jetfan1983

Kareem Hunt 2017 Outlook

1 minute ago, BlakeP42 said:

fair points, no doubt about it.  That being said, Hunt is sitting behind a 6th round pick as well, granted from LSU, but Ware def wasn't even in the same area code setting the league on fire in college as well.  I think Reid see's a lot he likes in Hunt.  I do expect Ware to get the bulk of the work to start the season, that just makes too much sense.  Ware has also struggled to stay healthy and with a steady work load at the end of last season he failed to do much, IMO. So i also think that lends itself to the idea of questioning whether Ware can handle a full season work load.    I think KC overall wants both Ware/Hunt to be an effective time share in the long run.   Which player pushes himself further then the other over the course of time will be interesting to watch.  Ware is not an overall great athlete in any form or fashion, but he is a fine player who will contribute heavily if healthy to start this season

Yeah I would agree with most of this. I'm not touting Ware as an exceptional back by any means, I'm just saying I think Hunt's ceiling (in terms of his career as an NFL RB) is a lot lower than people are making it out to be. 

Just now, '71 Bucks said:

Yeah I would agree with most of this. I'm not touting Ware as an exceptional back by any means, I'm just saying I think Hunt's ceiling (in terms of his career as an NFL RB) is a lot lower than people are making it out to be. 

i found your post very valid, and i am a Hunt supporter.  I do think Ware is a fine player as well.   I think Hunt is one of those players, much like Ware, that if he's given the opportunity to make his adjustment to the game and if he can stay healthy himself, he could be a fine player.    Don't forget Ware's career started on the rocks in Seattle.   I do think Hunt is going to have a learning curve stepping up from the MAC to the NFL no doubt about it, but he also does a little bit of everything well and i think he could expand into a better player.  Its a reach to think he's going to out right take Ware's job in year one, but i def think he could push for a timeshare sooner then later.    I want to see Hunt prove he can be a bit more decisive attacking running lanes and i also want to see him commit to pass protection.  

11 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Yep, it is why the transition is so difficult.  Expanded playbooks, faster pace, more skilled athletes.  It is asking a lot for rookies to come in and instantly play well.  Ware has proven he can be the lead back and have success doing so.

agreed here, but just look at the road Ware has had to hoe to get to where he is.  I could see a similar path for Hunt, outside of being cut though.   It def takes time unless you are a bonified STAR stud player, which i don't view either RB here as that.

Edited by BlakeP42

I have faith in Any Reid when it comes to RBs. I could see Hunt getting more playing time come mid season.

3 hours ago, '71 Bucks said:

I'm not sure I see the high upside in Kareem Hunt that a lot of others are seeing. He put up real solid college numbers (in the MAC) but it's not like he set the world on fire. Combine, especially 40 time, was ho-hum. I think people get excited about rookies and tend to project or hope for things that aren't there (*cough* Devontae Booker *cough*). 

Also, it has to be discussed that the NFL success for position players coming out of the MAC, specifically RBs, is frankly quite low. You can peruse the names in the link below, but here are all the MAC running backs drafted in the 4th round or higher since 2000:

- Dri Archer (2014 - Round 3, 97th overall)

- Bernard Pierce (2012 - Round 3, 85th overall)

- Garrett Wolfe (2007 - Round 3, 93rd overall)

- Travis Prentice (2000 - Round 3, 63rd overall)

- Doug Chapman (2000 - Round 3, 88th overall)

The most successful (ever) have probably been Michael Turner (2004 - Round 5, 154th overall) and James Starks (2010 - Round 6, 193rd overall). Now I haven't studied Hunt extensively, but ask yourself what he's done or shown to warrant the upside label and be the most successful MAC running back ever. I think he's a committee member at best, especially in redraft. 

http://www.mac-sports.com/news/2016/4/25/FB_0425162836.aspx

This seems like a little bit of lazy analysis.  You're basically saying: (1) not great combine + (2) small school = low upside.  I think the problem here is that most people haven't actually watched him play.  He is really, really, really good on film.  You can say that he may have looked good against small school competition but I think his performance at the Senior Bowl eased some of those concerns.  He has Marshawn Lynch-esque balance, good size at 216, runs through arm tackles, violent runner, very solid receiver, and has excellent lateral agility.  Plus he landed in a perfect situation which increases his upside.  It just seems pretty unfair to draw your conclusion without commenting on who he is as a player.

5 hours ago, JHM_13 said:

I have faith in Any Reid when it comes to RBs. I could see Hunt getting more playing time come mid season.

To me this is the main reason to be high on Hunt.  The lead RB in Reid's offense puts up numbers.  And KC invested major draft capital to move up to get this guy.  That doesn't mean KC will play him right away; they could think of him as a mix-in piece this year and a feature guy in 2018.  But there is a real reason to think that he will be their top performing back this year, which makes him very intriguing.

5 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Curious to see if he'll be able to pass protect at the NFL level. Always a big question when it comes to rookie RBs.

It's the question people aren't asking enough about Kamara in NO. 

I have to admit i'm becoming more and more interested in this guy as we get closer to the season

Arrowhead Pride's Pete Sweeney reports third-round RB Kareem Hunt continues to see more first-team reps at Chiefs camp.

It is not a surprise after coach Andy Reid said Hunt has been a quick study early in camp. After seeing his increasing workload, Sweeney is "starting to think" Hunt could win the starting job during the preseason, which would mean beating out Spencer Ware. This will be one of the most important fantasy battles to watch during the preseason.

By the time we draft, any edge I had in drafting this guy will be long gone it seems.  

Spencer Ware is as JAG as it gets.  There is a reason they took Hunt in the draft.  

it's Andy Reid, I'm not betting the house on ware or kareem and cj spiller is making some noise.  kelce is the only skills player i trust on this team. Everyone else is a mystery for the regular season. Oh yeah I also trust Amith will go into ultimate game manager mode and have amnesia when it comes to throwing a deep ball.

His value is completely up in the air until we see what his role is.

He could very realistically end up getting 90% of the backfield touches, he could just as easily end up getting 50 carries all year. Anywhere in between is possible too.

Personally, I'll probably steer clear unless he wins the job outright. Just don't have the appetite for a committee in a mediocre, risk averse offense.

7 hours ago, SpartanEric said:

By the time we draft, any edge I had in drafting this guy will be long gone it seems.  

Spencer Ware is as JAG as it gets.  There is a reason they took Hunt in the draft.  

Gotta pay to play, scared money don't make money.

If he's still on the board 7th-9th round I'd take the gamble.

11 hours ago, SpartanEric said:

They took him in round 3. Teams take RBs all the time in rounds 3 and 4, even if they dont need them. I do think Ware is a little better than a JAG but yeah he's nothing special. Reid isnt a huge fan of him.

4 hours ago, beware d-ware said:

He could very realistically end up getting 90% of the backfield touches, he could just as easily end up getting 50 carries all year. Anywhere in between is possible too.

Personally, I'll probably steer clear unless he wins the job outright. Just don't have the appetite for a committee in a mediocre, risk averse offense.

Andy Reid has produced some excellent fantasy backs, going back to Westbrook and then McCoy. 

Ware isn't good.  Don't know a whole lot about Hunt but the Chiefs had him targeted in the draft. 

Of course, it always has the chance to be a 3 headed monster all season, but it's worth a shot here.  My money is on Hunt being better than Ware, and talent wins out. 

I'm getting more and more concerned about Spencer Ware's starting role.

Hunt is the player to own, especially at his ADP.

Source: ArrowheadPride.com - Pete Sweeney

Kansas City Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt is seeing increased work with the first-team as time goes on and could potentially work himself into the starting running back this preseason, according to ArrowheadPride.com's Pete Sweeney.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:11 PM, beware d-ware said:

By that time you will be trying to outbid the other sharps in your league. The idea is to jump on potential "League winners" before they show it. I do auction drafts and in 3 weeks i might be able to get hunt for $1 instead of Week 2 or 3 when he COULD explode and everyone in my league is bidding on him. Lets just keep the dialogue going. 

How high do you think he will go in rookie drafts? I'm really intrigued by this guy, but I am unsure whether he will be there at pick 1.9.  I've checked mocks and he has went late round 2, but that doesn't seem right with him possibly winning the job in preseason.

13 minutes ago, jcedwards said:

How high do you think he will go in rookie drafts? I'm really intrigued by this guy, but I am unsure whether he will be there at pick 1.9.  I've checked mocks and he has went late round 2, but that doesn't seem right with him possibly winning the job in preseason.

It's really all going to come down to your particular league/settings. I've seen him go as high as 1.06 post-Mike Williams injury. In my other Dynasty he was off the board with the 14th pick. 

The consensus top 5 is set in stone for the most part, but it's an absolute wildcard after that.

Good luck, I think he is a really good talent in a nice situation. If you really want him then you may make a play in trading up. I know in both leagues the owners are very, very reluctant to part with him post-draft. 

Mediocre back, but we've seen the likes of spencer ware being useful in a run oriented offense. The one thing he really has going for him is his ball security; he never fumbles. i wouldnt reach for him, but if you're WR heavy from the earlier rounds, this is a guy you can easily target. 

Even if Hunt doesn't pass Ware for the starting job, he's already passed West for the #2/passing down gig; which means 45% or more of the RB snaps in a given week depending on Reid's mood. For whatever reason, they don't trust Ware as an every-down back so Hunt will get opportunities early. His college film is not strong IMO. But Andy Reid, if nothing else, is good about putting RBs in position to be successful. I like Hunt for a depth guy to hopefully be a strong reinforcement play come Week 7 of the fantasy season.

Watching the film on hunt and he looks built for the NFL. Is it crazy for me to have him ahead of Cook in terms of long term potential?

Just now, boshink said:

Watching the film on hunt and he looks built for the NFL. Is it crazy for me to have him ahead of Cook in terms of long term potential?

Not at all. He's better than Cook.

Sometimes natural football players don't jump off the highlight reel, but I think this guy has a knack for the game and will do well (given the opportunity is there).

On 7/28/2017 at 6:58 PM, joshua18 said:

It's the question people aren't asking enough about Kamara in NO. 

Because Kamara is buried.