Stallion

Aaron Gordon 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Is this the year he finally breaks out and lives up to all his potential? Or does he not build upon his strong finish to 16-17? No longer has to fight for minutes at his best position (PF).

Edited by Stallion

I really like Gordon as a 4 that can just use athleticism to score. His limited blocks is what concerns me most. He is a big that will cost a 5-6 round pick doesn't move the needle in 3's and blocks. You just need to build around that. 

• Like 1

My biggest concern with Gordon is that he doesn't use his athleticism to get steals or blocks (like Blake Griffin), doesn't have crazy court vision and is a pretty poor three point shooter. He'll almost certainly increase in boards and points and shouldn't hurt you in %'s, but I think his fantasy ceiling is limited by 3's/blocks/steals. Historically, only 3's can increase dramatically as a player gets more years under his belt. Most players show what they are in stocks in their first few seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stallion said:

My biggest concern with Gordon is that he doesn't use his athleticism to get steals or blocks (like Blake Griffin), doesn't have crazy court vision and is a pretty poor three point shooter. He'll almost certainly increase in boards and points and shouldn't hurt you in %'s, but I think his fantasy ceiling is limited by 3's/blocks/steals. Historically, only 3's can increase dramatically as a player gets more years under his belt. Most players show what they are in stocks in their first few seasons.

I think Gordon is an athlete trying to become a basketball player. That seems to be getting more common in the draft this past decade, and that transition/development takes time. He needs to learn to shoot. Blake did it, I think he can if he works at it. But just because you can jump out of the gym doesn't mean you can block a shot. He was mismanaged as a 3. I think he can be 18/9ish, but it will be a little hollow.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I think Gordon is an athlete trying to become a basketball player. That seems to be getting more common in the draft this past decade, and that transition/development takes time. He needs to learn to shoot. Blake did it, I think he can if he works at it. But just because you can jump out of the gym doesn't mean you can block a shot. He was mismanaged as a 3. I think he can be 18/9ish, but it will be a little hollow.  

I think this will be the year to buy. He is getting underdrafted at least in the 2 drafts I had so far this year. He had some monster games and generally improved once he started playing the 4 full time. I believe he is still the best prospect on that terrible Magic team and has no competition for minutes. I got him at pick 100 in a 16 team league which I believe is solid value. Stocks could use some work but I believe the points and rebounds at least should spike up. Perfect fit for punt assists teams.

19 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

I think this will be the year to buy. He is getting underdrafted at least in the 2 drafts I had so far this year. He had some monster games and generally improved once he started playing the 4 full time. I believe he is still the best prospect on that terrible Magic team and has no competition for minutes. I got him at pick 100 in a 16 team league which I believe is solid value. Stocks could use some work but I believe the points and rebounds at least should spike up. Perfect fit for punt assists teams.

He just went 65 in my draft. Massive difference between 65 and 100. I am most definitely a buyer at 100. 

Edited by thezing1

I got him with my last pick in the 13th round lol. Nobody was touching him. If he can keep up the post asb production from last year he might end up being my best value pick 

18 minutes ago, fabrar said:

I got him with my last pick in the 13th round lol. Nobody was touching him. If he can keep up the post asb production from last year he might end up being my best value pick 

That's pretty crazy... there's nothing that says he will be close to undraftable. Even in the worse case scenario.

7 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

undrafted in 2 of your drafts? are those 2 drafts 8 teams league?

Aaron Gordon has pretty good upside and he show it last season post ASB. As many stated above if magic can play gordon as a 4 he should produce good numbers.

Edited by ber

43 minutes ago, ber said:

undrafted in 2 of your drafts? are those 2 drafts 8 teams league?

Aaron Gordon has pretty good upside and he show it last season post ASB. As many stated above if magic can play gordon as a 4 he should produce good numbers.

You misread my post, I said underdrafted. It also clearly states that it was a 16 team league. 

Anyway, hoping for an awesome ride this year with AG. First time owner here and excited - hopefully he can produce. 

3 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

You misread my post, I said underdrafted. It also clearly states that it was a 16 team league. 

Anyway, hoping for an awesome ride this year with AG. First time owner here and excited - hopefully he can produce. 

my bad! picking gordon at around 100th pick is pretty good value imo! if all goes well gordon should put up top 50 numbers.

Edited by ber

24 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

Its crazy, he would be basically borderline undrafted in a 12 teamer.

1 hour ago, ber said:

my bad! picking gordon at around 100th pick is pretty good value imo! if all goes well gordon should put up top 50 numbers.

The numbers might say top 50 on a player rater, but you need to build properly around him. His lack of 3's and stocks from a big is something you can't overlook when you build. You need to address that at some point to compensate. Reference Puzz Beterson's thread on blocks and realize you need to apply his logic if you draft Gordon.

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

The numbers might say top 50 on a player rater, but you need to build properly around him. His lack of 3's and stocks from a big is something you can't overlook when you build. You need to address that at some point to compensate. Reference Puzz Beterson's thread on blocks and realize you need to apply his logic if you draft Gordon.

you talk like people are drafting gordon in the first 3 rounds. Gordon is a late round pick that people pick him for his upside and IF he really play to his potential, you are getting a late round pick for 5th round value. That is pretty good risk/reward to help you win your league.

1 minute ago, ber said:

you talk like people are drafting gordon in the first 3 rounds. Gordon is a late round pick that people pick him for his upside and IF he really play to his potential, you are getting a late round pick for 5th round value. That is pretty good risk/reward to help you win your league.

He just went 65th in my most recent draft. That is a mid 6th pick that we seem to say has 5th round upside. He isn't a late round pick and I see no way he consistently lasts until the later rounds as the season approaches. He is going to cost a mid round pick. 

4 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

He just went 65th in my most recent draft. That is a mid 6th pick that we seem to say has 5th round upside. He isn't a late round pick and I see no way he consistently lasts until the later rounds as the season approaches. He is going to cost a mid round pick. 

I wouldn't spend a 6th round pick on gordon myself, but i see why people pick him there. Last yr when gordon play 4 full time, he avg about 17pts, 7rebs, 2assts,1stls, 1 3s, 0.5 blocks, 50% FG,80% FT and 1.5 TO ish. That is a very good player at 6th round which won't hurt you anywhere and give you a little of everything. perfect glue guy for any teams.

Edited by ber

15 minutes ago, ber said:

I wouldn't spend a 6th round pick on gordon myself, but i see why people pick him there. Last yr when gordon play 4 full time, he avg about 17pts, 7rebs, 2assts,1stls, 1 3s, 0.5 blocks, 50% FG,80% FT and 1.5 TO ish. That is a very good player at 6th round which won't hurt you anywhere and give you a little of everything. perfect glue guy for any teams.

I agree with all of this. Just highlighting that if you want him don't wait on a discounted price and plan on paying close to fair price for him. 6th round seems very fair for him. 

5 hours ago, rob0403 said:

That's pretty crazy... there's nothing that says he will be close to undraftable. Even in the worse case scenario.

It’s a combination of factors. No one in my league really watches Orlando games and they stopped following Gordon altogether after his admittedly crappy first half of the season. Most of them probably don’t even know that he was balling out post asb so no one touched him. I’m looking forward to seeing how he does as a full time PF for an entire season. If he can add some more stocks he can be a top 50 player 

Advice: As expected, the Magic deployed him as their small-ball four after his strong post-break run in that spot last season. Gordon has clearly worked on his perimeter shooting after hitting 28.8 percent from deep last season, though he did make just 2-of-4 from the line tonight. Entering his age-23 season, Gordon has breakout written all over him.

(Rotoworld.com)

Let's agree to agree

Call me crazy, but, if used correctly (VERY important)  I think this guy is going balls out this season. Wouldn't surprise me if he averages something like 16/9/1.5/1/1.5 on good %'s or even better. Biggest sleeper this year along with Gary Harris IMO

• Like 1

While this is all wishful thinking and highly unplausible - if Gordon completely busts out and figures out the FT% part, a Gordon who gives you what he did in the final 6 games of the season is basically a 1st round pick.. that is frightening for a guy going in the 6th-7th. There really aren't many guys there giving that kind of upside (if any?). 

19 / 8 / 2 / 1.3 / .5 with 1.7 3's, 50% FG, 93% FT. If he upped the blocks he's basically a slightly lesser prime Shawn Marion (who was always picked top 3 in fantasy).

Again much hype. I have seen it many-many times before at Rotoworld forums - one player is hyped, other one is hated, but finally they finish almost even in BBM rankings. Gordon has been always a "sweetheart" of the members and for this reason I always correct my prerank by "antyhype rule". It means I put too much hyped players lower in my prerank. I have certain rules before draft and one of these is: "Don't believe on hype".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, apatas said:

Again much hype. I have seen it many-many times before at Rotoworld forums - one player is hyped, other one is hated, but finally they finish almost even in BBM rankings. Gordon has been always a "sweetheart" of the members and for this reason I always correct my prerank by "antyhype rule". It means I put too much hyped players lower in my prerank. I have certain rules before draft and one of these is: "Don't believe on hype".

Gotta agree here, a lot of players get over hyped I am not sure i am seeing the leap others are with Gordon. this will be year 4 for him..most 'big' leaps happen in Year 2 or 3 correct?

I fully underrstand that hype is caused by Gordon's good final two months at last season when he was moved to PF position. But nevertheless expectations are too high. Gordon should be drafted somewhere around 7th (+1 or -1) round.

I've seen some people be really bullish on him in early drafts. I've seen him go as high at the 5th round which for me leaves very little room to earn an acceptable return given the investment. I'd be willing to take a shot on him in round 7/8, but I doubt he'll be around at that Valuation.