jtbgator

2017 Team Defense and Kicker thread

Its Denver at home vs the Jets, or Packers on the road in Cleveland. 

Denver still has a good D on paper with big play potential against the Jets. Packers secondary is crippled, but they just need to win one more game until Rodgers comes back. So they could be motivated. Currently have the Packers btw. 

On 12/5/2017 at 10:59 AM, jtbgator said:

Have to start Jags D. Matchup isn't ideal but you gotta start 'em.

Kickers tidbits:

Best Kicker Schedules Week 14-16

Phil Dawson (owned in 3.4 percent of ESPN leagues): Blaine Gabbert has made the Cardinals’ offense a fully functional unit — something it was never going to be with Drew Stanton under center — and Dawson reaped the benefits in Week 12, racking up four field goal tries. Dawson faces off against Tennessee in Week 14 (only five teams five up more field goal tries than the Titans and one team allows more schedule adjusted points to kickers), Washington in Week 15 (no one allows more field goal opportunity), and the Giants in Week 16 (eight of 12 kickers have scored at least eight fantasy points against Big Blue, and all but two kickers have multiple field goal tries against them).

Adam Vinatieri (owned in 43 percent of ESPN leagues): Arguably no kicker has a tastier rest-of-season schedule than the 69-year Colts veteran. If you think Indy can maintain some semblance of neutral or positive game script over the next few weeks against these opponents, Vinatieri becomes a plugged in starter. Vinatieri gets the Bills in Week 14 (Buffalo has been blasted by kickers for 79 fantasy points over their past five losses, as they allow the third most adjusted points to kickers), Denver in Week 15 (only four teams allow more adjusted points to kickers), and the Ravens in Week 16 (Baltimore has given up massive kicker opportunity in neutral and negative game scripts, allowing the ninth most schedule adjusted kicker production). I wouldn’t blame anyone for bailing on Vinatieri for this Week 16 tilt though. There will likely be better options out there.

Harrison Butker (owned in 56 percent of ESPN leagues): The people are abandoning the one once crowned as Goatker. The Chiefs’ offense, before Sunday’s explosion, had dragged Butker into the depths of the many kickers who never get a chance to put up big point totals. Perhaps Butker’s opportunity hasn’t permanently dried up. If it hasn’t, he has a highly exploitable fantasy playoff schedule, taking on the Raiders in Week 14 (three teams allow more field goal attempts, as nine of 13 kickers have managed at least eight points against Oakland), the Chargers in Week 15 (this is a fairly bad matchup though LA has allowed four monster kicker outputs along with a handful of paltry totals), and the Dolphins in Week 16. Miami has become a more appealing kicker matchup over the past month and a half; enemy kickers have scored at least 11 points in four of the Dolphins’ past five losses. If you think the shell of the Dolphins will struggle in a Week 16 matchup in Kansas City, Butker should be a no-brainer.

Kai Forbath (owned in 66 percent of ESPN leagues): Forbath, the kicker formerly known as Goatbath, will surely drop onto many waiver wires this week as fantasy footballers reel after three catastrophic performances from the Minnesota kicker. But hold strong, ye of little faith, for Goatbath has one fantastic fantasy playoff matchup and two decent ones: he gets Carolina in Week 14 (not a great situation, though the Panthers have given up double-digit points to kickers in two of their four losses), the Bengals in Week 15 (only one kicker has had fewer than two field goal attempts against Cincy in 2017), and Green Bay in Week 16. Probably Forbath isn’t quite as appealing against the Packers if Aaron Rodgers is back under center, as Green Bay has only become a kicker point sieve in the absence of its star signal-caller. Kickers have notched 10.43 fantasy points per game against the Packers since Rodgers went down in Week 6.

With snow in buffalo this weekend would Adam Vinatieri be a bad play? Phil dawson is on my wire ?

14 minutes ago, HurryupO said:

With snow in buffalo this weekend would Adam Vinatieri be a bad play? Phil dawson is on my wire ?

Dawson, Phil ARI TEN 6
  Phil Dawson's Week 14 opponent, the Tennessee Titans, are a generous bunch for fantasy kickers, allowing the most fantasy points per game to the position. Still, with the Arizona kicking game a complete wild card in terms of what you're going to get on a weekly basis (they are ranked 29th in the NFL with a 72.0 percent field goal percentage), it's best that you explore the waiver wire to see if there are safer options available.

2 minutes ago, Woonga24 said:

y u do dis?

I forgot the ‘?’.... was asking if I should drop lutz for butker... I hate Thursday games haha

Edited by mjames242
Add ?

Bye this week.  I have Steelers D/ST - Week 15 vs NE and Week 16 @HOU.  Week 16 seems like a decent matchup but not the Patriots in Week 15.

Pick up which D/ST for Week 15?

Rams @ SEA

Saints vs NYJ

Panthers vs GB (Rodgers back?)

Bills vs MIA

Redskins vs ARI

Someone dropped Minny D.  My other options:

Bengals Vs. Bears

Jets @ Denver

Cowboys @ Giants

I know it's against Cam but man Minny D has been so solid this year.  Is anyone rolling with them this week?

56 minutes ago, mjames242 said:

I forgot the ‘?’.... was asking if I should drop lutz for butker... I hate Thursday games haha

I have Lutz and Ive had thoughts about switching it up. I hate that he missed a 38 yarder. Clean snap, clean hold, good protection....but pushed right the entire way. 

The dude only misses to the right. 

3 hours ago, Tenner said:

Its Denver at home vs the Jets, or Packers on the road in Cleveland. 

Denver still has a good D on paper with big play potential against the Jets. Packers secondary is crippled, but they just need to win one more game until Rodgers comes back. So they could be motivated. Currently have the Packers btw. 

Denver D just got waxed against Dolphins---HELLO?

On 12/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, Dead Money said:

How about Chargers D at home vs.  Washington

or

Detroit D on the road vs. Tampa?

hell to the no no for DET defense, GARBAGE

Currently have Green Bay loaded up for their matchup vs the Browns, anyone else going with them?

Other options are Bills vs Indy, and Cinci vs the Bears.

2 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Someone dropped Minny D.  My other options:

Bengals Vs. Bears

Jets @ Denver

Cowboys @ Giants

I know it's against Cam but man Minny D has been so solid this year.  Is anyone rolling with them this week?

Minny D is as legit a real tackle foosball defense as there is ... but they are a middlin' magick foosball unit - they just don't make the splash plays, as in scoring TDs off of created turnovers.  they are probably the best bet to bag you a very solid, if unspectacular, point total ... sorta like a RB in ppr who doesn't catch the ball or score many TDs, but racks up nice yardage - ya dig?

tl;dr - they won't ever kill ya, but they aren't winning the week for ya, either. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Minny D is as legit a real tackle foosball defense as there is ... but they are a middlin' magick foosball unit - they just don't make the splash plays, as in scoring TDs off of created turnovers.  they are probably the best bet to bag you a very solid, if unspectacular, point total ... sorta like a RB in ppr who doesn't catch the ball or score many TDs, but racks up nice yardage - ya dig?

tl;dr - they won't ever kill ya, but they aren't winning the week for ya, either. 

Any suggestions for the under the radar splash play D's for this week my friend?  

On 12/5/2017 at 2:16 PM, swaggyp said:

jets 

I picked up jets but IMO its a trap, jets def has sucked all year and denver at home will probably kick 20+ points in FGs alone.  Someone dropped chargers so im dropping jets for them, they have been red hot and the was o line is shaky

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

Any suggestions for the under the radar splash play D's for this week my friend?  

just like with positional players, TDs are fluky ... but the fact that Minny is not proficient there is troubling - units like the Chargers and Lions and Saints are all scoring more than Minny in our milieu because they have been racking those plays up.  none of those defenses are as talented as the Vikes from an NFL standpoint (Chargers are close), but they have all proven to be better options, scoring wise, in our lil' hobby.  

again, won't kill anyone for choosing them, they are a ridiculously tough unit, and you know mega points are not gonna be dropped on you by the opposing team (unless they play Cousins again :D) - so, yeah, they will be a great anchor.

splash play this week? man, would've loved the Bills more if Tyrod was healthy - the Peterman factor is too much of a variant for me, but they are an example of a team with a great match up, at home, vs a generous offense. 

34 minutes ago, Emerald12 said:

For the people with byes this week, who are you stashing for week 15 and 16? Chi? Wash? GB? Arizona?

I'm running out NE vs the Bills if I make the title game. still looking for a week 15 D though. Only decent options in that league for me are Vikes at home vs Bengals, Seahawks at home vs Rams (risky) or Panthers vs GB(if Rodger isn't cleared).I wouldn't want to start the cardinals on the road at washington

42 minutes ago, Emerald12 said:

For the people with byes this week, who are you stashing for week 15 and 16? Chi? Wash? GB? Arizona?

I think the saints are a nice add at home against the jets week 15. Extra rest after the Thursday night game. I imagine they are available in a lot of leagues after a couple of subpar performances

I have Justin Tucker @Pittsburgh this week Keep him or pick up one of the following?

Butker vs. Raiders

Coons vs. Washington

7 hours ago, mverkruyse said:

Currently have Green Bay loaded up for their matchup vs the Browns, anyone else going with them?

Other options are Bills vs Indy, and Cinci vs the Bears.

I had the packers in, but chargers were dropped and I feel like the packers def is a trap, waiver claim was successful for chargers def...

saw something that the packers DBs are hurt, I know it’s the browns but browns will put up points will flash I believe 

11 minutes ago, mjames242 said:

I had the packers in, but chargers were dropped and I feel like the packers def is a trap, waiver claim was successful for chargers def...

saw something that the packers DBs are hurt, I know it’s the browns but browns will put up points will flash I believe 

That's my exact worry--Cleveland has by far given the most points against in my league, but Flash/hurt DBs have me thinking. 

3 hours ago, danoj14 said:

I have Justin Tucker @Pittsburgh this week Keep him or pick up one of the following?

Butker vs. Raiders

Coons vs. Washington

I have Elliott and am considering picking up Bailey instead.  Anyone going with him this week?

On 12/5/2017 at 10:59 AM, jtbgator said:

Kickers tidbits:

Best Kicker Schedules Week 14-16

Phil Dawson (owned in 3.4 percent of ESPN leagues): Blaine Gabbert has made the Cardinals’ offense a fully functional unit — something it was never going to be with Drew Stanton under center — and Dawson reaped the benefits in Week 12, racking up four field goal tries. Dawson faces off against Tennessee in Week 14 (only five teams five up more field goal tries than the Titans and one team allows more schedule adjusted points to kickers), Washington in Week 15 (no one allows more field goal opportunity), and the Giants in Week 16 (eight of 12 kickers have scored at least eight fantasy points against Big Blue, and all but two kickers have multiple field goal tries against them).

Was considering Travis Koons at home this week against Washington, thinking this is even more reason to consider him, especially with how the Chargers offense has been playing as of late.

Edited by CharlesCC2