Code of Hammurabi

Zach Lavine 2017-2018 Season Outlook

37 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

To me this seems like a nearly impossible question to answer because we’ve yet to see Lavine play a single minute with the Bulls. At this point I’d go with Dunn for sure, seems like expecting anything close to Oladipo production from Lavine is pretty damn optimistic.

It could change when Lavine actually plays, but I’m not sure how anyone could justify Lavine over Dunn right now.

Well because Lavine was the MAIN guy in that Butler trade and is going to be the MAIN guy on that roster for sure. I would take Lavine over Dunn everyday even though Dunn has been tearing it up

Edited by Brandayz

11 hours ago, richg24 said:

Dat 3/4/4 playoff schedule in yahoo standard weeks is going to be very juicy in h2h. only 7 teams have a 4/4 schedule in the semis/finals week. having a lot of players on those teams will likely be enough of an advantage to win people weeks that would otherwise be borderline

Can you explain about the 3/4/4 playoff schedule? 

44 minutes ago, matkm said:

Can you explain about the 3/4/4 playoff schedule? 

This just means that most standard leagues have playoffs in certain weeks and 3/4/4 is the number of games in those weeks. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Brandayz said:

Well because Lavine was the MAIN guy in that Butler trade and is going to be the MAIN guy on that roster for sure. I would take Lavine over Dunn everyday even though Dunn has been tearing it up

Yeah, I get it. Lavine has the potential to put up some big numbers for the Bulls, there’s no doubt. At the same time, last season he averaged 37 minutes a game and his numbers don’t really jump off the page, particularly because of his weak defensive stats.

Obviously he’s in a different situation that should feature him more, but that doesn’t always equate to improved fantasy value. Again though, I think the discussion of who has a better long term outlook is pretty meaningless right now, we literally have no idea of Lavines value in Chicago.

4 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

Yeah, I get it. Lavine has the potential to put up some big numbers for the Bulls, there’s no doubt. At the same time, last season he averaged 37 minutes a game and his numbers don’t really jump off the page, particularly because of his weak defensive stats.

Obviously he’s in a different situation that should feature him more, but that doesn’t always equate to improved fantasy value. Again though, I think the discussion of who has a better long term outlook is pretty meaningless right now, we literally have no idea of Lavines value in Chicago.

You also have to look at his age and how rapidly he has developed from season to season. Physically he looks much stronger than last season and he doesn't have a superstar in towns and a chucker in Wiggins to play 3rd fiddle to now. Zach will be to the bulls what oladipo is to the pacers now. He won't be as beast as oladipo because he doesn't have the steals and block capability but the rest of the numbers will be big, no doubt 

• Like 2

Valid points, we need to see him play few games. Let's see what kind of LaVine we get on this star-less team. We need to temper our expectations. 

Edited by XOrad10

9 minutes ago, richg24 said:

You also have to look at his age and how rapidly he has developed from season to season. Physically he looks much stronger than last season and he doesn't have a superstar in towns and a chucker in Wiggins to play 3rd fiddle to now. Zach will be to the bulls what oladipo is to the pacers now. He won't be as beast as oladipo because he doesn't have the steals and block capability but the rest of the numbers will be big, no doubt 

I hope you’re right, I’ve held Lavine for quite a while banking on big numbers when he returns. At the same time, he’s a guy who has relied on his athleticism in the past, and now we’re counting on improved athleticism coming off a major knee surgery?

Again, I completely see why people are excited for him and why there’s hype, but I think some of the expectations are a bit too high.

20 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

I hope you’re right, I’ve held Lavine for quite a while banking on big numbers when he returns. At the same time, he’s a guy who has relied on his athleticism in the past, and now we’re counting on improved athleticism coming off a major knee surgery?

Again, I completely see why people are excited for him and why there’s hype, but I think some of the expectations are a bit too high.

I agree, We have to remember exactly this. 

But at the same time too, Jabari came back last year from an acl tear (iirc) and he was posting very nice numbers before going down again. We've just got to wait and see how lavine does when he gets back. Maybe move him for a decent piece after he strings along a few good games?

I think McCollum is a better comp for his skill set.  Oladipo gets stocks.

1 minute ago, python3 said:

I think McCollum is a better comp for his skill set.  Oladipo gets stocks.

Oladipo also was in an entirely different situation. Westbrook killed his fantasy value. It would have been a better comparison if Rubio wasn't the one to give up his stats on the wolves. When lavine made that jump, Rubio basically took a back seat to him.

• Like 1

Obvious guess would be FG% and TO gets worse but PPG and asst increase.  in MIN he had Towns and Wiggins putting up 18-19 FGA per game, there's no one on the Bulls that will do that, which means the Lavine should be getting 20-ish FGA compared to his 15 before, but with that comes more defensive pressure faced.   Optimistically, I'm thinking: 22pt, 44%, 3 threes, 3.5b, 5a, 1, 0.1, 2.5 TO.      

Well, this is interesting:

He reiterated that LaVine must be ready to run with the starters and the reserves because as his minutes increase, there’s a chance he could see time at the point with the second unit.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/to-start-or-not-to-start-remains-the-question-with-zach-lavines-bulls-debut/

8 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

Have they not seen what point guard Lavine experiment was like in Minnesota!? It didn't work out well.

This is so stupid - Dunn owner.

Never mind - It said 2nd unit. Alright. Then by all means.

Edited by Trench Mob

9 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Have they not seen what point guard Lavine experiment was like in Minnesota!? It didn't work out well.

This is so stupid - Dunn owner.

Never mind - It said 2nd unit. Alright. Then by all means.

Lol I'm a Dunn owner also. Would have been a horrible statement if they didn't include 2nd unit. I'm interested to see how it works out. I could use all the assists I can get.

No please no point guard. All that means is probably 2 more assists and more turnovers. Just stick to a combo 2 guard, it's what he does best. 

• Like 1

Rubio owner last year. And the stretch of games where Lavine played PG were just horrendous. He is no PG - has no passing game and imo no good ball handling.

19 hours ago, richg24 said:

No please no point guard. All that means is probably 2 more assists and more turnovers. Just stick to a combo 2 guard, it's what he does best. 

Said by no one, ever, in 8 cat leagues. 

20 hours ago, richg24 said:

Isn't a combo guard someone that plays some point guard?

1 minute ago, python3 said:

I just mean he is fine as an off guard that plays get run through but not as a traditional pg to bring up the ball and direct all the facilitating. Let Dunn keep doing that. Lavine excels as a sg that's a secondary playmaker. As someone said when he played some pg on the wolves he was awful it reduced his fg% a lot and a lot more turnovers without a large increase in assists. 

3 minutes ago, python3 said:

Yes.

Combo= 1-2

Swingman= 2-3

Tweener= 3-4

4-5?  Just big?  I dunno.

Edited by Tom Chambers