Didgital

Prospects to grab for next year?

12 hours ago, Didgital said:

Great input from everyone, thanks for all the takes. If you're out of the race, it's nice to take some low risk high reward fliers at the end of the year if your format allows it. I'm holding Acuna, Torres & Elroy hoping one of two of them break camp w the bigs next year.

thoughts on Whitley & Mejia?

Whitley wouldn't be up soon.  Mid-season if he is really pushed though his talent may force the pitching and/or Houston's needs.  Walker Buehler could well come up early for the Dodgers and if I had to pick one pitching prospect to own for the year 2018 (aka a re-draft league) I'd take him even though I'm in love with Whitley too.

Mejia is the best catching prospect in the game and should be up next year.  Finding good value at the catching position is golden in my book.  Can't tell you how my dynasty teams have benefited from having either Gary Sanchez or Willson Contretras on them (and in one case, both on the same team).  So if your league is dynasty or even just a keeper league I'd say Mejia may well be worth a spot.  Monitor in the spring in re-draft leagues to see if Meija will be called up in the first month.

And I don't see any really TOP prospect breaking camp with a major league team ever again with the ability to extend control over a player for an extra full year just by waiting a week or two.  And rebuilding teams are likely to wait it out until Super 2 in June for the extra year before arbitration cuts in as well.

PS:  Don't see Eloy coming up this year.  Isn't he still back in A ball somewhere?  But if you need an infielder instead, check out Kingery.  He could be up in the first month and may be one of the best if not the best middle infield hitter arriving in 2018.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, tucker26 said:

When is the last time anyone broke camp with the big club? Serious question, I don’t think it happens anymore but could be mistaken.  

That Judge guy...

2 hours ago, joboo said:

That Judge guy...

Judge was a September Callup in 2016. Him tasting camp wasn't his first taste of big league experience.

2 hours ago, Maxcd99 said:

Judge was a September Callup in 2016. Him tasting camp wasn't his first taste of big league experience.

He also want never was ranked in that top tier that I recall. 

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

PS:  Don't see Eloy coming up this year.  Isn't he still back in A ball somewhere?  But if you need an infielder instead, check out Kingery.  He could be up in the first month and may be one of the best if not the best middle infield hitter arriving in 2018.

He's at AA now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joboo said:

who would you say has the highest possible ceilings? the absolute moon shots. 

From a fantasy POV the highest ceiling guys IMO are...

Bats: Acuna (by far #1 in my mind), Senzel, Calhoun, Torres, Kingery, Rodgers (note 3 of the highest ceiling guys outside of Acuna probably won't be up next year: Jimenez, Bichette, Vlad Jr...2019 is gonna be a fun year)

Arms: Honeywell, Buehler, Kopech. (note if we're talking ceiling/proximity to the majors and you ignore his previous brief stint in the majors I'd put Glasnow on here as well)

• Like 1

The Indians' handling of Mejia confuses me a bit.  He's 21 and obviously has no issues with AA pitching, but yet they still refuse to promote him to AAA even though catching is one of their biggest weaknesses.  I would have thought he could have been a September call-up this year and a chance to start the season next year, but I don't exactly see them bringing him up from AAA.  I would have considered stashing him even though I already have Gary Sanchez.

17 hours ago, tucker26 said:

He also want never was ranked in that top tier that I recall. 

He was a solidly in the back half of many top 100 lists during his minor league career, but that's besides the point of prospects not breaking camp in order for the club to preserve service time.

If they were a September callup like Judge was then there's no point in keeping them in the minors in March if they are good enough. If they're not a September callup but good enough for the big club, they'll be called up two weeks in the season like Bryant and Bellinger were instead of directly after spring training.

• Like 1

Rarely do rookie pitchers make an impact,most have growing pains that cost you early,bad ERA and WHIP the guys i'm looking at for next year are Acuna and Kingery i would mention Tucker and Meadows but they are blocked right now. I can't remember the last time a top ranked pitcher made an impact as a rookie,maybe Thor?. I usually wait on pitchers you can usually get good ones later on

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Rarely do rookie pitchers make an impact,most have growing pains that cost you early,bad ERA and WHIP the guys i'm looking at for next year are Acuna and Kingery i would mention Tucker and Meadows but they are blocked right now. I can't remember the last time a top ranked pitcher made an impact as a rookie,maybe Thor?. I usually wait on pitchers you can usually get good ones later on

fulmer and matz were both rookies in 2016 and did pretty well.

combined: 291 IP, 3.23 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 261 K,  20 Wins

edit: kenta maeda wasn't bad either as a rookie in 2016.

Edited by osb_tensor

18 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

The Indians' handling of Mejia confuses me a bit.  He's 21 and obviously has no issues with AA pitching, but yet they still refuse to promote him to AAA even though catching is one of their biggest weaknesses.  I would have thought he could have been a September call-up this year and a chance to start the season next year, but I don't exactly see them bringing him up from AAA.  I would have considered stashing him even though I already have Gary Sanchez.

Totally get what youre saying...in a whole, there's really no weakness in his hit tool. But he's still only 21, which is super young for a developing catcher, and if the Indians are serious about keeping him as a catcher, then taking their time with him will be better in the long run. Mejia possibly has the best arm among catchers in the minors, and it night not be close. But he has struggled being able to have all  tools consistently working together, which MLB catchers need to have.

And I know I didnt articulate that well, so I'm gonna try and explain better. Last year his pitch framing and game calling took a huge step forward (and his gun of an arm has never been in question, as he gunned out runners at a great rate) but he was lacking in his ability to block balls and he's been slow to getting up off his feet. I know that doesn't sound like much but it could end up disastrous in the majors. This season he has improved greatly in all aspects, but he still needs to learn how to consistently manage a rotation for a good period of time. Keeping him in double A gives him that consistency. There is no need to rush  a potential future all star elite catcher like Mejia. You'll see him up next year at some point, but he won't be an everyday catcher from day 1 when he arrives. He'll have to be eased in as a part time catcher and by 2019, he should take over full time....

And usually when a young catcher first comes up, their offense could end up being the last thing that clicks for them since it takes such a toll and almost all your focus to learn the staff, build chemistry with your pitchers, learn their pitches and movement on their pitches, start memorizing opposing teams hitters and runners and their abilities, learn the different umpires strike zones and on and on...it's not easy becoming a legit defensive/offensive oriented catcher In the majors...

But I do agree, I would deff have given Mejia a shot this year at AAA, but most scouts will tell you that AA is actually more challenging then AAA...

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Agreed. Usually get quicker results from hitters than pitchers. At best maybe you get two pitching rookies have a meaningful impact on a season, while you can have a handful or more rookie hitters do well. 

Honeywell is super polished. I think he'll be a top-30 level starter right away.

If Calhoun gets a starting gig, he's a redraft target too. Dude can flat out rake, and I don't expect him to struggle. 

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned Gleyber Torres. Of course it'll depend on his recovery from TJ, Yankee off-season trades/acquisitions, and what he does in ST, but he has a chance to open the season as a starting infielder for one of the best offensive lineups in baseball.

• Like 2

Harrison Bader of the Cardinals is super young and has already had a taste of big league action, meaning the Cards like him a lot. If he takes a step forward he will cost you nothing and could post double digit homers and steals and a good amount of doubles

3 hours ago, BayofPuigs said:

Harrison Bader of the Cardinals is super young and has already had a taste of big league action, meaning the Cards like him a lot. If he takes a step forward he will cost you nothing and could post double digit homers and steals and a good amount of doubles

Too many outfielders in front of him and Tyler Oneill could be another. Grichuk, Pham, Fowler, and Ozuna. He's extremely blocked and not enough upside unless you're in a pretty deep league.   I do like him, but he needs a trade. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phizzics said:

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned Gleyber Torres. Of course it'll depend on his recovery from TJ, Yankee off-season trades/acquisitions, and what he does in ST, but he has a chance to open the season as a starting infielder for one of the best offensive lineups in baseball.

Maybe not in this thread, but I doubt Gleyber Torres is being forgotten about in any league where prospects are valuable.  I expect him to start in the majors. 

Stephen Gonsalves Twin's added him to the 40 man and he has a chance to win a rotation spot out of spring training. Solid numbers in the minors. Probably a #3 type with upside to be a #2.

Last guy I can remember that was a top spect that broke camp without any MLB experience was Jose Fernandez. Finished the previous year at high A and broke camp as part of the Marlins rotation....the rest is history. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 10:59 AM, azeri98 said:

Yes it is rare but then along comes a deGrom.  And Michael Fulmer was really really good two seasons ago and Luis Castillo was this past season.  And even Brandon Woodruff had a pretty decent season too until his last game where he blew up so badly he pushed up his ERA by over a full point.  Until then he had been really solid.

And in a dynasty format you have to chase pitching more than in a redraft.  If you don't get them in a deep dynasty early you basically never get them at all so you ride the rookie ups and downs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I get a real deGrom vibe from Corbin Burnes...

He is very high on my list, can't wait until ESPN adds him to the player pool