lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

4 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

So get rid of the people complaining.

Sounds like a crappy people issue, not a league issue.

Nope, no crappy people required when the dynamic is two people who are romantically paired and co-habitating controlling two different teams in a money league.  It's a setup just asking for trouble.

Siblings, on the other hand, now that is a different story.  We have had no competitive or collusive issues with the numerous siblings in our league who have been involved for 10+ years.

I've played in leagues with couples and never had issues of collusion. I'm honestly curious as to why there are would be worries about collusion, do the same worries occur in poker or other games?

I also play with my fiance in one, and all it does is illustrate I spend too much time researching this s---. Her draft philosophy is s--- like TY because she thinks he's a good father and Larry Fitz for his booty and have better overall years than I do.

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nope, no crappy people required when the dynamic is two people who are romantically paired and co-habitating controlling two different teams in a money league.  It's a setup just asking for trouble.

Not if they are reasonable adults that don't cheat at fantasy football.

I play in a league with a couple, never had an issue.

Really 99% of the problems that come up here are just problems with playing with crappy people.

I bet you are the type that vetoes trades because you don't want other people to get better.

Grow up and make better friends.

Edited by dmb3684

5 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Really 99% of the problems that come up here are just problems with playing with crappy people.

I bet you are the type that vetoes trades because you don't want other people to get better.

You want to play in a league where two teams have a direct financial incentive for one or the other or both to win?  Be my guest.  You won't convince me it is a good idea.  Especially not using the, er, technique you have chosen.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:55 AM, Jayhawk328 said:

I'll try and provide a high-level summary of the issue, and I was hoping you all can provide your input on whether or not you think it's an actual issue.

I am the commissioner for a 12 team league that has just ended. One of the managers in the league has an issue with a particular team because it's a girl that gets a little help from one of the other managers in the league (her boyfriend). Here are some quick facts - 

1. I was present with her and her boyfriend when we all drafted our teams. She drafted her entire team, but did get input from her BF a few times when trying to decide between 2 players. 

2. Once the season started, she would also get input from her boyfriend on who to start, who to pick up, etc. She did not make any trades this year and her pick-ups were very minimal. He would not pick up players for her, but would typically just help her decide between 2-4 players on who to pick up if one of her players was on bye week. Keep in mind that her BF also has a team in the league, paid his entry fee like everyone else, and was also in contention most of the year. 

3. During playoffs, her BF continued to provide input on her team since he was eliminated from the playoffs.

Now with all that being said, one of the managers has an issue with her getting help throughout the season. As commissioner, I am trying to decide if I should not allow her to be in the league next year like one of the managers wants. My current stance is that she paid her league dues like everyone else and most importantly, drafted her own team (since I was physically present), it doesn't matter what happens after that as long as she didn't collude with any other teams, which she definitely did not. I should also point out that the manager that has an issue with her finished in 1st place, but was making a big fuss about the situation during the super bowl week when they played each other.

So do you all see any issue with the above facts and circumstances and think this manager has a valid gripe? If so, should I remove her from the league next year? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Post a link and I WHIR. Thanks so much.

Are you the boyfriend?  How do you know that the girlfriend is getting all this in-season management advice?  How do you know the boyfriend is deciding who to start and pick-up?  Does she post on the message board "I was going to start Dwayne Washington but my boyfriend told me to use Kenyan Drake instead?"  Seems like you have a little too much knowledge of this situation than you should.

In any case, all this talk about a simple fantasy league where presumably you are friends and nobody is playing for their rent or mortgage payment.  So everybody needs to take a chill pill and just relax and have fun.

I saw some other posts about vetoes. My league got rid of the veto rule after one year of trying it because every single trade got vetoed.  Real NFL teams aren't allowed to veto other teams trades.  Should be the same in fake fantasy football.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:19 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

You want to play in a league where two teams have a direct financial incentive for one or the other or both to win?  Be my guest.  You won't convince me it is a good idea.  Especially not using the, er, technique you have chosen.

Everyone in here except for you seems fine with it. You just sound immature and petty.

7 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Everyone in here except for you seems fine with it. You just sound immature and petty.

This league you are in with a married couple, each with their own team: have one or both of them won quite often?  Have you ever won it?  

They say if you are sitting at the poker table and you cannot figure out who the "mark" is, that means it's you.

There’s a couple in my work league that I commish and it’s been going for a few years and there’s been no hints of collusion at all. They actually finished in the last two places this season so it is what it is is

14 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I am not fine with it either because this league ca$h was involved (paid entry)  --- also what this guy told us in his original post this GF was getting input all season long from the BF and this input kept going during her run in the playoffs. I even would have to bet this BF had his GF password and was the one in charge of both teams, also I would even bet the original poster was the BF as @CooL pointed out

On 12/30/2017 at 6:59 AM, dmb3684 said:

I am not seeing why you needed to add those last two sentences. All because @SharkSwimmer doesn't agree with you. That makes you look immature. 

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Did I hurt his feelings?

I bet you voted for Hillary.

Actually you didn't hurt my feelings, and if you will pause from your name-calling long enough, you may be able to appreciate the fact that I am putting on a clinic of elegant troll-control at your expense.

As for vetoing, I believe team managers should be able to make trades that improve their teams without their rivals being able to cancel them for competitive reasons.  So I would vastly prefer to play in a league with settings that call for commissioner only veto, to be employed only in the case of extraordinarily obvious collusion.  But if my league settings allowed for rival veto, I would do it because vetoing rivals's trades is consistent with doing everything to win.

32 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Actually you didn't hurt my feelings, and if you will pause from your name-calling long enough, you may be able to appreciate the fact that I am putting on a clinic of elegant troll-control at your expense.

As for vetoing, I believe team managers should be able to make trades that improve their teams without their rivals being able to cancel them for competitive reasons.  So I would vastly prefer to play in a league with settings that call for commissioner only veto, to be employed only in the case of extraordinarily obvious collusion.  But if my league settings allowed for rival veto, I would do it because vetoing rivals's trades is consistent with doing everything to win.

Agreed with you on vetoes.

Agree to disagree on the original post.

Happy New Year.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Completely agree about vetoes and we have commissioner only vetoes, which has never been exercised. If I had a league voted veto system that everyone else would use to block my trades, you better believe I'd do the same to everyone else.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Agreed with you on vetoes.

Agree to disagree on the original post.

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you, too.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

On 12/29/2017 at 10:41 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Depends on the league, IMHO. The league I play in is my fiancé's league. It's 12 teams, $25 entry, and fully 6 teams in the league are owned by 3 couples. 

My fiancé will bounce start/sit advice off of me, waiver wire advice, etc. I personally see nothing wrong with that, just as I see nothing wrong with coming here onto the site and asking people in the assistant coach threads or reading research online. After all, in no leagues do we expect people to just make decisions based purely on only what is in their own heads. You make use of whatever research you have available. 

I try to make my advice as good as I can -- at least on weeks when I'm not playing her. Then I tell her to start her scrubs :D  But she knows better than to ask me for advice when we're facing each other lol. 

Obviously I love her and want her to do well [defined as her coming in 2nd place to me in 1st lol]. And being engaged and co-habitating there could be a financial benefit to her doing well. But we each manage our own teams for our own benefit. Collusion would be like managing our teams as a combined team, i.e. trading players back and forth to have best chances during bye weeks, etc. Or for me to perhaps tell her to drop a specific player when adding one from waivers because I really want the player she'd be dropping. Things like that would be IMHO collusion. Advice, in my opinion,  does not qualify. 

Of the 3 couples, there's one where I've seen a few shady things [knowing them as I do, it's entirely the husband who is shady]. But he finished 12th last year and 9th this year, so he's particularly terrible at being shady anyway. 

Are ESPN leagues going to have a stat correction this week? If so, what's the deadline?

In our league the 3rd place and 4th place teams finished their matchup tied in the playoffs. By rule [default in ESPN leagues], the playoff tiebreaker goes to the higher-seeded team coming into the playoffs. So we don't need a tiebreaker. But we pay out 3rd place and 4th place gets nothing, so we need to know whether there's any chance the scores will change.

ESPN always says [in regular weeks] scores aren't final until the following Saturday. So I assume we need to wait until then to declare a final result?

11 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Are ESPN leagues going to have a stat correction this week? If so, what's the deadline?

In our league the 3rd place and 4th place teams finished their matchup tied in the playoffs. By rule [default in ESPN leagues], the playoff tiebreaker goes to the higher-seeded team coming into the playoffs. So we don't need a tiebreaker. But we pay out 3rd place and 4th place gets nothing, so we need to know whether there's any chance the scores will change.

ESPN always says [in regular weeks] scores aren't final until the following Saturday. So I assume we need to wait until then to declare a final result?

Seems pretty clear cut...

On January 1, 2018 at 1:37 PM, CooL said:

Completely agree about vetoes and we have commissioner only vetoes, which has never been exercised. If I had a league voted veto system that everyone else would use to block my trades, you better believe I'd do the same to everyone else.

Such a weak move...just find a better league.

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Such a weak move...just find a better league.

Well, yeah, that's always the cop-out answer.  My league doesn't have a veto system.  We voted to get rid of it because of all the crap that people were doing and abusing the veto power to prevent teams from improving themselves.  Would I have stayed if the veto had remained in place?  I don't know.  It's a league full of really long-time friends, so it would have been hard to leave. 

22 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

Depends on the league, IMHO. The league I play in is my fiancé's league. It's 12 teams, $25 entry, and fully 6 teams in the league are owned by 3 couples. 

No disrespect meant, as there are certainly leagues of all shapes and sizes.  But I think if my entry fee is $25, it just wouldn't be worth the mental anguish to worry about people colluding...

15 minutes ago, CooL said:

Well, yeah, that's always the cop-out answer. 

Leaving is not a cop-out, it's an suggestion...now, one could choose to remain in a league and deal with it, if it's with people you enjoy, but vetoing because it was done to you is by any definition weak decision.

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Leaving is not a cop-out, it's an suggestion...now, one could choose to remain in a league and deal with it, if it's with people you enjoy, but vetoing because it was done to you is by any definition weak decision.

Fair enough.  But if you choose to remain in such league, and everybody is vetoing your trades because they don't want you to improve your team, you mean to tell me that you wouldn't do the same to others?  I'd like to believe that people could be virtuous and turn the other cheek, but in a competitive league, I just don't see that happening.  Which is why I was glad that the veto got overturned.  In a league of friends, I don't see any reason to have a veto rule in place.  Public leagues may be a different animal, but that's why I don't play in leagues where I don't know the other players.

10 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I think every team manager should play to win within the rules and league settings of the league they are in.  If your league has majority vote veto, you should scare up some votes and veto any trades that help your opponents.  My rival has two great TEs and he can't start them both?  Block him from trading  one of them with a veto.  But I would prefer not to be in a league like that...

Just my opinion here...

Having a league with a system in place that allows people to impede the improvement of other teams is stupid and needs to be fixed.  

If certain things aren't fixed with the league then they should be continued to be exploited for the individual to look out for one's own self winning the league.

Restating this with an example based on discussion:

If I was in a league that allowed for league veto from all players and I saw 2 teams clearly getting stronger in a trade that might pose a threat to my title, why the hell would I NOT veto that trade?  

Am I supposed to let it go through for sportsmanship?  To have the satisfaction of being the best and beating the best?  

Of course not.  That is asinine logic.  Of course I'm going to veto those trades EVERY SINGLE TIME if I were to have that ability.  I want that MFing W.  

That's why you gotta remove those abilities from the hands of the league and just put it in the hands of the commissioner who should basically just push every trade through.  Even TRAPES.  TRAPES are a part of the game.  If you are fortunate enough to be on the good side of one of those you know how much work you put into it and how amazing it felt when that clown hit the accept button lol.

As far as telling everyone to always quit the league or find new league etc...

Some of us play with friends and want to fix what we have.  Not all situations are the same.  I don't think most people that play in complete anonymity with vague online leagues even care to come in here and think of ways to fix or better their leagues or get all worked up emotionally about a situation they want everyone here to weigh in on. 

The "find a new league" response is a poor response IMO.

3 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

That's why you gotta remove those abilities from the hands of the league and just put it in the hands of the commissioner who should basically just push every trade through.  Even TRAPES.  TRAPES are a part of the game.  If you are fortunate enough to be on the good side of one of those you know how much work you put into it and how amazing it felt when that clown hit the accept button lol.

As far as telling everyone to always quit the league or find new league etc...

Some of us play with friends and want to fix what we have.  Not all situations are the same.  I don't think most people that play in complete anonymity with vague online leagues even care to come in here and think of ways to fix or better their leagues or get all worked up emotionally about a situation they want everyone here to weigh in on. 

The "find a new league" response is a poor response IMO.

TRAPES.  Ha, I've never heard that term.  But I've seen a lot of TRAPES in the past and they just get pushed through.  Usually it happens when one guy way overvalues somebody and believes him to be a league winner.

And completely agree about the "find a new league" comment.  If you're playing with your childhood friends, and you've got this stupid rule in place that you don't like, you're not just going to leave the league with all your friends.  You're going to have an adult discussion about it.  You're going to present your arguments for changing the rule.  And you're going to make your league better for it.  My league is so much happier when we got rid of the veto rule.  They were happier when we finally moved to FAAB.  You tinker with your league settings and rules to make it more enjoyable for all, which after all, is the name of the game.  (Aside from winning the MFing trophy and some money.)

Everyone's league is unique, but here's how I look at the whole veto thing. My main league is a league full of friends and has a veto system...but we haven't had one trade blocked in 12 years. There have been an occasional stray vetoes thrown out here or there, but nothing to lead to it going to commish review for the final review (I personally have never used the veto myself). How have we accomplished this across 12 seasons, in which every owner does their best to win?

1. We don't make collusive trades that would warrant a veto and overturn.

2. We don't make non-collusive but blatantly unfair deals that would cause an uproar. This is accomplished by having owners that know their stuff.

3. We treat others the way we want to be treated. Perhaps that's a cliche, but nobody wants to see their own deal vetoed...so why do it to others and create a poisonous environment?

With that said, for those in leagues where vetoes are a problem, it makes sense to get rid of the veto system and see what happens from there. 

Edited by Corleone