Sign in to follow this  
dogfightgiggle

DJ Foster 2017 Season Outlook

Hybrid type RB/WR way down the Pats depth chart.  Got a little action last year.  Anybody think he makes the active roster now?  

Edited by dogfightgiggle

I thought he was going to be able to get in the rotation a bit more last year. I don't see it happening this year. There's too much competition. 

Love his receiving ability though. It's all about opportunity at this point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/08/27/picking-patriots-man-roster-just-got-more-difficult-here-our-projection/39npNxoFsgLMckaxUflDcJ/amp.html?espv=1

"Foster, the second-year player out of Arizona State, would be our in-house choice to replace Edelman. He’s a jack-of-all-trades who can line up all over the formation as a receiver or running back. The Patriots kept him on the roster all of last season, and clearly like him, even though he was a healthy scratch for 13 games. They gave Foster a ton of work against the Lions, and his versatility on offense, plus his skills as a kick returner, give him the nod over the Patriots’ other options.

Foster, Lewis, and White all are good pass-catchers and have experience in the Patriots’ offense lining up as a slot receiver."

8 minutes ago, dogfightgiggle said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/08/27/picking-patriots-man-roster-just-got-more-difficult-here-our-projection/39npNxoFsgLMckaxUflDcJ/amp.html?espv=1

"Foster, the second-year player out of Arizona State, would be our in-house choice to replace Edelman. He’s a jack-of-all-trades who can line up all over the formation as a receiver or running back. The Patriots kept him on the roster all of last season, and clearly like him, even though he was a healthy scratch for 13 games. They gave Foster a ton of work against the Lions, and his versatility on offense, plus his skills as a kick returner, give him the nod over the Patriots’ other options.

Foster, Lewis, and White all are good pass-catchers and have experience in the Patriots’ offense lining up as a slot receiver."

I want to believe

Why would the Boston Globe be the only one picking up on the Pats replacing Edelman with DJ Foster?  Doesn't pass the smell test.

12 minutes ago, Robrain said:

Why would the Boston Globe be the only one picking up on the Pats replacing Edelman with DJ Foster?  Doesn't pass the smell test.

Its just a call they're making, don't think they heard anything.  If DJ makes the final 53 over Carr I think he's worth grabbing because he ain't going to be playing RB.

Just now, dogfightgiggle said:

Its just a call they're making, don't think they heard anything.  If DJ makes the final 53 over Carr I think he's worth grabbing because he ain't going to be playing RB.

Or he ain't gonna be playing at all, like Bolden.

20 minutes ago, Robrain said:

And why are they picking the deepest sleeper to do so?

I think carr could beast...but they got Danny hogan Mitchell someone else...they don't need him....so why force something? 

Article from Aug. 20:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/8/20/16169578/sunday-nfl-thoughts-who-is-currently-winning-all-the-patriots-roster-battles

"3. WR Austin Carr deserves a lot of credit for what he’s done, but he hasn’t accomplished enough to be a threat for a roster spot. He had 31 yards against the Texans after picking up 44 yards and a touchdown against the Jaguars. He’s been solid, but players need to be transcendent against the preseason back-ups in order to win a roster spot.

I’m talking about D.J. Foster level transcendent, where it looks like a professional lining up against college players. Carr has incredible body control and strong hands, but he lacks the quickness of Patriots slot players like Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola. He needs to work on his suddenness if he’s going to make the roster."

13 hours ago, clarkevii said:

Hmmm... possible dual eligibility like Ty Montgomery last year?

he had dual last year but only rb this year ( on yahoo )

2 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Article from Aug. 20:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/8/20/16169578/sunday-nfl-thoughts-who-is-currently-winning-all-the-patriots-roster-battles

"3. WR Austin Carr deserves a lot of credit for what he’s done, but he hasn’t accomplished enough to be a threat for a roster spot. He had 31 yards against the Texans after picking up 44 yards and a touchdown against the Jaguars. He’s been solid, but players need to be transcendent against the preseason back-ups in order to win a roster spot.

I’m talking about D.J. Foster level transcendent, where it looks like a professional lining up against college players. Carr has incredible body control and strong hands, but he lacks the quickness of Patriots slot players like Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola. He needs to work on his suddenness if he’s going to make the roster."

Sorry, I don't put a lot of stock in an SBNation fanblog.

He's their most interesting back imo. I have zero faith in journeyman Kerwyn Williams and Ellington hasn't proved to be much more than a change of pace back.  Could all be for nothing no matter which way you go as the Cardinals look awful. 

I was hoping to see AZ swing a trade for Dion Lewis (or maybe Jeremy Hill to clear out that RBBC), but now I hope Foster actually gets a shot to play - since I think he could put up interesting points in PPR. 

I don't think I could stomach watching the Cards give the keys to Chris Johnson to go 14/41 each game. Assuming they sign CJ of course. 

Edited by coper3000

6 minutes ago, coper3000 said:

I was hoping to see AZ swing a trade for Dion Lewis (or maybe Jeremy Hill to clear out that RBBC), but now I hope Foster actually gets a shot to play - since I think he could put up interesting points in PPR. 

I don't think I could stomach watching the Cards give the keys to Chris Johnson to go 14/41 each game. Assuming they sign CJ of course. 

I think that's what you can pretty much expect out of Kerwyn. 

9 minutes ago, pittsports87 said:

Replacing DJ with DJ's foster child?  Interesting strategy from the Cardinals.

Y9g5g.gif