BlaZeN37

How much more valuable are QBs in Standard than in PPR?

Assuming typical QB scoring of 6 points per passing TD, and -2 points per interception.

Because the large decrease in total points from other positions, can't it be argued that elite QBs are that much more valuable in standard? 

I don't get the lack of actual conversation in this thread.

Last season QB1 had 445 points where as QB10 had 307. The difference between 138 points throughout a season in standard compared to the high point totals of PPR is gigantic.

1 minute ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I don't get the lack of actual conversation in this thread.

Last season QB1 had 445 points where as QB10 had 307. The difference between 138 points throughout a season in standard compared to the high point totals of PPR is gigantic.

QB's (for the most part) don't receive so they don't get the point per reception

^^^^The fact that even needed to be clarified is good enough reason to close this thread.

Edited by dabeesta17

i think it kind of downgrades them in 4 point passing TD leagues, i could be wrong though. did not see that you said 6 point TD. oops.

Edited by cdd10

31 minutes ago, rxn said:

QB's (for the most part) don't receive so they don't get the point per reception

What I was getting at is that points are at more of a premium in standard compared to PPR. I understand they don't get more points in PPR. But other positions score a lot less. Which would make the difference in PPG from QB1 to QB10 more impactful. 

2 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

What I was getting at is that points are at more of a premium in standard compared to PPR. I understand they don't get more points in PPR. But other positions score a lot less. Which would make the difference in PPG from QB1 to QB10 more impactful. 

Yes, QB's scoring 6pts per touchdown in standard leagues would be given a bump due to thier increased point differential.

2 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Assuming typical QB scoring of 6 points per passing TD, and -2 points per interception.

Because the large decrease in total points from other positions, can't it be argued that elite QBs are that much more valuable in standard? 

No.  

You measure apples with apples, it doesn't matter what size bowl they are placed in.

It's a negligible difference in my mind, certainly not much to bump any particular QB much higher on my draft board in standard. The impact of the points scored by a quarterback can make up a bigger amount of your totals week to week, for sure. But so many QBs are damn near interchangeable anyway, so I don't see that fact being a needle-mover very often.

In standard AND in PPR, I just don't like overpaying for QBs in single-QB leagues.

Edited by ComericanPie

It should basically dictate whether you target/reach for a top-tier QB (Rodgers, Brady, Brees if you believe in him repeating).  If it's not enough of a distinction to reach for one of them, then it probably shouldn't sway your rankings all that much when it comes to the QBs after them.

The only thing that should change the value of QB's is how many you can start and the amount of teams in your league.

I never understood only giving 4 points for TD's.

You pretty much answer your own question in the title.

PPR means Point Per Reception. So essentially, the only players it would affect would be players that can catch a pass. (ie...RB, WR, TE)

QB's (for the most part) only throw the ball. The only way you would see a vast difference in QB value was if your league counted irregular stats like (# of passes or # of completions).

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

The only thing that should change the value of QB's is how many you can start and the amount of teams in your league.

I never understood only giving 4 points for TD's.

It helps even out the positions some because QB's can score 4, 5, even 6 TDs in a single game, where a RB/WR/TE has almost no shot at ever doing so.

A QB can easily put up 3 TDs in a single game.  For a RB/WR/TE, that's like their best game of the season, or their career.

Almost all of the rankings assume a 4 pt passing TD. Yet many play in a 6 point passing TD league. When you run FBG models that account for this change in scoring, the QB;s rise dramatically in the draft order. This year Rodgers 7th overall, Brady 11th, and Brees 19th etc. Then throw in the bonus points for 300/400/500 yard games that QB's routinely hit vs their rushing and receiving bonus points and it is almost an imperative to get a top shelf QB early.

The advice of never draft a QB early seems to be based on a scoring assumption(s)  that may not be valid for many.

It would be interesting to see the % of leagues in Yahoo, CBS or ESPN than use 6 TD passing scoring points vs 4 pts.

Yes elite QBs are more valuable in standard than ppr. This is because there are less points total, so 130 points seperation between Rodgers and big Ben is essentially the entire scoring ability of a wr2 in standard. The qbs after the elite 3 are not any more valuable because there is really no seperation between Ben, Mariota, cam, russ, etc and in a 12 team league there are more than enough qbs, other than elite 3. 

13 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Yes, by at least a round in ADP. 

This is a very rough VBD assessment, but according to fantasypros, last season the difference between RB1 and RB24 was 190 points in Standard and 244 in PPR and between RB 1 and RB 40 was 229 in Standard and 285 in PPR. In Standard there were 2 RBs (b24) and 7 RBs (b40) and in PPR there were 4 RBs (b24) and 6 RBs (b40) who were better than +138 above those baselines. (The difference between WR1 and WR24 was 78 in Standard and 108 in PPR and between WR1 and WR40 was 95 in Standard and 128 in PPR.)

The biggest mistake I see people make with QBs is trying to compare them with other positions. QBs should only be compared with other QBs and draft accordingly. Take into consideration what QBs you can get much later in the draft and how much easier they are to replace than RBs and sometimes even WRs.