Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Darcmenace

2010 World Cup

I feel sorry for you guys.

The USA were robbed, no question about it. The ref was pathetic all game. If this kind of refereeing had happened in a game featuring one of the top teams, the ref would be in some deep s***.

But in spite of this set back, the USA can still qualify for the round of 16 if they beat Algeria. That is, unless England draw with Algeria in their final group game.

I feel sorry for you guys.

The USA were robbed, no question about it. The ref was pathetic all game. If this kind of refereeing had happened in a game featuring one of the top teams, the ref would be in some deep s***.

But in spite of this set back, the USA can still qualify for the round of 16 if they beat Algeria. That is, unless England draw with Algeria in their final group game.

Assuming you mean Slovenia. The US has to beat Algeria no question about that so that would put the US with 5 points and a minimum of a +1 goal differential with at least 4 goals scored.

Here are the scenarios right now:

England wins both of their next two. England in US in.

England wins today but ties against Slovenia. 3-way tie at 5 points, US in good position if they can either beat Algeria by more than one or score more than one goal in a one goal win.

England doesn't get 4 points in their next two games. US and Slovenia in.

England ties today and beats Slovenia, US and England in.

Basically there's no realistic scenario where the US can make it in without a win. It could happen if England so happened to tie all 3 and the US does too, but I can't see England not winning today truthfully.

England and Algeria tie. That should be very good for the US.

England and Algeria tie. That should be very good for the US.

Absolutely! Win and they're in...

Assuming you mean Slovenia. The US has to beat Algeria no question about that so that would put the US with 5 points and a minimum of a +1 goal differential with at least 4 goals scored.

Here are the scenarios right now:

England wins both of their next two. England in US in.

England wins today but ties against Slovenia. 3-way tie at 5 points, US in good position if they can either beat Algeria by more than one or score more than one goal in a one goal win.

England doesn't get 4 points in their next two games. US and Slovenia in.

England ties today and beats Slovenia, US and England in.

Basically there's no realistic scenario where the US can make it in without a win. It could happen if England so happened to tie all 3 and the US does too, but I can't see England not winning today truthfully.

Yes, i meant Slovenia.

Forget what i said, i had assumed England would win today. They were absolutely AWFUL.

You guys must be even angrier about the ref now. Had that goal not been disallowed, you would be almost as good as through, assuming you didn't lose the final game.

Yes, i meant Slovenia.

Forget what i said, i had assumed England would win today. They were absolutely AWFUL.

You guys must be even angrier about the ref now. Had that goal not been disallowed, you would be almost as good as through, assuming you didn't lose the final game.

The more I see of it, the more livid I become.

I saw where Eric Wynalda is demanding an inquiry, and I don't blame him. I don't know if this would qualify as the kind of "technical error" that would allow a review, but calling a phantom foul - or even worse, ignoring the obvious to make the wrong call - is IMHO legit grounds.

England looks like they just want to go home.

No, nothing will be done. I don't know how many of you remember the 2002 World Cup - but in that tournament, South Korea knocked out Italy and Spain en route to the semis because of some horrendously biased refereeing. The final result is set in stone. But at least people who watched it will know what truly happened. But the referees' careers suffered big time as a consequence...the least the US can do is draw further attention to it, so this guy never referees another game at top level.

Anyway, i just hope this doesn't overshadow the US playing a very poor first half. They have some real problems to address based on that showing.

No, nothing will be done. I don't know how many of you remember the 2002 World Cup - but in that tournament, South Korea knocked out Italy and Spain en route to the semis because of some horrendously biased refereeing. The final result is set in stone. But at least people who watched it will know what truly happened. But the referees' careers suffered big time as a consequence...the least the US can do is draw further attention to it, so this guy never referees another game at top level.

I know, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Coulibaly won't be drawing any prominent assignments for a while, but as you pointed out, sometimes drawing attention to something so that it can't happen again helps out in the long run.

There's a replay at 8, which I'll be checking out, so I'll be able to see it in proper context.

Anyway, i just hope this doesn't overshadow the US playing a very poor first half. They have some real problems to address based on that showing.

Quoted for truth.....this is twice in a row that they come out flat and put themselves in a hole.

You don't win against better teams doing that.

Guest ciderjack6

Love the world cup also because every 4 years we get to hear people complaining about

Ties

Lack of Scoring

Stoppage Time

Continously running clock

Yellow Cards

Taking Dives

etc

I caught this line from a Phil McNulty blog at BBC, which seems to sum things up pretty well on the state of the England team:

The fact that a bird flew into the middle of the action and landed on the top of Algeria's net, then perched blissfully undisturbed, was a fitting symbol of England's impotence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/201..._the_brink.html

I read an article about people starting facebook groups wanting to kill/harm Coulibaly. Don't get me wrong, the major missed call wasn't the only horrible call in that game, but really? Same thing with the whole Jim Joyce thing with the perfect game. Why on Earth do people find it in any way okay to desire to physically harm someone for making a mistake. If the US doesn't advance they will have plenty to blame without even thinking about officiating. From the looks of it Coulibaly won't be reffing another match at the World Cup, that should be more than enough for any fan/player/coach.

Funny quote on team England there. I also thought it was funny that they had a newspaper cover after the draw was announced that said

England

Algeria

Slovenia

Yanks

If they don't beat Slovenia, I can't imagine how much will be written on what an utter failure the World Cup will have been for them.

France and Japan are now complaining of traitors in their locker rooms that are giving their secrets away to others. We really need soccer on the world stage more often than once every four years. This stuff is comedic gold.

Tweet of the day (from the UK Guardian):

England visit orphanage in SA. "It's good to put a smile on faces of people with no hope, facing the impossible," said Jamal Umboto, aged 6

I thought that today was marked by two things:

1. The impressive performance of New Zealand in drawing with Italy. They were clearly the better team in every way shape and form and probably deserved the three points they would have gotten had Chris Wood's strike been a few inches to the left. Mark Paston was excellent in net.

2. The complete inability by Stephane Lannoy to maintain control of the Brazil/Ivory Coast match which devolved into a nasty physical confrontation and a suspension for Kaka. I don't know what the Elephants' strategy was, but it didn't work, and what should have been one of the best matches of the weekend finished with a black eye.

Oh, and by the way.....not only did he let mayhem rule at the end but he missed two handballs by Fabiano on his second goal. Koman Coulibaly may have made a historic error, by Mr. Lannoy's performance was equally noteworthy, IMO.

Big day tomorrow. Portugal has Brazil coming up so they really need a big win. If they don't, Ivory Coast could put up a big goal differential with N. Korea and advance. Prediction: Ivory Coast seems to have a better offensive outlook as far as putting up a lot of goals. If Portugal doesn't score at least 2 and put up a clean sheet, I wouldn't be feeling real good to be them going into the final opening round matches.

In the final bracket's second round games I look for Spain to regain their edge in their group. I couldn't believe the Swiss beat them. Watching them in the Confederation's Cup I had them going deep.

Tuesday we get some fixtures for the round of 16 set. Exciting times!!

Things have gotten so bad in the French camp that Domenech is now admitting that some players may boycott their final match against South Africa tomorrow.

I haven't seen any names, but Patrice Evra is likely, as is William Gallas and Anelka's Chelsea teammate Florent Malouda (I'm guessing). Evra was visibly arguing with Domenech before yesterday's aborted training session, and Gallas was the one who began a media boycott, allegedly protesting Domenech's decision to name Evra captain.

The French players are getting hit in the pocketbook back home; a bank has postponed a new ad campaign featuring many of the players, and Anelka has lost a fast-food endorsement.

Meanwhile, John Terry has apparently stepped on many toes by saying out loud what many have been writing, Joe Cole needs to be on the pitch. Many of his teammates felt it was out of bounds, and Capello reacted by saying that (I'm paraphrasing), "Terry needs to shut up".

According the UK Guardian, many senior members of the team agree, and the former captain is in danger of becoming a locker room pariah.

One more thing......

The Bad Timing Award goes to Korean Central TV Broadcasting Station, who for the first time ever, aired a live World Cup match featuring North Korea today.

Fans all over North Korea got to stay up past 1am to watch their side get demolished by Portugal in the 3rd most lopsided match in World Cup history.

See ya, France.....hope the door hits ya on the way out.

Worst Captain Ever Award goes to Patrice Evra, for.....well......does it really need to be said? Okay, I'll say it....the guy can't even get an apology right:

"It's time for us to apologise" added Evra, who insisted the French squad would give up their World Cup bonuses. "It hurts even more because that could have been done on Monday. I could have done it as the team captain but the coach would not let me."

Amazing finish, one of the best moments ever for the US team.

Donovan with a goal in the 91st minute...USA wins it's group

What a win for the USA!!!

Hollywood style game. Algeria had their chances, and this favoured the USA - because if they weren't in with a chance of qualifying themselves, they would played for a 0-0 draw as consolation. Algeria had most of their numbers in the USA half and that led to the 4 on 2 on the counterattack which produced the goal. Algeria hit the post, Dempsey had a shot off the post. Pressure was exchanged back and forth...this was a real thriller but the USA held their nerve. Remember, the Yanks were just THREE MINUTES away from being eliminated.

The ref once again screwing the USA - Dempsey had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Thats the Hollywood style i was referring to - the underdog winning even though forces worked against him.

Unbelievably, the USA have TOPPED their group. Now if Germany finishes 1st (which is likely) then the USA will avoid them and play Serbia. Not an easy game, but easier than Germany.

Enjoy it, guys.

Unbelievable finish for the Americans!! I'm guessing it's going to be Ghana or Serbia next round.

Absolutely incredible. Entire office went bonkers. Sounded like a bar.

Just wow. I'd love for us to make a run of some sorts, but I'm not sure we can stand up there with the big boys.