• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Philzilla

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Noticed that no one started a thread. Is this guy the most hated man in fantasy basketball this year? Just saw a blurb saying that he's the starting PF going into camp and may play some C. I fell for the hype last year, but seeing as how we're always looking for value, RHJ might have some this season at his rock bottom ADP. He also put together a useful last month of the season last year. His FG% was terrible last year, but  playing closer to the basket as a PF might help. Aaron Gordon type situation? Any buyers?

Wanted to add the table where it shows the growth in percentage per category. The ones which look like there's an abnormal increase in production, are often based on the production he put up as a PF. The stats haven't been based on a increase to 28 mpg (might be closer to 26mpg) as much as they're based on prior stats and production during last couple of months of the past season:

rhj.jpg

Edited by PuzzBeterson

At power forward if he can get 30 minutes a game he can easily be a 10 and 10 guy with a block and a steal. That's valuable in my head to head points league but it's also really likely he splits minutes with booker somewhere around the neighborhood of 22 to 24 mins a game. 

Puzz, you should work for a fantasy website or magazine. Great analysis. I took a chance in the 12th round. Really no chance at all in my mind.

• Like 2

Rondae’s real strength is defensively, getting rebounds, steals, being able to guard big guys, small guys, his versatility defensively. We needed help on defense. That was the thought on putting him at the four,” Atkinson said.

“The proof’s in the pudding. We got better defensively, it was better for his game. … Now we’re more balanced. It’ll give us more versatility throwing DeMarre at the four sometimes and Rondae can go to the five.

“That’s where this league is going. That’s very possible. You could see that. He’s got a 7-3 wingspan. That’s damn near Draymond Green-type length. I know everybody looks at him [as 6’7”]. I don’t think we should be looking at him that way,” Atkinson said, changing from a vertical motion to a horizontal one. “What is your length like? His length translates into rebounds and steals.”

By all accounts, the Nets put in an “intense” practice Wednesday.

“[The theme was] compete. This is a high-intensity day,” Atkinson said. “We competed in a lot of drills. Between teaching, fundamentals and live play, we broke it down 3-on-3 stuff and finished up full-court. It was hard. DeMarre [Carroll] came up to me and said that was one of the hardest practices. That was the plan.”

It’s a great opportunity for me, especially to play with one of the coaches who helped my game,” Carroll told beat writers. “I’m just actually excited to be healthy and to be here and play with these guys.”

1 hour ago, theantishere said:

Any chance this guy developed some kind of jump shot we haven't heard about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, theantishere said:

Any chance this guy developed some kind of jump shot we haven't heard about?

Who knows if his shot will have improved, but hopefully moving closer to the basket will have improved his FG%. His FT% ticked up from .720 to .750 last year, so it's not like he can't shoot at all. Might just be a mechanics issue.

If he were to get C eligibility, and/or average closer to 2 steals a game (like we all thought he would last year) his value would skyrocket IMO.

• Like 1

Welp, picked him up at #151 overall in a 14-team 9-cat H2H.

Even if I only consider 8 rebounds and 1.5 steals, he's worth holding. I'm low on C players, so if he gets eligibility that would be greeeaat. But ESPN is really slow at that sort of thing.

You can tell he's worked on his offensive game. He's much more confident than last year and his mid range jumper is looking a lot better.

Somehow this dude ends up on all my teams, mock or real. Guess it's my affinity for undervalued stocks haha

Very confident in that midrange jumper indeed. Was very confident in himself on both offense and defense. 

10 pts on 5/9 fg, 8 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 2 to in 24 minutees. Pretty much in line with what I expect him to do this season. 

26 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

10 pts on 5/9 fg, 8 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 2 to in 24 minutees. Pretty much in line with what I expect him to do this season. 

Wow, that would be gold ....

How much Trevor Booker can "eat" into his minutes? Last season it was 50-50 timeshare. Booker is also good rebounder.

Not. Believe it or not, Booker is expected to play backup C as well. But he's not a starter. I can see him and Acy come off the bench as eergy hustle guys. Rondae is their starter at PF. I calculated the stats I predicted based on the assumption Rondae would play approx 26 minutes a game. Slightly more than what he did last year. He should be getting more than that in actuality.

1 hour ago, GrandGourou said:

Wow, that would be gold ....

Solid gold at that...

Basketball Ref just released their 2017-2018 projections. They have RHJ at:

13.7 pts, .448%fg, 0.4 3pt, 9.2 reb, 3.1 ast, 1.8stl, 0.9blk and 2.2 to with .756%ft at 4.8 attempts per 36.

10.6 pts, .448%fg, 0.3 3pt, 7.2 reb, 2.4 ast, 1.4 stl, 0.7 blk and 1.7 to with .756%ft at 3.7 if he'd play 28 mpg.

They're just a tad more conservative than my prediction:

12.5 pts on 46% fg, 0.25/1.2 3pt (21%), 3.7/4.8 FT (77%), 2 ORB/5.8 DRB (7.8 tot), 2.9 ast,  1.6 stl, 0.8 blk, 2 to, 2.2 PF.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/holliro01.html

On 9/28/2017 at 11:26 PM, PuzzBeterson said:

He said that last year, too. Don't hold your breath. 

23 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Somehow this dude ends up on all my teams, mock or real. Guess it's my affinity for undervalued stocks haha

I drafted him tonight (Round 12 out of 13) and I drafted him last year too.  I didn't end up keeping him on my team since he was pretty much a disappointment, but I think he will be sticking around this season.  Oddly, he ended up being my starting SF, but he should be a very nice compliment regardless of where he is in our lineups.

9 hours ago, miasma16 said:

He said that last year, too. Don't hold your breath. 

It's true, but he's not as awkward on pull up jumpers as last year.. also a small sample, one game.

But the possible 7 rebounds with 2 assists, steals, and a sprinkle of blocks is definitely worth a flier for round 11+

The guys he's been matched up with mostly this preseason thus far (with Porz and Olynyk being much taller):

STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
J. JohnsonPF 23 1-4 0-3 0-1 1 4 5 2 1 0 2 2 -8 2

K. OlynykC 25 3-9 1-6 0-1 1 3 4 0 2 2 2 2 -8 7

STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
K. PorzingisPF 22 6-14 0-1 3-3 1 4 5 1 1 2 0 3 -1

Edited by PuzzBeterson
  • Like 1

Funny on the thad young comparision. 

I cant decide which to keep on my team.  With Paul Goerge gone Thad Young might boost back up to 13-16 points 7-9 boards 1.5 steals 2 assist and .5 blocks. 

With Rondae I could see the potential but there is some uncertainty.  He can definitely get 12 points 6 boards 3 assist 1 steal and 1 block a game. 

But I feel like the more seasoned vet on the tail end of his prime would be the more secured pick. 

Nonetheless I will take the flyer on Rondae even tho Thad Young looks like the more safe pick in terms of similar players.