juiced Ball Sports:

Heliot Ramos

OF

6-2 185 R/ 18 yrs

San Francisco Giants

RK

348/404/645 33/6/27/10 (151 PA)

ETA: 2020

Man do I have a prospect crush on Heliot Ramos! Watching his tape I was instantly reminded of Ronald Acuna’s 2016 tape. And I think he could follow a similar meteoric rise. Let’s get three things out of the way early. One, he strikes out wayyyy too much. Not a shock for a guy who played all of last year at 17 without even moderate struggles, but an over 30% strikeout rate isn’t feasible at higher levels and he needs to become more patient! Two, his stats are inflated by a .500 BABIP. A high BABIP is too expected from Ramos, who crushes the ball and has great speed. But 500 is unrealistic and will come down, so take his absurd slashline with a grain of salt. Three, I don’t really trust the giants to develop him to his potential and they don’t really have the most fantasy friendly ballpark or division. Ok, glad that’s out of the way...now for the good stuff! Ramos has NFL running back speed that with his frame and athleticism should stay as he fills out his frame. This guy is a great athlete from a family of great athletes. He great power potential as evidenced by his bat speed and 645 SLG at 17. And he projects as a good fielder and has a plus arm, so getting into lineups should be no issue. As the Giants only real good prospect, Ramos should be given every chance to succeed by the organization and be the focus of the entire system. The strikeouts are scary, but his ceiling is somewhere between Puig and Acuna, so if you want to own him, buy now before the price gets insane.

Prime Projection

Expectation: 267/325/485 88/24/83/27

Ceiling: 300/355/525 100/29/93/33

Floor: The k/rate never gets better and the BABIP comes down to earth

-Juiced Ball Sports

Juiced Ball Sports full rankings.

Edited by Fenamo
Citations