garlando

Nate Pearson - SP TOR

Posted (edited)

Had a rough second inning and got pulled. Wasn’t getting quite torched so curious if it’s the groin. Saw on Twitter that it might have been planned to be a short outing. He hit 102 on the gun. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

He is going to the Futures game this weekend and coming off the IL. He has been handled with kid gloves. I am sure they were planning this to be a limited outing. Nice to see him back though. 

^ Sounds like MLB is out of the question this season then.

21 minutes ago, smeeze said:

^ Sounds like MLB is out of the question this season then.

With his injury history and how they are handling his innings limit, combined with the fact that he's on a non-contending team, I think it's safe to say that MLB was never in play this year.

If he can stay remotely as dominant as he has been while going 5-6 innings he's going to shoot up the prospect lists going into next year.

I think it is all about health at this point for rankings. Rankings shouldn't be valued all that high unless you are planning on dealing him. To finish out the year I am mostly interested in him throwing 90ish pitches (preferably every 5-6 days) than the stats at this point. He needs to get extended and we need to see if his stuff holds up late into games.

Pearson is turning age 23 in August. What's the possibility of him getting called up in 2020?

1 hour ago, BCMarch10 said:

Pearson is turning age 23 in August. What's the possibility of him getting called up in 2020?

close to 100% if healthy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BCMarch10 said:

I'd say 10%.

That team won't be in contention plus next year will be his first attempting to go 5 or 6 innings every start out.

His 2020 should in many ways be like 2019 was for Gore.

I do think Pearson will be the #1 pitching prospect in baseball after 2020.

Edited by 96mnc

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

I'd say 10%.

That team won't be in contention plus next year will be his first attempting to go 5 or 6 innings every start out.

His 2020 should in many ways be like 2019 was for Gore.

I do think Pearson will be the #1 pitching prospect in baseball after 2020.

I am far closer to the 100% than the 10% if he is healthy. 

I don't buy the idea that they will sit him in the minors because they aren't in contention. They brought up Vlad, Biggio...Bichette is on the horizon and would have been up without injury. They are assembling a core and bringing them up to get MLB experience. 

I am most interested in him getting stretched out than actual stats to end the season. The pitching strategy to start the year was probably smart since he broke his elbow end of last year. He has shown his arm is healthy. If he rattles off 90ish pitch starts to end the year, even if it is 4-6 times, it signals that they are taking off the training wheels next year. If he performs next year he is getting the call like the offensive guys they have promoted this year. 

I think the main takeaway is that he is abnormally low on the rankings because the Jays have been conservative with his workload. That is smart. He broke his elbow. The restrictions are getting eased (hopefully) and the rankings will reflect that on a lag because most rankings fail to apply proper context. 

• Like 2

Pearson is rising on prospect lists. MLB Pipeline has him currently ranked as #14 overall now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BCMarch10 said:

Pearson is rising on prospect lists. MLB Pipeline has him currently ranked as #14 overall now.

I forget where I read this earlier in the year but I thought it was a salient comparison.  The "risk" with Pearson this year was 1) health and 2) could he maintain his "stuff" later into games or was he destined to follow Jordan Hicks' path. That plus a low work load this year kept his ranks pretty conservative, but the ceiling remained sky high.

IF by the end of the year he can continue to go 5+ innings while maintaining his stuff, near universal top-10 status going into next year wouldn't surprise me at all.

Edited by Baur10

Posted (edited)

I ❤️ his bulldog mentality and physical presence. He knows his stuff is nasty, and he just challenges hitters. Rare for guys to come right @ ya these days. 

Also, you can't underestimate the psychology behind "imposing bodied" pitchers that throw easy triple digits, and how it  *uck* w/ your head as a hitter... compared to a "normal/average" sized guy. It's hard to explain, but those Tall/Hoss guys always made me get out of rhythm as a hitter, I'd overthink and try to be quick to the ball instead of a smooth "timing" kind of swing. Anyway, if he's over the intercostal strain for good, he's got the body type to support the "nasty" for 7+ innings every 5'th day! I'd say he's #1 in MiLB on pure "stuff" at this point, and there are some talented guys to compare to. 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 2

6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K. Pretty sure that's his deepest outing of the season. Threw 91 pitches too

Watched a bit of the outing, not bad.  His command is not great yet, but the stuff is there.  I actually flipped him for Muncy just an hour ago.

• Like 1

Half the Jays rotation is now gone. Did Pearson's chances for a call up just go up?

8 minutes ago, avatoot said:

Half the Jays rotation is now gone. Did Pearson's chances for a call up just go up?

Seems awfully aggressive. I think he is ready and would hold his own and the Jays are dumb enough to do it. But, I think they will opt for control and keep him down

Posted (edited)

Nate won't get called up.  I think as a starter he might get shelled a bit right now.  As a RP, he could be very solid.

Just look at A.Chapman right now.  If you can't command your 100mph fast ball, you get knocked around.  There are a few RP out there throwing 100 not really talked about, because they haven't learned to command it.

Edited by Hellgrammite