lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

1 minute ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Yes but in this scenario the couple has controlling interest of two teams not one.

Based on the original post, I didn't get that idea at all.

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

Based on the original post, I didn't get that idea at all.

I didn't either but there is an opportunity for them to do so, that's the slipper slope.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:20 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

I think this is just exactly right.  The Commish has to be above the fray to a fault.  Keep it professional, guard your words at all time, think carefully how everything you do and say could be interpreted.  Don't like that and just want to be one of the boys and have fun?  I get that.  Then don't be commish.

Thumbs Down. 

Commissioner's are not required to be subjected to a non enjoyment rule. They should absolutely be allowed to mix it up with everyone else as long as they can make decisions without any bias and be completely impartial always doing what is right.  

2 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I didn't either but there is an opportunity for them to do so, that's the slipper slope.

It's not a slippery slope.

It's one member giving another advice. Pretty standard stuff. 

On 12/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, North40 said:

Hey guys, need a ruling on a collusion call.

Standard, ppr, 12 team. Been around for 5-6 years a pretty involved league of all friends. We are on Yahoo chat. That chat obviously at times is hilarious, crude, etc.

Myself as commissioner made a joke on the chat to the guy who had Carson Wentz.

I said...hey everyone still left in the playoffs. You should totally go and pick up any decent QB to block X from getting one, lol...

And then some other guys chimed in and laughed. Said to pick up Vince Young or some other funny QB options.

Well, the guy is all pissy and said I created collusion on him. Calling me out and saying I'm being a bad commissioner for doing that.

What do you guys think? Everyone else already had 2 QBs and didn't affect actual WW action. It was a joke and the remaining guys in the playoffs were worried more about their own teams.

Carson Wentz owner was just bitter cause he knew he likely lost his shot at a title and was taking out anger every direction possible. 

When people get pissy cause they know they won't overcome something they start lashing out at everyone. You were just in the cross hair. 

I'd probably refrain from joking about sabotaging players in the future though. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

It's not a slippery slope.

It's one member giving another advice. Pretty standard stuff. 

There is an opportunity here for the BF to give the GF "advice" that could help him as well, that's a slippery slope. 

I don't think I've ever asked one of my league mates directly who I should or shouldn't pick up... I would look for an unbiased opinion.  Maybe that's just me.

There is an opportunity here for the BF to give the GF "advice" that could help him as well, that's a slippery slope. 

I don't think I've ever asked one of my league mates directly who I should or shouldn't pick up... I would look for an unbiased opinion.  Maybe that's just me.

I think it is TBH. I'm in a league with my brother for instance. If he asks me who he should start, I'd never think to look at who he was playing and if giving him wrong advice will help me. That would be weird. I'd just answer. 

9 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I think it is TBH. I'm in a league with my brother for instance. If he asks me who he should start, I'd never think to look at who he was playing and if giving him wrong advice will help me. That would be weird. I'd just answer. 

So has he?

I think it would be weirder if he asked and was actually playing you lol

23 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Same here. My buddy and I have been in same league for over a decade and we have been very successful to the point that he trusts my advice. I would never give him wrong info. It's rare because he does as much research as I do, but it's been a handful of times he has wanted a second opinion.

Remember, advice is advice. It doesn't mean it's right. Personally, I'll trust my research before anyone else.

Edited by nonstopfan

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

Same here. My buddy and I have been in same league for over a decade and we have been very successful to the point that he trusts my advice. I would never give him wrong info. It's rare because he does as much research as I do, but it's been a handful of times he has wanted a second opinion.

I wasn't thinking of giving the wrong information, I was thinking that the BF could tell the GF to pick up said player that may help her but it would also help him by blocking an opponent that he may be matched up against or sees as competition.  That's where things could get messy and that's the issue that the commissioner needs to get ahead of. 

I wasn't thinking of giving the wrong information, I was thinking that the BF could tell the GF to pick up said player that may help her but it would also help him by blocking an opponent that he may be matched up against or sees as competition.  That's where things could get messy and that's the issue that the commissioner needs to get ahead of. 

I think everyone can get behind that.

I didn't get the impression anything shady was going on. But really, If I'm playing a good friend, we won't go as far as to give each other sit/start advice, but we talk about matchups and what not.

5 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

That does make sense and could happen but can you really control that? That's one of those things where you have to hope that you have some owners of integrity, because in a league where everyone knows each other, the opportunity will always be there present or not with or without rules.

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

That does make sense and could happen but can you really control that? That's one of those things where you have to hope that you have some owners of integrity, because in a league where everyone knows each other, the opportunity will always be there present or not with or without rules.

I don't think you can control it but you can at least shine a light on it from the beginning in hopes that it deters any possible actions.  Agree that it can happen in any league but I would expect it to be more likely in a situation like this with a GF & BF vs two buddies, but I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Yes but in this scenario the couple has controlling interest of two teams not one.

And it does not sound like the couple abused that fact in this league, this year.  But I still don't like the idea of two partners from the same couple being in the same league.  Everything they do, innocuous or not, is going to be scrutinized as potential collusion.  Better to have couples co-manage the same team if they want to be in a league together.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And it does not sound like the couple abused that fact in this league, this year.  But I still don't like the idea of two partners from the same couple being in the same league.  Everything they do, innocuous or not, is going to be scrutinized as potential collusion.  Better to have couples co-manage the same team if they want to be in a league together.

If you don't trust them not to collude, why would you want to be in a league with either?

I had a similar situation happen once.  New guy in the league who knew nothing about football drafted number one overall and selected JJ Watt ( We play with IDP) He became the laughing stock of the league and people were looking forward to playing him as he was an easy victory. Came to me for advice and I helped him out a bit . No one had an issue with it until he beat the commish. knocking him out of the playoff picture. Got myself a lifetime ban from that league

If you can’t talk strategy with anyone in your league, it takes a bit of fun out of the game, not to mention she was taking advice from someone that was knocked out of contention, so how good is the advice anyway.  Harden the F Up.

6 hours ago, Jayhawk328 said:

I'll try and provide a high-level summary of the issue, and I was hoping you all can provide your input on whether or not you think it's an actual issue.

I am the commissioner for a 12 team league that has just ended. One of the managers in the league has an issue with a particular team because it's a girl that gets a little help from one of the other managers in the league (her boyfriend). Here are some quick facts - 

1. I was present with her and her boyfriend when we all drafted our teams. She drafted her entire team, but did get input from her BF a few times when trying to decide between 2 players. 

2. Once the season started, she would also get input from her boyfriend on who to start, who to pick up, etc. She did not make any trades this year and her pick-ups were very minimal. He would not pick up players for her, but would typically just help her decide between 2-4 players on who to pick up if one of her players was on bye week. Keep in mind that her BF also has a team in the league, paid his entry fee like everyone else, and was also in contention most of the year. 

3. During playoffs, her BF continued to provide input on her team since he was eliminated from the playoffs.

Now with all that being said, one of the managers has an issue with her getting help throughout the season. As commissioner, I am trying to decide if I should not allow her to be in the league next year like one of the managers wants. My current stance is that she paid her league dues like everyone else and most importantly, drafted her own team (since I was physically present), it doesn't matter what happens after that as long as she didn't collude with any other teams, which she definitely did not. I should also point out that the manager that has an issue with her finished in 1st place, but was making a big fuss about the situation during the super bowl week when they played each other.

So do you all see any issue with the above facts and circumstances and think this manager has a valid gripe? If so, should I remove her from the league next year? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Post a link and I WHIR. Thanks so much.

After reading all the other comments I personally wouldn’t want to be in any money league with couples owning two different teams whether they were husband/wife or GF/BF or male/male etc.... I don’t trust anybody when it comes to money 

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

If you don't trust them not to collude, why would you want to be in a league with either?

If they are co-managing the same team, they can work together and help each other (a natural thing for couples to do) as much as they like.

My concern is not necessarily that the couple will collude with one another, it is more likely that anything they do could be perceived as collusion to the great disruption and disorder of a well-run league.

9 hours ago, Jayhawk328 said:

I'll try and provide a high-level summary of the issue, and I was hoping you all can provide your input on whether or not you think it's an actual issue.

I am the commissioner for a 12 team league that has just ended. One of the managers in the league has an issue with a particular team because it's a girl that gets a little help from one of the other managers in the league (her boyfriend). Here are some quick facts - 

1. I was present with her and her boyfriend when we all drafted our teams. She drafted her entire team, but did get input from her BF a few times when trying to decide between 2 players. 

2. Once the season started, she would also get input from her boyfriend on who to start, who to pick up, etc. She did not make any trades this year and her pick-ups were very minimal. He would not pick up players for her, but would typically just help her decide between 2-4 players on who to pick up if one of her players was on bye week. Keep in mind that her BF also has a team in the league, paid his entry fee like everyone else, and was also in contention most of the year. 

3. During playoffs, her BF continued to provide input on her team since he was eliminated from the playoffs.

Now with all that being said, one of the managers has an issue with her getting help throughout the season. As commissioner, I am trying to decide if I should not allow her to be in the league next year like one of the managers wants. My current stance is that she paid her league dues like everyone else and most importantly, drafted her own team (since I was physically present), it doesn't matter what happens after that as long as she didn't collude with any other teams, which she definitely did not. I should also point out that the manager that has an issue with her finished in 1st place, but was making a big fuss about the situation during the super bowl week when they played each other.

So do you all see any issue with the above facts and circumstances and think this manager has a valid gripe? If so, should I remove her from the league next year? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Post a link and I WHIR. Thanks so much.

No issues, unless the help was only when it benefited said "helper" but unless there are specifics to the help that might take it a step further, I would have no issues

21 hours ago, Jayhawk328 said:

No issue at all. People ask each other for advice all of the time in my leagues. It's when suspect trades start happening that you have a issue.

17 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If they are co-managing the same team, they can work together and help each other (a natural thing for couples to do) as much as they like.

My concern is not necessarily that the couple will collude with one another, it is more likely that anything they do could be perceived as collusion to the great disruption and disorder of a well-run league.

I co-manage a team with my wife.  She wanted to join, have her own team and be included but based on how she managed a team with her coworkers while we were dating (basically drafted and dropped it) I didn't want to push for a dead team to join the league. 

Now she enjoys it much more because she doesn't have to put in to much time but gets a kick out of sh** talking our friends, works out great!

24 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I co-manage a team with my wife.  She wanted to join, have her own team and be included but based on how she managed a team with her coworkers while we were dating (basically drafted and dropped it) I didn't want to push for a dead team to join the league. 

Now she enjoys it much more because she doesn't have to put in to much time but gets a kick out of sh** talking our friends, works out great!

Ideal scenario imo.

Back in 2012 when I co-managed a league with my wife, I would pretend she was the "heavy" and the real power behind the throne in all trade negotiations.  "I would love to include McFadden in the deal, but my wife has drawn a line in the sand on that issue."  Good times.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Ideal scenario imo.

Back in 2012 when I co-managed a league with my wife, I would pretend she was the "heavy" and the real power behind the throne in all trade negotiations.  "I would love to include McFadden in the deal, but my wife has drawn a line in the sand on that issue."  Good times.

Haha, that's a good one that I will be adding to my arsenal!

Yeah it works out, whenever Im torn on who to start she makes the call.  Some of the 2017 highlights:  K. Benjamin over Tate in week 1, lost our matchup by 2.3 points and picking up and starting Blair Walsh in week 9, he put up -3 lol!

On 12/28/2017 at 9:14 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

So get rid of the people complaining.

Sounds like a crappy people issue, not a league issue.