Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Darcmenace

2010 World Cup

Well said predator...I can't count how many times American strikers got behind the D or had a good shot and instead of being creative, they shot it right at the goalie. They haven't developed the moves needed to score in simple situations like one on ones with the goalie. Only Donovan had the ability to that.

A part of me also thinks that America doesn't care because of how outdated it is. Today was a fine example. England losing a goal, and Argentina getting a ridiculous goal that was offsides. Not to mention, the goals America was robbed of. Why play a game where refs can screw things up so horribly? Even baseball has accepted replay a sport that's slower than soccer.

Guest ciderjack6

The Dutch continue to quietly go about their business. Anyone give them a shot against Brazil?

The Dutch continue to quietly go about their business. Anyone give them a shot against Brazil?

Congrats Oranje!

I'm at work and didn't see it.....how did they look?

Congrats Oranje!

I'm at work and didn't see it.....how did they look?

ehhh brazil out played them but they got pretty lucky with 2 crappy goals

Guest ciderjack6

Didn't get to see it but I heard the Dutch outplayed Brazil in the 2nd half...

I very much enjoyed watching Ghana lose today, after the crap they pulled in the USA game faking injuries and having guys carted off to waste time after they got the lead. Especially since they lost it in such gut wrenching fashion. Karma is a bitch.

Germany's second-half dismantling of Argentina was truly a sight to behold.

Despite being down early, Argentina still looked at times like the better side in the 1st half, but Germany just took it to them after halftime, and after going up by two, you could the match belonged to the Germans.

I'm rooting for Spain this afternoon, as I'd love to see these two go after each other.

David Villa strikes again...What a crazy game. Germany vs Spain should be a great match.

All four quarterfinals absolute epics. So much drama and thrill in all of them. I'd recommend anyone to download the ones you may have missed.

Anyone can win it at this point, but i'm tempted to go for Spain.

Guest ciderjack6

I hope Uruguay doesn't win. I don't need to see them run out of gas in the final and lose 3-0.

So.....it's down to Spain and The Netherlands

With friends in the Netherlands Antilles, my heart is for the Oranje. My head says the Spanish backline is the difference.

So.....it's down to Spain and The Netherlands

With friends in the Netherlands Antilles, my heart is for the Oranje. My head says the Spanish backline is the difference.

I think the Dutch are going to take it. Spain has great defense, but they've had the luxury of playing from ahead most of the time. I highly doubt they keep Holland from scoring.

I think the Dutch are going to take it. Spain has great defense, but they've had the luxury of playing from ahead most of the time. I highly doubt they keep Holland from scoring.

No chance.

I'll bet my left nut that Spain wins this. Holland have no chance.

In all my years of watching football, i have never seen a single international team as good as this Spanish side. You will never see another team that can pass the ball as flawlessly as they can and retain possession as quickly. You will never see a team that can move the ball forward with a few passes at pace with such ridiculous ease. They just never lose the ball.

They completely outplayed an excellent German side in the semifinal and even though Holland have more of a goal threat in them, they simply aren't in the same league as Spain. The only way they can win is if they take the lead with a goal or 2, even then it's difficult to see them surviving the Spanish onslaught. If Spain score first, it will most definitely be game over.

It's great how Spain have played this tournament almost perfectly since the knockout rounds - getting better and better with each game. Yesterday was their best match of the tournament and the final will be an equally good, if not, better performance. They seem to have mastered the art of peaking at the right time.

I'd go for another 1-0 or 2-0 win for Spain. Will probably stick a few bucks on it.

No chance.

I'll bet my left nut that Spain wins this. Holland have no chance.

In all my years of watching football, i have never seen a single international team as good as this Spanish side. You will never see another team that can pass the ball as flawlessly as they can and retain possession as quickly. You will never see a team that can move the ball forward with a few passes at pace with such ridiculous ease. They just never lose the ball.

They completely outplayed an excellent German side in the semifinal and even though Holland have more of a goal threat in them, they simply aren't in the same league as Spain. The only way they can win is if they take the lead with a goal or 2, even then it's difficult to see them surviving the Spanish onslaught. If Spain score first, it will most definitely be game over.

It's great how Spain have played this tournament almost perfectly since the knockout rounds - getting better and better with each game. Yesterday was their best match of the tournament and the final will be an equally good, if not, better performance. They seem to have mastered the art of peaking at the right time.

I'd go for another 1-0 or 2-0 win for Spain. Will probably stick a few bucks on it.

Good call. Both sides missed some good opportunities and Spain finally struck when it looked like it was going to extra time.

I was right about the result, but wrong about how it was going to be played. The Dutch gave Spain their toughest match yet. I expected a complete mismatch, but this one could have gone either way.

Although i was shocked at how dirty they played with all the excessive fouling which went unpunished. The referee was pathetic as well. It really was a dreadful game for the most part - niether team was anywhere near it's best and chances were created as a result of mistakes, instead of quality football. It would have been a shame had Holland won with their filthy play.

But overall, not a bad World Cup. The group stage was dull for the most part, but the knockout stage up until the final, was absolutely fantastic. This has been the best World Cup since France 1998.

I've learned of another footnote to the World Cup, one far more sinister and roughly on par with the execution of Escobar in Colombia 16 years ago.

I'm posting this in the spirit of illustrating to what lengths people in other countries go to place importance on the game and the image of the country, and am not making political commentary about North Korea: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=9670

It was noted at the time that after the team qualified, North Korean media lavished praise on the "leadership" and "inspiration" which came from Kim Jong-ils'' son and heir apparent. Workers’ Party meetings and lectures for students were organized to celebrate “Young Gen. Kim Jong Un’s accomplishment."

The speculation was that if the team did poorly that it would be viewed in Pyongyand as a "betrayal" and leave the players subject to punishment by a regime that knows little and cares less about the norms of human decency. Sadly, reports from Radio Free Asia and the South Korean media indicate that those fears were well founded.

In early July, the entire team - with the exception of the two players who were born in Japan - were summoned to an auditorium where, on the stage in front of 400 people, they were subjected to a six hour public humiliation.

This was followed by individual confessions of failure by each individual player, who were then forced to denounce North Korean coach Kim Jung Hun who was not in attendance.......Observers are saying that this choice of words likely means that Coach Kim's safety is in jeopardy.

As it is, it is being widely reported that the coach has been stripped of his Workers' Party membership, been made a prisoner of the State and sent to work as a slave laborer in a punishment oriented construction project.

The mind boggles.....