lipitorkid

Keston Hiura 2B MIL

58 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Wow. These are crazy numbers, but there’s certain guys this wouldn’t make you flinch. But Hiura?? What is happening? 

I could be odd base here but my two cents. I think before the Brewers signed Moose there was a real possibility of a big league call up.i feel he is a bit distracted and disappointed it didn't happen. A bit more time and he will right the ship.

Idk- but after how good this guy looked in the AFL to close the season, and then how impressive he was in ST, I am sure it is just a mini slump.

Get it outta the way...because there is still plenty of paths to full-time big league ABs soon.

Oddly enough, despite striking out in 13 of his 25 at bats, Hiura is still sitting with a .320 BA and a 1.026 OPS. When he is hitting it, he's hitting it hard.

2-3 with a HR yesterday. It's just an aggressive swing mini slump. This kid is a hitting machine. He was probably ticked off for not making the MLB roster, and swinging at everything thrown at him.

After striking out 14 of his first 21 ABs to open the season, he's only struck out 3 times in his last 17 ABs. Has picked up 5 hits over those 17 ABs, including 3 HR. 

• Like 1

I own him in a dynasty so I am pretty high on the guy. His only real weakness this year is that the Brewers are a good contending team and they will push win now over development later. Even then moving Moose to short over Arcia or to 3B over travis Shaw  making room for Keston is plausible.

I don't see the Brewers moving Moose to SS.  They should try Keston at SS in the minors to see if he can handle it.

57 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Am I the only one not insanely high on him for fantasy purposes?

Prob not the only...I am very big on him, but I have shifted my philosophy over to heavily favoring exceptional hit tools when you can identify them...and he has one, and he can lift the ball plenty too. These balls in use for baseball are nuts, just fly like super balls. The fact he can do what he can with the bat, plus he does have solid speed, then factoring in his home digs...it's hard to find reasons to not be awfully excited imo.

5 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I don't see the Brewers moving Moose to SS.  They should try Keston at SS in the minors to see if he can handle it.

My opinion is Moose could prob get by just enough at SS to play a bit. Not Hiura though, he's barely good enough at 2B and they don't wanna stress his elbow with the sort of plays you have to make at SS. There are plenty of avenues for him to play 2B for half the season or better, if he hits like he's capable they will figure it out.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:53 AM, jb_power said:

Not a chance.  He's still a work in progress at 2B.

9 hours ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

The K rate is very worrisome early on for me. If he is selling out AVG for power, I would be selling him instantly. 

Come on now, we are talking 2 whole weeks of sample here!

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Come on now, we are talking 2 whole weeks of sample here!

It's enough of a sample to at least monitor. I own Hiura in a shallow dynasty so it's not like I dislike him. Just don't want to see him turn into one of those 30+ K rate guys. 

8 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

It's enough of a sample to at least monitor. I own Hiura in a shallow dynasty so it's not like I dislike him. Just don't want to see him turn into one of those 30+ K rate guys. 

he's played in 12 total games:

• in the first six games he had a 59.1% k-rate
  • in the last six games he had a 28.0% k-rate

the first six games of the season is enough of a sample size to suggest monitoring for concern? even when considering the last six games he's not exhibited the same problem?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

the first six games of the season is enough of a sample size to suggest monitoring for concern? even when considering the last six games he's not exhibited the same problem?

Isn't stabilization rates for K's @ like 60 PA? And 28% K rate is still not great considering he's hovered around 20% his whole minor league career. 

Just saying it's worth monitoring. I'm not saying he's a 40+ K rate guy lol. 

9 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

Criticizing for him for using a 12 game sample size while you pick and choose a 6 game sample size is a bold move. 

It’s not just the K% that is worth monitoring, he is also walking significantly less so far this season. Hiura is a great hitter sure I’m sure it will balance out but calling out a poser for bringing up possible concerns is silly.

I thought I might see a little chatter on this thread with Moustakas being pulled tonight with hand discomfort. Well if he did land on the IL I would think that Hiura might get a call up. I know Hernan Perez plays everywhere but it would seem like this would bring obvious consideration for his shot. I figure Travis Shaw would take over 3B. You never know with hamate bones.

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

Did Moose break the bone?

Nope.  According to Rotoworld, it's just a bruised/swollen ring finger.  No Hiura yet...

The likely first INF to be called up would be either Dubon or Jake Hager...since it would be more of a depth thing, as Perez would become main starter.

When they decide Hiura is ready, he will be installed as the everyday 2B-

At this point, I think the better chance for Hiura to get the call is if Aguilar and Thames continue to not hit. They’d be forced to move Shaw to first, Moose to third and call Hiura up to play 2nd every day. 

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Nope.  According to Rotoworld, it's just a bruised/swollen ring finger.  No Hiura yet...

Fractured tip of ring finger for Moose. Hes going to try and play through it but you never no.

Interested to see how Kieboom was called up despite not being on the 40 man roster as I've heard that's one of a few reasons why Hiura won't be called up for a while. Brewers could sure use his bat right now...

51 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Interested to see how Kieboom was called up despite not being on the 40 man roster as I've heard that's one of a few reasons why Hiura won't be called up for a while. Brewers could sure use his bat right now...

Carter got called up because Turner got hurt though... Little different if you are giving up on your vet hitters after just 1 bad month. 

• Like 1