dekciw_1

Kawhi Leonard 2017-2018 Season Outlook

For those drafting this weekend ,with the information we have, you are exposing yourself to a lot of risk if you select in the top 7/8. Even missing 5-8 games will have consequences 

• Sad 1

Hmm

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Kawhi Leonard’s quad injury is left over from last season.

Leonard is battling right quad tendinopathy which is a condition that can cause the tendon to tire from overuse. He's been rehabbing the injury all summer, but Popovich said his recovery has gone a "little more slowly" than they were expecting. "He will probably miss the beginning of preseason or a good deal of preseason," Popovich said. "We are not going to put a timetable on it. But he is working on it and we will get him back as soon as we can." Until we get more clarity, it makes sense to move Kawhi down a bit on draft boards.

23 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Hmm

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Kawhi Leonard’s quad injury is left over from last season....miss the beginning of preseason or a good deal of preseason...

That doesn't sound good. He is pretty injury prone.

Just now, Jake the snake said:

That doesn't sound good. He is pretty injury prone.

People keep saying not to worry, but I cant see how anyone can invest a top 10 selection in him. 

buy at discount (e.g. outside of top 8-10; <$50-55), handcuff w/Rudy Gay, and pray :P

1 hour ago, patentboy23 said:

buy at discount (e.g. outside of top 8-10; <$50-55), handcuff w/Rudy Gay, and pray :P

Depending on when your draft takes place and where news is on his progress, I think Kawhi is going to go later or for less than that, second round or closer to $40 IMO.  Just too many stud 1st & 2nd round guys that people take over him or bid up for a higher amount.  It's going to push up borderline 1st rd guys like Wall, Jokic, Cousins, Gobert, Kyrie, CPaul, Jimmy B, Lillard, etc.  

Ah this is a bummer. I love Kawhi, but he has been injury prone in the past (and I if memory serves it's been quad-related before). If the injury lingers over the season and we project say, 65 games played on the year, where would you rank him in both 8 and 9-cat leagues?

Unless there's some positive news that comes out before the regular season starts, it looks like I'll be passing on Kawhi at #9 next week...it could come back to bite me in the a** but I refuse to use high draft picks on guys that are injured right before the season.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I'll be passing on Kawhi at #9 next week

Who is your #8?

1 hour ago, apatas said:

Who is your #8?

I'm not decided yet but I'm looking at taking either Nikola Jokic or Chris Paul with the 9th pick. 

People have underrated Leonard every season...  This one will be no different.  I'll take him in the top 10 no problem.  If he falls to me outside of that even better. 

• Like 1

just got him at 8 so yup, seems people are concerned about that quad

3 hours ago, Quazza said:

just got him at 8 so yup, seems people are concerned about that quad

I think the general concensous oh here is that his quad had people scared to draft him in top 10 let alone at 8. Carry over injury scares me a lot and normally I'm a HUGE Kawhi fan. He is normally underrated fantasy gold...but I'd probably take jokic or cp3 (think he is going to kill it) over him atm in redraft...

I always felt he's much better for Roto than in H2H considering his output and environment. Now with this quad injury, it further supports that.

5 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

I think the general concensous oh here is that his quad had people scared to draft him in top 10 let alone at 8. Carry over injury scares me a lot and normally I'm a HUGE Kawhi fan. He is normally underrated fantasy gold...but I'd probably take jokic or cp3 (think he is going to kill it) over him atm in redraft...

funnily enough I got Cp3 with my 2nd pick

Go figure

I'm #10 in a 16 teamer. Kawhi got me the championship last year! Is he still worth it? My draft is later tonight. I'm not sold on talking Jokic so I'm thinking if Kawhi slides, he'll be my pick!

20 minutes ago, mmart_ph said:

I'm #10 in a 16 teamer. Kawhi got me the championship last year! Is he still worth it? My draft is later tonight. I'm not sold on talking Jokic so I'm thinking if Kawhi slides, he'll be my pick!

If you don’t somebody will - one scenario is you can package him for 2-3 solid assets if you’re not comfy with the rest of your draft

Kawhi's injury really changes the back end of the first round. He was almost a lock for #8 overall. Now I think you are going to see all kinds of picks in H2H. 

24 minutes ago, DrKalikot said:

The injury is just pre-season Pop things. Draft with confidence. Kawhi will be a top 5 fantasy player this year.

You sure? Because Kawhi has been out before with a quad issue.

Is he even in the gym for part of the day putting up shots, or his he a total no-show at practice?

So Kawhi would have played all of 5 games in the Western Conference finals if it wasn't for the ankle, he played 74 out of 82 games of the reg season last year.

He's had 5-6 months to recover from an injury that is 'due to overuse' although it's been the off season.

Does this sound strange to you?

Who's his coach? 

Dr Kal is on the money 

• Like 1