hard1

Deonte Thompson 2017 Season Outlook

Edit: reaction to last page where the quote was lost.

Edited by Boudewijn

7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Meh. If he'd be an established value maybe but probably he still has to earn his chops and he's not the go-to guy yet, regardless of game script.

It could happen, but these are not the ain scenarios I base my valuation on.

While his value is lower, what I think he is saying is he sees his potential upside as higher. Those are the type of guys I want on my bench. Deonte COULD be a focal point of a decent passing offense (along with Clay when he returns) . Where the other two will not.

I will admit the other two are much safer however, but most likely have a lesser ceiling considering their respective situations. 

Edited by Dirtywater97

1 minute ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Those are the type of guys I want on my bench. Deonte COULD be a focal point of a decent offense

Yeah, I pretty much agree, see several earlier posts, but I want to see 6 targets this weekend before I grab him.

7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah, I pretty much agree, see several earlier posts, but I want to see 6 targets this weekend before I grab him.

Totally understandable. Just make sure you have the waiver priority / budget if it turns out to be the case. I'm in some pretty deep leagues so I have to be very proactive in these type of situations or the player isn't going to make it on to my roster. 

1 hour ago, Sean Tambo said:

Between Doctson, JuJu, and Deonte ROS..Leaning towards Deonte...I just dont see Docton getting much more volume. Kirk just throws to RBs, TEs.. Bell/Brown sums up JuJu volume. Deonte has good chance at becoming Tyrods favorite target..They have rapport since high school. 

I like doctson rod but his schedule is tough vs 1 WRs. I don’t worry about cousins getting him the ball. If there wasn’t rain I’d have doctson ahead by a lot this weekend

It's gunna be wet and unpleasant here tomorrow as well.

5 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

It's gunna be wet and unpleasant here tomorrow as well.

Big downgrade for a deep threat then. Will definitely be monitoring snaps and targets though. If those improve dramatically he could fly under the radar some more. 

I've been hearing rain until like 4 PM tomorrow. Everyone is packing rain gear for tomorrow's game. I usually trust good WRs in the rain but I don't trust DT and Ty.

3 hours ago, Sean Tambo said:

:angry: Im running out of WR to play due to rain..Ok, stash Deonte , sit Tyrod, start Watson......

it's all Bye-Week-Upside-Madness this week... at this point, just go with your gut. no one really knows.

I'm starting JuJu + Doctson (blegh)... they could both score a touchdown, or both play like late-career Freddie Mitchell. 

feels like random chaos. 

no one knows 

200.webp#3-grid1

Just the confidence level. Like I said we’ve had plenty of reps together in Baltimore, not necessarily game reps, but of course preseason reps,” Taylor added. “We work servicing our defense as well to throughout the season. Like I said just the chemistry. I trust him.”

it's all I need to hear .... trust chemistry history? This is how good players become great! (Cutler/alshon Brady/Edelman Stafford/Johnson bortles/ ) not that he's comparable to these dudes but 2 discarded players fighting for their careers reunited on the same team , got to love it!!!

I generally leave weather predicitions out of my fantasy decisions. anecdotally i know that benching players because of weather has burned me more than once

my league is CBS and it says buffalo's game is 45 degrees with light showers but obviously someone who lives there would have a better idea what the weather forecast is

and like the other guy said if we are considering starting him we dont have great options anyway, my other choice is fowler and it's a tossup but i'm getting on team deonte this week, reallly liked what i saw in that youtube video, and especially that they used him as a wing on the triple option, i love triple option and wish more nfl teams had the courage to run it

Edited by Anteater99

55 minutes ago, Irish bayou said:

Just the confidence level. Like I said we’ve had plenty of reps together in Baltimore, not necessarily game reps, but of course preseason reps,” Taylor added. “We work servicing our defense as well to throughout the season. Like I said just the chemistry. I trust him.”

it's all I need to hear .... trust chemistry history? This is how good players become great! (Cutler/alshon Brady/Edelman Stafford/Johnson bortles/ ) not that he's comparable to these dudes but 2 discarded players fighting for their careers reunited on the same team , got to love it!!!

here's a little extra flavor to that ....

The biggest reason why Thompson was able to step in and contribute immediately? Thompson and Taylor have a strong history together on the football field.

Taylor, who hails from Hampton, Va., and Thompson, a native of Belle Glade, Fla., played on the same team in the 2007 U.S. Army All-American game, a showcase featuring the top high school football players in the country.

“Me and Deonte we go back to high school...we were in Baltimore together for a little bit of time, and was actually here for a training camp together,” Taylor said. “I’m comfortable with his ability, I know his strengths, and I’m excited to have him on board. Anytime you have a friend that you know, that you can play with, it’s definitely exciting what he can bring to this offense.”

After playing together in the U.S. Army All-American game, Taylor and Thompson were teammates on the Baltimore Ravens, with Taylor serving as Joe Flacco’s backup from 2011-2014, and Thompson on the roster from 2012-2013.

Following Sunday’s win over the Buccaneers, Buffalo’s third win in three home games, Thompson said the time the QB/WR duo spent as backups in Baltimore really helped them re-establish their strong chemistry on the football field.

“Yep, most definitely. We picked [up] where we left off. [We] were together three years in Baltimore, so we played a lot of ball together,” Thompson said. “We were on scout teams… all through preseason, all through different camps, and it showed today.”

“Just the confidence level. Like I said we’ve had plenty of reps together in Baltimore, not necessarily game reps, but of course preseason reps,” Taylor added. “We work servicing our defense as well to throughout the season. Like I said just the chemistry. I trust him.”

The Bills took a leap of faith when they signed Thompson, who had amassed 11 catches for 125 yards and a touchdown in five games with the Bears this year. Buffalo’s receiving corps needed a shot in the arm, and through one game, Thompson has rewarded the Bills with an impressive performance.

“Last week was just all about me catching up and that’s what we did. I can’t thank my coaches and teammates enough for spending that extra time with me,” Thompson said.

2 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

How does everyone feel about Dede Westbrook? Is he a better stash than Thompson?

Actually had that choice in my 20 team keeper and went with Thompson. This is also because I needed a bye week fill in. The way I look at it is Dede, while talented,  is a rookie chances are most likely he is going to need a year or two to develop. He also has to contend with Lee and Hurns for targets. We don't know if he'll be #1,#2, or #3 in the pecking order. It's not even guaranteed he starts over Cole (I think he will). My point is lots of uncertainty.

On top of that I think Tyrod is a far superior quarterback to Bortles and Thompson has a very clear path to being the WR1 in Buffalo and already has in-game proof he can perform in that role (Westbrook does not).

The bottom line is Westbrook is the sexy pickup and Thompson is not so a lot more people are going to gravitate to him. 

2 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

I generally leave weather predicitions out of my fantasy decisions

Correct. Statistically, there is some effect but much less than match-up, and still less than # of rest days or home advantage.

The only thing to really consider is major wind gusts for QB and kickers (like this weekend in Philly), freezing temperatures for RBs and WRs, and possibly still Defenses in the snow receiving dome teams.

If you wouldn't bench your player for playing away, don't do it for rain.

How we feeling today fellas?  

Edited by phatrat
cool story removed

17 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

I generally leave weather predicitions out of my fantasy decisions. anecdotally i know that benching players because of weather has burned me more than once

my league is CBS and it says buffalo's game is 45 degrees with light showers but obviously someone who lives there would have a better idea what the weather forecast is

and like the other guy said if we are considering starting him we dont have great options anyway, my other choice is fowler and it's a tossup but i'm getting on team deonte this week, reallly liked what i saw in that youtube video, and especially that they used him as a wing on the triple option, i love triple option and wish more nfl teams had the courage to run it

I live about 20 minutes from the stadium and that weather is pretty spot on right now.  It's pretty miserable outside, but the rain is pretty much a drizzle.

3 minutes ago, PBC22 said:

I live about 20 minutes from the stadium and that weather is pretty spot on right now.  It's pretty miserable outside, but the rain is pretty much a drizzle.

thank you! any visibility issues, fog etc?

2 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

thank you! any visibility issues, fog etc?

Nope, visibility should be of no concern.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned previously, but Oakland is down 3 defensive backs in this game, so maybe the rock can get thrown around a little bit.  Buffalo is also down at least 2 starting corners as well.

Deonte is CFL level talent so even backup corners can shut him down completely 

2 catches 20 yards

Just now, gus030 said:

Deonte is CFL level talent so even backup corners can shut him down completely 

2 catches 20 yards

Agree, thats pretty close to what he had last week <_<