Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Darcmenace

2010 World Cup

I'm Korean American, so go SOUTH KOREA AND USA!

I can't believe argentina has a chance of not making.

Never been to a world cup event, but while i was in Korea i went to an international friendly game. Damn, the fans get CRAZY!!!

there was some random white dude that ran onto the field and almost everyone around me was in shock or didn't understand what he was doing.

Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) has now qualified in the Africa bracket.

Current leaders of qualifying brackets....

AFRICA, stage 3, 4 places remain: Cameroon, Tunisia, Algeria; Egypt

ASIA/OCEANIA playoff: New Zealand vs. Bahrain, today, the winner qualifies for SA2010

EUROPE, 10 places remain: Denmark, Switzerland, Slovakia, Serbia, Italy; Russia, Finland, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ireland

NORTH/CENTRAL AMERICA/CARIBBEAN, stage 3, 3.5 places remain: USA, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica*

SOUTH AMERICA, 2.5 places remain: Chile, Ecuador, Argentina*

* the 5th place team from NoCenAmer/Carib will play the 4th place team from SoAmer for a spot

In so far....

Africa

Côte d'Ivoire

Ghana

Asia

Australia

Japan

North Korea

South Korea

Europe

Denmark

England

Germany

Italy

The Netherlands

Serbia

Slovakia

Spain

Switzerland

North, Central America and Caribbean

Honduras

Mexico

USA

Oceania

New Zealand will play Asia's 5th place Bahrain on 11/14 in New Zealand, winner-take-all. They tied in the 1st leg, 0-0, back in October.

South America

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Paraguay

The 32-team field has been filled out after final qualifying matches were held yesterday....

Africa

Algeria, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa

Asia

Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea

Europe

Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland

North, Central America and Caribbean

Honduras, Mexico, USA

Oceania

New Zealand

South America

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

The final spot for Europe came down to a playoff between France and Ireland, with France winning on a controversial goal. French striker Thierry Henry admitted getting his hands on the ball before passing to William Gallas, who headed in the winner. The Swedish ref refused to consider the Irish protests, and needless to say, they're pissed....not only for that, but because of the process that got them to that point in the first place: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...EqxDiMR2mwEjpyQ and http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...aHeBC-LqaPrBk7A

FIFA still has to determine seedings before the Final Draw to determine the groups for the initial stages of next year's tournament. South Africa, #85 in the world, gets a top seed simply by being the host country, but the other 31 slots, including the seven other Group #1 seeds, are up in the air.

The Final Draw will be held on Friday, December 4th at 12pm Eastern, and will be televised on ESPN2.

Guest ciderjack6

So France almost didnt get in the World Cup? Damn, how did it come to that?

So France almost didnt get in the World Cup? Damn, how did it come to that?

France should not have got to the finals. Thierry Henry handled the ball in the lead up to their winning goal against Ireland, disgraceful cheating. I cannot articulate on this forum my feelings towards that man as I would be banned in a nano second.

I don't care who wins the world cup as long as those cheating, ---- don't.

Good luck to the USA, you've got a decent team and should have another good run.

Here are some projected pots:

POT 1

South Africa

Brazil

Spain

Italy

Germany

Argentina

England

France

POT 2

Holland

Portugal

Slovenia

Switzerland

Greece

Serbia

Denmark

Slovakia

POT 3

Ivory Coast

Ghana

Cameroon

Nigeria

Algeria

Paraguay

Chile

Uruguay

POT 4

South Korea

North Korea

Australia

New Zealand

United States

Mexico

Honduras

I think best case scenario for the US in this case: South Africa, Serbia, Uruguay

Knowing they try to separate teams from the same conference, I put Uruguay over Algeria, although clearly I'd rather play Algeria. However, Uruguay-Algeria is a much smaller difference than a Brazil-South Africa

Pot 1 I'd be least willing to face Germany. They seem to put away the games that they are assumed to win easily. Spain we have shown we can beat, which gives a slight chance of hope. Brazil, although they mauled us the first game in the CC, needed to fight back in the second to win it. Argentina was weak throughout most of qualifying. France shouldn't even be here without winning by penalty kicks. I'd put it Germany-Brazil-Spain-Italy-England-France-Argentina-South Africa in order of teams I'd least like to face.

Netherlands-Portugal-Greece-Slovakia-Denmark-Slovenia-Serbia

Serbia won in an easy group minus France.

For the other group, I'm not even going to pretend I know much about them- all I know is Eto'o on Cameroon, Essien on Ghana, and Drogba and Kalou on Ivory Coast. What I do know is that I'd most like to face Algeria or Uruguay.

Other opinions?

I would have loved to watch and post along with the draw, but I got stuck at work today. Here are the eight groups that will face each other to kick off the tournament (Group G looks like it's the Group of Death this time):

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B - Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Group C - England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group E - Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F - Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G - Brazil, North Korea, Côte d'Ivoire, Portugal

Group H - Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Good group for the USA. I would love it if you beat England in the first game. Slovenia are under-rated. They had an excellent defensive record in qualifying and beat the excellent Russian team in the play-offs, they will be tough to beat. But considering you could have got Portugal or France instead Slovenia is a nice draw. Algeria caused a shock by beating Egypt to qualify and most of their players play in the French league, they stunned the world by beating the Germans in the 1982 world cup, but it's difficult seeing them qualify from this group.

I would fancy Spain to win the tournament, they have such strength and quality in depth, and should have no problem progressing from that group.

The US team's opening round schedule will be (all time Eastern):

Saturday, June 12 @ 2:30pm - England

Friday, June 18 @ 10am - Slovenia

Wednesday, June 23 @ 10am - Algeria

The England match will be at the same Rustenberg stadium at which they beat Egypt to earn a place in the Confederations Cup championship match. The Slovenia match will be in Johannesburg, where they lost to Brazil.

The US team's opening round schedule will be (all time Eastern):

Saturday, June 12 @ 2:30pm - England

Friday, June 18 @ 10am - Slovenia

Wednesday, June 23 @ 10am - Algeria

The England match will be at the same Rustenberg stadium at which they beat Egypt to earn a place in the Confederations Cup championship match. The Slovenia match will be in Johannesburg, where they lost to Brazil.

So what do you think here Tim? 2-1 or are they going to drop one against Slovenia or Algeria. Slovenia seems like they're going to be tough.

So what do you think here Tim? 2-1 or are they going to drop one against Slovenia or Algeria. Slovenia seems like they're going to be tough.

I think they have an excellent chance to advance, and a lot depends on the mindset they take into the matches.

The talent gap between England and USA seems to be shrinking, even though they'll be favorites heading into the match. If they come out of that with at least a Draw, they should be riding high heading into Slovenia. I don't know much about the Algerian side, but the feeling is that they should take that one.

The 23-man American team will be announced tomorrow at 1pm.

There's currently 30 players still under consideration (and their club teams):

Goalkeepers:

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

Marcus Hahnemann (Wolves)

Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders:

Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes)

Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96)

Jay DeMerit (Watford)

Clarence Goodson (IK Stuart)

Chad Marshall (Columbus)

Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan)

Heath Pearce (FC Dallas)

Jonathan Spector (West Ham)

Midfielders:

DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers)

Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro SK)

Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt)

Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

Maurice Edu (Rangers)

Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus)

Stuart Holden (Bolton)

Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA)

Robbie Rogers (Columbus)

Jose Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards:

Jozy Altidore (Villareal)

Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy)

Brian Ching (Houston)

Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)

Herculez Gomez (Puebla FC)

Eddie Johnson (Aris Thessaloniki FC)

The Final American Roster for South Africa:

Goalkeepers:

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

Marcus Hahnemann (Wolves)

Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders:

Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes)

Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96)

Jay DeMerit (Watford)

Clarence Goodson (IK Stuart)

Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan)

Jonathan Spector (West Ham)

Midfielders:

DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers)

Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt)

Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

Maurice Edu (Rangers)

Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus)

Stuart Holden (Bolton)

Jose Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards:

Jozy Altidore (Villareal)

Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy)

Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)

Herculez Gomez (Puebla FC)

This will be the 3rd WC appearance for Cherundulo, Donovan and Beasley, and Donovan is the high man in WC caps, with 8, and overall international caps with 121. All four forwards will be making their first WC appearance; expect Bradley to lean heavily on the Midfielders for both offense and leadership.

There are still tickets available for their final tune-up in this country, this Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field in Philly vs. Turkey at 2pm. ESPN2 will be airing it.

Injury updates:

USA striker Jozy Altidore injured his ankle in training and is considered day-to-day.

Ivory Coast star striker and Captain, Didier Drogba, broke a bone "close to the elbow" in a friendly against Japan, and may miss the tournament.

England defender and Captain Rio Ferdinand suffered knee ligament damage during training, and is out for the tournament. He'll be replaced on the England roster by Michael Dawson, and Steven Gerrard will lead the squad.

Couple of more injuries......

Netherlands winger Arjen Robben is a question mark after injuring a hamstring in a friendly against Hungary. Robben was continuing his strong play from the end of the German season and had scored two goals in the match before going down. The Dutch are fearing he will miss the whole tournament.

Nigeria midfielder Jon Obi Mikel is out after failing to sufficiently recover from knee surgery in May. He becomes the third Chelsea player to be ruled out of the tournament, joining Ghana's Michael Essien and Germany's Michael Ballack.

Ivory Coast star striker and Captain, Didier Drogba, broke a bone "close to the elbow" in a friendly against Japan, and may miss the tournament.

Drogba has had what is being called successful surgery on the arm, but there is no indication of how many matches he might miss.

The Ivorians are in this year's "Group of Death" with Brazil, Portugal and North Korea.

The American Men defeated the Australians, 3-1, in their final tune-up before they face England next Saturday.

Edson Buddle scored the first two goals of his international career in the first half, and late substitute Herculez Gomez scored in added time. Tim Cahill scored the lone goal for the Socceroos.

The Nats had a fourth goal disallowed when Clint Dempsey was ruled offside during a 51st minute skirmish in front of net which saw Buddle hit the crossbar and a Michael Bradley attempt was desperately saved by the Aussies' Mark Schwarzer.

Guest ciderjack6

I'm not going to be able to see many games with the time zone difference... B)

I'm not going to be able to see many games with the time zone difference... B)

It's going to be tough, sure. I'll obviously be watching on Saturday, but the 10am-ish start times (Eastern) the others run conflict to my work schedule.

I'm going to look into various avenues to deal with it, be it smart phone apps or something to the effect. If anybody has a good one to pass along, please feel free to do so.

Any new news on Drogba?

Any new news on Drogba?

The latest news I've seen is that he's got a cast on the arm and is still day-to-day. They don't play until next Tuesday, so there's still a chance he could play. Ivory Coast has until Monday to decide if they're going to replace him.

FWIW, the Ivorians had a tune-up against a 2nd-division Swiss team in which they used all of the remaining strikers, and they generated a single goal.

Robben, who was named German "Footballer of the Year" yesterday, has been ruled out of the Dutch opener vs. Denmark on Monday. Comments from their camp indicate that they hope to have him available at some point in the knock-out rounds.

Portugal winger Nani is out for the tournament after injuring his collarbone in training on Friday. The Man United regular was expected to be a key part of the Portuguese attack.

France defender William Gallas is refusing to speak to the media and blew off a scheduled press conference today. Some in the French media are speculating that the Arsenal captain is protesting the naming of Man United's Patrice Evra team captain instead of former Gallas teammate, Thierry Henry.

Serbia defender Nemanja Vidic is still out with a virus, but is expected to be available for their opener against Ghana on Sunday. He's missed two friendlies and hasn't trained in a about a week.

So who had Siphiwe Tshabalala in the pool for first goal of the tournament? B)

I didn't get to see either match due to work, but have read that the French didn't look very good. Anybody catch that one?