jtbgator

2017 Team Defense and Kicker thread

I like JAX as a sleeper D this year, and I also like Pittsburgh.  

Pittsburgh's first couple weeks look like nice opportunities: Cleveland, Minny, Chicago, Baltimore, Jacksonville.  Nice opportunity to stream Pitt for the first few weeks until something else emerges.  Schedule gets quite a bit tougher afterwards

• Like 1

Steelers D/ST in every league for me. Teams will have to keep up with their high scoring offense. While Shazier roams the middle and TJ Watt harasses the other teams QB...Cake schedule to start the season too. 

@Browns

VS MIN

@ Bears

@Balt

vs JAX

Edited by Finally Detroit Wins
  • Like 1

The Chargers are a decent option with Denver, MIA, KC, and Phi to start. I think they have talent all over the field and will rack up sacks and turnovers. Could be a sleeper for number 1 overall defense if the schedule holds up. NYG, Oak, Den, NE is a tough four game stretch though. 

What about the Eagles D?  I've been grabbing them as the last pick in most of my mocks.  They're ranked around DST15 for some reason.  They finished as the 6th defense in my league last year.

I'm Ron Burgundy?

I usually just stream and I'm eyeing the Rams week 1 against the Colts helmed by J.R.R. Tolzein at the Colliseum. 

• Like 4

I haven't looked at schedules, but the Rams should be great.  Wade Phillips always does a great job unleashing the front 7 and he's got a lot to work with (Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Barwin, Ogletree).  He always has a big impact in his first year with a team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What about the Eagles D?  I've been grabbing them as the last pick in most of my mocks.  They're ranked around DST15 for some reason.  They finished as the 6th defense in my league last year.

The secondary is burnt toast. Maybe better after the trade of Matthews that netted a corner. Eagles historically have forced lots of turnovers and scored many TD's though. I wait till the end to take this, so this thread is pretty useful. lol 

Was looking at Rams but they don't have Donald in camp, lost DB's so I don't think they are going to be at full speed. Colts are looking like a mess though so I might go with them anyhow

Eagles, the front guys are simply better than last year. The secondary is still a bit suspect, but you'll get a picks or pick 6s here and there.

Anyone else feeling PITT D as a solid start to the season?

1-@CLE

2-MIN

3-@CHI

4-@BAL

5-JAX

6-@KC

7-CIN

8-@DET

9-BYE

• Like 1

I like Baltimore for the first few weeks. Easy schedule, and as long as Flacco plays they shouldn't have trouble keeping up with Cleveland or Jacksonville. Cincy in week 1 could be an issue though.

• Like 1

What do you think about the Fins D? Obviously not to start, but as a 2nd D to go along with the Ravens?

I'm in a 12 team dynasty with 30 man rosters. Most teams have 2 or 3 defenses rostered, for some reason. 

I don't currently own a defense. The waiver wire is a wasteland. 

My options for week 1. 

Colts at Rams

Lions vs. Cardinals

Cowboys vs. Giants

Redskins vs. Eagles

This league minimizes the value of defenses. Defensive TDs are only worth 4 points, and yardage/points allowed don't count for as many points as typical leagues. 

Would you go with one of these ugly options, or should I consider trading for a defense??

In 12-14 team leagues, at what ADP should DEF/Kickers start going?

I've seen them start going in the 90's which seems atrocious to me, but wanted to hear opinions.

1 hour ago, CORTEz said:

In 12-14 team leagues, at what ADP should DEF/Kickers start going?

I've seen them start going in the 90's which seems atrocious to me, but wanted to hear opinions.

It all depends on how your league scoring is set up with DSTs.

Usually you wait but if your league rewards return yards, long TDs, yards allowed, etc., it wouldnt be crazy to grab one around the 90s. In my league, good DSTs can give you RB2/WR2 production so yea...

4 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

It all depends on how your league scoring is set up with DSTs.

Usually you wait but if your league rewards return yards, long TDs, yards allowed, etc., it wouldnt be crazy to grab one around the 90s. In my league, good DSTs can give you RB2/WR2 production so yea...

Nope, just regular settings for DSTs. No return yards etc....

Is somewhere in the 120s seem right? or Should people like DEN and Justin Tucker go before that?

2 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Nope, just regular settings for DSTs. No return yards etc....

Is somewhere in the 120s seem right? or Should people like DEN and Justin Tucker go before that?

You gotta be flexible too, as in watch what the other guys in your league are doing. If its standard scoring for your DSTs, I'd focus on RB/WR depth. 

Or dont draft a DST unit and just stream... =)

What's everyone think about these streaming options for week 1?

Rams vs Colts (no Andrew Luck)

Bills vs Jets (lol Jets)