Code of Hammurabi

Zach Lavine 2017-2018 Season Outlook

This is a bump down on draft boards for Lavine. I still like him, but maybe not until the 12th or 13rd round. Sitting out until January would mean losing about 37 games which is nearly half the season. 

Zach LaVine (left knee) will not be ready for opening night, according to VP of Basketball Operations, John Paxson.

The Bulls have not committed to an official timetable for LaVine's return, but considering that they're currently going through a rebuild, Chicago management will be in no rush to bring LaVine back to the court. LaVine maintains that he's "very far along" in his recovery from the ACL tear and that he'd like to get back to the court "as soon as possible," but Bulls' reporter Sean HIghkin has speculated that LaVine might not take the court until December or January. With so much uncertainty here, it's tough to justify taking LaVine prior to the later rounds, despite his upside.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:00 PM, Code of Hammurabi said:

This is a bump down on draft boards for Lavine. I still like him, but maybe not until the 12th or 13rd round. Sitting out until January would mean losing about 37 games which is nearly half the season. 

Zach LaVine (left knee) will not be ready for opening night, according to VP of Basketball Operations, John Paxson.

The Bulls have not committed to an official timetable for LaVine's return, but considering that they're currently going through a rebuild, Chicago management will be in no rush to bring LaVine back to the court. LaVine maintains that he's "very far along" in his recovery from the ACL tear and that he'd like to get back to the court "as soon as possible," but Bulls' reporter Sean HIghkin has speculated that LaVine might not take the court until December or January. With so much uncertainty here, it's tough to justify taking LaVine prior to the later rounds, despite his upside.

what if you have ir spots and 8/12 team playoffs (yes ik lame ha) how soon would you feel comfortable taking lavine

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

what if you have ir spots and 8/12 team playoffs (yes ik lame ha) how soon would you feel comfortable taking lavine

I play roto leagues exclusively. I took the plunge on Zach in the 10th round of 2 roto leagues with 1 IR spot. Its more aggressive that I wanted to be, but I think his upside is there to be a featured, max usage type dude by mid February. 

You have to remember though it's an ACL tear so even if he comes back a year or 10 months after the injury, the guy is probably going to be very rusty for a long period of time. It also doesn't help that LaVine relied a lot on his explosive athleticism to create buckets/value for himself which could possibly disappear altogether. 

I hope I'm wrong on this prediction because it always sucks to see potentially great talent disappear like this but this could end up the same way Brandon Jennings' career has taken. 

11 hours ago, tazdingo said:

You have to remember though it's an ACL tear so even if he comes back a year or 10 months after the injury, the guy is probably going to be very rusty for a long period of time. It also doesn't help that LaVine relied a lot on his explosive athleticism to create buckets/value for himself which could possibly disappear altogether. 

I hope I'm wrong on this prediction because it always sucks to see potentially great talent disappear like this but this could end up the same way Brandon Jennings' career has taken. 

ACL and Achilles injuries arent the same thing. In addition, Lavine is a vastly superior talent, skill and athletic ability wise. 

I know he's been saying he'd be ready for opening day, but I don't know of a basketball analyst (fantasy or otherwise) that has been talking about him showing up before January anyway, so what does this really change?  He *might* show up before January.  IT might too.  But owners last week should've been drafting expecting January and they should be drafting today expecting January.  Nothing is different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

ACL and Achilles injuries arent the same thing. In addition, Lavine is a vastly superior talent, skill and athletic ability wise. 

I thought they went through the same injury. Even the news blurb on him back in September 26 mentioned it was an ACL tear. :/

The Bulls have not committed to an official timetable for LaVine's return, but considering that they're currently going through a rebuild, Chicago management will be in no rush to bring LaVine back to the court. LaVine maintains that he's "very far along" in his recovery from the ACL tear and that he'd like to get back to the court "as soon as possible," but Bulls' reporter Sean Highkin has speculated that LaVine might not take the court until December or January. With so much uncertainty here, it's tough to justify taking LaVine prior to the later rounds, despite his upside. Sep 25 - 4:32 PM

doesnt lavine have a crazy work ethic?

i could see him coming back and being just as explosive but i understand the concerns

He’s also only 22 years old, so his youth should be a plus factor in his recovery. As long as he doesn’t come back too soon I think he’ll be back to himself long term. Getting him at 100% this season is unlikely though.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:41 AM, tazdingo said:

I thought they went through the same injury. Even the news blurb on him back in September 26 mentioned it was an ACL tear. :/

The Bulls have not committed to an official timetable for LaVine's return, but considering that they're currently going through a rebuild, Chicago management will be in no rush to bring LaVine back to the court. LaVine maintains that he's "very far along" in his recovery from the ACL tear and that he'd like to get back to the court "as soon as possible," but Bulls' reporter Sean Highkin has speculated that LaVine might not take the court until December or January. With so much uncertainty here, it's tough to justify taking LaVine prior to the later rounds, despite his upside. Sep 25 - 4:32 PM

Right.  Jennings was an achilles.

One example I can think of is Gallo.  He was not himself until the end of the season the year he came back from acl surgery.

"The Bulls recently put Zach LaVine (knee) through a series of drills and tests and reportedly measured his standing verticle as higher than his pre-draft measurements."  Sep 6 - 11:40 AM

How is that possible???

Regardless I have no problem stashing him in dyno for cheap. But I look the other way in redrafts.

3 hours ago, python3 said:

Right.  Jennings was an achilles.

One example I can think of is Gallo.  He was not himself until the end of the season the year he came back from acl surgery.

I stand corrected then. But there you go, evidence of ACL recovery fully taking effect POSSIBLY at the end of the season; by that time, it could be too late to have snatched the WW gem of the season for that spot.

I took him in 10th Rd. Waiting for a month or so to get the highest usage player in my punt FG team at this price seems to be a good idea...

Fred Hoiberg said that Zach LaVine (left knee) has been cleared for "unpredictable movements," but he's still not taking contact.
Hoiberg hinted that LaVine is ahead of schedule in his recovery, but his official timetable putting him back on the court by late-November/early-December has remained unchanged. LaVine has quite a bit of upside, but playing for a team where winning won't be a concern could result in a lot of random rest days. We wouldn't advise rolling the dice on LaVine until the later rounds. Oct 12 - 12:17 PM

15 minutes ago, lpycharles said:
I took him in 10th Rd. Waiting for a month or so to get the highest usage player in my punt FG team at this price seems to be a good idea...

Fred Hoiberg said that Zach LaVine (left knee) has been cleared for "unpredictable movements," but he's still not taking contact.
Hoiberg hinted that LaVine is ahead of schedule in his recovery, but his official timetable putting him back on the court by late-November/early-December has remained unchanged. LaVine has quite a bit of upside, but playing for a team where winning won't be a concern could result in a lot of random rest days. We wouldn't advise rolling the dice on LaVine until the later rounds. Oct 12 - 12:17 PM

I've taken the plunge on Lavine in a couple of leagues and with confidence. There is a lot of sentiment that he wont be "rushed back" and they will be conservative with him. I'm of the persuasion that exact opposite will happen. I think the Bulls will be highly motivated to see what they have before awarding this dude a 5 year, $100,000,000 contract. Hes a RFA after this season. I think owners will get a good 45-50 games out of him playing on all cylinders. In the 10th or 11th rounds you are getting a possible 5th round player for a good chunk of the season. I'm all about that return on investment. Buy..........

• Like 1

He's the only one the Bulls really have. They have a couple guys who may breakout but no question, Lavine is their best player. If you get him on a discount, I'd feel pretty good about it.

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

He's the only one the Bulls really have. They have a couple guys who may breakout but no question, Lavine is their best player. If you get him on a discount, I'd feel pretty good about it.

Where do you see him going and what type of stat line do you see? 

He's going 93rd on ESPN. Anything after 100 is pretty nice. I'd say he puts up 23/4/4 on 44/86% with three 3s and 1.2 steals. I like him a lot on that awful Bulls team.

3 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Where do you see him going and what type of stat line do you see? 

Dude, LaVine is going to be the next Jordan (for Chicago). He will be back by Thanksgiving dropping 25+ 3 triples 5 reb 5 ast and 2 stls. I don't buy the "Chicago will ease him back" narrative. The Chicago organization is the most money hungry of all of the NBA. Yes, they are obviously tanking. But at the same time they still NEED to sell tickets NOW. LaVine is their money maker and ill be dammed if they don't throw him out there for 30+ minutes and tell him to shake that money maker

• Haha 1

Just now, BetterCallHinkie said:

Dude, LaVine is going to be the next Jordan (for Chicago). He will be back by Thanksgiving dropping 25+ 3 triples 5 reb 5 ast and 2 stls. I don't buy the "Chicago will ease him back" narrative. The Chicago organization is the most money hungry of all of the NBA. Yes, they are obviously tanking. But at the same time they still NEED to sell tickets NOW. LaVine is their money maker and ill be dammed if they don't throw him out there for 30+ minutes and tell him to shake that money maker

25, 5, and 5, with 2 steals eh? Wow.

• Like 1

no way lmao. He's not averaging 25 and they're going to be extremely cautious with him. We dont even know if he'll be the same guy after the injury.

I'll stay away.

just beat his timeline so i can use him.  have the incentive to play, FA after all.  pts and 3s, that's all i want from him.

Took him pick 100 which i think is fair. Can't find that type of scoring that late in the draft. Hes basically the Bulls franchise player. Steal if you ask me.

6 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

given their current roster how can he not?

makes it easy for defense to focus on him, plus coming off injury