Dugout Legend

September Closer Thread 2017

44 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

If only Maurer didn't suck so bad 

48 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Herrera 💩💩💩

Meanwhile Alexander throws 1.2 scoreless innings tonight. Herrera isn't right. Hoping this leads to more chances for Alexander

For anyone still interested in the Cards closer situation, Oh pitched in the 7th inning tonight in a game STL was losing 2-0 at the time and gave up a run to make it 3-0.   Looks like Lyons and Brebbia now the clear front runners to get saves down the stretch, with Lyons having the ever-so-slight edge since he converted the last save for them.  

10 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Ziegler looking like his usual self finally. Are people making the switch to Barraclough? 

Or is Ziegler still worth holding onto after the last couple hiccups?  

Edited by HaloFanatic17

5 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Or is Ziegler still worth holding onto after the last couple hiccups?  

I think Barraclough is the new closer. 

• Like 1

Hoping one of the newer candidates is available for me next week.  Lyons, Bearclaw, even Alexander.  IDK if there is any time to waste on Herrera since he won't be DL'ed so looking like a drop come next week.

Herrera can be safely dropped.  His replacement isn't that easy to decipher.  Yost seems to want Maurer to be the guy because he has "closer experience," but Alexander (and even Minor) is the much better pitcher right now.  

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 1

Not sure if Barraclough is the new closer although he might get some save opps.

Mattingly has said that the closer role is the best role for Ziegler though. Ziegler has had back issues, and the closer role prevents him from getting up so many times in a game. 

13 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I had room so I just grabbed Minor and Alexander. Not risking Maurer lighting up my ratios

Probably the right move lol.

At this point, maybe Matheny will go out to close the next game.  As long as they preserve Weaver's wins, that's all I really care about.

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Thanks a lot, Giles.

Corbin and Giles just torpedoed my chances of advancing sigh.

Speaking of Doolittle.

I remember Dusty getting hammered on here for selecting Doolittle to serve in the closer role.  Time to give him some credit.  It was clearly the right choice.  Their bullpen has settled in nicely, and Johnny B. deserves some of the credit.

22 minutes ago, Nails101010 said:

Speaking of Doolittle.

I remember Dusty getting hammered on here for selecting Doolittle to serve in the closer role.  Time to give him some credit.  It was clearly the right choice.  Their bullpen has settled in nicely, and Johnny B. deserves some of the credit.

really wasn't a difficult call.....Madson admitted he didn't like the role.....and Doolittle pitched well so once they acquired Kintzler later there was no need to shake things up

I don't remember people hammering Dusty in here for choosing Doolittle. To me it was mostly speculation and people trying to figure out which guy he'd choose.

Sometimes you have two bad choices and sometimes you have two good ones.

I think either choice would have been successful as far as Madson/Doolittle. Doolittle would have gotten the job anyway once Madson got hurt. But coming in, Doolittle was actually the guy with larger injury concerns.

Edited by Fiveohnine