LivingOnTheEdge

Corey Ray OF Brewers

Corey Ray definitely underwhelmed this year. Some scouts considered him the top player in last year's draft. There aren't many positives to take from his season this year with HIA Carolina. The 2 areas I guess you could say that were positives is his 30 doubles and 24 SBs. But not much else to brag about. 

He struck out 31% of the time and walked 9%. He's definitely a good buy low candidate, especially considering that he wasn't playing 100% after last seasons knee surgery. But the 24 SBs shows that it didnt hamper his speed. And I don't know how much I believe the surgery effected his season. I just think he was overwhelmed and he needs a lot of developing. But his upside is still huge. 

Plus the Carolina madcats were absolutely loaded this year. With a lot of talent, I love their guys like trent Clark, isan Diaz, Lucas Erceg, monte Harrison, Luis aviles and Jake Gatewood before his promotion. And basically everyone of them had somewhat disappointing seasons except breakouts Jake Gatewood and Monte Harrison. I was expecting the mudcats to be one of the best hitting teams in HIA before the season.

Anyways, one area Corey Ray is gonna have to improve is his plate discipline/strikeouts. He struggles reading breaking balls and that leads to too many holes pitchers are taking advantage of. Ray has the potential to be a future 5 tool all star. But he's gonna have to make the improvements. I'm sure he's stoked that the 2017 season is behind him. Now the question is, do the brewers start him out at HIA next year or Double A. I'm guessing they'll start him out at HIA again and he should be quickly promoted if he has made the expected improvements. Remember, Corey Ray was seen as possibly the first one making it to the majors from the 2016 draft. So far its been a disappointment.

His final numbers from the season looked bad, here they are:

NOT SURE WHY IT DOESN'T LET ME EDIT A 2ND TIME ANYMORE BUT I ACCIDENTALLY POSTED WITHOUT THE STATS SO I HAD TO REPOST ENTIRE POST BECAUSE IT SAID EDITING NOT ALLOWED ANYMORE...

Corey Ray definitely underwhelmed this year. Some scouts considered him the top player in last year's draft. There aren't many positives to take from his season this year with HIA Carolina. The 2 areas I guess you could say that were positives is his 30 doubles and 24 SBs. But not much else to brag about. 

He struck out 31% of the time and walked 9%. He's definitely a good buy low candidate, especially considering that he wasn't playing 100% after last seasons knee surgery. But the 24 SBs shows that it didnt hamper his speed. And I don't know how much I believe the surgery effected his season. I just think he was overwhelmed and he needs a lot of developing. But his upside is still huge. 

Plus the Carolina madcats were absolutely loaded this year. With a lot of talent, I love their guys like trent Clark, isan Diaz, Lucas Erceg, monte Harrison, Luis aviles and Jake Gatewood before his promotion. And basically everyone of them had somewhat disappointing seasons except breakouts Jake Gatewood and Monte Harrison. I was expecting the mudcats to be one of the best hitting teams in HIA before the season.

Anyways, one area Corey Ray is gonna have to improve is his plate discipline/strikeouts. He struggles reading breaking balls and that leads to too many holes pitchers are taking advantage of. Ray has the potential to be a future 5 tool all star. But he's gonna have to make the improvements. I'm sure he's stoked that the 2017 season is behind him. Now the question is, do the brewers start him out at HIA next year or Double A. I'm guessing they'll start him out at HIA again and he should be quickly promoted if he has made the expected improvements. Remember, Corey Ray was seen as possibly the first one making it to the majors from the 2016 draft. So far its been a disappointment.

His final numbers from the season looked bad, here they are:

PA - 501
AB - 447
AVG - .235
OBP - .309
ISO - .128
SLG - .362
HITS - 105
2B - 28
3B - 4
HR - 7
RUN - 56
RBI - 48
SB - 24
CS - 10
K's - 156
BB's - 48
31.1 K% /9.6 BB%
BABIP - .341
WRC+ - 89

As you can see its nothing to brag about at all besides the doubles and stolen bases especially considering he just had knee surgery, the speed is good to see...

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 1

Ray is off to a nice start in AA after a disappointing 2017 in Hi-A.  Supposedly he has made a swing change that has  corrected some mechanical problems from last year and has correlated to in-game power early on in 2018:

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/4/16/17238522/milwaukee-brewers-corey-ray-has-found-success-at-the-plate-after-changing-his-swing

He is heating up with 5 multi-hit games in last 6 games played.  On the year, 9 XBH in 11 games (5 doubles, 3 triples and a dong) plus 3 SB to boot.  Plate discipline  still needs to tighten up (3 BB to 9 K) but he only K'd twice during recent 6 game hot streak.  As the above article indicates, he is currently boasting large BABIP and pulling the ball a lot but early numbers are promising so far.  

Prior to 2017 season Corey Ray was listed as high as #34 overall prospect by Keith Law, , #48 by John Sickels, #42 by BA, #30 by MLB, #41 by BP, etc.  KLaw himself pointed out that Ray's disappointing 2017 could have been attributed to swing mechanics and health.  Maybe Ray has fixed the swing and is finally healthy?  Either way, he is worth keeping an eye on for the time being with the hot start.

Edited by Meastoftheeast
  • Like 2

guy's worth a bump, just added in my deep dynasty.  I jumped ship but I'm back on board now after the swing change.

46g, 14 2B, 7 HR, 10 SB, .258/.343/.489 slash

From CBS:

Brewers' Corey Ray: Logs four-hit effort Sunday

Ray reached base in all five of his plate appearances Sunday in Double-A Biloxi's 11-4 win over Jacksonville. He recorded two doubles, two bases, a walk, a stolen base and scored three times in the victory.

The four-hit showing tied a season high and lifted Ray's line to .259/.358/.478 across 285 plate appearances in the Southern League. After a rough campaign at High-A Carolina in 2017, the Brewers' 2016 first-round pick has made major strides this season while facing higher-caliber pitching. He has boosted his BB/K from 0.31 to 0.49 and has nearly doubled his power production (.129 ISO in 2017, .219 ISO in 2018). The outfielder's toolsy profile makes him an appealing hold in dynasty formats, especially if he's able to maintain the improvements he's shown with his plate discipline as he rises through the system.

Could he finally be the guy we were hoping for?  Any chance he gets to see some AAA time this year?

• Like 1

He's at .258, 20 HR, 32 SB so far this season, but with 121 K's in 391 AB's.  

Last 10 games he's on fire; .359, 4 HR's, 9 SB's, with 11K's.

Love the power and speed, but K's scare me.  Does he have a chance to hit MLB pitching?  And any chance he makes it up this year?  If I recall correctly, he used to be a top prospect.

I scooped him in a deep 18 team dynasty earlier this year.  I definitely think his bat will play in the bigs, Michael Taylor 2.0 is a pretty reasonable comp.  Taylor Ks, walks, homers and steals at similar rates as Ray. 

His ceiling is probably a little higher than that give he was/is more toolsy than Taylor was.  Ray is also hitting a ton of doubles which could lead to a higher power ceiling.  

I'd like him a lot more if he wasn't a Brewer.  Hopefully he gets dealt for some relief pitching or something.  With the way managers are managing having CF eligibility isn't as difficult as it once was.  It'll be difficult for him to get into the top 15 CF conversation.  Borderline fantasy starter/solid depth.

Seems like the Brewers might want to see what they have in Ray at the MLB level at some point this year given that they moved on from Broxton and Santana, no?  

The depth chart after Yelich-Cain-Braun doesn’t look like it poses much of a barrier, so I’m guessing Ray gets the call if a starter hits the DL.

Not getting a lot of love on 2019 prospect lists despite prolific power/speed production in AA.  Obviously he strikes out a lot and the BA is low but I think he is getting dinged on account of prospect fatigue too.  Certainly in OBP leagues there is a lot of upside worth gambling on.

Edited by Weekday Warrior
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Seems like the Brewers might want to see what they have in Ray at the MLB level at some point this year given that they moved on from Broxton and Santana, no?  

The depth chart after Yelich-Cain-Braun doesn’t look like it poses much of a barrier, so I’m guessing Ray gets the call if a starter hits the DL.

Not getting a lot of love on 2019 prospect lists despite prolific power/speed production in AA.  Obviously he strikes out a lot and the BA is low but I think he is getting dinged on account of prospect fatigue too.  Certainly in OBP leagues there is a lot of upside worth gambling on.

Main thing I don't like about him is a lack of a 40 man roster spot.  You are right that the OF in Milwaukee isn't very strong.  Doubt Thames, Gamel, and Spangenberg are much of a block, although they do want to give Gamel some run.

As a Brewers fan, rumors are flying that Ray is the centerpiece in a trade for Bumgarner.  We will see, as it seems that Bumgarner rumors dying down some.  A move to SF will probably give him playing time in 2019, as soon as Giants get extra year of control.  If the trade does not happen, I could see Ray up some point this summer with the Brewers.  I just dont see Ben Gamel as a 4th OF, and with Stearns getting rid of Santana and Broxton, that spot is open.  Braun always an injury risk also, and Thames is terrible defensively.  

Seems to me Ray should be up by summer no matter where he ends up.  Hopefully he can lower his K-rate some to start the minor league season, making a callup much more likely and quicker.  No doubt his power/speed combo.  Just needs to lower that K-rate (if even possible)

• Like 1

Awful, awful start to the season. What has happened? He's not even stealing bags.