Dugout Legend

September Closer Thread 2017

I hope Parker was simply unavailable after 23 pitches the night before and not demoted after blowing that save.

17 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Knebel has the third best K/9 (better than Jansen) among relievers. Too bad the Brewers won't be using him as much in save situations ROS.

Huh?  Why wouldn't he be used for ALL Save opportunities barring 3rd or 4th day in a row pitching situations?

17 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Man. We made it like a whole month before the beyond tired pay vs don't for saves arguments came back. No one cares boys, we all play different formats.

Yeah haven't the Mods lectured us here enough on hijacking the thread for this silliness.  Why do people keep getting into this "discussion" over and over and over and over and over again here.  Stop the madness!!!!

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Caelum said:

I hope Parker was simply unavailable after 23 pitches the night before and not demoted after blowing that save.

a better question may be whether Parker was ever REALLY the guy or if the magic 8 ball just happened to choose him a few times in a row...

Image result for Scioscia gif

• Like 3

I'm guessing after last night it's welcome back Chapman. He's had enough of a mental break and looks better now. On paper a SP with 6 inn., Robertson in the 7th, Betances in the 8th & Chapman to close looks like a video game lineup.

• Like 1

That might be wishful thinking. Chapman still has an 8.00 ERA and 1.56 WHIP over the last month.

He has strung together two whole scoreless appearances. The one before those he gave up a run in a tie game and took the L.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:32 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Knebel has the third best K/9 (better than Jansen) among relievers. Too bad the Brewers won't be using him as much in save situations ROS.

I hope you're wrong but...

On 9/5/2017 at 11:40 AM, Fiveohnine said:

Wait why won't they?

Because the Brewers have "jumped the shark"

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Huh?  Why wouldn't he be used for ALL Save opportunities barring 3rd or 4th day in a row pitching situations?

Yeah haven't the Mods lectured us here enough on hijacking the thread for this silliness.  Why do people keep getting into this "discussion" over and over and over and over and over again here.  Stop the madness!!!!

Right on cue, Knebel in the game down by 5 and hurting our ratios!!

Luckily they already pulled him, but still a man LOB he's responsible for.

Edited by Members_Only_76

At least Knebel wasn't in there very long, so any damage he did to our ratios ended up being minimal.

Not sure where any talk about them using another closer came from.  I've never known Fuzzy Slippers to post misleading stuff like that before, but misleading it is.  That would be like the Angels sitting Trout the rest of the season even though they are in the middle of a playoff race themselves.  Maybe not quite, but Knebel has been nearly that good at his position this season, so you get the idea.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lyons

Probably still Oh.  Even though it should easily be Lyons, Matheny has yet to really treat Lyons like he really has a shot at the role.

Lyons battles back and converts. Putting the first 2 guys on and then storming back for the save probably matters more to Matheny than a clean inning lmao. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nicasio was picked up by the Phillies.

They traded him to the Cardinals on Wednesday.

• Like 1

I'm shocked to see Lyons was used to get the save last night, and Oh hasn't pitched in a while.  Who was that man masquerading as Matheny last night?

Don't worry, Oh was warming up, if Lyons gave up another hit he would probably get the hook

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Don't worry, Oh was warming up, if Lyons gave up another hit he would probably get the hook

I don't have Oh and would rather it would be Lyons since he is better and don't want Oh blowing any of Weaver's games the rest of the way.  Lyons did get it done in the end, so I would assume he would get the next chance.

I don't have him either, I am just saying Matheny didn't actually change lol. He still has that quick hook