dekciw_1

Kawhi Leonard 2017-2018 Season Outlook

definitely my disappointment this season, I still can't believe I ended up runner up in the finals in my league because I drafted well excluding Kawhi.  

For what it's worth, Kawhi reportedly poured the foundation of his new home in San Antonio this week.

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2018 at 10:53 AM, Meadowlark said:

For what it's worth, Kawhi reportedly poured the foundation of his new home in San Antonio this week.

I actually heard this on local radio too. Not sure what's going on here, who knows...maybe it's a home for him mom??

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spd2base said:

I actually heard this on local radio too. Not sure what's going on here, who knows...maybe it's a home for him mom??

I personally don't think he'll be going anywhere, to be honest. I think there are a lot of outsiders looking at the situation and reading drama where there really isn't much.

13 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

I personally don't think he'll be going anywhere, to be honest. I think there are a lot of outsiders looking at the situation and reading drama where there really isn't much.

Well there is drama. And it's between Kawhi's camp and the Spurs camp in regards to his injury. I personally think his camp is trying to get max money by making sure he doesn't get hurt. SA will pay him supermax and he'll be back IMO, but for Pop, Manu and TP9 to say what they've said about the situation certainly points to some sort of drama. It's just unusual bc it's the Spurs. But he'll drop to 2nd round most likely in FBB and I'll scoop him next season :)

I dunno man.  This is obviously a very serious injury.

It's looking like a Penny, G-Hill type situation.

After this season, I avoid any players with a checkered injury history.  People say, look at Embiid, Beal, Holiday... But I still don't trust these types with their histories.

It's better to get the ironmen who you know will play, even if there production is muted.  I would take Towns over Davis for example.  I would rather sleep well at night.  

• Like 2

Guess you would also rather not come in first either.  

Sometimes you simply have to take the risk and roll the dice.  Sometimes it will pay off and sometimes you will be SOL.  But at least your rolled the dice.

• Like 1

I want players who will play the game.  Who have a consistent record of playing most of the games.

I don't roll the dice.  I never pick players come off major injury in any circumstance.  I have won plenty of competitive leagues with this strategy.  It's not even really a strategy.  It's just common sense.  

Plus the whole fantasy perspective of the Spurs is murky.  I avoid Spurs.  Aldridge has been great though.  

5 hours ago, Deathrow said:

Sometimes you simply have to take the risk and roll the dice.  Sometimes it will pay off and sometimes you will be SOL.  But at least your rolled the dice.

First 3 rounds are not the place to take risks if you want to compete

• Like 3

On 10. 04. 2018. at 6:29 AM, RealityBasketball said:

I dunno man.  This is obviously a very serious injury.

It's looking like a Penny, G-Hill type situation.

After this season, I avoid any players with a checkered injury history.  People say, look at Embiid, Beal, Holiday... But I still don't trust these types with their histories.

It's better to get the ironmen who you know will play, even if there production is muted.  I would take Towns over Davis for example.  I would rather sleep well at night.  

KAT - Dame is my ideal 1st - 2nd pick combo :D 
but that's gonna be impossible after this season... :( 

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2018 at 10:22 AM, Deathrow said:

Go back and read the first few pages of this thread. There were plenty of people warning before the draft not to take a risk in Kawhi this year and to take someone like a Lillard, Lebron, etc at #8 instead. Those who “rolled the dice” on Kawhi.... well we all know what happened to them.

Edited by Purple Hippo

19 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

First 3 rounds are not the place to take risks if you want to compete

Agreed but how many of us knew the severity of his injury when we did our drafts back in October?  Come on now.

This is not like drafting DMC in your first round next year.

Just now, Purple Hippo said:

Go back and read the first few pages of this thread. There were plenty of people warning before the draft not to take a risk in Kawhi this year and to take someone like a Lillard, Lebron, etc at #8 instead. Those who “rolled the dice” on Kawhi.... we’ll we all know what happened to them.

I'll take a look.  I have to admit I did not pay much attention to him since another team had him as their keeper.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Deathrow said:

I'll take a look.  I have to admit I did not pay much attention to him since another team had him as their keeper.

I have to say, I specifically did not draft Kawhi this season because of reading through this thread In October and heeding the warnings of posters like @Code of Hammurabi

Edited by Purple Hippo
  • Like 2

I have to say, I specifically did not draft Kawhi this season because of reading through this thread In October and heeding the warnings of posters like @Code of Hammurabi

Just reading through it now and yes, have to give props to @Code of Hammurabi.  The man called it from day 1.

• Like 1

He was just so beyond risky to me this season and not prudent of a gamble. I was stunned with the lack of information that Managers were taking him over players like LBJ and Lillard with absolute conviction. With the combination of the previous injury, it being the spurs and the lack of information the warning signs were thier for wise GMS to process. 

• Like 1

Just now, Code of Hammurabi said:

He was just so beyond risky to me this season and not prudent of a gamble. I was stunned with the lack of information that Managers were taking him over players like LBJ and Lillard with absolute conviction. With the combination of the previous injury, it being the spurs and the lack of information the warning signs were thier for wise GMS to process. 

Would you target him next season and if so when?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deathrow said:

Would you target him next season and if so when?

Honestly it will depend if hes on the spurs or not for me. I personally haven't drafted a spurs player now in almost 5 years. I just dont like Pop and all of the unpredictability with rest and also with how their system tends to not really in recent years produce a lot of fantasy value (at least to my expectations).

You have to think where their's smoke, their's fire with respect to Leonard being content in San Antonio or not. I've been saying for two years now this team isnt great. They overrate their "system" and ability to produce good/great players from middling talent. IMO, even with a healthy Kahwi, they arent better than GSW, Hou, Utah, and possibly even the Pelicans at full strength. They should strongly consider moving Kahwi and collecting assets for a rebuild. They aren't competing for a chip anytime soon and we all know they aren't an elite Free Agent destination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Honestly it will depend if hes on the spurs or not for me. I personally haven't drafted a spurs player now in almost 5 years. I just dont like Pop and all of the unpredictability with rest and also with how their system tends to not really in recent years produce a lot of fantasy value (at least to my expectations).

You have to think where their's smoke, their's fire with respect to Leonard being content in San Antonio or not. I've been saying for two years now this team isnt great. They overrate their "system" and ability to produce good/great players from middling talent. IMO, even with a healthy Kahwi, they arent better than GSW, Hou, Utah, and possibly even the Pelicans at full strength. They should strongly consider moving Kahwi and collecting assets for a rebuild. They aren't competing for a chip anytime soon and we all know they aren't an elite Free Agent destination. 

Thanks man, appreciate your insight.

Many people have said it in this thread.  You can not gamble in the first 3 rounds of a draft.  Or with so much of your auction budget.  Especially if you play in deep leagues.  Gamble in the later rounds or when you are spending $5 in auction.  

But deathrow, go ahead and roll the dice.  Go for it.  

Completely unrelated, but I hope they trade him to Bucks and somehow keep Jabari. Giannis, Jabari, Kawhi plus Brogdon or Bledsoe, whoever they package or both. I am bucks fan, totally unrelated. Sorry...

You would want to keep Middleton also?

Middleton had an amazing season.  Played all 82, if he plays tonight which I think he is.  

How are people still undervaluing Middleton?  That is crazy to me.  

This is a trade I would like to see:

https://nesn.com/2018/04/nba-rumors-star-believes-celtics-will-trade-for-spurs-kawhi-leonard/

If it happens, Celtics vs  Philly would be an amazing  conference finals  to watch  for years to come.

And before you know it Spurs are back to the elite with the core of Murray, return from Kawhi trade (Tatum, or Brown, or whatever else), elder statesman Aldridge and senior citizen Ginobili.  We all know that Manu will play until he is eligible for old age security