phatrat

2017 FAAB Waiver Wire Thread

$100 for the season.

Want to take a shot at Cohen, Kupp, and Golladay.

Don't have to get them all, but 1 would be nice, team on left in sig.  Thoughts on how much to bid on each?

It seems Cohen is the big question in this thread and most of us are trying to gauge his value.  I'm in a 1 pt ppr with 100 FAAB like a lot of you.  I just put a bid in on Cohen for $23.  I think that is enough to outbid most others while at the same time leaving me plenty of FAABs for the rest of the season.  I would NOT blow 50% of my FAABs on this guy like others are suggesting.  I think 20-25% is the right range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dre said:

It seems Cohen is the big question in this thread and most of us are trying to gauge his value.  I'm in a 1 pt ppr with 100 FAAB like a lot of you.  I just put a bid in on Cohen for $23.  I think that is enough to outbid most others while at the same time leaving me plenty of FAABs for the rest of the season.  I would NOT blow 50% of my FAABs on this guy like others are suggesting.  I think 20-25% is the right range.

Someone will overpay but I personally wouldn't do more than 22%. Howard is still there and will be rbbc. 

I'd say 20%  on Cohen.

its not about starting, it's about his skill and touches. He is awesomely and no way they are going to limit him especially since White is now out for the year. 

In hindsight you don't want to be the guy who only bid 10% on an RB that might catch 50-60 balls in part time duty

1 hour ago, dre said:

I would NOT blow 50% of my FAABs on this guy like others are suggesting.  I think 20-25% is the right range.

You will NOT win him then... Guy looks like PPR gold. 

Do a little thought experiment to help you determine what he might go for...

Most hyped pickup of the week? Yup.

Electric performance to back up the hype? Yup.

Teammates and coaches heaping praise, saying this is just the start? Yup.

Kid looks like a weekly flex start at WORST.  Could be a PPR RB1. 

Scared money don't make money.

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trifecta said:

You will NOT win him then... Guy looks like PPR gold. 

Scared money don't make money.

And that's fine with me.  It is a long season and I don't feel comfortable spending 50% of my FAAB on a rookie who has played 1 game and is a COP back.  You might call it "scared money", but I call it pacing myself.

2 minutes ago, dre said:

And that's fine with me.  It is a long season and I don't feel comfortable spending 50% of my FAAB on a rookie who has played 1 game and is a COP back.  You might call it "scared money", but I call it pacing myself.

Everyone has their own tolerance for risk.  Just setting some realistic expectations for those looking for a realistic answer.

If you guys simply create an echo chamber that 20-25% is the price to land him and you all pat yourselves on the back for that answer, you are simply creating a false narrative that helps no one here actually land him.

If I was in a full ppr FAAB, I'd be willing to go 50%. And because I'd be expecting others to bid around the same, I'd probably go 51 or 52%. 

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cjh1991 said:

$100 for the season.

Want to take a shot at Cohen, Kupp, and Golladay.

Don't have to get them all, but 1 would be nice, team on left in sig.  Thoughts on how much to bid on each?

It's a ppr league... Cohen got 12 targets. So to reiterate the thinking I applied above, I'm breaking out the big bucks for Cohen in this format.  Around 50%. 

I'd go about 15% for Golladay. That is a clear reflection of the scarcity of the RB position. I predict Cohen will provide much higher value over replacement from the RB position than Golladay will from the WR position, so I'm not willing to open the wallet up as much.  Lions have plenty of weapons too so I'm not getting too crazy on Golladay.  It is also a reflection of your team needs. Any team with Odell and Julio (how, just how?) doesn't need the WR help.

Kupp I'd go 12%.

However, given your situation, the only one I'd really be gunning heavily for would be Cohen.

5 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Everyone has their own tolerance for risk.  Just setting some realistic expectations for those looking for a realistic answer.

If you guys simply create an echo chamber that 20-25% is the price to land him and you all pat yourselves on the back for that answer, you are simply creating a false narrative that helps no one here actually land him.

If I was in a full ppr FAAB, I'd be willing to go 50%. And because I'd be expecting others to bid around the same, I'd probably go 51 or 52%. 

I completely get where you are coming from.  But there is no way to be certain that even going 51 or 52% is enough to land him.  It is entirely league dependent.  What if people are willing to go up to 60%?  If so, your 50% isn't setting a realistic expectation either is it?  

I'm not trying to convince others to only bid 20 - 25%.  I'm not even suggesting that if someone bids 20 - 25% that they will land Cohen.  I'm giving my opinion and letting people know where I'm comfortable.  Hopefully, others do the same.  We can then gauge what the "optimal" range might be to land Cohen.  But to suggest that your range is anymore realistic than mine simply isn't true.

2 hours ago, dre said:

I'm with you.  I'm dropping 26-31% myself.

I'm willing to bet that the high bid against me will be 25%.  I really want to win this, but don't want to cripple myself moving forward.  

Buck Allen would be a decent fall back option.

I've generally found in my league people tend to me more conservative in the beginning.  I generally try to think what the highest bid is going to be and I put $1-2 random dollars over it.

If this was week 6-8 I'd bet he'd go for 50-60% or better, but I've been tracking my league for 3 years and the first 2 weeks everyone is generally tentative.  We will see if this holds true to start year 4.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 2

FYI - if any of you are on Yahoo, there is a tab on the desktop version called "FAAB Bids".

You click on that it will tell you every FAAB Bid that had a competing bid on it.  I've been tracking it for 3 years to get a feel for my league.

It will only show you the bids that were competing.

EX:  1 person bids $1.00 on a kicker - it will NOT show up

EX:  6 people bid on Tarik Cohen - It will show all 6 bids and the values bid of everyone that bid.

Every league has different people and therefore bid different amounts, but it's a tool that I've found to be useful for minimizing money I've spent while maximizing my wins.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dre said:

I completely get where you are coming from.  But there is no way to be certain that even going 51 or 52% is enough to land him.  It is entirely league dependent.  What if people are willing to go up to 60%?  If so, your 50% isn't setting a realistic expectation either is it?  

I'm not trying to convince others to only bid 20 - 25%.  I'm not even suggesting that if someone bids 20 - 25% that they will land Cohen.  I'm giving my opinion and letting people know where I'm comfortable.  Hopefully, others do the same.  We can then gauge what the "optimal" range might be to land Cohen.  But to suggest that your range is anymore realistic than mine simply isn't true.

You're right, the only way to be ABSOLUTELY sure to get him is to bid 100%.  Could happen in some leagues out there, who knows.

There is no right answer... but I can say with a fair degree of confidence that in a full PPR people will be opening up the wallets wide. And therefore, if I really wanted him, I'd be more aggressive than usual. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

You're right, the only way to be ABSOLUTELY sure to get him is to bid 100%.  Could happen in some leagues out there, who knows.

There is no right answer... but I can say with a fair degree of confidence that in a full PPR people will be opening up the wallets wide. And therefore, if I really wanted him, I'd be more aggressive than usual. 

I agree with you in PPR. I was planning on going 25% but now I'm planning on going higher because he looks like a lot of fun to own. I'm going atleast 50% but maybe more between now and then. 

Here is what NFL.com said

If you missed Tarik "The Human Joystick" Cohen's NFL debut on Sunday, do yourself a favor and watch the highlights above. Cohen took his five carries for 66 yards and caught eight of his team-leading 12 targets for 47 yards and a touchdown. We wondered in the preseason if Cohen would eat into Jordan Howard's passing game work, but it appears this could be more of a full-fledged committee after Cohen played on 43 percent of the plays to Howard's 56. Cohen needs to be one of the priority adds this week as there's no way the Bears stop using him after that display. (Percent owned: 1.0, FAAB suggestion: 35 percent)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Crazy thing about bidding 100% after week 1 is that everyone has the same amount of FAAB, so what if someone other person bid 100% as well.  Then it comes down to waiver wire priority and you still might not get him. lol

• Like 1

if you have a good team with good depth do you spend early and corner the market and try and trade up? cohen wouldnt see the field much on my team (hyde, cja, cmc, demarco/henry) ppr

or wait for someone good/inj to get dropped

I'll be spending 50% of my FAAB on Cohen, and be fine with that. Half of my biggest pickups over the years have been FA anyways, jumping onboard the train the week before the hype comes out 

I'm considering going high on Cohen, then if I get him looking to trade immediately with the other guys who bid.

I just had a quick look at Jerick McKinnon last year. $42 got him. Next bids were $36, $30, $21, $20, $17, $15. If you can, I reckon it would be worth seeing hat happened for McKinnon last year as something of a guide. Not that I think Cohen is of comparable value necessarily, just that that might give you an idea where people's heads are going to be at.

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

if you have a good team with good depth do you spend early and corner the market and try and trade up? cohen wouldnt see the field much on my team (hyde, cja, cmc, demarco/henry) ppr

or wait for someone good/inj to get dropped

I personally always try to improve whenever possible.  My auction league is a redraft league and trading is a heckofa lot harder to pull off than my keeper, but generally close to the deadline I can package together some depth for more top tier talent to fringe playoff teams that need help surviving the BYEs and making their final playoff push.

13 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I'm considering going high on Cohen, then if I get him looking to trade immediately with the other guys who bid.

I just had a quick look at Jerick McKinnon last year. $42 got him. Next bids were $36, $30, $21, $20, $17, $15. If you can, I reckon it would be worth seeing hat happened for McKinnon last year as something of a guide. Not that I think Cohen is of comparable value necessarily, just that that might give you an idea where people's heads are going to be at.

The only difference is that we've seen McKinnon suck before.  That was just people trying to convince themselves that doing the same exact actions and expecting different results that they weren't crazy.

We haven't seen Cohen be a bum, and I don't think we can expect this week 1 performance every week.  But I believe we can expect serviceable PPR play moving forward.

If you can flip him for established talent though more power to you.  You didn't have it before Wednesday and if you get it after then go for it.

It's a good point, I very well could see myself trading him if the hype is at a fever pitch. I could also see myself trading for him if i dont win him (i have the #2 waiver). It's hard to make any blanket statements about him on one game. But id rather have him than not while we see what he is.

In my FAAB keeper league, I was smart (lucky) enough to have added him last week so I wont have to unload anything this week. Which is good because i blew 33% on Terrence West before week one games (he was inexplicably dropped). 

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

It's a good point, I very well could see myself trading him if the hype is at a fever pitch. I could also see myself trading for him if i dont win him (i have the #2 waiver). It's hard to make any blanket statements about him on one game. But id rather have him than not while we see what he is.

In my FAAB keeper league, I was smart (lucky) enough to have added him last week so I wont have to unload anything this week. Which is good because i blew 33% on Terrence West before week one games (he was inexplicably dropped). 

I'm all in on Buck Allen so I'll be rooting against you lol.  Good luck though

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm all in on Buck Allen so I'll be rooting against you lol.  Good luck though

All in as in what %? Im thinking of handcuffing