lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

On 12/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, North40 said:

Hey guys, need a ruling on a collusion call.

Standard, ppr, 12 team. Been around for 5-6 years a pretty involved league of all friends. We are on Yahoo chat. That chat obviously at times is hilarious, crude, etc.

Myself as commissioner made a joke on the chat to the guy who had Carson Wentz.

I said...hey everyone still left in the playoffs. You should totally go and pick up any decent QB to block X from getting one, lol...

And then some other guys chimed in and laughed. Said to pick up Vince Young or some other funny QB options.

Well, the guy is all pissy and said I created collusion on him. Calling me out and saying I'm being a bad commissioner for doing that.

What do you guys think? Everyone else already had 2 QBs and didn't affect actual WW action. It was a joke and the remaining guys in the playoffs were worried more about their own teams.

It's not the Commissioner's responsibility to give his League a wake-up call to block a team in need when they are trying to deal with last week's injury hits.  What I'm guessing....1) If he was not in contention, and/or 2) if you were ahead of him on the waiver wire (and had room), you never would've made the shout-out to your league mates. 

It's not collusion, but it's poor form...keep you LM messages to deadline dates.

Edited by psygolf

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

It's not the Commissioner's responsibility to give his League a wake-up call to block a team in need when they are trying to deal with last week's injury hits.  What I'm guessing....1) If he was not in contention, and/or 2) if you were ahead of him on the waiver wire (and had room), you never would've made the shout-out to your league mates. 

It's not collusion, but it's poor form...keep you LM messages to deadline dates.

I think this is just exactly right.  The Commish has to be above the fray to a fault.  Keep it professional, guard your words at all time, think carefully how everything you do and say could be interpreted.  Don't like that and just want to be one of the boys and have fun?  I get that.  Then don't be commish.

7 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Week 17 championship matchup (I know) for me next week and the owner I’m facing wants to chop the 1st and 2nd place winnings. I don’t really want to because we’ve came this far, it’s a pretty even matchup (it appears both our lineups will be a full go next week), and I don’t really care if I miss out on the difference between second place prize money and the chopped pot prize money. I’d rather just gamble and go for the full first place. Anyone ever encountered this situation and what would you do if you were in this spot?

There is an in-between with going for it all and having a full on chop.

I propose it every single season regardless of whatever the projections say.

If my pot was $900 for first; $425 for second AKA $1325 total I'd propose something along the lines of each split $600 and play for $125.

You still gamble while hedging your bets a bit and guaranteeing more money.

7 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Week 17 championship matchup (I know) for me next week and the owner I’m facing wants to chop the 1st and 2nd place winnings. I don’t really want to because we’ve came this far, it’s a pretty even matchup (it appears both our lineups will be a full go next week), and I don’t really care if I miss out on the difference between second place prize money and the chopped pot prize money. I’d rather just gamble and go for the full first place. Anyone ever encountered this situation and what would you do if you were in this spot?

Tell him to screw. Not your duty to split the pot.

2 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Is there a 2018 FF Rankings out anywhere on the internet?

PM Axe Elf and get his.

7 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Is there a 2018 FF Rankings out anywhere on the internet?

you can still do mock drafts on Fantasypros...they update their rankings all season long.

Question you for LMs out there - specifically for those in a league with close friends....

Do you get your champions anything? I would like to start - something that displays "Fantasy Football Champion", along with the year. Whether it's a pint glass, whiskey glass,  etc. And not a trophy.. because we have one of those.

Interested to see if anyone has anything unique.

3 hours ago, bgar15 said:

Question you for LMs out there - specifically for those in a league with close friends....

Do you get your champions anything? I would like to start - something that displays "Fantasy Football Champion", along with the year. Whether it's a pint glass, whiskey glass,  etc. And not a trophy.. because we have one of those.

I proposed this one year, and was unanimously rejected.  Since the money assumedly would come from the prize pool, everyone wanted to spend the money however they saw fit.  If it's your own cash, you can do whatever you want.  We just do a trophy that gets engraved each year in mine.

55 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

I proposed this one year, and was unanimously rejected.  Since the money assumedly would come from the prize pool, everyone wanted to spend the money however they saw fit.  If it's your own cash, you can do whatever you want.  We just do a trophy that gets engraved each year in mine.

Yeah this would come out of my own pocket - would never pull from the league dues

17 hours ago, parrothead said:

Total points, never head to head, too many variables...

Yeah like picking the right combo to win each week. 

On 12/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, North40 said:

Hey guys, need a ruling on a collusion call.

Standard, ppr, 12 team. Been around for 5-6 years a pretty involved league of all friends. We are on Yahoo chat. That chat obviously at times is hilarious, crude, etc.

Myself as commissioner made a joke on the chat to the guy who had Carson Wentz.

I said...hey everyone still left in the playoffs. You should totally go and pick up any decent QB to block X from getting one, lol...

And then some other guys chimed in and laughed. Said to pick up Vince Young or some other funny QB options.

Well, the guy is all pissy and said I created collusion on him. Calling me out and saying I'm being a bad commissioner for doing that.

What do you guys think? Everyone else already had 2 QBs and didn't affect actual WW action. It was a joke and the remaining guys in the playoffs were worried more about their own teams.

Not a deal breaker, learning point I guess, but yea, probably stay away from a convo like that as the commish

9 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Yeah like picking the right combo to win each week. 

Head to head is used somewhat in real football and that makes some sense, but in the fantasy its like a random schedule generator and you have bye weeks and things like that.  I just prefer total points.  We actually use total points for a lot.  The last 2 playoff spots are total points, not record.  Our college draft order based on total points and things like that.  

On 12/27/2017 at 4:37 AM, bgar15 said:

We have talked about doing something for years, but nobody has stepped up.  

On 11/14/2017 at 12:55 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Having your opponents vote on your trades is an unresolvable conflict of interest.  A proper trade makes both of the trading teams better, therefore it gives all the other teams a strong incentive to veto such a trade.  Some fair minded team managers may not take advantage of this opportunity, but they probably have never studied game theory.

Would the real NFL let the Texans, Jags and Titans vote on whether the Colts could trade picks to the Patriots for Jacoby Brisett?  Think about it.

The issue with voting is exactly this, often times teams with depth (in redraft leagues) deal for stars in 2 or 3 for 1 type trades and people see the potential lineup with that star and vote NO, its their only counter to teams depth is the veto power to not let them use the depth to better their teams through trades, which is wrong.  Im pretty much think leagues should be no VETO.  

I think in keeper leagues, maybe auction keeper, if you have a new owner maybe have VETO deals for a year or two just until they have a little more experience about what "value" is with regards to salaries, etc.  Thats not the worst idea, but even then would be like 75% for a No. 

I also think maybe a nuclear option VETO where a trade that is called out and unanimously overturned has some consequences, like the trade does not happen and those two owners at worse are banned from trading again for the remainder of the year and maybe the following year OR at the very least every trade they make with each other from that point is simple majority veto to they are done from the league depending on the severity of it.  

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, parrothead said:

Were you playing him?  Its certainly not collusion, more like kind of an etiquette or unwritten rule type of deal where I feel like saying certain things league-wide, when it impacts a particular owner, is kind of like in an auction, where you are telling people to bid people up or call out people to try and cost certain guys money, etc.  Its like if you want to bid me up great, go ahead, but dont manage other people and tell them to do it.  Kind of same thing with Waivers and pick ups.  Im sure you meant nothing by it, but it can be a sore subject for some.  

That's the point, it didn't impact him.  He said "it didn't effect WW action."

Either way, I don't know how announcing public knowledge is an etiquette violation.  From how I read it, they are all a group of buddies that are involved/active and he made a joke, publicly.  If he had texted or messaged the other owners individually to try and collude and prevent the owner from picking up a worthy back up, then you have a problem.  It doesn't sound like it effected anything in terms of him picking up a replacement so I don't get the whining after the fact.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:37 AM, bgar15 said:

We do a trophy that we found in a thrift shop, you can find something unique for pretty cheap.  One of my other buddies uses a 2 x 4 for his championship lol.

I'll try and provide a high-level summary of the issue, and I was hoping you all can provide your input on whether or not you think it's an actual issue.

I am the commissioner for a 12 team league that has just ended. One of the managers in the league has an issue with a particular team because it's a girl that gets a little help from one of the other managers in the league (her boyfriend). Here are some quick facts - 

1. I was present with her and her boyfriend when we all drafted our teams. She drafted her entire team, but did get input from her BF a few times when trying to decide between 2 players. 

2. Once the season started, she would also get input from her boyfriend on who to start, who to pick up, etc. She did not make any trades this year and her pick-ups were very minimal. He would not pick up players for her, but would typically just help her decide between 2-4 players on who to pick up if one of her players was on bye week. Keep in mind that her BF also has a team in the league, paid his entry fee like everyone else, and was also in contention most of the year. 

3. During playoffs, her BF continued to provide input on her team since he was eliminated from the playoffs.

Now with all that being said, one of the managers has an issue with her getting help throughout the season. As commissioner, I am trying to decide if I should not allow her to be in the league next year like one of the managers wants. My current stance is that she paid her league dues like everyone else and most importantly, drafted her own team (since I was physically present), it doesn't matter what happens after that as long as she didn't collude with any other teams, which she definitely did not. I should also point out that the manager that has an issue with her finished in 1st place, but was making a big fuss about the situation during the super bowl week when they played each other.

So do you all see any issue with the above facts and circumstances and think this manager has a valid gripe? If so, should I remove her from the league next year? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Post a link and I WHIR. Thanks so much.

Totally fair game IMO.

It doesn’t matter if she got advice from her boyfriend or any random Joe. Pretty much everyone who plays Fantasy sports listens to podcasts or reads articles or watches shows that give advice. Should those be banned too?

If there wasn’t clear cut collusion then she did nothing wrong.

Let’s put it this way... if all the advice her boyfriend gave her turned out to be bad and her team wasn’t in contention would the person who complained still have an issue? I highly doubt he would so that completely invalidates his argument.

I don't see an issue here but it could be a slippery slope.  I think the other owner is whining, I would not boot her from the league but I would monitor their activity as best as you can.  I think they do have an advantage, but its slight and wouldn't come into play unless they colluded so if you stay on top of them there shouldn't be an issue.

Getting advice from her boyfriend is a gray area in my opinion, not saying that it happened but most people will act in their own self interest when they have the opportunity.  The biggest potential issue I could see is them manipulating the waiver wire and potentially the draft if they were close in picking order.  I think it would be fairly obvious if they did but its something that I would get out in the air before next season.

Doesn't everyone do this? Provided we aren't playing each other, me and friends are always bouncing questions off each other. 

agree....could be a slippery slope, discuss it before the start of next season and tell the first place manager to quit being a little #%&%@.

3 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Doesn't everyone do this? Provided we aren't playing each other, me and friends are always bouncing questions off each other. 

Yes but in this scenario the couple has controlling interest of two teams not one.