lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

You didn't answer my question.  

Any FA pickup has a keep-away component to it.

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Any FA pickup has a keep-away component to it.

So blocking an opponent's move, within the rules, is not necessarily spite.  It could just be the smart play...

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So blocking an opponent's move, within the rules, is not necessarily spite.  It could just be the smart play...

Can one veto money spent by another in FAAB?

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Can one veto money spent by another in FAAB?

In this case, the block would be outspending the opponent on a player you are going to acquire but not use...

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

In this case, the block would be outspending the opponent on a player you are going to acquire but not use...

But can one veto what another spent?

34 minutes ago, psygolf said:

But can one veto what another spent?

Congratulations on winning your bet with Joshua.

15 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Congratulations on winning your bet with Joshua.

Hey a voice of reason...Pete, you've been playing a long time...why was a veto setting added to FF leagues, what was the catalyst & purpose?

14 hours ago, psygolf said:

Hey a voice of reason...Pete, you've been playing a long time...why was a veto setting added to FF leagues, what was the catalyst & purpose?

If I had to guess it would be to eliminate horrifically one sided trades. In the early days of fantasy football before all the online leagues people played with people they knew in pen and paper leagues and it was very common for friends to make a deal that massively helped one or the other and there was no way to combat it. I hate the veto rule because there are two many (female genitalia) that veto everything and try to claim it’s a strategy. The key is to have good owners who know what the hell theyre doing so you don’t need vetoes.

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

The key is to have good owners who know what the hell theyre doing so you don’t need vetoes.

Or a good commish and an LM only veto

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Or a good commish and an LM only veto

So the path to a great league is finding the one owner that has better judgement & moral fiber than the base of the league and handing him the keys to the house.

Got it.

5 hours ago, psygolf said:

So the path to a great league is finding the one owner that has better judgement & moral fiber than the base of the league and handing him the keys to the house.

Got it.

I sense sarcasm.  And yet, your path to a great league is to have rival team veto, but kick out people who use the rule for competitive reasons.  Your path is...a winding path.

If you feel the need for any veto system, you just need to play with less scummy people.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a veto in any of my leagues in all the years I have played.  Were there trades that didn't work out great for a team, sure.  But no collusion and therefore no veto.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I sense sarcasm.  And yet, your path to a great league is to have rival team veto, but kick out people who use the rule for competitive reasons.  Your path is...a winding path.

Winding path?  lol  No...it's a straight path that is in plain sight.  I happily choose not to swim with "sharks."

Anyone got any exciting or unique rules to your specific league that you think is great that other leagues likely don't have?

I am always looking for suggestions to improving:

1)  The Actual Draft Night

2)  The In Season competitiveness

3)  The In Season Day to Day

4)  The scoring system

5)  Interesting Keeper Rules

6)  Continuing League Activity in the Off Season

7)  Anything else

On 1/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If you played in a 1 TE league and had Gronk and Ertz and at trade deadline were trying to deal Gronk for a WR1 and were already a playoff team before the trade, I'd veto you for sure.

Would I want it to be done to me?  Of course not. 

Would it be collusive?  Nope, it would probably be a completely fair deal. 

Would it cause an uproar if someone looked at this trade without looking at the rest of your roster before and after?  Probably not.

But would I want to play against you in the playoffs?  Hell no.  And if I have recourse to slow you down a bit, I probably would.

Is it scummy?  Sure, but why would you ever leave your fate in my hands to decide...

That being said, your league is clearly better people than my league if it's worked for 12 years, so keep doing you and congrats to be playing with the Sportsmen of the year lol.

Thats why VETO system doesnt work, is because teams without depth use it to limit other teams from bettering themselves, not from the intended purpose which is disallowing bad trades. 

I think collusion is often a misused word as there is rarely collusion and even if there was its difficult to prove, but what you can see is what I call indifference and those are the types of moves that can ruin a league, when one owner just doesnt care and they are out of it and make a deal with their work buddy or the owner who brought them in the league because that is the only person they respond to AND that deal is below market value OR they do nothing for 3 weeks, dont set a line up then all of a sudden with a victory will help their buddy they make moves that week and get their lineup together?  Well we know that likely didnt happen on its own, ol Buddy told him to do it.  Those kinds of things just ruin a league and in our football league, we have that talk/lecture to the owners on draft night, which is basically stay active and if you are gonna make a trade that involves a superstar in a keeper type deal, let it be known that player is available for trade, so you get the best offer possible, after all you are trying to win next year and taking a worse deal from your buddy is not going to help you do that.  

As far as the couple thing goes, I think trades make it difficult, I can pretty much guarantee trades among couples could often be seen as below market, which honestly most trades people have issues with, I think a couple making a trade would just automatically bring scrutiny, I think "helping" - Im just about consistency, like do you shut your mouth when it would hurt you but get really active with your help when it would benefit you?  I would just say to them, for optics and your own peace of mind, if you want help - hit the internet, listen to fantasy sports radio on XM, or go on the Assistant coach thread of this board.  

As for the poker thing, so you have a signal that you have the nuts and stay away, but what if you bet and dont give signal?  I know your bluffing and let me come over the top with a raise or you are on a draw so let me raise my top pair knowing at that point I have the best hand?  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Anyone got any exciting or unique rules to your specific league that you think is great that other leagues likely don't have?

4)  The scoring system

7)  Anything else

My main league is both auction, keeper and 2QB, which is a rarity from what I've heard. As far as the 2QB aspect goes, my thought is that with standard 1QB leagues, QB's are an afterthought in drafting. QB is the most important single position on the football and there should be a greater focus on it in fantasy...with 2 starting QB's each week, it does have a greater focus (yet not at the expense of all other positions either). 

For keepers, we increase the price by $3 each year you keep the player. 

For scoring system, we are .25 PPR for WR's and RB's, but .50 PPR for TE's. Our thought in setting that up (back in 2006) was that it gives TE's some more value and like QB's above, makes them more than afterthought, and it has worked very well. We don't use 1 point PPR as we feel that overvalues receptions too much. 

And we also have higher scoring for defenses than other leagues might. A great defense should get a great score, along the lines of what a top QB or RB/WR would get on a great day. To give you an example, I had the Ravens defense this season. In Week 8, they got me 45 FP's against Miami. They had a shutout, 2 defensive TD's, 2 INT's, 3 sacks, and allowed less than 200 yards of offense. A fantastic effort that puts them akin to a huge effort from an offensive player. On the flip side, there was a game this season where the Ravens got absolutely clobbered by the Jags, and they got me -8 FP's. Kind of like a 4 INT day by a QB. Overall, I think defenses are not really in balance to other positions in many fantasy leagues, and our format (we think) remedies that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

4)  The scoring system

7)  Anything else

Ah, back to actual Commish comments.  Nice!

I've found that as the years move on, my draft night is no longer as fun.  In the past, we had the actual stickers and boards, we'd all get together for beers and pizza/tacos/wings and have a great time hanging out.  Now everybody has other responsibilities and at my last draft, only two people came to my house and everybody else was online.  You can't prevent that, especially for people who are out of town and live in another city.  Maybe if I hired strippers that would get more interest to actually show up!

It seems like a lot of leagues use the "IR spot".  In keeper leagues, I certainly understand the benefits of it, as you could stash a Deshaun Watson and have him on your roster all year and then keep him on your team next year.  Our league doesn't have IR, so his owner needed to essentially burn a bench spot to hang on to him.  I like not having an IR spot.  I think it makes owners make tough decisions.  Is holding on to Julian Edelman all year worth it?  Likely not.  Dalvin Cook?  Debatable, I'd lean yes.  Carson Wentz?  The injury happened late so it wasn't as hard to hold a spot for him.  I'm curious to know how people decided to use this IR spot and which they like better if they play in different leagues.

My league only allows you to keep a player one year.  Some keeper leagues with limited keepers are almost pseudo dynasty.  A common rule I see is that you get to keep the player at the cost of one earlier round then drafted.  So if you got Alvin Kamara in the 10th round, then for 2018, you can keep him for a 9th?  And then 2017 you can keep for an 8th and so on?  That seems ludicrous.  For that reason I'd impose some rule that says you can only keep a player for a maximum one or two years.

How many leagues play with scoring bonus rules?  Things such as 100 yard rushing games, 300 yard passing games, 50+ yard TDs?  Does it add to your enjoyment or is it simply more frustrating?  Seems like there is no way to predict who will have these games.  Generally if the player hits these benchmarks, they're already put up a good weekly score.  So now you're going to add insult and injury and let that player have an even better score each week?  That seems crippling to the opponent.  Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not these bonuses decide weekly matchups and put the nail in the coffin?

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

My league only allows you to keep a player one year.  Some keeper leagues with limited keepers are almost pseudo dynasty.  A common rule I see is that you get to keep the player at the cost of one earlier round then drafted.  So if you got Alvin Kamara in the 10th round, then for 2018, you can keep him for a 9th?  And then 2017 you can keep for an 8th and so on?  That seems ludicrous.  For that reason I'd impose some rule that says you can only keep a player for a maximum one or two years.

How many leagues play with scoring bonus rules?  Things such as 100 yard rushing games, 300 yard passing games, 50+ yard TDs?  Does it add to your enjoyment or is it simply more frustrating?  Seems like there is no way to predict who will have these games.  Generally if the player hits these benchmarks, they're already put up a good weekly score.  So now you're going to add insult and injury and let that player have an even better score each week?  That seems crippling to the opponent.  Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not these bonuses decide weekly matchups and put the nail in the coffin?

For my league, we allow player to be kept in round drafted for 1 year. Anytime after that, they must use a 1st round pick to keep a player. It is a pretty large deterrent for people to keep on having the same player year after year. 

As far as the bonuses this is another thing that we do. We do both yardage bonuses and the long TD. We felt is was good to "reward" a player for having someone hit those benchmarks. As far as the long TD bonus, we went with the mindset that in an actual game, those long TDs can help turn momentum in that game. We wanted to do something similar where we felt a long bonus was appropriate. It has certainly helped turn the tide of a game, especially if someone owned a QB/WR combo on one of those long TD plays.

I specifically remember a few years ago I was playing against my longest friend. We always talk a bunch of trash and watch the games together. I had the Andy Dalton/A.J. Green combo and they connected on a huge TD play. That play pushed me over the top to beat him. That play alone made the week more memorable and honestly one of the single most memorable matchups of my fantasy career.

[ Massive poker cheating derail removed.  The morals of cheating in poker have little to nothing to do with running a fantasy league.  If you want to make an analogy to prove your point, that's fine.  If it sucks up all the oxygen in the thread, you need to find a better way to make your point that stays on topic. ]

58 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah, back to actual Commish comments.  Nice!

I'm curious to know how people decided to use this IR spot and which they like better if they play in different leagues.

1)  We do have an IR spot in my keeper league and we use it however Yahoo allows us to use it.  Originally you could only put a player there that was ACTUALLY on IR.  Then over the last couple years it seemed to just allow you to put anyone marked with an "O" (For Out) designation and you could basically gain an extra bench spot to help float you through BYEs, etc.

2)  My league has scoring bonuses.  RB / WR / TE - 100 / 150 / 200 yards = 2 / 3 / 4 points; QB - 300 / 375 / 450 = same.  Don't do long TD Bonuses though.  Definitely adds to enjoyment.  Actively rooting in garbage time of every game for 1 more reception for 8 yards to hit the bonus, 1 dump off pass to get 6 yards, etc.  Yes, it's fantasy football.  Insult to injury is the name of the game.  As a Todd Gurley owner in this year's playoffs I dominated both of my opponents.  I did receive bonuses, but the weren't even necessary after he destroyed last 2 weeks of fantasy playoffs.

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

4)  The scoring system

7)  Anything else

Our keeper rules are pretty simple, can do up to 2 years as a keeper, and its 1.5 times the auction value increase each year so like 10-15-23 -- $200 cap

Some other things we do...

* College - Rookie draft - 1 round before the auction guys come in at various salaries based on position but do not count against that years auction cap, so these are valuable. 

* Rookie draft order determined by bottom 6 tournament order of finish, winning team 1st pick, so on and so forth, the 6 playoff teams, two "bowl" teams are last 2 picks, other 4 are reverse order total point. 

* Decimal scoring  and no "bonus" for yard milestones like 100 points or whatever

Discussions were having about ways to improve things other leagues do or things we think need:

Touchdowns too valuable - maybe lowering to 3 or 4 points with some yardage bonus - like a 50 yard + TD is 6 points, but a 5 yard or less is 3 or 4.  

Rosters too big, noticed in other league Im in that smaller roster makes for less guys taken in auction = better keeper potential 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

1)  We do have an IR spot in my keeper league and we use it however Yahoo allows us to use it.  Originally you could only put a player there that was ACTUALLY on IR.  Then over the last couple years it seemed to just allow you to put anyone marked with an "O" (For Out) designation and you could basically gain an extra bench spot to help float you through BYEs, etc.

2)  My league has scoring bonuses.  RB / WR / TE - 100 / 150 / 200 yards = 2 / 3 / 4 points; QB - 300 / 375 / 450 = same.  Don't do long TD Bonuses though.  Definitely adds to enjoyment.  Actively rooting in garbage time of every game for 1 more reception for 8 yards to hit the bonus, 1 dump off pass to get 6 yards, etc.  Yes, it's fantasy football.  Insult to injury is the name of the game.  As a Todd Gurley owner in this year's playoffs I dominated both of my opponents.  I did receive bonuses, but the weren't even necessary after he destroyed last 2 weeks of fantasy playoffs.

Not a big fan of yardage bonus, you kind of already have it if you are not using decimal scoring and only giving 1 per 10 instead of .1 per 1.   So leagues that dont use decimal and give a bonus you find those games in the high 90's very frustrating, I mean Julio Jones had 98 yards in my playoff loss week 14, 2 more yards and he gets 1 for getting to another 10 yard and then 2 more for the 100.  Is that 2 yards really the equivalent of 30 yards receiving?   So using that logic we didnt do bonuses but if someone was strongly in favor its not something I would be completely against, just prefer not to have them.  

I actually thought the best yardage based setting we used was for Field goals and decimal scoring, so a 28 yarder was 2.8 a 53 yarder was 5.3, but we got rid of kickers a few years back.

2 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Not a big fan of yardage bonus, you kind of already have it if you are not using decimal scoring and only giving 1 per 10 instead of .1 per 1.   So leagues that dont use decimal and give a bonus you find those games in the high 90's very frustrating, I mean Julio Jones had 98 yards in my playoff loss week 14, 2 more yards and he gets 1 for getting to another 10 yard and then 2 more for the 100.  Is that 2 yards really the equivalent of 30 yards receiving?   So using that logic we didnt do bonuses but if someone was strongly in favor its not something I would be completely against, just prefer not to have them.  

I actually thought the best yardage based setting we used was for Field goals and decimal scoring, so a 28 yarder was 2.8 a 53 yarder was 5.3, but we got rid of kickers a few years back.

Ah, that would be the argument FOR going to decimal scoring, which is a lot easier to get people to agree to than these yardage bonuses.  We played without decimals our first year, but that's because we didn't know what the heck we were doing.  Playing with decimals also allows for much closer matchups and practically never a tie.  We had somebody lose by 0.01 this year.  0.01!  That's 3.6 inches, assume 1 yard equals 0.1 points.

19 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah, that would be the argument FOR going to decimal scoring, which is a lot easier to get people to agree to than these yardage bonuses.  We played without decimals our first year, but that's because we didn't know what the heck we were doing.  Playing with decimals also allows for much closer matchups and practically never a tie.  We had somebody lose by 0.01 this year.  0.01!  That's 3.6 inches, assume 1 yard equals 0.1 points.

8 years and we have not had a tie, we have had some .1 games and there have been at least 2 playoff games that were decided by less than 1 point through the years.  One year my friend and I were playing and were on the verge of a tie, we were tied with 30 seconds to go, a bunch of people are texting, we are gonna have a tie...and then his QB Matt Ryan lost 2 yards "rushing" when he knelt on the ball and I beat him by .2