RedDogNamedClippers

Myles Turner 2017-2018 Season Outlook

So how high are we drafting this guy in drafts this year or how much is too much for him in auction? Finished 3rd round last year and now PG13 is out of the picture but they brought in Oladipo. Is 3rd round his ceiling or does he have the potential to be Top 15?

I'll be looking at Myles anytime after pick 15, especially if I end up with a PG in the first round.  His usage should go way up this year so 18-19 ppg is within reach.  Hopefully he can increase his rebounds after being kind of meh as a rebounder last year.  2 BLK and 1 STL with good %'s has him with a pretty safe floor and high ceiling.  I really like Myles this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoogieNights said:

I'll be looking at Myles anytime after pick 15, especially if I end up with a PG in the first round.  His usage should go way up this year so 18-19 ppg is within reach.  Hopefully he can increase his rebounds after being kind of meh as a rebounder last year.  2 BLK and 1 STL with good %'s has him with a pretty safe floor and high ceiling.  I really like Myles this year

Myles took me to a Championship in a 20 team Dynasty League last year. I would rank him anywhere from 11 to 14. Increase in rebounds and borderline top 10. I like him a lot also. And he's only 21. Dynasty target for sure.

46 minutes ago, dino10k said:

Myles took me to a Championship in a 20 team Dynasty League last year. I would rank him anywhere from 11 to 14. Increase in rebounds and borderline top 10. I like him a lot also. And he's only 21. Dynasty target for sure.

Drafting 11-14 means you are drafting him before Jokic and Cousins. That’s accurate?

• Like 1

that's a tough one as both are question marks as the main player... Turner also lost PG and Teague but got Dipo.

- KP has had some injury issues, has shot lower %s but also hits more 3s. He'll also be used as the 4 mostly since the knicks have around 25 big men (Kanter, Willy, KOQ, Noah)

- Turner faded in stretches but I expect more scoring and 3s from him as well. He plays Center w/ only big Al behind him and a rookie

I personally would still go with Turner since I value the %s over the added scoring and 3s

8 minutes ago, jimmy3024 said:

would you guys take Porz or Turner? now that Melo is not with Knicks anymore.

I was wondering the same thing.  I think Porzingis gives you more points for sure but Turner better FG and very slightly more steals...Can't go wrong with either, but if you're sitting there in the middle of round 2...i have no idea who id choose

Me personally Porzingis over Turner. Porzingis, if you’re looking for percentages then I will see where Turner would be higher however, Porzingis has really nobody high on points on that team unless McDermott is going to go off. Pacers have Dipo, Jefferson or Thaddeus who can do work. Plus there was a couple games Turner scored fewer than 10 points a couple games and was just a no show.

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Me personally Porzingis over Turner. Porzingis, if you’re looking for percentages then I will see where Turner would be higher however, Porzingis has really nobody high on points on that team unless McDermott is going to go off. Pacers have Dipo, Jefferson or Thaddeus who can do work. Plus there was a couple games Turner scored fewer than 10 points a couple games and was just a no show.

Are you talking about Al Jefferson? The dude that backs up Turner, plays minutes in the teens (if he is healthy enough to play), and looks ancient on the court with a 3 inch vertical? 

Dipo will get his and aside from him no one but Turner is forcing the issue on getting as many shots as they can handle. Thad will be better this year because he should be fully healthy, but he is a role player. DC will get some but he is an opportunistic scorer and not a guy that shoots until he gets 13-16 points. This is far from a situation like the Wolves or some other super team where there is only one ball and a court full of capable scorers.

Hardaway and Kanter is probably comparable to Dipo and Thad. But the reality is both of these guys are going to eat as much as they possibly can. Their teams won't be very competitive and they will let them score as much as their offensive talents will allow. Health is a slight concern for both of these guys for me. Porzingis having such terrible role players and point guards really worries me because I can see him expending so much energy on offense that he doesn't focus on defense or go for as many blocks. Both of these guys are super exciting young talents and you are probably going to need to take them in the second to own them this year. 

4 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Drafting 11-14 means you are drafting him before Jokic and Cousins. That’s accurate?

He is right after that Jokic/DMC tier 1B centers. In 8 cat those guys have been going top 12 in real drafts. Based on how you want to build you can make an argument for Turner as a top 15 pick. I would want to get him later, but it is either take him with your second pick or be 95% certain you won't be drafting him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I think Porzingis gives you more points for sure but Turner better FG and very slightly more steals...Can't go wrong with either, but if you're sitting there in the middle of round 2...i have no idea who id choose

Well, the main difference between the two is the 3s (Porzingis wins) and fg% (Turner wins).

I see Turner taking about 15 shots a game, which would take his points to about 20/game. He's also showed he is more durable than KP, which is why I'd choose him over Porzingis.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimmy3024 said:

would you guys take Porz or Turner? now that Melo is not with Knicks anymore.

I feel like the Pacers will be completing for a playoff spot because the East is so weak; thus Turner will play as much as he can.

On the other-hand, the Knicks will be one of the worst teams in the NBA. So Porzingod will always be a shut down candidate down the stretch.  And as mentioned above,

Turner is more durable than Porzingis. 

I would take Turner over Porzingis, but it's close.

Edited by benQ

24 minutes ago, benQ said:

I feel like the Pacers will be completing for a playoff spot because the East is so weak; thus Turner will play as much as he can.

On the other-hand, the Knicks will be one of the worst teams in the NBA. So Porzingod will always be a shut down candidate down the stretch.  And as mentioned above,

A shut down candidate on a 22 year old? It’s about development, who shuts down a 22 year old in development stage with no major injury concerns? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, benQ said:

At some point players like KP are going to need to experience the grind of an 82 game season if they have any aspirations of becoming the cornerstone of a playoff team. They shut him down last year in a developmental/tank season. If they shut him down this year at what point are they going to extend him? When the team is finally competitive? So he magically can play and thrive in an 82 games and a postseason when he was never allowed to do it in the past? The postseason is a whole different animal as well. It reminds me of ace pitchers being groomed in the MLB. If they don't throw 200 innings how will they throw 200 innings and dominate in the postseason? KP needs to play and if he continues to break then the Knicks need to limit his international play or move on with a cornerstone that can hold up over 90-100 games in a deep postseason run. I think the chances of a shut down are slim but the injury concern real until proven otherwise. This shut down stuff needs to stop. The Knicks are one player away from the postseason in the East. Let him play. 

18 minutes ago, benQ said:

At some point players like KP are going to need to experience the grind of an 82 game season if they have any aspirations of becoming the cornerstone of a playoff team. They shut him down last year in a developmental/tank season. If they shut him down this year at what point are they going to extend him? When the team is finally competitive? So he magically can play and thrive in an 82 games and a postseason when he was never allowed to do it in the past? The postseason is a whole different animal as well. It reminds me of ace pitchers being groomed in the MLB. If they don't throw 200 innings how will they throw 200 innings and dominate in the postseason? KP needs to play and if he continues to break then the Knicks need to limit his international play or move on with a cornerstone that can hold up over 90-100 games in a deep postseason run. I think the chances of a shut down are slim but the injury concern real until proven otherwise. This shut down stuff needs to stop. The Knicks are one player away from the postseason in the East. Let him play. 

28 minutes ago, benQ said:

8 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

The Knicks are one player away from the postseason in the East. Let him play. 

So the big question is then...Is Jarret Jack that "one player"?

Just now, Jake the snake said:

So the big question is then...Is Jarret Jack that "one player"?

Unfortunately JJ does not qualify. It would have to be a big time talent in the draft or a free agent that still has prime years left. Like a Dennis Smith Jr. type of a player. Honestly, a core of DSJ/Hardaway/KP/Kanter in the East is probably a coin flip for the 8 seed this year. 

1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

Unfortunately JJ does not qualify. It would have to be a big time talent in the draft or a free agent that still has prime years left. Like a Dennis Smith Jr. type of a player. Honestly, a core of DSJ/Hardaway/KP/Kanter in the East is probably a coin flip for the 8 seed this year. 

Stephon Marbury !  /thread

17 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

It was a joke...Jack is terrible. It really is one of life's little pleasures - laughing at the state of the New York Knickerbockers

Just now, Jake the snake said:

It was a joke...Jack is terrible. It really is one of life's little pleasures - laughing at the state of the New York Knickerbockers

I couldn't pass up one more chance to rub DSJ in the face of Knicks fans. I can't believe there was a thread on here pre-draft where Kicks fans legit wanted to pass up DSJ because of attitude. Crazy.

Back to Turner. He is good. 3rd round is great value. You can build with him in the second but the points will need to be compensated for. 

Turner showed some nice passing today... any chance he ups his assists (from the measly 1-2) as more of a focal point? Some out of position assists would be the cherry on top. 

Looks like he finished 14th last year. 24th per game. And now, at age 21, he's being drafted at 27 or lower, at around the same spot as he was last year before he had broken out.

Absolutely stupid. Pick this kid up in the late 2nd wherever you can.

Edited by miasma16

indy has a 3-3-3 playoff sched in yahoo standard playoff weeks (21-23)..something to think about in h2h leagues

15 hours ago, richg24 said:

indy has a 3-3-3 playoff sched in yahoo standard playoff weeks (21-23)..something to think about in h2h leagues

I'm showing IND has a 4-3-3 schedule weeks 21-23.....

can someone confirm if i am looking at the info incorrectly....going to have to fix my list if so...

6 minutes ago, lacit1707 said:

I'm showing IND has a 4-3-3 schedule weeks 21-23.....

can someone confirm if i am looking at the info incorrectly....going to have to fix my list if so...

in yahoo it shows that week 23 starts 03/26/2018 ... if you look at the BBM schedule Grid, that actually corresponds to week 24 on BBM grid (i dunno why this is but this is the case every season).

if you look at the BBM schedule grid under week 24, it shows starting on 03/26/2018 a.k.a. week 23 according to yahoo. so yahoos 21-23 corresponds to 22-24 on BBM, if you look at those 3 weeks Indy has 3-3-3.

Edited by richg24
  • Like 2