Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axe Elf

Axe Elf's 2017 Leagues, Teams and Players

1 minute ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

You must be new around here 

Lol nah but I'm just going to keep poking at the wall until it cracks

i was in about 10 draft master leagues with axe last year 

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

I wish you'd just admit you were wrong about hunt, that would give you more credibility than deny deny deny

I told you I underestimated his share of the carries--that's the only thing I've been wrong about so far--and it's only one game.  I will always exercise caution in starting a rookie RB in Week 1--I WASN'T wrong about that, even if it means that once every 50 years I'll miss out on a rookie RB posting 250/3 after losing a fumble on the first carry of his career.  (How many people were "wrong" about him right after THAT happened?)

As I've said before--and as any poker player knows--sometimes the RIGHT decision doesn't always result in the most favorable outcome.  But if you make the right decision every time, you'll come out ahead in the long run.

And if you listen to Axe Elf, you'll always make the right decision.

1 minute ago, Anteater99 said:

More like A$$ Elf

Says the Pantseater.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:31 PM, Axe Elf said:

Team Name:  Atlanta Falcons

QB:  Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub

RB:  Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Terron Ward, Derrick Coleman, Brian Hill

WR:  Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Andre Roberts, Justin Hardy

TE:  Austin Hooper, Levine Toilolo

K:  Matt Bryant

D:  Falcons

Falcons.jpg

I'm so proud.  The Falcons finally got their revenge on Brady.

Overall, I went 14-13 in my 27 managed leagues in Week 1, which isn't bad, considering that I started Allen Robinson in 22 of them.  Losing a WR2 really hurts in a 20-team league (and I lost Robinson in 4 of those).  Still, it's pretty cool that I can blame 10 of my 13 losses at least in part on Robinson's underwhelming 1-catch-and-I'm-done-for-the-year performance, and rest comfortably in the fact that 12 of my 14 wins happened in spite of it.

I lost in three leagues despite posting the 3rd-highest score in each of those leagues, and lost in a fourth league with the 4th-highest score.  I lost 2 games by fewer than 4 points each.  So really like half my losses were kinda flukey, even with Robinson mucking things up.  That's the silver lining, but if I really want to look on the bright side, I can look forward to getting Ajayi back into my starting lineup in 10 of the leagues that I won and 9 of the leagues that I lost (with Doug Martin also waiting in the wings for 7 of my winning teams and 9 of my losing teams).

I didn't really have any players that really went off, like Hunt or Gillislee, that I would have to depend on doing that repeatedly.  Most of my guys just turned in normal, workmanlike performances--and some of them even underachieved (I'm looking at you, Crowell, Hilton and Benjamin).  So if a couple of my guys can pick things up a little, and Ajayi and Martin come back as advertised, I think I'll be in pretty good shape this season, even with losing my WR2 in 22 out of 27 managed leagues.

Draft Masters might be a different story.  I lost Robinson in 24 of my 34 DM teams too.  One of my MFL25x2 leagues (slow draft), I had Cameron Meredith when he got hurt, so I landed Kevin White later in the draft, and now I've lost Allen Robinson too.  Only T.Y. Hilton, Larry Fitzgerald and Torrey Smith remain to carry the WR load in that league.  At least they all have different bye weeks.

I am currently 1st or 2nd in 8 of my 34 DMs, and I'm in the top half of 11 more--so in the running for 19 of them.  That's probably without Robinson's 2.7 PPR fantasy points counting towards any of my scores anyway--and there's still Ajayi and Martin, who are each on 18 of my DM benches waiting to get into the game themselves--so maybe Robinson's absence won't kill me after all.

There's really nowhere to go but up for most of my teams--so as long as I can avoid any more major injuries, I think I'm going to be ok even after losing Robinson in 46 out of 61 leagues.

I notice you didn't display an entire list of your player shares this year like last. Wonder why lol

Pretty telling that all your entire post is basically crying the woe is me on allen robinson, rather than boasting about a single guy u pushed doing well.

Excellent picks in crow Benjamin and hoyer. Looks like another banner year at the axe elf school of ff.

50 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

I notice you didn't display an entire list of your player shares this year like last. Wonder why lol

Pretty telling that all your entire post is basically crying the woe is me on allen robinson, rather than boasting about a single guy u pushed doing well.

Excellent picks in crow Benjamin and hoyer. Looks like another banner year at the axe elf school of ff.

Gee, here I thought most of the post was celebrating the fact that even though I lost my WR2 in basically 75% of my leagues, I drafted well enough that I'm probly still gonna be ok.  And that's really a boast on ALL the players I drafted (and pushed), since to single one out to boast about among the dozens of successful touts would be like picking your favorite M&M out of a swimming pool of identical candies.

Wonder no more!  The reason I haven't posted an exhaustive list of my players (yet) this year is that I haven't had the time.  Really, it would be cool if it was some deep psychological drama--but no, I just haven't had the time.  For the most part, you can tell what players I targeted by looking at some of my representative drafts presented in this thread.  I can list some off the top of my head...

QBs: Matthew Stafford, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Sam Bradford, Brian Hoyer, Alex Smith, Eli Manning

RBs:  Ezekiel Elliott, LeSean McCoy, Jay Ajayi, Jordan Howard, Isaiah Crowell, Marshawn Lynch, Carlos Hyde, Doug Martin, Terrance West, CJ Anderson, Rob Kelley, Darren Sproles, Dion Lewis, Branden Oliver

WRs:  Jordy Nelson, T.Y. Hilton, Michael Thomas, Allen Robinson, Larry Fitzgerald, Pierre Garcon, Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Corey Davis, Robby Anderson, Nelson Agholor, Marquise Goodwin

TE:  Zach Ertz, Kyle Rudolph, Jack Doyle, Delanie Walker, Jason Witten

K:  Prater and Forbath a lot, but several others

D:  Minnesota, Jacksonville, Oakland, and several streamers (currently Buffalo)

Not really sure what you're complaining about with Crowell--he scored more fantasy points than Marshawn Lynch, Tevin Coleman, CJ Anderson, DeMarco Murray, Le'Veon Bell, Frank Gore, Joe Mixon, Rex Burkhead, Adrian Peterson and Eddie Lacy this week.  So while we're talking about the guys I endorsed, let's talk about all the guys I warned AWAY from as well--pretty much a who's who list of consensus darlings that faceplanted on opening day.

Benjamin, meh, he'll have better days, and he's not usually more than a WR4 for my teams anyway.  Hoyer I still believe is a sleeper QB for the season, and there was only one guy in the help threads who I advised to axually START Hoyer this week (and his situation was pretty bleak)--but hey, I did say that if he din't have the stomach for that, Sam Bradford would be my second choice.  So I'm sure that worked out well for him.  I have always and still do endorse Hoyer as a sleeper backup QB.

I'll try to get around to the master player list at some point this week.  Sometimes I think that maybe nobody even really cares, but disappointing a fan like you who misses it when it's not there makes me want to redouble my efforts.

You did a whole write up boasting the niners like they were this years falcons lol. 

Wasnt that game and the niners in particular your game of the week lol

7 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

You did a whole write up boasting the niners like they were this years falcons lol. 

Wasnt that game and the niners in particular your game of the week lol

It was.  Have patience, grasshopper...

On 8/31/2017 at 12:32 AM, Axe Elf said:

Tonight I believe I pulled off a near-perfect auction draft.  I'm going to include a screen shot at the end, because even I wouldn't believe me if I just told you about this team.  Remember, we're talking Draft Masters here--best ball format, no lineups, no waivers, no trades, just the draft, and then I automatically get the highest scoring lineup each week.  Most total points wins.

10 team league, PPR scoring, 20 player roster, start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Team K, 1 Team D.

After I'd been on here all day preaching about targeting late-round, low-priced QBs, I did something I never do--almost by accident.  Aaron Rodgers was the first nomination out of the gate, and everyone seemed kinda sluggish to bid.  As the clock was ticking down on a $15 bid, I was thinking, "Oh hell no, Rodgers isn't going for $15!" and I stuck in a last-second bid.  The clock reset and counted down again, but nobody outbid me!  I got Rodgers for $16!!!  (He usually goes in the mid-20's or more.)

Well, ok, I guess I'll just have to lower my standards at a couple of the other positions... but then I got T.Y. Hilton for $24!!!  And the deals just kept coming.  So here's the masterpiece...

QB:  Aaron Rodgers (8) $16, Matthew Stafford (7) $6

RB:  LeSean McCoy (6) $43, Isaiah Crowell (9) $21, C.J. Anderson (5) $16, Doug Martin (11) $13, Terrance West (10) $7

WR:  T.Y. Hilton (11) $24, Allen Robinson (8) $13, Larry Fitzgerald (8) $12, Chris Hogan (9) $3, Robby Anderson (11) $2, Marquise Goodwin (11) $1

TE:  Kyle Rudolph (9) $9, Delanie Walker (8) $5, Jack Doyle (11) $2

K:  Detroit Lions (7) $1, Arizona Cardinals (8) $1

D:  Minnesota Vikings (9) $3, Jacksonville Jaguars (8) $2

Remaining:  $0

I may be a LITTLE weak at WR, especially in Week 11, but I have no bye week conflicts among my five RBs, and with that group of 3 top 10 TEs, I could even be posting some Flex scores from the TE position from time to time--so I really only need 2 solid WR scores from that group of 6 every week (but of course three solid scores are welcome too).

I even had enough money to splurge a little on my Ds, and end up with $0 in my wallet.

Here's the proof.

Roster.jpg

On 8/31/2017 at 1:00 AM, cbubs said:

outside of rodgers, martin, walker and fitz.... this is a very average roster.

Wouldn't consider this perfect by any means

On 8/31/2017 at 1:03 AM, Axe Elf said:

No hurry; you will once the season starts.

11 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

We are still waiting. 

I wanted to refresh your memory of that roster.  Yes, it's unfortunate that Robinson went out on his first catch, but that doesn't really detract from the draft pick itself--I drafted a WR who was going to be the undisputed focus of his team's aerial attack (such as it is) for $13--but the bottom line is that this probly isn't the team to pick on, if that's going to be your focus.

I had a lot of teams that lost Robinson, but where I relied on guys like Corey Davis and Corey Coleman to replace him in many of my managed leagues, they both got hurt early in THEIR games in Week 2.  And on top of that, I had three or four games that were easily in reach going into Sunday night, only to have Jordy Nelson pull up lame on the first series, never to record a catch.  So in 27 managed leagues, I only have 5 undefeated 2-0 teams--however, I will parenthetically insert here that I am probly the most proud of my Atlanta Falcons team; the team I drafted consisting of all Falcons players is one of them.

Another is the Superflex league in which QBs get 1 pt per pass completion, and 3 points for every 5 passing yards.  In that league I had to go against my own deeply held personal belief to wait on drafting a QB--the advantage of having 2 stud QBs in the lineup at all times is just too great--so I drafted Brady, Brees and Stafford.  That Patriots v Saints game was a bloodbath in which I recorded the highest point total in the league this year so far, as Brees scored 246 fantasy points and Brady donated another 327 points en route to a total team score of 984.5.  Through two games, I have the most total points scored by more than 120 over 2nd place.

But I digress.

The point is that besides some good teams, I have some teams that may deserve a bit of derision at this point, but the Draft Masters team to which you refer above really isn't one of them.  Despite losing Robinson for the season and not getting much so far from Isaiah Crowell, T.Y. Hilton, Larry Fitzgerald, Robby Anderson or Marquise Goodwin--heck, even LeSean McCoy laid an egg last week, and so far, Aaron Rodgers is averaging 6 points per game less than Alex Smith--that team still stands 14.40 points out of first place.  If some of these guys can pick up the pace a little--plus getting Doug Martin into the game after two more weeks--I should be in good shape.  In short, the "perfect" Draft Masters team has to be built to weather some unforeseen disappointments and still remain competitive--and that's exactly what that team is doing.  It's weathered some setbacks and remains in position to make a move for the lead when things sort themselves out a little more.

You relied on Crowell and an aging shady in an anemic offens as your 1-2 punch. Big mistake, and you talked down on guys like hunt and gurley. How's that working out ?

You wanna fall back on the excuse of Robinson injury, while you didn't surround him with a good supporting cast. Didn't take into account the luck injury on ty value, fitz age maybe finally catching up, Anderson the possible number one but on a terrible team, and Goodwin??! Lol 

For a ten team league this is pathetic. 

The team you first posted is not gonna win you anything and has little depth

QB: Winston has yet to proof he'll be top 10. 
RB: Jay Ajayi - Zeke strong RB's, if one post's a dud you'll lose your week because the rest of your team are no high end scoring players on a regular basis. I assume you are 1-1 or 0-2 with this team.

WR: Michael Thomas - Fitz are no good starting WR's
Flex: I guess you play West 

TE: Ertz solid but no gamebreaker (it's hard to find a gamebreaker TE nowadays tho, so I'll take solid)

Should work the waiver a lot with this team.

Your second team is better

QB:  Aaron Rodgers, the best
RB:  McCoy, Anderson and Crowell is a great combo so far, well done
WR:  Hilton, Fitz WR Combo is very weak. I would not be comfortable of starting Hilton and Fitz as my WR's and I do not see any positives in the rest

Flex: I guess you play Crowell 
TE:  Solid choices

Sad Robinson is out for the year but he was a gamble to start the year with anyways and wouldn't make your WR cores in these teams much better (IMO).

13 hours ago, the holy one said:

The team you first posted is not gonna win you anything and has little depth

QB: Winston has yet to proof he'll be top 10. 
RB: Jay Ajayi - Zeke strong RB's, if one post's a dud you'll lose your week because the rest of your team are no high end scoring players on a regular basis. I assume you are 1-1 or 0-2 with this team.

WR: Michael Thomas - Fitz are no good starting WR's
Flex: I guess you play West 

TE: Ertz solid but no gamebreaker (it's hard to find a gamebreaker TE nowadays tho, so I'll take solid)

Should work the waiver a lot with this team.

As a matter of fact, yes, this team is currently 0-2, and yes, I have been working the waiver wire, starting with Week 1 when Winston was unexpectedly off, so I picked up Matthew Stafford instead.  Unfortunately, I was also without Ajayi in Week 1, and Robinson started, but only netted me 1.7 points on his one catch.  Then of course Zeke laid an egg as a starter in Week 2, as did Fitzgerald, and this team is subsequently 8th of 10 teams in total points scored through two weeks.  (Parenthetically, one of the two teams that has scored fewer total points than me is 2-0, so go figure.)

But like you said, Zeke and Ajayi are a strong RB combo in a standard scoring league, and I expect Thomas and Fitz to have better days ahead.  There is no flex (start 2 RBs and 3 WRs), so West and Doug Martin are currently just bench depth for me.  I would think I could flip a RB for a solid WR2 type once Martin returns.  Ertz is currently the #7 TE, but he's 2 fantasy points away from being the #2 TE.  The waiver wire has also yielded Greg Zuerlein, currently the #3 K, and the Tampa Bay Defense, which is currently the #9 defense, despite having played only one game.  I've also picked up the current #5 and #7 WRs, Jermaine Kearse and Nelson Agholor.

So I'm axually pretty optimistic about the team's future, even if some of my "studs" are off to a clunky start.

14 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

You relied on Crowell and an aging shady in an anemic offens as your 1-2 punch. Big mistake, and you talked down on guys like hunt and gurley. How's that working out ?

You wanna fall back on the excuse of Robinson injury, while you didn't surround him with a good supporting cast. Didn't take into account the luck injury on ty value, fitz age maybe finally catching up, Anderson the possible number one but on a terrible team, and Goodwin??! Lol 

For a ten team league this is pathetic. 

I don't believe I have talked down Gurley; in fact I've defended him against some who have.  Just about everything went wrong for Gurley last year, and he was still the #15 overall RB--so he definitely has top 10ish potential this year.  I was surprised that people were drafting Hunt about two rounds higher than they had been drafting Spencer Ware before his injury--which I thought was kind of odd--but yes, I'd say Hunt's first couple of games have come as a surprise to just about everyone.

And I don't know what you mean by falling back on the Robinson excuse; I just said that while it was unfortunate that he went out for the year after one catch, I was pleased with the depth I had drafted around him.  If anything, I'm saying that losing Robinson should NOT be an excuse for this team performing poorly--but despite all the setbacks, it's still 14.40 points out of first place.

14 hours ago, the holy one said:

Your second team is better

QB:  Aaron Rodgers, the best
RB:  McCoy, Anderson and Crowell is a great combo so far, well done
WR:  Hilton, Fitz WR Combo is very weak. I would not be comfortable of starting Hilton and Fitz as my WR's and I do not see any positives in the rest

Flex: I guess you play Crowell 
TE:  Solid choices

Sad Robinson is out for the year but he was a gamble to start the year with anyways and wouldn't make your WR cores in these teams much better (IMO).

You guys both seem to be missing the fact that this team is a Draft Masters team--best ball format, no setting lineups.  Crowell and McCoy are not a "1-2 punch"; they are merely two punches out of five possible in any given week (well, four, until Martin returns).  Whichever two RBs score the most points are my two starting RBs for that week.  And I think that's why holy one doesn't like my WR corps--which isn't necessarily geared to picking two starters beforehand, but is instead composed of several WRs who have big game upside each week.  As long as two of them come through, I'll have solid WR scores every week.  I wish I still had 6 WRs to contribute, but with Robinson gone, I'll have to make the most of the remaining five.  Then whichever RB, WR or TE has the next-best score becomes my flex player--and with a TE stable of Rudolph, Walker and Doyle, I expect to get a few flex scores from that group this year as well as pretty much dominating most other teams' TE scores most weeks.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Week 1, Allen Robinson goes out for the year after 1 catch in about 75% of my leagues.  Ajayi also gets a surprise bye in about 75% of my leagues.  Hilton, Garcon and Fitzgerald lay eggs.  I pick up a bunch of Corey Davis and Corey Coleman to replace Robinson.

Week 2, Jordy Nelson leaves his game after the first series and posts a 0 in about half my leagues.  Zeke, McCoy, Howard, Hilton, Garcon and Fitzgerald all lay eggs.  The Coreys both get hurt early in their respective games; Coleman goes on IR.  I pick up a bunch of Rishard Higgins and Jermaine Kearse to replace them.

Week 3 I get smart and bench Garcon, Hilton and Diggs for lack of effective QB play--in most cases to start Jermaine Kearse or Rishard Higgins instead--and Kelvin Benjamin goes down after 2 catches.  Darren Sproles goes down in the first half after 11 yards--and goes on IR.  Jay Ajayi, Rishard Higgins and Jermaine Kearse lay eggs.

It would be kind of nice if I could get through a week without one of my studs going to the locker room after the first series; I'm getting kind of tired of competing with 8 players against my opponents' 9 players.  And what's with all these "workhorse" RBs posting less than 20 yard games???  Isaiah Crowell is doing his damage in a good 2/3rds of my leagues as well--not exactly laying eggs, but certainly not having GOOD games, either.

In fact, things have gotten so bad that this week, in a 20 team league, I lost to a "drone" team that started Ryan Tannehill and Quincy Enunwa--and I started Eli Manning and Larry Fitzgerald.  (I also started Ajayi, Sproles, Higgins and the Falcons' D--a core group that posted a grand total of 10.6 points.)

On the other hand, this week, in another 20 team league, I won a game in which I started Sam Bradford--because I din't want to start Hoyer in the Thursday night game against the Rams--and just hoped Bradford could go on Sunday.  By the time he was ruled out, it was too late, and being a 20 team league, there were no QBs available--not even Case Keenum--so I had to just let Bradford ride and take the zero.  As in the other league, I started Jay Ajayi and Darren Sproles at RB, Fitzgerald and Higgins at WR, and the Atlanta D.  My opponent started Dak Prescott, Leonard Fournette and Chris Thompson at QB and RB, for a grand total of 70.7 from those three players.  Bradford, of course, added nothing to the 10.6 point effort of my core group, but Hilton, Fitzgerald, Ertz and Forbath came through with almost 90 points, while his DBryant, Maclin, JJames, Forte, Gano and the 49ers were only good for 23.4.  I won 100.3 - 94.1.

After all this crap over the first three weeks, it's amazing that I have any wins at all--but I'm axually treading water with an overall record of 37-44.  I have 4 teams that are 3-0 as well as 4 teams that are 0-3, with 6 teams at 2-1 and 13 teams at 1-2.  If I could just play some full 9-on-9 games without losing a key player in the first quarter, I think most of my teams are still good enough to compete for the playoffs--but things have to start getting better right now.  (They just about can't get any worse, at least not without inviting a comparison to last season.)

Of all my 3-0 teams, though, I think I am the most proud of the Atlanta Falcons team--just because it's so weird to draft a team that is completely composed of players from a single NFL team, and have it do so well.  It's hard to believe that such a team could be 3-0, but they're legit, scoring the 5th-most points so far in their 12 team PPR league.

It's been a wild ride already--hopefully the drama will diminish.

Oh, and I'm in the top half of 16 of my 33 Draft Masters leagues as well, so that's about exactly what you would expect, statistically speaking--but I'm a little worried after losing Robinson and Sproles for the year from an awful lot of those teams.  But that squad I defended from spurious attacks last week--the one that was only 14.40 points out of first place?  It's now only 1.35 points out of the money.

Just now, bhawks489 said:

Yeah, you just suck

If that were the case, I wouldn't be doing so well.

For the amount I've seen you lose on rt sports and what you've "accomplished" so far with your predictions, id say people are far more likely to win taking the opposite of what you suggest 

On 9/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, bhawks489 said:

Lol nah but I'm just going to keep poking at the wall until it cracks

i was in about 10 draft master leagues with axe last year 

What's a draft master?

7 minutes ago, erick2008e said:

What's a draft master?

Pick a team but the computer automatically picks the best team out of your draft every week. Gotta be careful of byes n such

easentially a best ball league every week instead of yearly but you can't make in season moves 

14 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

For the amount I've seen you lose on rt sports and what you've "accomplished" so far with your predictions, id say people are far more likely to win taking the opposite of what you suggest 

Then you clearly have problems drawing logical conclusions from sets of data.

Just now, bhawks489 said:

Pick a team but the computer automatically picks the best team out of your draft every week. Gotta be careful of byes n such

Ooh that type of league sounds like fun