jtbgator

2017 Team Defense and Kicker thread

So 4 defenses scored over 20 pts this wk:

LA Rams (v. Indy) - Colts qb and Oline were really bad

Jax (v. Hou) - Hou qb and Oline were really bad

Bal (v. Cin) - no TD, otherwise they would have highest score

Phi (v. Was) - had the toughest offensive opponent of the four

Are they all for real? Whose defensive performance is more repeatable vs fluke? How would you rank them going forward?

42 minutes ago, alexcuse said:

Are they all for real? Whose defensive performance is more repeatable vs fluke? How would you rank them going forward?

Eagles defense looked legit but its mostly the other teams sucked hard.  

I got auto drafted Hauschka and Minnesota defense. Think I should ride these for a bit or just stream away? 

6 hours ago, alexcuse said:

I wouldnt be shocked to see all 4 in the top 5-10 range come end of season.

out of the bunch I think balt is the most legit and has a lot of nice matchups. Cleveland twice (one in playoffs) Houston, jax, minny Chicago. 

Next I like the jags, tons of young talent paired with their big acquisitions on d this year may finally have put together something special. Tons of juicy matchups as well,browns, arizona, rams, jets, and Houston then San Fran weeks 15-16

Eagles are number three here imo. Though they could end up the best of the bunch if they force turnovers they way they have the past few years and take them to the house plus sproles doing his thing. Not many soft spots though, and should be a high scoring offense which will lead to some shootouts .

the rams while talented don't have as many soft spots to really capitalize on. And while they looked the best a lot of that was the product of tolzien. While they do have the niners jags and Houston, Weeks 14-16 they have philly Seattle and tennesee. Not ideal.

Baltimore was my highest scorer this week. They got a juicy matchup against the Browns coming up. Jags look like they are legit too.

I have the Cardinals D on 2 of my more important leagues, as someone mentioned with DJ out do yous think it would be a good idea to drop them and stream? The only thing is they have a pretty solid D but with DJ out Palmer is going to have to step up. They do make plays and get points but I fear if the offense is that bad opposing teams will just wear the D out.

Also I have Vinateri in my 1 league....wow big mistake this week lol. I figured with Luck out they could still move the ball somewhat and put up some field goals...couldn't have been more wrong.

After waivers should I drop him and pick up maybe the Raiders new kicker or just stream until I find a solid weekly starter? I like Vinateri and hate to drop him but with no timeline for Luck's return I hate to just keep him on my bench for weeks.

Edited by King Cane

16 hours ago, alexcuse said:

I streamed Baltimore this week so I could have them the next two weeks vs Browns and Jags, I got pretty lucky but i do think their defense is legit

i'm less enthused about rolling them out @ Jax in week 3 after yesterday though, Texas didn't even get a single sack on them, maybe things will normalize though..

As an Eagles fan I've watched their D form into a solid unit, the loss of Darby is going to hurt. That being said I definitely think they can finish top 4-6 this year. They are efficient with interceptions and defensive scoring. The down side is they play Dallas and the Giants twice and the Redskins once more. If the Redskins get their offense clicking, watch out.

Baltimore's D was pretty solid last year also and are looking stout again this year. As long as Flacco remains healthy to keep the offense moving and scoring I think their D will stay relevant. I can see them finishing 4-8 overall.

The Jaguars and Rams D looked stellar. The problem with the Jags is they always seem to flat line...but they have added some serious weapons on D through the draft and free agency so there's a good chance they remain stout all season long. I think Bortles is better then people give him credit for and with what seems to be a very fierce run game in Fournette they have the means to get ahead in games and control the clock with the run. Putting less pressure on the defense and keeping them fresh.

Lastly the Rams...well they're the Rams. Lol. I believe Wade Phillips is one of the greatest defensive gurus ever. The do have some solid weapons and they dominated that Colts game without there #1 defensive cog, Aaron Donald. However the Colts without Luck are about as good as the Browns last year it seems. I'd need to see there next game to see if that D is legit.

I hate to drop the Steelers just for a 1 week flavor. I really think they are going to wreck havoc

+ I think they will get to Bradford this week and bring him back down to earth a bit

I think the two most sought after defenses - Baltimore vs Cleveland and Oakland vs Jets might already be owned in a lot of leagues.

How do people feel about Cincy D vs Houston?  Rookie Watson likely playing?

Or Rams vs Washington?  Rams are getting Aaron Donald back and looked great against Colts, albeit it's the Colts and Tolzien sucks.  Washington did give up big defensive points to Philly D though last week.

20 minutes ago, CooL said:

I think the two most sought after defenses - Baltimore vs Cleveland and Oakland vs Jets might already be owned in a lot of leagues.

Or Rams vs Washington?  Rams are getting Aaron Donald back and looked great against Colts, albeit it's the Colts and Tolzien sucks.  Washington did give up big defensive points to Philly D though last week.

I was thinking about dropping them earlier and the more I do the more I like them again. At home against a Washington team that looked pretty bad I am holding at the very least till after waivers to see if they are better then the options out there. Nice match next week as well against san fran. 

am I crazy to drop Denver DST for Jacksonville? I know it's houston, but 10 sacks aint no joke. They literally have crazy young talent on defense and have the #1 rated schedule for DST. Meanwhile, Denver's defense has the toughest schedule for DST and literally only have cupcake matchup all season in the Jets in week 14. I think I'm going to give it a try. 

18 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

am I crazy to drop Denver DST for Jacksonville? I know it's houston, but 10 sacks aint no joke. They literally have crazy young talent on defense and have the #1 rated schedule for DST. Meanwhile, Denver's defense has the toughest schedule for DST and literally only have cupcake matchup all season in the Jets in week 14. I think I'm going to give it a try. 

I don't think so. Jags D is legit. Lots of talent there. I'm dumping Pit for them. Just curious...what #1 rated schedule are you referring to?

Just now, jtbgator said:

I don't think so. Jags D is legit. Lots of talent there. I'm dumping Pit for them. Just curious...what #1 rated schedule are you referring to?

their schedule is the easiest in terms of matchups for DST

Not sure if I want to drop the Giants for the Jags.  I think the Giants have a lot of talent and just ran into one of the worst matchups they could week 1.  Having no OBJ screwed with the Giants offense and didn't allow the defense much time to rest.  I dunno.  Which would you guys rather have going forward?  I almost feel like if I dropped the Giants for them nobody would run to snatch them.

2 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Not sure if I want to drop the Giants for the Jags.  I think the Giants have a lot of talent and just ran into one of the worst matchups they could week 1.  Having no OBJ screwed with the Giants offense and didn't allow the defense much time to rest.  I dunno.  Which would you guys rather have going forward?  I almost feel like if I dropped the Giants for them nobody would run to snatch them.

Jags way easier schedule

12 hours ago, CooL said:

I picked up Cin's DST vs HOU. Hou offense is a mess 

I added Jacksonville everywhere I could.

That defense is LOADED with talent at all three levels.

On the D-Line they have Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, Yannick Ngakoue (if you don't know him by now, you will soon), and Dante Fowler. 

At LB they have Telvin Smith, Myles Jack, and Paul Posluszny. (And Blair Brown as a backup who I really liked coming out of Ohio).

In the secondary they have Jalen Ramsey, Aj Bouye, Barry Church, and Tashaun Gipson.

Just absolutely stacked.

The only match-up I'd consider sitting them ROS is @PIT in Week 5.