Nightfall

Giannis Antetokounmpo 2017-2018 Season Outlook

14 hours ago, mas10 said:

Giannis can’t handle the ball if they have Bledsoe on the floor. Bledsoe can’t knock down a shot to save his life!

Well said.  Look like I said before, Giannis is so talented that he's going to be a top 5 fantasy player if healthy regardless of his teammates. 

However if you asked me three weeks ago, "Theoretically which player out of anyone in the NBA coming to the Bucks would hurt Giannis the most?", I'd have said Eric Bledsoe (with Carmelo Anthony a close 2nd).

1.  Bledsoe is a shoot-first/shoot-second type of point guard who is not good at getting others involved.  He's never averaged more than 6.3 assists per game, which is an incredible stat for a point guard in today's game, especially one who played 35 minutes a game and had the ball in hands all the time in Phoenix.

2.  Even though Giannis is obviously a far better player, Bledsoe is a star-wannabe in his own mind and has a gigantic ego, so he's never going to just defer to Giannis.

3.  Bledsoe is a very poor outside shooter, a significant downgrade from Brogdon shooting wise.  Bledsoe making less open shots from the outside compared to Brogdon is going to drag Giannis's assists down a little.

4.  Furthermore, teams don't have to respect Bledsoe's 3 point shot (career 33% 3 PT shooter compared to Brogdon's 42%), so it will be easier for them to clog the paint when Giannis drives to the basket

5.  Bledsoe has such a poor team attitude (as we saw in Phoenix), that Jason Kidd knows that if he were to move Bledsoe to the bench and start Brogdon, Bledsoe would be whining, demanding a trade, and causing all types of problems in the locker room.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KaanYeez said:

Not only is his scoring down since the arrival of bledsoe, but his fg% has fallen off a cliff.

you have no idea what you are talking about. he's missing wide open shots at the rim and he's settling for jumpers

he's missed about 5 jumpers and 3-4 gimmes at the rim

Edited by taenggg

2 minutes ago, taenggg said:

you have no idea what you are talking about. he's missing wide open shots at the rim and he's settling for jumpers

He's 31/76 over his last four......

4 minutes ago, KaanYeez said:

Not only is his scoring down since the arrival of bledsoe, but his fg% has fallen off a cliff.

That's because the Bucks have no floor spacing with Bledsoe (career 33% 3 PT shooter) instead of Brogdon (career 42% 3 PT shooter).  Teams don't even have to honor Bledsoe's 3 point shot so it's easier to pack the lane against Giannis when he drives.

3 minutes ago, KaanYeez said:

memphis and pistons are a good defensive team. 

one of the main problems is henson literally clogs up the paint which makes it a lot more difficult for giannis to get to the rim. when thon was starting  he was there to space the floor at the 3 point line. teams can throw doubes and triples at giannis more frequently.

5 minutes ago, KaanYeez said:

I still think Giannis will finish the year as a top 5 player.  But it's clear that the Bledsoe acquisition has hurt his value both in terms of efficiency (because of much worse floor spacing with Bledsoe compared to Brogdon) and usage (because Bledsoe is a selfish shoot-first point guard).  

Before Bledsoe, I thought Giannis would finish #1 overall this year.  Now, I'd prefer Durant or Curry over him and maybe Harden too.

Edited by FootballFan101

4 minutes ago, taenggg said:

memphis and pistons are a good defensive team. 

one of the main problems is henson literally clogs up the paint which makes it a lot more difficult for giannis to get to the rim. when thon was starting  he was there to space the floor at the 3 point line. teams can throw doubes and triples at giannis more frequently.

Henson was starting against Cleveland on Nov 7 when Giannis scored 40 points on 16 of 21 shooting.

C'mon, it's obvious that it is Bledsoe that is the difference.  Pretty clear difference in the games with and without Bledsoe.

4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Henson was starting against Cleveland on Nov 7 when Giannis scored 40 points on 16 of 21 shooting.

C'mon, it's obvious that it is Bledsoe that is the difference.  Pretty clear difference in the games with and without Bledsoe.

1 game and cleveland plays terrible defense. and henson also started november 1st and 3rd. giannis shot 5/16 and 13/27. 

bledsoe is taking 12 shots per game. the notion that he is just selfishly chucking is false. he is passing the ball and giving giannis plenty of looks. brogdon obviously spaces the floor better then bledsoe, but bledsoe is still keeping the defense honest.

compare this to henson, a big body who takes up space in the paint, doesn't run the floor and  whose only use is to block shots, screening and taking shots at the rim.  

giannis entire game is living in the paint and transition buckets. without thon's shooting and spacing (even though he's horrible), its making it harder for him to get to the rim esp in  half court offense

hell they can't even run a proper bled and giannis pnr because henson and his man are always in the paint

30 minutes ago, taenggg said:

1 game and cleveland plays terrible defense. and henson also started november 1st and 3rd. giannis shot 5/16 and 13/27. 

bledsoe is taking 12 shots per game. the notion that he is just selfishly chucking is false. he is passing the ball and giving giannis plenty of looks. brogdon obviously spaces the floor better then bledsoe, but bledsoe is still keeping the defense honest.

compare this to henson, a big body who takes up space in the paint, doesn't run the floor and  whose only use is to block shots, screening and taking shots at the rim.  

giannis entire game is living in the paint and transition buckets. without thon's shooting and spacing (even though he's horrible), its making it harder for him to get to the rim esp in  half court offense

hell they can't even run a proper bled and giannis pnr because henson and his man are always in the paint

Thon Maker is averaging 4.5 points per game on 32% three point shooting.  I find it hard to believe any opponent was letting Giannis drive to the hoop because they were more scared of giving Thon Maker an open 3 point shot.

30 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Thon Maker is averaging 4.5 points per game on 32% three point shooting.  I find it hard to believe any opponent was letting Giannis drive to the hoop because they were more scared of giving Thon Maker an open 3 point shot.

you're missing the entire point. giannis can't shoot period. his game revolves around scoring in the paint. when you have another big taking up that space it makes it more difficult to score and get to the rim. 

why don't you name me one team in the nba right now that is successfully trotting out two 6'10 bigs that can't shoot worth a lick. there's a reason almost every single team is playing with a forward or big who can stretch the floor. 

33 minutes ago, The Unknown said:

What slump? 

31/76 in his last 4, ppg down 7 since the arrival of bledsoe. The guy is in a “slump” for all intents and purposes. He is a far cry from the Giannis that was drafted #1 overall in most cases - which he played to his ADP up until the trade.

The shot attempts are the same or identical.... He's just not hitting it.... Turnovers are down than what he was originally putting up...Once he gets the ball to drop it'll be even better lines.....Keep in mind teams are now double and triple teaming the kid more often too....He'll break it down soon 

Edited by The Unknown

7 hours ago, taenggg said:

you're missing the entire point. giannis can't shoot period. his game revolves around scoring in the paint. when you have another big taking up that space it makes it more difficult to score and get to the rim. 

why don't you name me one team in the nba right now that is successfully trotting out two 6'10 bigs that can't shoot worth a lick. there's a reason almost every single team is playing with a forward or big who can stretch the floor. 

I'm not disagreeing about that.  I'm disagreeing about Maker (averaging 4.5 points per game on 32% shooting) being a threat offensively that stretches the floor.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'm not disagreeing about that.  I'm disagreeing about Maker (averaging 4.5 points per game on 32% shooting) being a threat offensively that stretches the floor.

He's a career 36% shooter from deep, that's good enough that it forces someone to guard you out there. Basically the same as percentage as Towns. He doesn't get high volume due to his teammates being better offensively and being under 20 mpg, but that doesn't mean defenses should give him the Tony Allen treatment.