Gauthmann44

Jose Siri - OF Reds

After getting some love on BA's hot sheet I decided to look into Siri. Currently on a 36 game hit streak - which breaks the 40-year-old mark of 35 games originally set in 1977 - Siri has a stat line of .297 69R 19HR 55RBI 29SB. He may still have some swing and miss to his game but I think he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on - and a guy to stash in dynasty leagues with deep minors rosters. Anyone else keeping an eye on him? Below is a tout from MLB.com:

"Siri's tools are undeniable. He's a plus runner who has already shown the ability to steal bases and cover a ton of ground in the outfield. He plays a good defensive center field and has the kind of arm -- he had 16 assists in 82 games in 2016 -- to profile well in right, where he has seen some time as well. There is tremendous raw power in his right-handed swing, and the return to the Midwest League in 2017 has gone well, with a better walk rate and fewer strikeouts. There's a long way to go, but if he keeps heading in that direction, he has the chance to be an impact player." 

Think Siri has progressed really well this season. BA just wrote an article about him and the reviews seem very positive - just waiting for people to take notice. 

• Like 1

The concern with him from what iv read is his aggressive approach.  He seems like a bit of a free swinger, and those types of players can get figured out in AA ball.

definitly interesting toolset though

It would be nice to see him promoted.  His stats are pretty impressive, but he's not a youngster, now 22, in Low A.  Time for a challenge to see what they have.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎20 at 10:57 PM, BigPapi44 said:

It would be nice to see him promoted.  His stats are pretty impressive, but he's not a youngster, now 22, in Low A.  Time for a challenge to see what they have.

Further to mine above, another HR tonight.  That's 4 out of the last 5 games for Siri.  He really looks like he is ready for the next level.  Honestly, I wish they had promoted him right after his hitting streak ended.  Time to see if the breakout is for real, imo.

55 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

How is there not more hype on this guy?

Age vs level is why. Siri was 21 last year in the Midwest league where guys like Vlad Jr., Bichette, and Tatis tore it up as teenagers. Acuña made it to AAA at 19. Siri’s stats look great on the surface, but playing against guys a couple years younger than himself while striking out 130 times in 126 games tends to coolthe hype machines. 

He could be a a late bloomer, but there’s a lot of risk he gets exposed by better pitching. 

No he wasnt, am I allowed to post espn's top 100 without the descriptions?

46 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Did he get any love on Law's list?  Seems like a guy Law would be on.

Jose Siri is a better Fantasy prospect than real life. He was old for his league last year, he still needs some improvement but he has a chance to be a contributor based on ballpark and landscape of steals.

doesnt seem at all like a guy Law would like , and you are not allowed to post a paid top 100 here per rules and moderators request.

id assume you could say where one person ranked 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Jose Siri is a better Fantasy prospect than real life. He was old for his league last year, he still needs some improvement but he has a chance to be a contributor based on ballpark and landscape of steals.

doesnt seem at all like a guy Law would like , and you are not allowed to post a paid top 100 here per rules and moderators request.

id assume you could say where one person ranked 

Brock - looking forward to guys that are on your radar for the upcoming year.

Just on Siri, I had read in a chat for mid-September that Law thought he was a legit prospect (below), just maybe read too much into it.

Mr. Red: Is Jose Siri a legit prospect or just a guy who had a really nice hot streak? Follow-up: can you answer without making an iphone Siri joke? I’ll hang up and listen.
Keith Law: Legit prospect. But I hear he doesn’t recognize faces.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Brock - looking forward to guys that are on your radar for the upcoming year.

Just on Siri, I had read in a chat for mid-September that Law thought he was a legit prospect (below), just maybe read too much into it.

Mr. Red: Is Jose Siri a legit prospect or just a guy who had a really nice hot streak? Follow-up: can you answer without making an iphone Siri joke? I’ll hang up and listen.
Keith Law: Legit prospect. But I hear he doesn’t recognize faces.

I'm guessing the faces thing is just an iphone joke?

Legit prospect doesn't mean top 100 to Law. If he's a guy with a decent chance at the majors, that's still a legit prospect. A prospect with a good likelihood of making it to the majors but with 4 OF ceiling is still a legit prospect technically.

It's cliche to say because every year is big for prospects, but it's a big year to see if he can keep his gains at a higher level. He played half of last season as a 22 year old in high A repeating a league. I think he has a shot at being a fantasy star but I don't love the low walk  with decent strikeout makeup. I'm just not super excited yet.

Longenhagen has him over Winker, but a lot of that is feiling an arm.  Siri has a potential 60 grade hit tool per Longenhagen too, but currently at 35.  So developing that tool will make or break his career it seems.

There’s also a lot of skeptics on Winker’s power as it kind of came out of nowhere last year. 

I consider Siri an interesting name to track, but not a guy I’m chasing in my dynasty leagues, even with  nearly 250 prospects owned. 

On 1/26/2018 at 5:17 PM, dsd10988 said:

No he wasnt, am I allowed to post espn's top 100 without the descriptions?

Pinned at the top of the MILB Forum - A Reminder on Posting Paid Content. 

It’s not allowed. You can post a link and you can discuss where he has players or snippets of what he says (what Law graded a tool, for example), but if it’s behind a pay wall, you can’t copy/paste. 

https://soundcloud.com/prospectone/episode-56-eric-longenhagen-of-fangraphs

Longenhagen touched a bit on Siri in this podcast around the 52:45 mark. Some quotes:

"He is about extremes. I have had scouts put 7's on his speed and arm, plus raw power. He has an extreme uphill swing. The type of swing that produces the launch angles that are predictive of big time HR totals. It's not as beautiful as the Cody Bellinger swing, but it does produce that type of result. He has amazing hand eye coordination. Not only are we talking about the ability to lift the ball consistently, but to impact it consistently all over the strike zone."

"Now, there are problems. He is very aggressive at the plate. There are some makeup stuff there. And I think there is some doubt about if he is too aggressive, if there are going to be swing and miss issues at the higher levels."

"For me, he's a slightly more talented all around Nick Williams. Better defensive profile. All the tools are a half grade to a grade better than Williams."

"I'm in on Siri. I'll be advocating for him to be on the top 100 when we're lining those guys up." 

• Like 1

Like Brock said, we will need to see how he does at a higher level this year.  I think if he starts off the year in a similar manner, he will shoot up prospect lists.

Even with the attention he got for the hit streak, I think Siri may be the most improperly undervalued prospect right now. He doesn't crack a lot of top-100's, but I prefer him over other pop/speed outfield prospects like Trammell, Adell, Harrison, and even Jahmai Jones, whom I adore.

I understand the risk. But the tools are loud, and I believe he has the coordination to compensate for his wicked uppercut and aggressive style. 

Last year (and granted he was a bit old for the league) Siri put up
20-40 in 126 games. You don't just randomly go 20-40 in professional baseball, if there aren't substantial underlying tools. You've gotta be locked  in and on your game to go 15-15. But 20-40? That'll grab anyones attention.

And then you watch the film: he has that wiry, athletic frame with power that superstars are made of: that quick-twitch explosiveness that lends itself to stuffing box scores.

To be fair, I think Siri is a better fantasy prospect than real prospect. 

But I think the risk is slightly overblown, and his upside isn't being properly valued. 

In terms of tools I don't think he's far behind the 1st round top-shelf types. 

At the moment, he's a hyper-talented 22 year  old who just went 20-40, whose raw tools are elite, who would play at the bandbox known as GAB, whose main drawback is the risk connected to his aggressiveness. 

In dynasty drafts he's going at a mid round price, sometimes later. 

In a year  or two, that could be a steal.

Jose Siri is going to be a fantasy superstar. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

Big Time Timmy Jim: hey klaw, thanks for all the hard work for the prospect rollout. I’m concerned Jose Siri is just the next Aquino – loud tools but an approach that just wont cut it in upper levels. Are my concerns valid or is Siri better equipped w/ his approach because he can play CF? 
Keith Law: No, your concerns are valid. He swings and misses a ton, and he wasn’t young for low-A. He has to improve his approach AND move up two levels this year to be even a consideration for the top 100.

• Like 1

But we all do root for the day that he is on one of our teams and we can say, "Hey Siri, can you please hit me a homer?".  

3 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Could be Ramon Laureano of this year lol

Ramon Laureno seemed really boring and was mostly hyped by the bad writers at p361. 

Siri has some some very big tools and plays in cincantti. He could bust like Laureno and many other prospects, but I don’t see them as the same. Laureno still probably makes the majors as a 4th or 5th outfielder eventually.

Just thought I would update.  Good news.  He should be ready by May at the latest, so not season-ending and certainly has to be seen as good news. Credit to: http://redsminorleagues.com/2018/03/19/jose-siri-update-reds-notes-backfields-goodyear/

Jose Siri injury update

During the first game of Major League spring training Jose Siri left the game after a collision with the center field wall. It was not what anyone wanted to see. Initial reports were unclear on how much time the Reds Hitter of the Year would miss while recovering from the injury to his thumb. Bryan Price would eventually note that it wouldn’t be anytime soon, and that they wouldn’t see him again this spring. What wasn’t clear was whether that meant with the big league club or whether it was “he’s not playing at all this spring”.

Well, I was able to get the answer today. Jose Siri is going to miss the rest of the spring. He will not be ready to begin the 2018 regular season on time. The timetable is still a little uncertain, but a source said that it’s a possibility that he could miss all of April before beginning his season.

• Thanks 1