Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtbgator

2017 Team Defense and Kicker thread

2 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

I added Jacksonville everywhere I could.

That defense is LOADED with talent at all three levels.

On the D-Line they have Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, Yannick Ngakoue (if you don't know him by now, you will soon), and Dante Fowler. 

At LB they have Telvin Smith, Myles Jack, and Paul Posluszny. (And Blair Brown as a backup who I really liked coming out of Ohio).

In the secondary they have Jalen Ramsey, Aj Bouye, Barry Church, and Tashaun Gipson.

Just absolutely stacked.

The only match-up I'd consider sitting them ROS is @PIT in Week 5.

Same. All in on JAGS this year. They're a set and forget every week ... week 5 vs. PITT being the only question mark. What they did to HOU last week was no joke.

1 hour ago, jtbgator said:

Same. All in on JAGS this year. They're a set and forget every week ... week 5 vs. PITT being the only question mark. What they did to HOU last week was no joke.

In a league that does not count PA/YA unless it is a shutout, do you see the Jags as a stellar own?

I mean we really only count sacks, TO and TD's so most defenses are real close and the odds of a DST allowing 0 is so slim, who cares about that

Right now I own PIT, love them in my format but the Jags are a FA

21 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

In a league that does not count PA/YA unless it is a shutout, do you see the Jags as a stellar own?

I mean we really only count sacks, TO and TD's so most defenses are real close and the odds of a DST allowing 0 is so slim, who cares about that

Right now I own PIT, love them in my format but the Jags are a FA

As a Pitt owner, are you concerned about Minn this week? Jags are available in my league, and I'm not sure what to do

15 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

As a Pitt owner, are you concerned about Minn this week? Jags are available in my league, and I'm not sure what to do

Get Jags D now. I dropped Pitt and added Jags this morning. Bonafide D this year. Talent at all levels. ROS schedule is set and forget.

I've been offered the Broncos D/ST straight up for the Jags D/ST. Now, I'm all aboard the Jags hype train but Denver is the safer bet for the rest of the season, right?

2 minutes ago, MPTrey said:

I've been offered the Broncos D/ST straight up for the Jags D/ST. Now, I'm all aboard the Jags hype train but Denver is the safer bet for the rest of the season, right?

Nope after the Pitt game the jags schedule is juicy

Jags D week 1:

I get they played HOU but you cannot ignore the stats.

Total yards allowed: 203

Yards per play: 2.9

Passing yards allowed: 110

Comp-Att: 19/36

Yards per pass: 2.4

INT: 1

SACKS-Yards lost: 10- 54 yards

Rushing yards allowed: 93 (on 23 attempts)

Yards per rush : 4.0

Fumble recoveries: 3

2 defensive TD's

Yes they played HOU I get it, but I can honestly see them as a set and forget ROS. Schedule:

2- vs TEN

3- vs BAL

4- @NYJ

5- @PIT - could stream here

6- vs LAR

7- @IND

8- BYE

9- vs CIN

10- vs LAC

11- @CLE

12- @ARI

13- vs IND

14- vs SEA- could stream here

15- vs HOU

16- @SF

It’s best not to overreact to Week 1 results, but when an entire unit plays to its capabilities, you have to take notice. The Jaguars, under new head coach Doug Marrone and “head coach” executive vice president Tom Coughlin, want to win games by running the ball, avoiding mistakes and a dominating defense. The last part, the defense, was on full display Sunday.

The Jaguars have put an enormous amount of equity into their defense. Since 2015, they’ve drafted Dante Fowler and Jalen Ramsey in the first round and Myles Jack in the second round. They added high-priced free agents like Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Tashaun Gipson and Barry Church. The defense has the potential to be excellent.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/12/16295092/jaguars-vs-texans-upset-win-defense-sacks-how-they-did-it

2 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Jags D week 1:

I get they played HOU but you cannot ignore the stats.

Total yards allowed: 203

Yards per play: 2.9

Passing yards allowed: 110

Comp-Att: 19/36

Yards per pass: 2.4

INT: 1

SACKS-Yards lost: 10- 54 yards

Rushing yards allowed: 93 (on 23 attempts)

Yards per rush : 4.0

Fumble recoveries: 3

2 defensive TD's

Yes they played HOU I get it, but I can honestly see them as a set and forget ROS. Schedule:

2- vs TEN

3- vs BAL

4- @NYJ

5- @PIT - could stream here

6- vs LAR

7- @IND

8- BYE

9- vs CIN

10- vs LAC

11- @CLE

12- @ARI

13- vs IND

14- vs SEA- could stream here

15- vs HOU

16- @SF

It’s best not to overreact to Week 1 results, but when an entire unit plays to its capabilities, you have to take notice. The Jaguars, under new head coach Doug Marrone and “head coach” executive vice president Tom Coughlin, want to win games by running the ball, avoiding mistakes and a dominating defense. The last part, the defense, was on full display Sunday.

The Jaguars have put an enormous amount of equity into their defense. Since 2015, they’ve drafted Dante Fowler and Jalen Ramsey in the first round and Myles Jack in the second round. They added high-priced free agents like Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Tashaun Gipson and Barry Church. The defense has the potential to be excellent.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/12/16295092/jaguars-vs-texans-upset-win-defense-sacks-how-they-did-it

You absolutely play the jags against Sea and their worst O line.  Probably 15 sacks that game

Is it a waste to hold 2 def? I currently have seattle, but I want to pick up Jags since they have a nice schedule. 

Seattle def still elite?

What def would you start over Jags? Houston? Den? Arizona? 

Yeah watching some of the Jags game last night I have to agree with everything said in here.  Calais Campbell is gonna make a HUGE difference on the line and make life easier for the other studs.  This Ngakoue guy supposedly is going to be good.  Aside from being stacked at literally 11 of 11 starting spots, you have to like the idea of the culture and attitude being co pletely transformed with Coughlin and Marrone.  Additionally some of these FAs come from some of the best defensive cultures in the league (Malik Jackson from Denver, Campbell from Arizona, A.J. Bouye from Houston).

Here are a couple of good reads I would skim through if you want more detailed insight and breakdown of how week 1 happened:

https://www.fanragsports.com/jacksonville-jaguars-defense-real/

31 minutes ago, 9ersfan650 said:

Jax over Car ROS?

Umm yes 1000%. CAR schedule is iffy, starting week 3.

NO, NE, DET, PHI, CHI, TB, ATL

ugh

Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey (ankle) is not practicing Wednesday.

Ramsey played all 79 defensive snaps in the Week 1 win over the Texans, so it's unclear when he was hurt. He shut down DeAndre Hopkins, allowing just three catches for 23 yards on six targets. Ramsey's loss would be felt if he can't play against the Titans' suddenly-stacked receiver group.

How do you guys deal with having your starting Defense play against your starting QB? I added Jax this morning, but they're playing against Tenn and Mariota (one of starting guys).

28 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

How do you guys deal with having your starting Defense play against your starting QB? I added Jax this morning, but they're playing against Tenn and Mariota (one of starting guys).

hmm ... I guess it would really depend on your league's DST scoring. I normally don't pay attention but I do struggle with this from time to time. Sacks and TO's are the most value and if Mariota gets sacked 5 times and throws 2 picks and fumbles once, you negate your defensive points with Mariota going backwards. Tough call bro.

20 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

hmm ... I guess it would really depend on your league's DST scoring. I normally don't pay attention but I do struggle with this from time to time. Sacks and TO's are the most value and if Mariota gets sacked 5 times and throws 2 picks and fumbles once, you negate your defensive points with Mariota going backwards. Tough call bro.

Yea, I normally try to stay away from those situations, cause it's almost impossible to maximize your point production. If Mariota does well, then Jax D loses me points.

I guess my only option would be to start Cutler.....

1 minute ago, squidthunder said:

Yea, I normally try to stay away from those situations, cause it's almost impossible to maximize your point production. If Mariota does well, then Jax D loses me points.

I guess my only option would be to start Cutler.....

Or add another D?

1 hour ago, squidthunder said:

Points are points.  I get it, you want Mariota to throw 5 TDs, which means 35 points scored against your D, which means negative points there.  Other things can still happen, he could thrown an INT returned for a TD, etc.  In the end, you play the people you think will perform the best.  Adding another defense would certainly be an option.  Or if you're not wedded to Jax, then toss them for somebody else.

6 minutes ago, CooL said:

Points are points.  I get it, you want Mariota to throw 5 TDs, which means 35 points scored against your D, which means negative points there.  Other things can still happen, he could thrown an INT returned for a TD, etc.  In the end, you play the people you think will perform the best.  Adding another defense would certainly be an option.  Or if you're not wedded to Jax, then toss them for somebody else.

Thanks - I made the plunge on Jax, and I'm going to stick with them for their schedule.

I kinda don't have options for another drop, so I guess I'll just play it out

I like Cincy a fair bit tomorrow - TNF tends to favor the defense, 10% of HOU's roster will be out due to concussions, and Watson is a rookie QB who also happens to be hurt. Plus maybe Cincy looks to rebound after being destroyed by BAL last week.