lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

On 8/28/2017 at 9:32 PM, The Gridiron Assassin said:

To all my fellow commissioners out there... 

What's your favorite feature of your league and why? 

Thanks in advance. 

If you wanna see my rule book DM me. 

I've read some of your posts and think we have comparable leagues. 

We've had like 7 more offseason trades than you though, hah. 

Does anybody ever do a slow draft via email?  I know MFL leagues do.  But I am in one league where the actual draft is Friday, but the commish likes to just start asking people for their picks ahead of time.  There's no time line in terms of when you need to respond.  Some people respond immediately, some people take a day, and right now it's hung up on #12 guy for three days.  I think he's trying to wait out the Zeke situation and see if he wants to draft him in the late first.  Now the guy who just drafted Jay Ajayi at #11 wants to change his mind.  He contends that if the next pick hasn't been made, that he should be entitled to switch.  But the commish isn't budging.

Any thoughts on this?  Obviously for next year there needs to be more rules if the draft is actually going to "start" several days before the actual draft.  I can understand the guy at #12 stalling until Friday, because what advantage does it give him to pick now?  I think there has to be a several hour window, clear rules about whether or not you can change a pick if the next one isn't finalized (our rule before online drafting was if the sticker got stuck on the board, then your pick can't be changed), etc.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:29 AM, pdog109 said:

I just vetoed a trade that caused the two league managers involved to rage quit the league.

Team A tried trading away Julius Thomas and Eli Manning to Team B for Leveon Bell and Stefon Diggs.

I said this trade is lopsided and they both got emotionally unstable and called me bad words and told me cram the league.

They called me biased and Goodell too lol.

I changed the settings to league vote for trades, don't know if these crybabies drama queens will come back to the league though.

Was i wrong?

How do they not see this has a massively lopsided dumb trade?

20 hours ago, pdog109 said:

Free work league. The team giving away Bell and Diggs said he needed a back up TE and a QB. Yeah right, like theres ones not available on the wire.

When i was on vacation from work a co-worker not in the league told me they were plotting against me.

I guess this was part of the plan but its really a dumb trade to do and for them to act like this proves to me that they are just horrible people and i won't associate with them anymore.

If I was playing with owners like those two in a free work league I would pass all trades and not get caught up with any drama....

plotting against me   lol

26 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

If I was playing with owners like those two in a free work league I would pass all trades and not get caught up with any drama....

Wouldn't want you as a commissioner. A commissioner generally has very few duties, and preventing overt acts of cheating is one of the most basic. 

Whether the league is high stakes or free should be a moot point. An owner trading a Top 2 fantasy player and a solid WR2 for a replacement level QB and TE does not happen absent the traders acting in bad faith. It also screws over the other owners in your league by creating a stacked, super team. 

• Like 3

This question is for all my live draft auction commissioners if there are any of you out there... 

I'm in a 12 x 17 live auction draft. 

I'm a commissioner of another 14 x 17 live snake keeper draft. In that one everyone always stays to the end and has a great time and hangs all night talking trash, etc.

With my auction, it generally goes almost 4.5 hours and basically when everyone is done they just burn out and by the end there's only a few of us and it's just not nearly as fun IMO. 

Is there any recommendations you can give to:

1.  Speed up the auction process 

2.  Convince people to stay until the end of the draft 

Thanks for your time and help 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

11 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This question is for all my live draft auction commissioners if there are any of you out there... 

I'm in a 12 x 17 live auction draft. 

I'm a commissioner of another 14 x 17 live snake keeper draft. In that one everyone always stays to the end and has a great time and hangs all night talking trash, etc.

With my auction, it generally goes almost 4.5 hours and basically when everyone is done they just burn out and by the end there's only a few of us and it's just not nearly as fun IMO. 

Are these essentially the same people in both leagues, or are they two completely different groups of people?  Are the snake draft people closer friends with everyone?

Your draft is "live", but is it pencil and paper live, or is it done on an online platform like Yahoo and ESPN?  As you probably know, an auction draft can take much longer than a snake.  I can't even begin to think how people do an auction draft without an online platform.  I suppose somebody has to keep track of time, somebody has to keep track of money left, etc.  Just seems like a huge process.  Online it's all automatic and sped up so things keep moving.

I personally do not have 4.5 hours to spend doing a draft.  People are busy.  People have other non fantasy football responsibilities, usually involving family or work.  There's really no way to keep people from leaving early, unless you're going to give out last year's winnings at the end of the draft and you have to be present to collect your share.  Either that or bring in some strippers at the end of the draft.  Nobody is going to leave early if that's the case.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CooL said:

There's really no way to keep people from leaving early, unless you're going to give out last year's winnings at the end of the draft and you have to be present to collect your share.  Either that or bring in some strippers at the end of the draft.  Nobody is going to leave early if that's the case.

2 different groups of people with a few cross over people. 

We do both drafts at night and the keeper snake has people stay all night.  The keeper is pretty long too. Maybe about 1 hour shorter.  

We all work and 85% of us are married. 60% of us have kids. 

We've been together for years. 

The draft has software that I plug into the TV that tracks everything on a display for everyone to see. We have an extra friend come that is an auctioneer. 

3 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

2 different groups of people with a few cross over people. 

We do both drafts at night and the keeper snake has people stay all night.  The keeper is pretty long too. Maybe about 1 hour shorter.  

We all work and 85% of us are married. 60% of us have kids. 

We've been together for years. 

The draft has software that I plug into the TV that tracks everything on a display for everyone to see. We have an extra friend come that is an auctioneer. 

There are different levels of passion and involvement. You can't expect everyone to share the same amount of enthusiasm, especially when it takes 4.5 hours. Even in our online auction, once a guy finishes spending all his money, he logs off and is gone. Life priorities change. Just be glad that after all these years, people still want to be in the league.

Anyone else have some suggestions other than "Football isn't that important"?

I'm looking for feedback for solutions not excuses if anyone else has anything they can add to my commissioner question.

I'll restate my question in a different way.

With my live auction league, when everyone finishes they basically just burn out and leave and by the end there's only a few of us that remain.

4 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm looking for feedback for solutions not excuses if anyone else has anything they can add to my commissioner question.

With my live auction league, when everyone finishes they basically just burn out and leave and by the end there's only a few of us that remain.

I'm not really sure what you expect.  I said to speed up the auction process you should move to an online draft.  You can still meet live in person for the camaraderie, but everybody has their laptops and are drafting in that fashion.  Have you ever done an auction draft online?  Once somebody is nominated and there is a bid, then the computer gives something like 7 or 8 seconds for somebody to make a higher bid, starts counting down, resets with each bid, and then when there is no additional bid, the guy is sold and the next person has a short period of time to make the next nomination.  No hemming and hawing, no "going once going twice sold", no long delay for the next guy to look at his five cheatsheets to decide who he wants to nominate next, etc.  It really does make an auction draft more tolerable and efficient.

I don't know what answer you're expecting to hear.  I mentioned withholding last year's payout until the end and winners need be present to collect.  I mentioned strippers, more as a joke obviously.  Or how about host a big dinner party and invite all the wives and kids?  So start the draft I suppose at 2 pm if your draft takes 4.5 hours, and then have the families join later.  Why do you feel the need to hold everybody hostage for 4.5 hours?  Even if everybody is married, has kids, has a job, etc., people have lives outside of fantasy football.  If you're done spending money in the first two hours, why are you going to sit around for 2.5 hours?  Just to make snide comments about peoples' picks?  I don't get it. 

• Like 1

@Dreams And Dwightmares We had that problem a couple years ago. We would draft at night as well. Yes it got long and people did fizzle out. I moved the draft up in time. Started at like 3ish instead of 7sih. Had a potluck and has worked better, as people can eat and drink and get done at a reasonable time. We also shoot for a Saturday draft if possible as well. We then go through everyones draft and debate the best pick they made and the worst and what not.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

drope the auction and make it a snake or cut the amount of rounds ... then after two days have a free-for-all free agent party

11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm in a 12 x 17

11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm a commissioner of another 14 x 17 live snake keeper draft.

one quick question .... Are these both drafts 17 rounds?

6 hours ago, sneer said:

@Dreams And Dwightmares We had that problem a couple years ago. We would draft at night as well. Yes it got long and people did fizzle out. I moved the draft up in time. Started at like 3ish instead of 7sih. Had a potluck and has worked better, as people can eat and drink and get done at a reasonable time. We also shoot for a Saturday draft if possible as well. We then go through everyones draft and debate the best pick they made and the worst and what not.

Thanks man. Appreciate the information. That's a good suggestion I believe and I will try to implement this next year. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

drope the auction and make it a snake or cut the amount of rounds ... then after two days have a free-for-all free agent party

one quick question .... Are these both drafts 17 rounds?

Yes, both are 17 rounds.

That's an absolutely crazy and insane suggestion and I think I love it if I'm understanding correctly. 

So you're saying that maybe instead of auctioning for 17 rounds, I auction for 15 rounds (or fewer) and then like 2 days later I set a time (like 700 PM) and I click the "start season" button and let everyone just have a free for all at the free agents?

• Like 1

Not sure if this should be vent and rant or commissioners corner.  But I will tell the story, then ask how other commissioners would handle it.

Long story but I will break it up in parts, the league history and its decline, then the draft drama last night

**the league history**

It is a league that is a melting pot of friends, friends thru friends (people everyone knows well but only time during the year you see them is at the draft)some coworkers and some family.  I don't commish it, my brother does.

**the decline**

this league is in person, for the last ten years.  Last couple years the participation is declining and we're always making extra efforts to fill this 12 man team.  This year it felt like I was doing the work finding people, not much initiative from my bro at all.  We had 10 locked up, I found a coworker.  Also, I have no problem finding people but I make an effort not to pick people from my league and have some football knowledge there are already some from my league in his league but I try to stay away from recycling participants, because why do two leagues then?

so this league lacks creativity and my bro has no desire to make things interesting, we draw picks out of a hat right before draft time, and the payouts are conservative, always giving a generous amount to 2nd and paying 3rd place.  The only change made was upping the buy in last year from $50 to $100.  We generally have a payout of the following shares for 1st 2nd 3rd.  60%, 30%, 10%

well last season and this in an effort to fill roster spots, my bro buys a team for his wife, (whom thru convos with her she don't run it), oh well, but I'd prefer to see an effort in actually filling it

**the draft drama**

to preface, a leaguemate yesterday was in a hurry to go somewhere right after the draft and was really pushy on people settling down and make picks.  Pick #4 was running late and was not there when leaguemate pressured the league to make picks w/out him present, at pick 4 the commish called and he phoned in obj and said he was getting closer, picks went around again, when it got back to him he was pressured to call again cuz he still wasn't there, commish got off the phone and said the dude quit on the spot since we didn't wait.

this caused a lot of confusion and people were already stressed given the atmosphere, after bantering back and forth the commish insisted we restart the draft with only 10 and repick draft position out of a hat.  A lot of us we're not having it and we plead our case not to change draft position(I had pick 3 and landed bell, and sitting with friends, I thought this would be my last draft so really talking about players as they fell off the board, essentially showing my cards), well when we restarted, my list had a ton of players already crossed off, I missed on some good picks because I didn't see them available on my sheet, taking Pryor over ajayi with the 3/2 pick not realizing he was still on the board, ok/rant

anywho, when we were discussing how to go about it, I wanted to keep it 12 teams, I suggested we continue drafting, no restart, take best player available for the rage quit team and sell it to someone ASAP that is looking for a league.  Unfortunately I was speaking to deaf ears.  I just thought starting over really killed the integrity and spirit of the draft.

so my opinion, is draft went bad in so many ways, impatient people, quitters, lack of initiative from the commish(which I believe if we up the fee to $100, this should be the most smooth league I play in).

how would you all handle the situation if you were in it?  Part of me just wanted to say eff it, I'm out now, but that's not in my blood, and definitely not in front of a group like that(friends coworkers etc)

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins

For the auction draft guy:

I second what CooL said. Find a way to make it online - even if you end up in a big room with loads of laptops.

My league has 20 teams but short rosters - 20 x 13. We come from all over the world - mainly in the UK - so the draft has to be online. This year I was done in 2.5 hrs (there was a bit of mopping up afterwards so it prob took just under 3 hours in total). Having a tight time limit for bids is crucial. You can then make it even tighter when you get to those rounds where nobody has any money but they need to draft kicker/IDP etc.

Selecting the time is def important like the guy says - avoid night-time if you can. The only other thing I can think of is getting an extremely tough, independent auctioneer that keeps it moving!

Edited by leffe186

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

how would you all handle the situation if you were in it?  Part of me just wanted to say eff it, I'm out now, but that's not in my blood, and definitely not in front of a group like that(friends coworkers etc)

It's tough man.  It sucks.  Rage quitter is a loser.  Pushy guy that has other things going on and pressures others to make his agenda the most important agenda there is a loser.  Rage quitter is the ultimate loser though.  When someone rage quits decisions have to be made to keep the show rolling.  That's the job of the commissioner.  Some probably would have been happy with going on with 12 and some would have hated it.  There was no pleasing everyone in that situation.

I'm a commish and I have a league of scumbags that are very vocal and scream about their own selfish intentions often, so I speak direct and harsh often.  It's not always what people want to hear, with that said, you may not like what I have to say, but this is just my opinion.

The easiest and simplest decision was to cut from 12 to 10 on the fly and re-do the draft.  It sucks you tipped your hand to less studied, but it's the best move.  When you have a phantom 12th team with no GM running it with hopes to sell you take the risk of the team not being sold and have a serious league Duck Up on your hands.  When you scratched off on your list and didn't realize Ajayi was still available and you took Pryor that was your mistake, not the commissioners.  You should have used a different colored pen or something on the 2nd go around.  

Everyone has a story, everyone has excuses, and everyone can justify their own selfish motives and convince themselves they are just in doing so.

Bottom line, it's fair to be upset about how things went down.  I don't disagree with the decisions though.  Take a look at the league, and if you think this league is a sinking ship then finish out the season and quit afterwards, giving your commish enough time to replace you and keep the league going on without you if he sees fit.

3 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Holy crap that was long I was just typing away

The first problem is that there are two teams that essentially belong to your brother.  Doesn't anybody in the league have a problem with that?  I would hope then that there are trade vetoes and there are no obvious shenanigans going on between his two teams.

So as I understand it, the guy rage quits, then your brother says let's do the draft over with 10 teams.  I'm assuming then that he gives up his wife's team?  Otherwise how do you get down to 10?

We've had guys show up late before for one reason or another, but the commish was nice enough to call him on the phone and then wait for the pick.  I'm imagining that he was in his car and just can't easily stop and look at his cheatsheets or. computer to see who he wants to pick next, so he said screw it and quit.   Was it the vote of the group to start without this guy present?  Was there a time limit imposed, did he have to decide on the spot on the phone?  If that's the case, then I can see why he would be pissed.  Yes, it's his fault for being late.  But if this is a league of friends, there should be some understanding of the situation - maybe he got off work late, had family issues, etc.  It would have been nice if the rest of the league overruled pushy guy and said let's just wait.

Another solution would have been to kept the same draft order just eliminating the quitter and I'm guessing your brother's wife's team.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

It's tough man.  It sucks.  Rage quitter is a loser.  Pushy guy that has other things going on and pressures others to make his agenda the most important agenda there is a loser.  Rage quitter is the ultimate loser though.  When someone rage quits decisions have to be made to keep the show rolling.  That's the job of the commissioner.  Some probably would have been happy with going on with 12 and some would have hated it.  There was no pleasing everyone in that situation.

I'm a commish and I have a league of scumbags that are very vocal and scream about their own selfish intentions often, so I speak direct and harsh often.  It's not always what people want to hear, with that said, you may not like what I have to say, but this is just my opinion.

The easiest and simplest decision was to cut from 12 to 10 on the fly and re-do the draft.  It sucks you tipped your hand to less studied, but it's the best move.  When you have a phantom 12th team with no GM running it with hopes to sell you take the risk of the team not being sold and have a serious league Duck Up on your hands.  When you scratched off on your list and didn't realize Ajayi was still available and you took Pryor that was your mistake, not the commissioners.  You should have used a different colored pen or something on the 2nd go around.  

Everyone has a story, everyone has excuses, and everyone can justify their own selfish motives and convince themselves they are just in doing so.

Bottom line, it's fair to be upset about how things went down.  I don't disagree with the decisions though.  Take a look at the league, and if you think this league is a sinking ship then finish out the season and quit afterwards, giving your commish enough time to replace you and keep the league going on without you if he sees fit.

Yup can't please everyone for sure, I can tell you I will not pay $100 to be in this league again and would like to see the commish get more reliable and experienced players.  For me $100 is a lot, outside from finishing in the money(which is a statistically low outcome we won't know until December), I feel like I over paid for this league.

the ajayi pick is my bad for sure, just a s---y situation, in the future i will just have a bud light at the drafts and be ready for whatever

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CooL said:

The first problem is that there are two teams that essentially belong to your brother.  Doesn't anybody in the league have a problem with that?  I would hope then that there are trade vetoes and there are no obvious shenanigans going on between his two teams.

So as I understand it, the guy rage quits, then your brother says let's do the draft over with 10 teams.  I'm assuming then that he gives up his wife's team?  Otherwise how do you get down to 10?

We've had guys show up late before for one reason or another, but the commish was nice enough to call him on the phone and then wait for the pick.  I'm imagining that he was in his car and just can't easily stop and look at his cheatsheets or. computer to see who he wants to pick next, so he said screw it and quit.   Was it the vote of the group to start without this guy present?  Was there a time limit imposed, did he have to decide on the spot on the phone?  If that's the case, then I can see why he would be pissed.  Yes, it's his fault for being late.  But if this is a league of friends, there should be some understanding of the situation - maybe he got off work late, had family issues, etc.  It would have been nice if the rest of the league overruled pushy guy and said let's just wait.

Another solution would have been to kept the same draft order just eliminating the quitter and I'm guessing your brother's wife's team.  

Outside of him not finding that extra person and getting a team for his wife, the league runs fine, never collusion, maybe only one or two trades a year, the draft and recruiting seems to be the problem.

On the note of selling a team, if we were presented with that, I'd have confidence I'd find someone to buy it, the motive would be there to move it.  I run a 14 team league that I have to turn people down from getting in each year.  But I feel like I am more proactive as a commish, once the mayweather news broke mid June I started mass texts, lined up to have the draft prior then order the fight had the room reserved, texted all my players that have weekend work schedules to ensure they ro'd the day off, my bro always thinks I'm overkillwith how I run my league but people don't want to leave it.

this past draft everyone was able to make it except my bro, I worked out all he kinks and figured out Skype. He was one vacation, I talked directly to his wife and let her know we are drafting and when is the best time he can set a 3 hour block to skype in(smarter to ask her cuz she has the itinerary and not stepping on their vaca plans) , let him borrow a tablet, worked great the draft all taken care of and agreed upon mid june

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Yup can't please everyone for sure, I can tell you I will not pay $100 to be in this league again and would like to see the commish get more reliable and experienced players.  For me $100 is a lot, outside from finishing in the money(which is a statistically low outcome we won't know until December), I feel like I over paid for this league.

the ajayi pick is my bad for sure, just a s---y situation, in the future i will just have a bud light at the drafts and be ready for whatever

Good attitude.  I respect your opinion and decision.  

You never know though, I've said I was quitting a league before then won it that year and came back again even though I hated it.  Maybe this will be the one you hate that you can't break up with.

On 8/31/2017 at 5:06 AM, Rainyy said:

Wouldn't want you as a commissioner. A commissioner generally has very few duties, and preventing overt acts of cheating is one of the most basic. 

Whether the league is high stakes or free should be a moot point. An owner trading a Top 2 fantasy player and a solid WR2 for a replacement level QB and TE does not happen absent the traders acting in bad faith. It also screws over the other owners in your league by creating a stacked, super team. 

I tried explaining that, i was told that teams should be allowed to trade whoever they want with no outside interference

So before this guy plays my buddy in the league i'm going to trade my Drew Brees away for his kicker

Also yeah i quit as commish, turned it over to someone else lol.

7 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

I tried explaining that, i was told that teams should be allowed to trade whoever they want with no outside interference

So before this guy plays my buddy in the league i'm going to trade my Drew Brees away for his kicker

Also yeah i quit as commish, turned it over to someone else lol.

I understand the motive, and turnabout is fair play.  But once crap like this starts happening in a league - one week player swapping, lopsided trades, obvious collusion if the intent is to get Brees back in one week - you might as well just stick a fork in your league and start over with some new friends.  It's just fantasy football, and it's just a game.  But there needs to be some integrity in the league whether you are playing for $5 or $1000.  I'd leave this league if I saw stuff like this happening.