garlando

Nate Pearson - SP TOR

Zero incentive to call him up.  There would be a much better chance he finds himself shut down as he’s already blown away his previous innings total, which isn’t saying much.  I think they’d like to get him to 100 IP.

He is an interesting as hell case.  He’s only thrown 88.2 TOTAL professional innings, which would lead you to believe they want him to get stretched out much more before pushing him up ladder.  However, he’ll be 23 at the end of this month.  AND he has an extensive injury history, so there is tons of risk here.  However, I’m all in, and have been from day 1.  This is one of those guys we want to see right away, but definitely going to have to be patient

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 4:28 AM, MrMartyBarrett said:

Zero incentive to call him up.  There would be a much better chance he finds himself shut down as he’s already blown away his previous innings total, which isn’t saying much.  I think they’d like to get him to 100 IP.

He is an interesting as hell case.  He’s only thrown 88.2 TOTAL professional innings, which would lead you to believe they want him to get stretched out much more before pushing him up ladder.  However, he’ll be 23 at the end of this month.  AND he has an extensive injury history, so there is tons of risk here.  However, I’m all in, and have been from day 1.  This is one of those guys we want to see right away, but definitely going to have to be patient

I don't agree with the injury risk you are placing on him. He broke his elbow on a line drive. It was a fluke injury and he has demonstrated he is fully recovered from it. I think Nate carries as much injury risk as every hard throwing pitcher. He threw 101 innings combined in college/minors in 2017. He has the desired starting pitcher physical build. I don't think he is getting called up this year, but I do think they continue to stretch him out to end the year. If healthy I think we see him next year in Toronto. 

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I don't agree with the injury risk you are placing on him. He broke his elbow on a line drive. It was a fluke injury and he has demonstrated he is fully recovered from it. I think Nate carries as much injury risk as every hard throwing pitcher. He threw 101 innings combined in college/minors in 2017. He has the desired starting pitcher physical build. I don't think he is getting called up this year, but I do think they continue to stretch him out to end the year. If healthy I think we see him next year in Toronto. 

Injury risk is already having a screw in your elbow....nothing to do with that fluke injury last year

Well if the screw is made of titanium or something like that then we're good. If they only used duct tape then not so good.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, MrMartyBarrett said:

Injury risk is already having a screw in your elbow....nothing to do with that fluke injury last year

This is a legit question....what percentage of elbows with screws in them lead to more elbow injuries? Honestly, I don't know the answer because the broken elbow injury is an outlier. He is healthy to date throwing all of his pitches. If he goes down with TJ tomorrow I am not about to blame a screw in his elbow. The only additional risk he may carry with a screw in his elbow is a fracture and I do not know what the likelihood of that is, which is why I asked the question. Either way, our sample set is going to be super small to draw conclusions from. 

Knocked around a little bit today.  I am curious to see how he handles AAA and the juiced ball.  We have seen a number of pitchers do well in AA this year, and then really get knocked around once they get promoted to AAA.

Threw 101 pitches last night. 60 for strikes. 5.2 innings. 4 hits. 3 walks. 6 K's. 0 runs. Good to see the pitch count moving up. 101, 93, 81, 91, 74 are his pitch counts in his last 5 games while staying on a normal schedule pitching every 5th or 6th day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Do we see him as a SP or RP when he gets the call in 2020.

I don't understand where you are coming from with this question. The only reason I can see him being a RP is to limit innings, but that type of prediction in August of 2019 is getting really cute and I don't see how it really changes anything. He could break camp with the Jays next year. He could get called up on the Vlad timeline or the Gallen timeline. Who knows. But for now he is a starter. 

Not only is he a starter for me but he's going to a major league team with no good starters who are trying to make obvious reliever Trent Thornton a starter.

His starter leash will be long 

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, ItsMeMario said:

Toronto future rotation is scary, based on potential

Yea Pearson looks like a good one, but what else do they really have? Reid-Foley was a top prospect, but has flamed so far, Kay is probably more a back end rotation piece. Thronton is ok, Wagespack and Pannone are meh. I do like Manoah, Woods-Richardson, and Pardinho, but man they are years and years away. 

Why should anyone fear these people? 

Edited by kwolf68

8 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Yea Pearson looks like a good one, but what else do they really have? Reid-Foley was a top prospect, but has flamed so far, Kay is probably more a back end rotation piece. Thronton is ok, Wagespack and Pannone are meh. I do like Manoah, Woods-Richardson, and Pardinho, but man they are years and years away. 

Why should anyone fear these people? 

They have a lot of pitching depth in the minors, but we don't know how many will turn out yet.  Obviously Pearson (health permitting) is the most promising but a future rotation of a mix of Pearson, Manoah, Woods Richardson, Kloffenstein, Kay, Paradinho, Murphy, Williams sounds interesting