Axe Elf

Axe Elf's 2017 Leagues, Teams and Players

Tonight I believe I pulled off a near-perfect auction draft.  I'm going to include a screen shot at the end, because even I wouldn't believe me if I just told you about this team.  Remember, we're talking Draft Masters here--best ball format, no lineups, no waivers, no trades, just the draft, and then I automatically get the highest scoring lineup each week.  Most total points wins.

10 team league, PPR scoring, 20 player roster, start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Team K, 1 Team D.

After I'd been on here all day preaching about targeting late-round, low-priced QBs, I did something I never do--almost by accident.  Aaron Rodgers was the first nomination out of the gate, and everyone seemed kinda sluggish to bid.  As the clock was ticking down on a $15 bid, I was thinking, "Oh hell no, Rodgers isn't going for $15!" and I stuck in a last-second bid.  The clock reset and counted down again, but nobody outbid me!  I got Rodgers for $16!!!  (He usually goes in the mid-20's or more.)

Well, ok, I guess I'll just have to lower my standards at a couple of the other positions... but then I got T.Y. Hilton for $24!!!  And the deals just kept coming.  So here's the masterpiece...

QB:  Aaron Rodgers (8) $16, Matthew Stafford (7) $6

RB:  LeSean McCoy (6) $43, Isaiah Crowell (9) $21, C.J. Anderson (5) $16, Doug Martin (11) $13, Terrance West (10) $7

WR:  T.Y. Hilton (11) $24, Allen Robinson (8) $13, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $12, Chris Hogan (9) $3, Robby Anderson (11) $2, Marquise Goodwin (11) $1

TE:  Kyle Rudolph (9) $9, Delanie Walker (8) $5, Jack Doyle (11) $2

K:  Detroit Lions (7) $1, Arizona Cardinals (8) $1

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $3, Jacksonville Jaguars (8) $2

Remaining:  $0

I may be a LITTLE weak at WR, especially in Week 11, but I have no bye week conflicts among my five RBs, and with that group of 3 top 10 TEs, I could even be posting some Flex scores from the TE position from time to time--so I really only need 2 solid WR scores from that group of 6 every week (but of course three solid scores are welcome too).

I even had enough money to splurge a little on my Ds, and end up with $0 in my wallet.

Here's the proof.

Roster.jpg

Edited by Axe Elf

Dion Lewis must be on a lot of your teams seeing how you rank him so high in that discussion we had in a different thread. 

BTW the team that you posted looks great. I love Winston this season and I'm also targeting him.

4 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Dion Lewis must be on a lot of your teams seeing how you rank him so high in that discussion we had in a different thread. 

BTW the team that you posted looks great. I love Winston this season and I'm also targeting him.

He's on several Draft Master teams for $1, yes.

26 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Tonight I believe I pulled off a near-perfect auction draft.  I'm going to include a screen shot at the end, because even I wouldn't believe me if I just told you about this team.  Remember, we're talking Draft Masters here--best ball format, no lineups, no waivers, no trades, just the draft, and then I automatically get the highest scoring lineup each week.  Most total points wins.

10 team league, PPR scoring, 20 player roster, start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Team K, 1 Team D.

After I'd been on here all day preaching about targeting late-round, low-priced QBs, I did something I never do--almost by accident.  Aaron Rodgers was the first nomination out of the gate, and everyone seemed kinda sluggish to bid.  As the clock was ticking down on a $15 bid, I was thinking, "Oh hell no, Rodgers isn't going for $15!" and I stuck in a last-second bid.  The clock reset and counted down again, but nobody outbid me!  I got Rodgers for $16!!!  (He usually goes in the mid-20's or more.)

Well, ok, I guess I'll just have to lower my standards at a couple of the other positions... but then I got T.Y. Hilton for $24!!!  And the deals just kept coming.  So here's the masterpiece...

QB:  Aaron Rodgers (8) $16, Matthew Stafford (7) $6

RB:  LeSean McCoy (6) $43, Isaiah Crowell (9) $21, C.J. Anderson (5) $16, Doug Martin (11) $13, Terrance West (10) $7

WR:  T.Y. Hilton (11) $24, Allen Robinson (8) $13, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $12, Chris Hogan (9) $3, Robby Anderson (11) $2, Marquise Goodwin (11) $1

TE:  Kyle Rudolph (9) $9, Delanie Walker (8) $5, Jack Doyle (11) $2

K:  Detroit Lions (7) $1, Arizona Cardinals (8) $1

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $3, Jacksonville Jaguars (8) $2

Remaining:  $0

I may be a LITTLE weak at WR, especially in Week 11, but I have no bye week conflicts among my five RBs, and with that group of 3 top 10 TEs, I could even be posting some Flex scores from the TE position from time to time--so I really only need 2 solid WR scores from that group of 6 every week (but of course three solid scores are welcome too).

I even had enough money to splurge a little on my Ds, and end up with $0 in my wallet.

Here's the proof.

Roster.jpg

outside of rodgers, martin, walker and fitz.... this is a very average roster.

Wouldn't consider this perfect by any means

2 minutes ago, cbubs said:

Wouldn't consider this perfect by any means

No hurry; you will once the season starts.

• Like 1

This was a fun one to do tonight...  Free ESPN public league, 12 team PPR auction draft, start 2/2 with a flex.

Team Name:  Atlanta Falcons

QB:  Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub

RB:  Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Terron Ward, Derrick Coleman, Brian Hill

WR:  Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Andre Roberts, Justin Hardy

TE:  Austin Hooper, Levine Toilolo

K:  Matt Bryant

D:  Falcons

I've always kind of wanted to do something like that, but Atlanta is the first NFL team that axually has two viable starting fantasy RBs.

The headliners are pretty good--the #4 QB, the #2 WR, the #5 RB--it just gets a little dicey from there.  lol

At least it's sort of like a Draft Master team, low maintenance, set it and forget it.  Won't have to do waivers or trades or set lineups--although if a starter gets hurt, I will plug in the next man up for them.  Since it's a free public league, I wouldn't be surprised if I go .500 or so; making the playoffs would be a thrill.

Whoever plays me in Week 5 will be loving life, though...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I screwed up this evening.  I went to sign up for my penultimate Draft Masters league, and I accidentally signed up for a snake draft instead of an auction draft.  Bah.  So here's Axe Elf's take on a 10 team PPR snake draft in the best-ball format (2R/2W/1F)  from the #7 slot.

QB:  Eli Manning (8) 11.7, Brian Hoyer (11) 16.4

RB:  LeSean McCoy (6) 1.7, Jordan Howard (9) 2.4, Isaiah Crowell (9) 3.7, Carlos Hyde (11) 4.4, Dion Lewis (9) 14.4

WR:  Allen Robinson (8) 5.7, Larry Fitzgerald (8) 6.4, Pierre Garcon (11) 7.7, Corey Coleman (9) 10.4, Kevin White (9) 12.4, Robby Anderson (11) 13.7

TE:  Zach Ertz (10) 8.4, Jack Doyle (11) 9.7, Charles Clay (6) 19.7

K:  Detroit Lions (7) 18.4, Minnesota Vikings (9) 20.4

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) 15.7, Jacksonville Jaguars (8) 17.7

I got pretty much all my targets, other than Witten going two picks ahead of me in the 14th, but with Ertz and Doyle already on board, it din't matter much.

It was a pretty orderly draft--Rounds 1, 2, 3 and 4 I took RBs, Rounds 5, 6 and 7 I took WRs, and Rounds 8 and 9 I took TEs--and then just started filling in the pieces around that core.

There are probly those who won't like my WRs, but they are all target hogs in PPR scoring, and I expect three or four of them to be within the top 15 at the end of the year.  Between my four top tennish RBs and two top 5 TEs, I only need like two good scores from my WRs every week anyway.

So you see what you can do when you don't waste early picks on TEs and QBs?  Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if I have two top 10 QBs as well, and I din't take either of them in single-digit rounds.

I posted this in the League Finder Forum too, but since it also has to do with one of my teams...

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/1134903/invitation?key=049fdab5fc8ab15c&ikey=fcd3f5af02da769e

This is the invitation link to a $150 Yahoo Cash league called "Adult Swim."  I din't create it, but I'm in it, and hoping it will fill by 9:00pm EDT Wednesday evening.

This is a 20 team auction draft with FAAB waivers, no trades, standard Yahoo scoring (non-PPR), starting 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex, 1K, 1D + 7Bench +1IR.  It will obviously run pretty deep, so you'd better know your sleepers and bring your Speedos, 'cause like the title says, this will be an ADULT SWIM.

Prizes are $1500 to first, $750 to second, $300 to third, and $150 each to fourth, Most Points and Best Record.

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/1134903/invitation?key=049fdab5fc8ab15c&ikey=fcd3f5af02da769e

Man you love yourself some Allen Robinson.  Given that the Jags defense is going to be much better, Bortles is still at the helm, Jermey Parnell is their right tackle, and they have a rookie left tackle I am wondering why you see so much value?  I guess I don't fully see him as a safe enough bet to have on every team, feels more like a home run ball then a shoe in to me.. 

2 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Man you love yourself some Allen Robinson.  Given that the Jags defense is going to be much better, Bortles is still at the helm, Jermey Parnell is their right tackle, and they have a rookie left tackle I am wondering why you see so much value?  I guess I don't fully see him as a safe enough bet to have on every team, feels more like a home run ball then a shoe in to me.. 

I think last year was about as bad as it can get for Robinson--his floor, if you will--and he was still the WR24 in PPR scoring.  He is clearly the focus of the passing game, and if he averages 0.5 more catches and 15 more yards per game he becomes the WR15--and that's with no increase in his 6 TDs.  Now that Julius Thomas is gone, though, Robinson becomes THE red zone target again, and I think we will see a couple more TDs, too, which would put him on the cusp of the top 10.

Between the sour taste he left in people's mouths last year, and the doomsday chorus you so dutifully repeated above, I'm able to get this top 10-15 WR for less than guys like Martavis Bryant and Devante Adams.

So yeah, I love me some Allen Robinson.

• Like 1

Well, I think I saved my worst for last.

I was really really hoping to do this $150 20-team Superflex league as my final draft of the season tonight, but we couldn't get 20 people to pay their dang entry fees, so the Commish finally got frustrated and just deleted the league.

Well, I really really wanted to do another league, too, because that would give me an even 60 leagues on the season.  (Don't worry, more than half of them are Draft Masters leagues.)  So I quickly hopped into another kinda deep, kinda weird league at the last minute with little time to think about all the moving parts it required.

It's only a 12 team PPR league, with distance bonuses (and only a $75 entry fee, but first place is $600, so not bad), but it's a Superflex league, starting two RBs, FOUR WRs plus one Flex AND the Superflex (in addition to the standard QB, TE, K and D).  So we'll be going at least 90 WRs deep in this draft, with a good 50-60 of them being weekly starters, and QBs will be at a premium.  On top of that, the auction budget is $400 instead of the standard $200.  So I din't really have time to calculate an constant by which I should multiply the standard player values, given the scoring system, lineup requirements, and additional demand for QBs and WRs going into the draft--I just had to do it on the fly.

I guess I kind of started at a baseline of 2x the standard price for RBs and TEs, since those positions really didn't have any additional market pressures on them in this league, and the starting budget was 2x the standard auction budget.  So for Ezekiel Elliott, for instance, my usual price point for him is $35 in an auction league--so I could spend up to $70 for him in this league, right?

Well, yes and no...

With the second nomination of the draft, that's exactly what I did--I bought Zeke for $70, amid a chorus of "wtf"s and "Go for a hundo!" comments.  I wasn't too upset with it at the time, with David Johnson and LeVeon Bell going for $106 and $104 shortly thereafter, but I was thinking that those prices would only be like $53 and $52 in a standard auction, so... hmmm...

By the end of the first round of nominations--the first 12 players off the board--I had also paid $61 for Jay Ajayi and $45 for Isaiah Crowell and I was well pleased with myself.  Ajayi's bye is now Week 1--and Zeke gets to PLAY Week 1--and then Ajayi is back while Zeke is out, and Crowell starts at RB2 with both of them.  And I only paid the equivalent of $35 for Zeke, $30.50 for Ajayi, and $27.50 for Crowell.

But the dropoff curve was steeper than I thought it would be, and other good RBs were going for not much more than I had paid for Zeke--Freeman went for $71 and McCoy went for $75.  Bah.  Even worse, some of the later deals on RBs proved to be exceptional--Marshawn Lynch ($15) went for less than Danny Woodhead ($18) and Duke Johnson ($16).  Double-bah.  So I may have screwed the pooch with all my expensive RB purchases--but at the time, I thought I was getting really good prices.

As expected, the top QBs were highly in demand.  Rodgers went for $98, Brady for $80 and Brees for $75.  I knew I wasn't going to compete for any high end QBs, but I figured in the later rounds I'd be able to snag a couple of my cheap targets, but even guys like Hoyer and Flacco were being nominated early on--Hoyer came out at the end of Round 6, and I had to pay $17 for him.  I also got Cutler for $17.  At that point, I was just going to go for Josh McCown as my third QB to start for Cutler in Week 1 and then punt him--and if I have to flex a RB in Hoyer's bye week 11, so be it.  But when Goff came up, I was able to get him as a backup for only $6.

I'm really pretty pleased with the QB situation.  The only QBs who cost less than my two were Tyrod Taylor ($14), DeShone Kizer ($11), DeShaun Watson ($11), Mike Glennon ($4), Trevor Siemian ($2), Josh McCown ($1) and Jimmy Garoppolo ($1)--well, and my Goff for $6, of course.  So coming out of it with pretty much THE three lowest-priced QBs that still have some semblance of potential was pretty sweet.

So far, so good.

But what I really hadn't counted on was how much the WR prices would get inflated--not so much for the top talent, but for all the WR2-WR4 types.  I was fairly happy getting T.Y. Hilton for $52 (only $26 on a normal budget)--but when Keenan Allen went for $54, I knew the WRs were about to get crazy.  My plan was to go after WRs who are usually undervalued--Allen Robinson, Larry Fitzgerald, Kelvin Benjamin and Pierre Garcon would do nicely behind Hilton, with something like Robby Anderson and Corey Davis at the end of the bench.

Huh uh.

Allen Robinson went for $42.  Kelvin Benjamin and Pierre Garcon each went for $47.  I pretty much HAD to go for Fitzgerald, and that took $44.  Well, maybe Golden Tate?--nope, $44.  Maybe... DeVante Parker?--nope, $40.  Jamison Crowder?--nope, $35.  Jeremy Maclin?--nope, $26.  Corey Coleman?--nope, $22.  Well surely Corey Davis at least--nope, $19.  Everytime I'd shift my sights down the WR rankings, my targets would go for more than I was willing to pay for them.  I finally drew a line in the sand, bit the bullet, and paid $19 for Robby Anderson as my WR3 with only $26 left in the bank for four more WRs, plus a K and a D.

Now, I did end up leaving $14 on the table at the end, but there weren't really any WRs that I COULD have had for that, who I axually WANTED.  I might have been able to get Jordan Matthews, who went for $13, but who's to say that my $14 bid wouldn't have been covered by the guy who wanted him?  Chris Hogan and Ted Ginn went for $11 each--I could have maybe gone for Ginn, but he seems so boom or bust.  Tyler Lockett, Cole Beasley, Cooper Kupp, meh.  Basically at the end I was just putting $2 on guys the dollar store customers were nominating, so I probably got enough points-per-dollar value to account for the spare $14 (especially since that would be only $7 in a standard auction).

If one or two of my sleeper WRs don't hit, I can probly trade one or more of my RBs for some better competency and/or consistency at WR, but all hopefulness aside, this is really one of the weakest WR units I have drafted all summer.  I'll just have to be quick to the free agents, because this league is all first-come, first-served; there are no waivers to process.

QB:  Brian Hoyer (11) $17, Jay Cutler (1) $17, Jared Goff (8) $6

RB:  Ezekiel Elliott (6) $70, Jay Ajayi (1) $61, Isaiah Crowell (9) $45, Carlos Hyde (11) $32, Rob Kelley (5) $5, Thomas Rawls (6) $2

WR:  T.Y. Hilton (11) $52, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $44, Robby Anderson (11) $19, Brandon LaFell (6) $2, Nelson Agholor (10) $2, Chris Conley (10) $2, Marquise Goodwin (11) $1

TE:  Jack Doyle (11) $4

K:  Matt Bryant (5) $2

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $3

Remaining:  $14

I'm hoping I have some guys who can ring that bonus bell at 100/150/200 yards (300/400/500 for QBs) a few times, but I'm likely going to have to move a RB to get a solid WR2/3 type.  If I can do that, I should be good to go.  And even though it's a PPR league, being able to flex a top 10 RB has to be better than flexing a WR5.

Edited by Axe Elf
  • Like 1

"Oh no, Axe Elf!" they said.  "If you don't get a QB like Tom Brady in the first three rounds, you just can't compete with the rest of your league!"

"Relax," Elf said, "You can wait until the double-digit rounds to draft a QB like Alex Smith and you'll be just fine."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"But Axe Elf," they sneered, "Gronk is the best TE in the game!  He's worth a pick in the second or third round because he's like 10 to 12 points better per game than any other TE in the NFL!"

"If you're wise," Elf said, "you'll trade him now while his value is at its highest.  Gronk is no longer the best TE in the game, but the fantasy football world is just slow to come to grips with this fact."

Yeah, let me know what you can get for Gronk now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Axe Elf," they said, "Should I start Kareem Hunt or Rex Burkhead?"

"Hunt," Elf said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, it's only been one game and we've only seen two teams play, but things are off to a promising start at the Axe Elf Institute of Fantasy Wisdom.

"Helping those wallowing in ignorance and confusion since 1994."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

"Oh no, Axe Elf!" they said.  "If you don't get a QB like Tom Brady in the first three rounds, you just can't compete with the rest of your league!"

"Relax," Elf said, "You can wait until the double-digit rounds to draft a QB like Alex Smith and you'll be just fine."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"But Axe Elf," they sneered, "Gronk is the best TE in the game!  He's worth a pick in the second or third round because he's like 10 to 12 points better per game than any other TE in the NFL!"

"If you're wise," Elf said, "you'll trade him now while his value is at its highest.  Gronk is no longer the best TE in the game, but the fantasy football world is just slow to come to grips with this fact."

Yeah, let me know what you can get for Gronk now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Axe Elf," they said, "Should I start Kareem Hunt or Rex Burkhead?"

"Hunt," Elf said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, it's only been one game and we've only seen two teams play, but things are off to a promising start at the Axe Elf Institute of Fantasy Wisdom.

"Helping those wallowing in ignorance and confusion since 1994."

You have been very negative about Hunt the last couple weeks; let's see what happens with him and Crowell now.. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dakimbell said:

You have been very negative about Hunt the last couple weeks; let's see what happens with him and Crowell now.. 

I wouldn't say VERY negative, although a voice of reason standing on the tracks of the hype train probly SEEMS very negative to those enjoying the ride.  I would say that I have been very realistic about expectations for a rookie RB--advising to bench him in the presence of more established options like Hyde or C.J. Anderson, but to start him over clearly inferior choices like Burkhead or Woodhead.  But as any poker player can tell you, sometimes the right decision doesn't always result in the most favorable outcome.

I don't think even the bandwagoners were expecting 250 yards and 3 TDs in his opener--but there's still a long way to go for a guy who made it through a 12-game college season healthy only once in his career, now facing his first 16-game season against defenses a little better than the MAC offers (although the Patriots may not be one of them).  I will say that I thought there would be more of a committee approach to try to keep him fresh--Hunt got more of a lion's share of the carries than I expected.

So I guess if you were expecting Hunt to have the greatest single rookie RB debut ever, hats off.  But if you want to throw his big game in my face, I'll throw Gronk and Alex and Burkhead and Brady right back atcha, 'cause I've been preaching to deaf ears about Gronk no longer being the best TE, waiting until the late rounds to draft a QB, and avoiding NE RBs all preseason.

Oh yeah, Gillislee.  Congrats on HIS big game too, if you started him.  I've said there was too much risk, you don't dare to start him in Week 1--but now he's even MORE dangerous, because you don't dare to sit him for the next week or three--and it's just as likely to be White or Burkhead or Lewis having 3 TDs next time.  I'd rather have him on my bench for a big game than start him when he gets 5 carries for 13 yards.  So if you have Gillislee or any other NE RB, good luck with that.

You're still in good hands with Axe Elf.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 8/29/2017 at 5:37 AM, Axe Elf said:

Might as well start one of these for this year, since people keep axing to see my teams.  I'll present some of my best here, but they're not really here for you to evaluate, they're only here for you to admire.  Think of this as a fantasy football museum, and my teams as works of art.  They are not to be taken apart and broken down, they are to be appreciated as a whole.  Please stay behind the red velvet ropes at all times.

So I did this $100 Yahoo Pro League at 3:00am local time tonight (10 team standard scoring auction draft, normal 2RB/3WR lineups with no flex), and ended up with $14 left over--the most in the league!  I'd be embarrassed, but I'm not sure where I would have even spent it.  I guess I could have maybe gone for a bigger stud at WR, like Jordy, or McCoy at RB, but I didn't know at the beginning of the draft that I was going to score the lot of Jameis Winston, Doug Martin, Terrance West, Darren McFadden, Larry Fitzgerald, Pierre Garcon, Donte Moncrief, Zach Ertz and Jack Doyle for a grand total of $45.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible.  So just pretend I spent $1 more on each of them, and then I only would have had $5 left over.

QB:  Jameis Winston (11) $6

RB:  Jay Ajayi (11) $45, Ezekiel Elliott (6) $35, Doug Martin (11) $11, Darren McFadden (6) $5, Terrance West (10) $2

WR:  Michael Thomas (5) $41, Allen Robinson (8) $17, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $12, Pierre Garcon (11) $2, Donte Moncrief (11) $1

TE:  Zach Ertz (10) $3, Jack Doyle (11) $3

K:  Adam Vinatieri (11) $1

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $2

Remaining:  $14

Sometimes this game is just too easy.

For a 10 team league, yeah this team is good but lets be honest. Outside of Thomas, the rest of your WR's aren't that highly touted in STANDARD leagues. You look really good at RB but still, 10 team league and you really only have 4 RB's (and a cuff). I'm sure you'll do well but was this really your best draft out of the hundreds I'm sure you did? 

49 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

I wouldn't say VERY negative, although a voice of reason standing on the tracks of the hype train probly SEEMS very negative to those enjoying the ride.  I would say that I have been very realistic about expectations for a rookie RB--advising to bench him in the presence of more established options like Hyde or C.J. Anderson, but to start him over clearly inferior choices like Burkhead or Woodhead.  But as any poker player can tell you, sometimes the right decision doesn't always result in the most favorable outcome.

I don't think even the bandwagoners were expecting 250 yards and 3 TDs in his opener--but there's still a long way to go for a guy who made it through a 12-game college season healthy only once in his career, now facing his first 16-game season against defenses a little better than the MAC offers (although the Patriots may not be one of them).  I will say that I thought there would be more of a committee approach to try to keep him fresh--Hunt got more of a lion's share of the carries than I expected.

So I guess if you were expecting Hunt to have the greatest single rookie RB debut ever, hats off.  But if you want to throw his big game in my face, I'll throw Gronk and Alex and Burkhead and Brady right back atcha, 'cause I've been preaching to deaf ears about Gronk no longer being the best TE, waiting until the late rounds to draft a QB, and avoiding NE RBs all preseason.

Oh yeah, Gillislee.  Congrats on HIS big game too, if you started him.  I've said there was too much risk, you don't dare to start him in Week 1--but now he's even MORE dangerous, because you don't dare to sit him for the next week or three--and it's just as likely to be White or Burkhead or Lewis having 3 TDs next time.  I'd rather have him on my bench for a big game than start him when he gets 5 carries for 13 yards.  So if you have Gillislee or any other NE RB, good luck with that.

You called Kareem Hunt a splitback with West and Spiller and thought the splits were going to be 60/30/10.  You were very negative. 

Edited by ChargersKINGS
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

1 minute ago, ChargersKINGS said:

You called Kareem Hunt a splitback with West and Spiller and thought the splits were going to be 60/30/10.  

Yeah, that's what I just said; Hunt got more of the carries than I expected.  As such, I thought West would be a decent flex play in larger leagues--and he came away with 9.5 PPR fantasy points (8.5 standard).

1 minute ago, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, that's what I just said; Hunt got more of the carries than I expected.  As such, I thought West would be a decent flex play in larger leagues--and he came away with 9.5 PPR fantasy points (8.5 standard).

On one carry vs a tired pats defense after Hunt just torched them for 50. West and Spiller were both non factors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChargersKINGS said:

On one carry vs a tired pats defense after Hunt just torched them for 50. West and Spiller were both non factors.

Well, Spiller is no longer with the team.  DeAnthony Thomas is taking the 3rd RB role--and he had a few carries.  But heck, I wouldn't call almost 10 fantasy points a "non factor."

6 minutes ago, ChargersKINGS said:

spiller was also released, so that shook things up a bit.

7 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Well, Spiller is no longer with the team.  DeAnthony Thomas is taking the 3rd RB role--and he had a few carries.  But heck, I wouldn't call almost 10 fantasy points a "non factor."

Its a fluke, how likely is a 1 carry for 21 yards and a TD? Even after Kareem Hunt fumbled West got nothing. He has 85%+ of the caries last night. West nor Thomas was a splitback. 

Edited by ChargersKINGS

4 minutes ago, coffey22 said:

spiller was also released, so that shook things up a bit.

That shook nothing up. Andy Reid was calling Hunt the feature back even before they released him. 

On 07. 09. 2017. at 10:41 AM, Axe Elf said:

Well, I think I saved my worst for last.

I was really really hoping to do this $150 20-team Superflex league as my final draft of the season tonight, but we couldn't get 20 people to pay their dang entry fees, so the Commish finally got frustrated and just deleted the league.

Well, I really really wanted to do another league, too, because that would give me an even 60 leagues on the season.  (Don't worry, more than half of them are Draft Masters leagues.)  So I quickly hopped into another kinda deep, kinda weird league at the last minute with little time to think about all the moving parts it required.

It's only a 12 team PPR league, with distance bonuses (and only a $75 entry fee, but first place is $600, so not bad), but it's a Superflex league, starting two RBs, FOUR WRs plus one Flex AND the Superflex (in addition to the standard QB, TE, K and D).  So we'll be going at least 90 WRs deep in this draft, with a good 50-60 of them being weekly starters, and QBs will be at a premium.  On top of that, the auction budget is $400 instead of the standard $200.  So I din't really have time to calculate an constant by which I should multiply the standard player values, given the scoring system, lineup requirements, and additional demand for QBs and WRs going into the draft--I just had to do it on the fly.

I guess I kind of started at a baseline of 2x the standard price for RBs and TEs, since those positions really didn't have any additional market pressures on them in this league, and the starting budget was 2x the standard auction budget.  So for Ezekiel Elliott, for instance, my usual price point for him is $35 in an auction league--so I could spend up to $70 for him in this league, right?

Well, yes and no...

With the second nomination of the draft, that's exactly what I did--I bought Zeke for $70, amid a chorus of "wtf"s and "Go for a hundo!" comments.  I wasn't too upset with it at the time, with David Johnson and LeVeon Bell going for $106 and $104 shortly thereafter, but I was thinking that those prices would only be like $53 and $52 in a standard auction, so... hmmm...

By the end of the first round of nominations--the first 12 players off the board--I had also paid $61 for Jay Ajayi and $45 for Isaiah Crowell and I was well pleased with myself.  Ajayi's bye is now Week 1--and Zeke gets to PLAY Week 1--and then Ajayi is back while Zeke is out, and Crowell starts at RB2 with both of them.  And I only paid the equivalent of $35 for Zeke, $30.50 for Ajayi, and $27.50 for Crowell.

But the dropoff curve was steeper than I thought it would be, and other good RBs were going for not much more than I had paid for Zeke--Freeman went for $71 and McCoy went for $75.  Bah.  Even worse, some of the later deals on RBs proved to be exceptional--Marshawn Lynch ($15) went for less than Danny Woodhead ($18) and Duke Johnson ($16).  Double-bah.  So I may have screwed the pooch with all my expensive RB purchases--but at the time, I thought I was getting really good prices.

As expected, the top QBs were highly in demand.  Rodgers went for $98, Brady for $80 and Brees for $75.  I knew I wasn't going to compete for any high end QBs, but I figured in the later rounds I'd be able to snag a couple of my cheap targets, but even guys like Hoyer and Flacco were being nominated early on--Hoyer came out at the end of Round 6, and I had to pay $17 for him.  I also got Cutler for $17.  At that point, I was just going to go for Josh McCown as my third QB to start for Cutler in Week 1 and then punt him--and if I have to flex a RB in Hoyer's bye week 11, so be it.  But when Goff came up, I was able to get him as a backup for only $6.

I'm really pretty pleased with the QB situation.  The only QBs who cost less than my two were Tyrod Taylor ($14), DeShone Kizer ($11), DeShaun Watson ($11), Mike Glennon ($4), Trevor Siemian ($2), Josh McCown ($1) and Jimmy Garoppolo ($1)--well, and my Goff for $6, of course.  So coming out of it with pretty much THE three lowest-priced QBs that still have some semblance of potential was pretty sweet.

So far, so good.

But what I really hadn't counted on was how much the WR prices would get inflated--not so much for the top talent, but for all the WR2-WR4 types.  I was fairly happy getting T.Y. Hilton for $52 (only $26 on a normal budget)--but when Keenan Allen went for $54, I knew the WRs were about to get crazy.  My plan was to go after WRs who are usually undervalued--Allen Robinson, Larry Fitzgerald, Kelvin Benjamin and Pierre Garcon would do nicely behind Hilton, with something like Robby Anderson and Corey Davis at the end of the bench.

Huh uh.

Allen Robinson went for $42.  Kelvin Benjamin and Pierre Garcon each went for $47.  I pretty much HAD to go for Fitzgerald, and that took $44.  Well, maybe Golden Tate?--nope, $44.  Maybe... DeVante Parker?--nope, $40.  Jamison Crowder?--nope, $35.  Jeremy Maclin?--nope, $26.  Corey Coleman?--nope, $22.  Well surely Corey Davis at least--nope, $19.  Everytime I'd shift my sights down the WR rankings, my targets would go for more than I was willing to pay for them.  I finally drew a line in the sand, bit the bullet, and paid $19 for Robby Anderson as my WR3 with only $26 left in the bank for four more WRs, plus a K and a D.

Now, I did end up leaving $14 on the table at the end, but there weren't really any WRs that I COULD have had for that, who I axually WANTED.  I might have been able to get Jordan Matthews, who went for $13, but who's to say that my $14 bid wouldn't have been covered by the guy who wanted him?  Chris Hogan and Ted Ginn went for $11 each--I could have maybe gone for Ginn, but he seems so boom or bust.  Tyler Lockett, Cole Beasley, Cooper Kupp, meh.  Basically at the end I was just putting $2 on guys the dollar store customers were nominating, so I probably got enough points-per-dollar value to account for the spare $14 (especially since that would be only $7 in a standard auction).

If one or two of my sleeper WRs don't hit, I can probly trade one or more of my RBs for some better competency and/or consistency at WR, but all hopefulness aside, this is really one of the weakest WR units I have drafted all summer.  I'll just have to be quick to the free agents, because this league is all first-come, first-served; there are no waivers to process.

QB:  Brian Hoyer (11) $17, Jay Cutler (1) $17, Jared Goff (8) $6

RB:  Ezekiel Elliott (6) $70, Jay Ajayi (1) $61, Isaiah Crowell (9) $45, Carlos Hyde (11) $32, Rob Kelley (5) $5, Thomas Rawls (6) $2

WR:  T.Y. Hilton (11) $52, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $44, Robby Anderson (11) $19, Brandon LaFell (6) $2, Nelson Agholor (10) $2, Chris Conley (10) $2, Marquise Goodwin (11) $1

TE:  Jack Doyle (11) $4

K:  Matt Bryant (5) $2

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $3

Remaining:  $14

I'm hoping I have some guys who can ring that bonus bell at 100/150/200 yards (300/400/500 for QBs) a few times, but I'm likely going to have to move a RB to get a solid WR2/3 type.  If I can do that, I should be good to go.  And even though it's a PPR league, being able to flex a top 10 RB has to be better than flexing a WR5.

I expected much worse after introduction :D

Only mistake(well imo) is Hyde for $32. You are loaded with RBs and could have easily bought Parker especially with Cutler as your QB in place of Anderson.

I wish you'd just admit you were wrong about hunt, that would give you more credibility than deny deny deny

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I wish you'd just admit you were wrong about hunt, that would give you more credibility than deny deny deny

You must be new around here 

Edited by Nyblazer11235
  • Like 4