garlando

Nate Pearson - SP TOR

Coming off a 10 strikeout (in just 4 innings) performance in the Vancouver Canadians 1st playoff game of 2017, I think Nate Pearson deserves his own thread. Pearson is a 6 foot 6, 245 pound, power pitcher who has had a great start to his pro career after being drafted in the 1st round, 28th overall by Toronto. Pearson made 8 regular season starts, 7 of them at low A Vancouver, and did not yield a run until his final start of the season versus the Boise Hawks where he was touched up for two runs. His final regular season line featured a 0.90 ERA, 0.60 WHIP, while striking out 26 and walking 5 in only 20 innings of work. His stuff is highlighted by an upper 90's fastball that can reach triple digits when he needs to. He also has a slider that projects to average that can be an out pitch, a changeup that I've heard has made lots of progress since turning pro and projects to at least average, and a curveball that flashes average but is a step behind his other offerings. Add in average control/command, especially with his fastball which he commands well considering the velocity, and you have a guy who has big time upside as a SP, and at worst a back end of the bullpen type arm.

It was thought Pearson could be a top 10 pick coming into the draft, however, teams were hesitant to take the early plunge on the hurler due to his medical records. During his high school career, Pearson had a screw inserted in his right pitching elbow. He's been nothing but healthy since and it does not pose a problem currently but teams felt it may down the road and steered clear of the Odessa, Florida native.

As a Jays fan, I've been following news on him a bit and I've heard some very high praise of him throughout the season. Here is Vancouver Canadians manager Rich Miller on Pearson:

“What’s amazing about him, he’s a very tall, big guy and usually when you hear about a guy who throws 95 to 100 it’s going to be a very powerful, I’m-going-to-give-it-all-I-got delivery. It’s a very smooth delivery and he’s very quick to the plate from the stretch if some runners get on base. He does hit 100 at times. He knows it, he’s had it in his college career, he’s had it now in his pro career, and it doesn’t amaze him or anything. He just wants to go out, and one pitch at a time just get every hitter each time.

“He’s really been working with the slider and the change-up; he knows he’s going to need that to pitch at the higher level, and his last outing he did give up a run or two, which was his first runs he’s given up in the pro level but we really wanted to work more sliders and change-ups in because he knows he’s going to use it and the more he uses it, the better it’s going to get.”

And here is a tweet (sorry I don't know how to embed) from Charlie Caskey (@CharlieCaskey) from August 13th on Pearson:

chatting w/ someone here that talked to C’s pitching coach Jim Cjazkowski who said he’s best he’s seen here. Better than Sanchez, Thor et al

Overall, I see a guy that hits 100mph with command. Has good feel for the changeup plus 2 breakers with potential. And he just turned 21 so he's on the younger side of college draftees. That is so much more to work with than most of the SPs taken ahead of him imo. I think he's a top 200 prospect at this point. Excited to watch his development!

Edited by garlando
  • Like 4

Will like to hear more about him as he progresses, as I just drafted him in my dynasty league.

Thanks for the thread!

The fact that his arm already has a screw in it is pretty terrifying, especially for a guy throwing the kind of elite velocity Pearson is. There's a lot to like about him and if the baseball god's bless his arm with health he could be pitching at the front end of a rotation one day, but man is there a lot of risk with hi, both health and bullpen. If you were a Javy Baez or Joey Gallo believer, then Pearson is right up your alley in terms of risk.

Interesting bit from Kiley McDaniel's chat on Fangraphs today:

Ted
12:16
Under the radar guy to become the top righty pitching prospect in baseball?

Kiley McDaniel
12:18
Eric and I talked about that for a bit last night and Nate Pearson came up as a guy that could explode. I remembered that when I saw him last spring I saw some parallels to Tyler Glasnow, who did just that. Not the same player, obviously, but shape of the breaking ball, long stride, some mechanical stuff, big guy with big arm speed, etc. there's some similar stuff going on...

• Like 1

Couple more quotes on Nate Pearson that I've heard over the offseason:

Sixto: Your thoughts on Nate Pearson‘s upside / long-term role?

Kiley McDaniel: I may have seen his best outing last spring, so I may be beating the drum of the upside on Pearson for now. Mid to upper 90’s and flashed plus slider and changeup while throwing enough strikes. The scouts were all looking at each other like (choose your favorite OMG emoji). So the upside (which increasingly is less important these days) is soooo high. If he starts or relieves or how close to that level he can consistently get is the question and we’ll learn a lot about that in the next year.

This one is from the Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins so take it with a grain of salt but still:

"In the time I’ve been in a front office, I can’t recall a player like this. Just how far he’s come in such a short period of time. He actually reminds me of a guy that I was with in the minor leagues, Bartolo Colon, as far as just overall stuff, and overpowering. I mean, we have obviously been extremely encouraged by Nate. At the same time, he’s first year into professional baseball. So there’s a lot of development opportunity — and that’s a good thing. There’s a lot of growth [still] for him. But man, the stuff, the power, the character, the make-up, the athleticism — there’s nothing not to like. So we couldn’t be more pleased, and absolutely do value the fact that the industry sees him that way."

And finally:

• Like 3

Here's a snippet from a reddit post 

"

Here is a great article by Lance Brozdowski, and below that is the quote from Pearson's minor league pitching coach

https://www.bigthreesports.com/nate-pearson-blue-jays-prospect-jim-czajkowski/

"Having groomed the likes of Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, and Noah Syndergaard, Czajkowski’s reps with advanced skill sets and assessment of their potential needs no introduction.

[Nate] is better at his age than any of those guys were…. If I were to rank those guys, Sanchez probably had the best pure arm action and a good curveball, a good sinking fastball too, but Nate has all four [pitches].”

Per the Physical Therapist Assistant by day. Covering the Florida State League and prospector.

https://twitter.com/jasonatthegame/status/957316602613108738

"He is Michael Kopech with better control and a better offspeed stuff"

"Nate Pearson is a Top 30 prospect in baseball and if the draft were re-done would push for 1st overall"

If he stays healthy, he's going to shoot up rankings. If you can acquire him at the back end of the first round in your new player draft or from a leaguemate for cheap, the "buy low" window is closing .

• Like 2

Nate probably ends up being the pitcher who makes it to the bigs the fastest.  Sits 97-99 as a SP, can dial it past 100. The Jays organization say Pearson would have gone top 3 if he was coming out of D1.  Easily the best fastball in the draft with already plus change, slider, and curve. 

One of the most under rated prospects right now.  In my eyes he's already better than the Puk, Soroka, Quantril tier of pitching prospect and these guys are generally in the 25-40 range on most prospect lists.

• Like 1

Also a lot of people don't realize this but Pearson pitched well in the playoffs too being a key factor in Vancover winning the Northwest League Championship last year.  Pearson punched out 10 in 4 innings in one start in the playoffs.

thanks Brock et. al., I snatched Pearson up last night and as a Jays fan I'm excited to see this kid throw bullets!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

thanks Brock et. al., I snatched Pearson up last night and as a Jays fan I'm excited to see this kid throw bullets!

@garlando was on him first! (here anyway).  I'm only good for putting gasoline on a hype train. 

• Like 1

Glad to see that people are on him as well.  Picked him up last year after the initial tout-and boy do I like the long term prospects here.

There's always the worry about the elbow, but some of the praises that are being put on this kid don't really come down often.  Seems to be as high ceiling of a pitching prospect as you can get.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys...grabbed him off the waiver wire in my dynasty league. Sounds like a future stud.

• Like 1

Norris also said he was the best arm he’s seen this spring...and I’m sure he’s seen a bunch of them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coach George said:

Norris also said he was the best arm he’s seen this spring...and I’m sure he’s seen a bunch of them. 

Pearson is going to sky rocket up the prospect rankings.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2018 at 6:24 PM, Blood Brother said:

everyone jawing about the fastball..  that slider is looking pretty damn plus plus as well.  excited to see this kid progress! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

holy shmoly-just discovered this kid when reserching 17' draftees. just watched a bunch of his highlights How did this freakin monster last until the 28 pick? what is the catch? he looks like he ligitmatly has the best stuff from.that class. beside bein impresed by his insane fastball-his slider had me in shock'n'awe, it looks exactly like syndergards except not as hard. hes not owned in my dynasty league-am I missin sonething? after reading the above posts-im takin it that he is the real deal.

im a huge gators college baseball fan and I thought alex faedo was the best college pitcher taken but I have no doubt tgat its pearson. I still believe Faedo will be a legit 1/2 SP but Pearson has the stuff to be the best pitcher in baseball. grabbin him now

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam
  • Like 2

he would go 1-1 if the draft was done over without a second thought.

• Like 1

Dude's season is quickly turning into a lost year. Missed the first month with an oblique issue and now left his first start early after taking a comebacker off his pitching elbow