Sign in to follow this  
gopherman23

Brent Rooker - OF/1B MIN

Rooker was Minnesota's competitive balance pick this year. Thought I'd get a thread started on him since he is mashing so far in his young pro career. He was doing so well in rookie ball they just had him skip A ball altogether and put him at A+. So far, between the two levels he has 16 dingers in only 57 games while batting a respectable .278 with a .925 OPS. He is averaging a SO per game, so you would like to see him cut that down a bit going forward, but hard to complain about him so far. He is a guy to keep an eye on, since he could move pretty fast through the Twins system. 

• Like 1

Just looking at his numbers so far, wow. Would pick him him up if I were allowed to (2017 draftee). His season started in late June and he already has 17 HR. What?

• Like 1

Considering the #1 question about him was would his power play with wood bats, I think he's unequivocally answered that question. Remember though, he's a month away from being 23 year old. Still, very happy to be a Rooker owner.

905c4bba8e37a16ce852629db4b6f77d.jpg

I like his potential. Can't tell if he's a more powerful Stephen Piscotty, or a poor man's Kris Bryant. Or a dude who flames out. Nice looking swing though. 

I think if all goes well he can give you a Dan Uggla line. 250/.335/.500 type of guy with 30 bomb potential.

• Like 2

A bit concerned about his start in AA so far - 22 K's to 0 BB's in 63 AB's, hitting .238 with a paltry .599 OPS.

14 hours ago, Dark One said:

A bit concerned about his start in AA so far - 22 K's to 0 BB's in 63 AB's, hitting .238 with a paltry .599 OPS.

I've noticed this too. I'm a bit surprised, thought he was a skilled/advanced/heady enough player to not appear so overmatched.

I'm keeping the faith though. I think there's a lot of (overlooked) talent here. 

Guys who walk 10% of the time don't just suddenly stop walking entirely. I'd say fairly confidently that he's working on something fairly major with his swing or his approach. I don't have the information to back that up right now, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:23 PM, Dark One said:

Rooker has rebounded nicely from the slow start.  In the last 114 abs, he has 32 strikeouts and 9 walks (not great but better) .  Up to 254/295/725 with 7 homers and 26 RBIs.   

• Thanks 2

Up to 270/327/800.  On April 25th he was at 211/222/532.  According to my calculations, since April 25th Rooker is 298/417/967. 

I feel like everyone wrote Rooker off after the slow start.  He may not be hitting the eye popping number of homers like last year, but he is pretty impressive for a 2017 draft pick in AA.