Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kball09

Jaron Brown 2017 Season Outlook

Didn't see a topic on Jaron, but the most recent blurb is below. Anything to see here? Should be on the waiver wire and any #2 in AZ I'm going to be interested in. PPR value?

8869.jpg

Coach Bruce Arians said Jaron Brown is the Cardinals' No. 2 receiver.

Arians added a "right now," but Brown has taken hold of the job while John Brown (quad) has been nursing a quad strain for the past three weeks. A fifth-year possession-type receiver, Brown hasn't gotten many opportunities, but he was pushing at the No. 2 gig last season when Michael Floyd was scuffling. Brown ended up tearing his ACL in October. He's been all systems go in camp.
Source: azcardinals.com
Aug 16 - 11:03 AM

Absolutely worth a pick at this point. The #2 in AZ should have some value, even the #3 might. I'm a JJ Nelson fan but he's clearly lower in the pecking order at this point and John Brown has been day-to-day for what feels like 2 years. He's worth a flier at the least. 

1 hour ago, '71 Bucks said:

Absolutely worth a pick at this point. The #2 in AZ should have some value, even the #3 might. I'm a JJ Nelson fan but he's clearly lower in the pecking order at this point and John Brown has been day-to-day for what feels like 2 years. He's worth a flier at the least. 

Jaron Brown will be useful for as long as John Brown misses games, but I don't think Jaron has passed JJ Nelson in the pecking order, per se. 

You have to remember how depth charts work. This is still the top of the depth chart when everyone is healthy:

WR1: Larry Fitzgerald

WR2: John Brown

WR3: JJ Nelson

With John Brown out, they have to turn to the back up WR2. That would be Jaron Brown. 

It would be like if Sanu was hurt and Justin Hardy was filling in as the #2. That wouldn't mean he'd jumped Gabriel on the depth chart. 

I think you're muddling 1,2,3 with X,Y,Z. It doesn't sound like he would be replacing Brown in formations, it sounds like he would be on the field in 2 WR sets over JJ Nelson right now, along with Larry.

3 minutes ago, kball09 said:

I think you're muddling 1,2,3 with X,Y,Z. It doesn't sound like he would be replacing Brown in formations, it sounds like he would be on the field in 2 WR sets over JJ Nelson right now, along with Larry.

Maybe. Although, Larry and Jaron are both possession receivers, while JJ is a downfield speedster, so I'm not sure. 

Furthermore, I don't think Arizona runs very many 2 TE sets. 

7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Maybe. Although, Larry and Jaron are both possession receivers, while JJ is a downfield speedster, so I'm not sure. 

Yeah, agreed, the point may be moot anyway.

20 minutes ago, kball09 said:

This is how I took it, too. I do like JJ's talent more than Jaron, so if I misinterpreted then I still like JJ more. But if Jaron is truly getting run ahead of JJ, meaning he would be on the field in 2 wide sets instead of Nelson, he warrants at least a flier. It's a situation to monitor the rest of P.S. as of now

There is also speculation that this was a move made by Arians to motivate some injured/underachieving receivers on the roster.

7 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Arizona doesn't even really use a tight end except as an extra offensive lineman. Since last year Fitzgerald has been their de facto tight end.  Arians loves 3 WR sets and going max protect using a blocking tight end.

Is this the opening that Chad Williams needs to make an impact this year -or- is he too raw and slated to learn Fitzgerald's position?

2 hours ago, cousinal111 said:

It should be noted Jaron Brown tore his ACL last October. 

If we use the AD&D scale to measure constitution / injury recovery, with Steve Smith at the top (19), and Alshon and Watkins towards the bottom (5-7), reports indicate that Jaron Brown has healed exceptionally well and is practicing at full speed (placing him around 14, near Big Ben). Can't say if Jaron Brown trains harder or treats his physical therapy more earnestly, but healthwise all has been positive since the tear.

2 hours ago, Elwood333 said:

Is this the opening that Chad Williams needs to make an impact this year -or- is he too raw and slated to learn Fitzgerald's position?

Williams has missed most of training camp due to injury. He won't be making an impact anytime soon. Arians has been way irked with the entire receiving core since camp opened. They've all been injured and not practicing except Fitz and Jaron Brown, which is why the latter is the de-facto #2 right now. I just don't see John Brown ever being healthy enough to play consistently again. Its sad, but he hasn't been himself since 2015. JJ Nelson lacks concentration and just can't catch the ball consistently (tries to body-catch everything). Jaron is likely to get a lot of opportunities this season barring a miracle recovery from John Brown. What he does with the opportunities is a different question.

Biggest reason not mentioned is that Jaron's a bigger body and better blocker in the run game. 

This is his 5th season and he has yet to have any fantasy relevance, hard to get excited at all about him but I guess it's worth a flier in deep leagues

To be fair he's been pretty buried in their depth chart. With Floyd gone and John Brown still fighting constant injuries, he has his opportunity. For the very low price you'll pay right now on draft day he's certainly worth a flier. 

so he's in this weeks "waiver wired," no mention of his hyperextended knee, and his player page has no mention of his hyperextended knee.

when i added him to my waiver claims on cbs i was shocked to see the little injury icon. it's pretty sad that i learned this from cbs, because their player info blows.

2 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

so he's in this weeks "waiver wired," no mention of his hyperextended knee, and his player page has no mention of his hyperextended knee.

when i added him to my waiver claims on cbs i was shocked to see the little injury icon. it's pretty sad that i learned this from cbs, because their player info blows.

Huh?  So he's hurt you're saying?

2 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

I saw that also.

by RotoWire staff

Brown  hyperextended his left knee during Sunday's 16-13 overtime victory at Indianapolis, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com reports.

En route to four receptions (on 11 targets) for 73 yards by game's end, Brown suffered the injury when Colts safety Matthias Farley happened to fall on his knee in the fourth quarter. After stating the region was sore Monday, he also admitted his fortune that "it wasn't any more serious," as the knee endured a torn ACL last October. The Cardinals have a longer week than normal with a Monday night matchup against the Cowboys on tap, meaning Brown's health likely won't be touched on again until the team's first Week 3 injury report is released Thursday.

Hmmmm thanks for the info.  I didn't see this anywhere.  If this dude is hurting come Monday that's going to add fuel to the fire to start Nelson or Fitz....strong case to perhaps start both now that I'm thinking about it.

They are going to have to pass the ball now with that running game no longer the anchor to move the ball.  

Need a miracle.  Had 11 targets last week.  I didn't know about the knee issue until now, so that puts a damper on it all.