Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtbgator

2017 Team Defense and Kicker thread

Are the Bengals a good play at home against the Bears? Yahoo has their projected points as being pretty good. Anyone else picking them up for next week?

Dropped Crosby today and picked up Gould.  Gonna start him over Elliott week 14 and tentatively week 15 (Ten and Hou) but his matchup week 16 vs the Jags I will try to avoid.  All 5 of his field goals yesterday came on drives starting within SF's 25.  Hoping that Garoppolo makes Gould gold moving the ball down the field but stalling in or around the redzone.  Elliott has only one attempt each of his last 4 outings-- one outing he missed most of the game-- and the Eagles went for it on fourth twice last night in FG range.... not that any of that has any bearing on Elliott's opportunities next week but I just feel a little more situational upside with Gould.

17 hours ago, GoBlue41 said:

Are the Bengals a good play at home against the Bears? Yahoo has their projected points as being pretty good. Anyone else picking them up for next week?

Yeah good matchup.  Think Bears are top 5 in giving points to opposing D's

would you drop the eagles D for the Patriots or Chargers for the playoffs (14,15,16)?

Jets Def, they play Denver

1 hour ago, The Answer said:

Jags owners a little nervous about Seattle?   Overthinking it?

If I own Wilson and Baldwin, yes.  Not the best matchup you could hope for but you have to start the jags D.

3 hours ago, The Answer said:

Jags owners a little nervous about Seattle?   Overthinking it?

Have to start Jags D. Matchup isn't ideal but you gotta start 'em.

Kickers tidbits:

Best Kicker Schedules Week 14-16

Phil Dawson (owned in 3.4 percent of ESPN leagues): Blaine Gabbert has made the Cardinals’ offense a fully functional unit — something it was never going to be with Drew Stanton under center — and Dawson reaped the benefits in Week 12, racking up four field goal tries. Dawson faces off against Tennessee in Week 14 (only five teams five up more field goal tries than the Titans and one team allows more schedule adjusted points to kickers), Washington in Week 15 (no one allows more field goal opportunity), and the Giants in Week 16 (eight of 12 kickers have scored at least eight fantasy points against Big Blue, and all but two kickers have multiple field goal tries against them).

Adam Vinatieri (owned in 43 percent of ESPN leagues): Arguably no kicker has a tastier rest-of-season schedule than the 69-year Colts veteran. If you think Indy can maintain some semblance of neutral or positive game script over the next few weeks against these opponents, Vinatieri becomes a plugged in starter. Vinatieri gets the Bills in Week 14 (Buffalo has been blasted by kickers for 79 fantasy points over their past five losses, as they allow the third most adjusted points to kickers), Denver in Week 15 (only four teams allow more adjusted points to kickers), and the Ravens in Week 16 (Baltimore has given up massive kicker opportunity in neutral and negative game scripts, allowing the ninth most schedule adjusted kicker production). I wouldn’t blame anyone for bailing on Vinatieri for this Week 16 tilt though. There will likely be better options out there.

Harrison Butker (owned in 56 percent of ESPN leagues): The people are abandoning the one once crowned as Goatker. The Chiefs’ offense, before Sunday’s explosion, had dragged Butker into the depths of the many kickers who never get a chance to put up big point totals. Perhaps Butker’s opportunity hasn’t permanently dried up. If it hasn’t, he has a highly exploitable fantasy playoff schedule, taking on the Raiders in Week 14 (three teams allow more field goal attempts, as nine of 13 kickers have managed at least eight points against Oakland), the Chargers in Week 15 (this is a fairly bad matchup though LA has allowed four monster kicker outputs along with a handful of paltry totals), and the Dolphins in Week 16. Miami has become a more appealing kicker matchup over the past month and a half; enemy kickers have scored at least 11 points in four of the Dolphins’ past five losses. If you think the shell of the Dolphins will struggle in a Week 16 matchup in Kansas City, Butker should be a no-brainer.

Kai Forbath (owned in 66 percent of ESPN leagues): Forbath, the kicker formerly known as Goatbath, will surely drop onto many waiver wires this week as fantasy footballers reel after three catastrophic performances from the Minnesota kicker. But hold strong, ye of little faith, for Goatbath has one fantastic fantasy playoff matchup and two decent ones: he gets Carolina in Week 14 (not a great situation, though the Panthers have given up double-digit points to kickers in two of their four losses), the Bengals in Week 15 (only one kicker has had fewer than two field goal attempts against Cincy in 2017), and Green Bay in Week 16. Probably Forbath isn’t quite as appealing against the Packers if Aaron Rodgers is back under center, as Green Bay has only become a kicker point sieve in the absence of its star signal-caller. Kickers have notched 10.43 fantasy points per game against the Packers since Rodgers went down in Week 6.

This could be close to matchup downgrade, but Russell Wilson can tend to struggle on the road and Jags are the best defense in the league. They’re stout against the pass, but susceptible against the run and against tight ends. If Wilson can consistently move the ball with his legs, with Jimmy Graham, or Mike Davis, it’s possible the Jags could underperform here. On a positive note, the Jags have forced a league-high 45 sacks, while Wilson has taken 28 sacks, the eighth-most in the league. The Jags have scored 172 fantasy points this season, which ranks 19th overall among all positions in standard leagues. You’re not sitting them here.

Any thoughts on Harrison Butker this week? Considering dropping him for another streamable kicker since he hasn't been really producing that many fgs...

Butker should be fine. I expect KC to have plenty of scoring chances vs OAK. Chiefs seemed to have righted the ship last week offensively.

How do you guys like Arizona DST this week hosting TEN?

I have Packers too (deep bench league) but I would like to pick up another player and cut the Pack. Worth noting my team is on absolute fire (8 straight wins, have Russell WIlson, Bell, Kamara, Larry Fitz and Julio) and I am playing against a terrible team for week 14.

With playoffs looking affirmed and a rock-solid starting lineup I horded the defenses last week:

Week 14 Packers @ CLE

Wk 15 Saints @ NYJ

Week 16 Arizona vs NYG

Just now, mrbonifacio said:

Anyone worried about Jags D vs Seattle? I'm considering picking up Packers vs Cleveland as a streaming option.

Jags D owner here. I'm not worried at all. Jags D has been steady all year. Yea, the matchup vs. SEA isn't ideal but it's not terrible Jags D is hands down better than GB. CLE all of a sudden has life offensively. Starting GB D screams trap to me. Stick with Jags. They've gotten you this far.

Jags will 100% get sacks against that O line, probably at least 1 pick, maybe they take one to the house. Might hold seattle to 10-14 pts if your scoring depends on that

1 minute ago, Anteater99 said:

Jags will 100% get sacks against that O line, probably at least 1 pick, maybe they take one to the house. Might hold seattle to 10-14 pts if your scoring depends on that

Agree, Jags D line will feast

I'm benching Russ for Alex Smith, which is an easy call, but only because he went off vs the Jets

6 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Jags D owner here. I'm not worried at all. Jags D has been steady all year. Yea, the matchup vs. SEA isn't ideal but it's not terrible Jags D is hands down better than GB. CLE all of a sudden has life offensively. Starting GB D screams trap to me. Stick with Jags. They've gotten you this far.

Agree on Packers D/ST being a trap.  The return of Gordon, even after only just one game, has shown himself to be a difference maker on the field, even if it is still with Kizer.  Also, Browns have the motivation of not wanting to go winless this season.  This game is the Browns' best chance to win a game.

Njoku emerging also. Packers put up 14 pts in my league based mostly on a fluke strip sack / td return. Also I believe TB was down 2 starting O lineman