Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axe Elf

Axe Elf's 2017 Leagues, Teams and Players

Might as well start one of these for this year, since people keep axing to see my teams.  I'll present some of my best here, but they're not really here for you to evaluate, they're only here for you to admire.  Think of this as a fantasy football museum, and my teams as works of art.  They are not to be taken apart and broken down, they are to be appreciated as a whole.  Please stay behind the red velvet ropes at all times.

So I did this $100 Yahoo Pro League at 3:00am local time tonight (10 team standard scoring auction draft, normal 2RB/3WR lineups with no flex), and ended up with $14 left over--the most in the league!  I'd be embarrassed, but I'm not sure where I would have even spent it.  I guess I could have maybe gone for a bigger stud at WR, like Jordy, or McCoy at RB, but I didn't know at the beginning of the draft that I was going to score the lot of Jameis Winston, Doug Martin, Terrance West, Darren McFadden, Larry Fitzgerald, Pierre Garcon, Donte Moncrief, Zach Ertz and Jack Doyle for a grand total of $45.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible.  So just pretend I spent $1 more on each of them, and then I only would have had $5 left over.

QB:  Jameis Winston (11) $6

RB:  Jay Ajayi (11) $45, Ezekiel Elliott (6) $35, Doug Martin (11) $11, Darren McFadden (6) $5, Terrance West (10) $2

WR:  Michael Thomas (5) $41, Allen Robinson (8) $17, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $12, Pierre Garcon (11) $2, Donte Moncrief (11) $1

TE:  Zach Ertz (10) $3, Jack Doyle (11) $3

K:  Adam Vinatieri (11) $1

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $2

Remaining:  $14

Sometimes this game is just too easy.

Looks good, the running backs match up well with each other.  Garcon and Moncrief are nice values where you got them and you didn't reach for anyone overpriced.  Ertz/Doyle is... passable but certainly the weak spot.

Wow, pro league huh?  Seems like you did pretty damn good.

24 minutes ago, Mad_Jens said:

Looks good, the running backs match up well with each other.  Garcon and Moncrief are nice values where you got them and you didn't reach for anyone overpriced.  Ertz/Doyle is... passable but certainly the weak spot.

Oh come on...  Ertz/Doyle is "passable"?  Ertz was tied with Kyle Rudolph for 3rd among TEs in PPR points per game last year (behind Kelce and Reed), although he missed two games.  His QB is no longer a rookie.  Doyle will probly also be a top 5 TE, as he and Allen accounted for 94 receptions, 990 yards and 11 TDs last year (and Allen is gone now).

Getting them both for $6 was a major coup.

Zeke for $35 was a good steal as well as Martin imo. I do like only rostering 1 QB in a 10 team league as there are many others that would have at least 2. 

Seems like the idea for you was to get players late and fill out the roster with depth but they came soooo cheap. The only thing I possibly see is having ARob there as WR2 in a standard league. Overall, pretty good

7 hours ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Zeke for $35 was a good steal as well as Martin imo. I do like only rostering 1 QB in a 10 team league as there are many others that would have at least 2. 

Seems like the idea for you was to get players late and fill out the roster with depth but they came soooo cheap. The only thing I possibly see is having ARob there as WR2 in a standard league. Overall, pretty good

I'm not sure if you were really saying you DO like rostering only 1 QB, or if you meant you DON'T like it--because the rest of the sentence sounds like you think I'm losing something to the field.  But really, unless Winston gets hurt or completely faceplants, I don't really need another QB until his Week 11 bye, and even the teams who have rostered 2 QBs will start dropping one when they need to cover byes and such.  The waiver wire is deep in a 10 team league, and last year's #8 QB (Tyrod Taylor) currently leads the list of undrafted QBs.  Other potential fill-ins available are Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Brian Hoyer and Sam Bradford.  If I was going to roster a QB2 at the draft, it would have probly been one of those anyway, so I'll just let them sit there on waivers until I need one of them.

Actually the idea going in was to try to fill my lineup with studs and who cares who is on my bench, but when the bargains started coming, I ended up with more depth than I thought I would have.  I was prepared to have Robby Anderson and Corey Davis on my bench for a couple of bucks each, not Pierre Garcon and Donte Moncrief--but I'll take it.

You trash 10 man leagues saying there too small all the time and the only team you post is from a 10 man league?  Get outta here

28 minutes ago, mwalshy94 said:

You trash 10 man leagues saying there too small all the time and the only team you post is from a 10 man league?  Get outta here

You must have me confused with someone else.  I play in dozens of Yahoo Pro Leagues every year, and they're all 10 man leagues.  The size of a league is nothing to bash, it just has a bearing on what kinds of strategies to employ.

32 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

have you thought out what excuses you are gonna use after you struggle in your 80+ leagues like you did last year??

Of course not.  If, for some reason, I struggle for a second time in 24 years, the reasons for that have yet to become manifest.

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

have you thought out what excuses you are gonna use after you struggle in your 80+ leagues like you did last year??

He will just disappear like last year.

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

I'm not sure if you were really saying you DO like rostering only 1 QB, or if you meant you DON'T like it--because the rest of the sentence sounds like you think I'm losing something to the field.  But really, unless Winston gets hurt or completely faceplants, I don't really need another QB until his Week 11 bye, and even the teams who have rostered 2 QBs will start dropping one when they need to cover byes and such.  The waiver wire is deep in a 10 team league, and last year's #8 QB (Tyrod Taylor) currently leads the list of undrafted QBs.  Other potential fill-ins available are Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Brian Hoyer and Sam Bradford.  If I was going to roster a QB2 at the draft, it would have probly been one of those anyway, so I'll just let them sit there on waivers until I need one of them.

Actually the idea going in was to try to fill my lineup with studs and who cares who is on my bench, but when the bargains started coming, I ended up with more depth than I thought I would have.  I was prepared to have Robby Anderson and Corey Davis on my bench for a couple of bucks each, not Pierre Garcon and Donte Moncrief--but I'll take it.

I like the idea of only rostering 1 QB in a 10 teamer. My "most others" comment is a bit sarcastic. 70% of the ff world would think 2 QB is a must in any league size and I disagree. 

47 minutes ago, rotomonster3 said:

Nothing pro about having $14 dollars left over in an auction

I didn't, really--I just got insanely good prices on my targets.  I would have used all the money in any other draft and had the same players or worse, so I'm not too concerned about it.  Like I said, where else would I even have spent it?  What players could I have purchased that would have improved my team?  Jordy over Michael Thomas, MAYBE, but its such an incremental improvement as to be irrelevant.  McCoy over Ajayi?  Again, maybe--but I actually kind of prefer Ajayi at this point.  There are no WRs I could have bought for $14 more than Robinson or Fitzgerald that I would have liked any better (guys like Baldwin and Cooks had price tags well into the $30s).  I could spend $16 on a WR like Terrelle Pryor, but I'm not sure he's any better than Pierre Garcon.  Moncrief is a monster in standard scoring; what other end-of-the-bench WR would be better for $15?

I absolutely LOVE all my RBs; coulda spent more on a guy like Ameer Abdullah instead of West, but Abdullah competes with Zenner at the goalline; West is the goalline back for his team--so I wouldn't change these guys anyway.  I have my two favorite targets at TE, and a solid D and K.  I guess I could have spent $20 to get a better QB, but Rodgers and Brady went over $20, so they would be out of my range ($14 + $6 spent on Winston).  I MIGHT have had a shot at Brees, as he went under $20, but there's no guarantee that the guy who bought him wouldn't have outbid me a couple more times if I had tried to get him--and I kind of like Winston this year anyway.

So if I get the best players, I'm not all that hung up on spending the most possible for them--in fact, I kind of get a thrill from getting them UNDER market value.

Jordy has been overall WR1/2 in the last 3 of 4 seasons. He also has 28 TDs in his last 32 games. He is A LOT better than M. Thomas

Well not terrible but your WR's will likely be what derails your season. Work that wire man, not too late to right the wrong of some poor draft choices.

Not sure why anyone is hung up on the fact that you had $14 left other than the fact that people seem to like to hate you.

As for my own evaluation, I don't care about the $14 because this is an amazing team. I have no gripes other than week 11 will be a little interesting bye wise, but you shouldn't draft based on byes anyway so who cares.

Great draft.

6 minutes ago, DonaldsDucks said:

Not sure why anyone is hung up on the fact that you had $14 left other than the fact that people seem to like to hate you.

I'd agree, the values on the back half of an auction draft are so good money stops being a factor at a certain point.  You just take who you want.  

Not as flashy perhaps but rosters like that are built for a full season of production.  

4 hours ago, rotomonster3 said:

Jordy has been overall WR1/2 in the last 3 of 4 seasons. He also has 28 TDs in his last 32 games. He is A LOT better than M. Thomas

Well, that's not exactly accurate.

2013:  Jordy was WR11.

2014:  Jordy was WR3.

2015:  Jordy tore his ACL.

2016:  Jordy was WR2.

So Jordy has been an overall WR1/2 in 1 of the last 1 seasons--but also 1 of the last 4 seasons--not 3 of the last 4.  He also has 27 TDs (not 28) in his last 32 games, if you skip over the year he sat out--and of course last year Cobb kinda disappeared for most of the season too.

Michael Thomas was WR9 in his rookie season, competing against Brandin Cooks for targets, and he only played in 15 games.  It took him a few games to get up to speed in the NFL, as all three of his 100 yard games, both of his two-TD games, and 66 of his 92 receptions came from October 23 on.

So we really have no idea what he's capable of doing in his second year, now as the primary WR for Drew Brees.  Like Jordy, he could make a leap from top 10ish to top 2 or 3.  Jordy might go back to 5/6 territory if Cobb is really as resurgent as people are drafting him to be.  For a rookie WR to be so close to the top and then have his situation improve the next year, I don't rank him significantly below Jordy--Jordy is just more established, and that difference would have cost me that additional $14.  (I got Thomas for $41, Jordy went for $54, I would have had to bid $55 to get him, even if the other guy wasn't willing to bid any higher.)

The whole question is really kind of moot anyway, since I had already drafted Thomas at the 31st pick, and Jordy wasn't nominated until the 49th pick.  If I knew at pick #31 that I was going to get all these bargains late and that I would have $14 left over at the end, I MIGHT have held out for Jordy.  But I wouldn't have liked bidding him up that high, that early in the draft--spending $55 on a WR just doesn't fit my strategy.

i think the vikings D is overrated, although it is just a defense. Winston could be good if he can limit turnovers. RB's are very nice, WR's are very nice. Doyle largely depends on if Luck is healthy. nice team. 

6 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

i think the vikings D is overrated, although it is just a defense.

I kind of struggle with this myself.  The bottom line, though, is that I called the Vikings' D to be top 5 last year, and of course everyone laughed, as they always do when Axe Elf departs from the consensus--and then the Vikings finished the season as the #1 fantasy defense.  So I feel a little loyalty to them, giving them the benefit of the doubt for 2017 as well.  However, they open against the Saints, so I'm kind of preparing myself to endure a first game with minimal returns from my starting defense in those leagues where I have them.

I hadn't even been drafting a defense (or a kicker) in most of my leagues up until this past week; I would just load up my bench with lottery tickets.  Lately though I've been going through my leagues and cutting the fat to add a K and a D before other streamers get to them.  I've mostly been focusing on landing the Bills and the Falcons (because they open against the Jets and the Bears), but I've been surprised how many times the Vikings are still sitting there as free agents.  I guess a lot of people think they're overrated.

Just now, Axe Elf said:

I kind of struggle with this myself.  The bottom line, though, is that I called the Vikings' D to be top 5 last year, and of course everyone laughed, as they always do when Axe Elf departs from the consensus--and then the Vikings finished the season as the #1 fantasy defense.  So I feel a little loyalty to them, giving them the benefit of the doubt for 2017 as well.  However, they open against the Saints, so I'm kind of preparing myself to endure a first game with minimal returns from my starting defense in those leagues where I have them.

I hadn't even been drafting a defense (or a kicker) in most of my leagues up until this past week; I would just load up my bench with lottery tickets.  Lately though I've been going through my leagues and cutting the fat to add a K and a D before other streamers get to them.  I've mostly been focusing on landing the Bills and the Falcons (because they open against the Jets and the Bears), but I've been surprised how many times the Vikings are still sitting there as free agents.  I guess a lot of people think they're overrated.

it was probably their poor finish last year. 

Just now, cdd10 said:

it was probably their poor finish last year. 

outside of the last game, the bears lol