EmbargoLifted

2018 First Rounders Discussion

9 minutes ago, exm said:

SS is shallow?

I believe Lindor, Seager, and Andrus will be only other top 100 players

but do you really want to bet on an Andrus repeat?

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

4 minutes ago, exm said:

SS is shallow?

Depends on how you look at it.  There are very few high end ones (Turner, Correa, Lindor, Seager).  I didn't include Andrus because I doubt he repeats the HRs and RBIs.

The position is riddled with question marks like either health issues (Cozart, Segura, Nunez, even Turner) or doubts about production going forward (DeJong, Bogaerts, Anderson, Polanco, or even Andrus repeating).  It may not be quite as bad as it's been recently, but there are still only a handful of them that I would actually keep in a keeper league,

16 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Depends on how you look at it.  There are very few high end ones (Turner, Correa, Lindor, Seager).  I didn't include Andrus because I doubt he repeats the HRs and RBIs.

The position is riddled with question marks like either health issues (Cozart, Segura, Nunez, even Turner) or doubts about production going forward (DeJong, Bogaerts, Anderson, Polanco, or even Andrus repeating).  It may not be quite as bad as it's been recently, but there are still only a handful of them that I would actually keep in a keeper league,

19 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I believe Lindor, Seager, and Andrus will be only other top 100 players

but do you really want to bet on an Andrus repeat?

didi? segura? story as a bounce back?

didi  missed a month and had 73 runs 25 hr 87 rbi with a 287 avg

he just doesnt steal

My .02

1) I think people are forgetting just how good Carlos Correa was in the first half.  .325 batting avg and a near 1.000 OPS.  Aside from that, his counting stats could be ridiculous batting 3rd ahead of Springer and Altuve.  He had 65 RBIs in the first half.  He slowed down but was that a natural regression or due to his injury recovery?

(About Depth at SS - people are forgetting 2017 breakthrough Marwin Gonzalez).

2)  Gary Sanchez just has to be in consideration somewhere in the late 1st round to early 2nd round.  Getting production from your catcher really made a lot of people's fantasy seasons.  I think Sanchez has to be on a disproportionate list of fantasy champions this year.  There is just no depth at catcher.

3) Mookie betts no longer deserves first round status after this stinker of a season.  24 HRs just ain't what it used to be.  He's like 26th among qualified outfielders at HRs and 75th among qualified position players.  And that's with him being healthy almost all year long.  He repeats his 2017 year again and he will bury you. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

didi? segura? story as a bounce back?

didi  missed a month and had 73 runs 25 hr 87 rbi with a 287 avg

he just doesnt steal

I'd consider all 3 question marks, with Segura (who I did mention) being the best of the three if he can stay healthy for once.  Didi is solid.  He's never been known as a power hitter though, so I don't know he improves much there even with a full season.  Still, a solid guy if you end up missing out on the handful of elite ones.  Story could bounce back I suppose, but there's a lot of work there.  His strikeout rate is insanely bad, and it's not like it was very good in his rookie season either.  Almost as big of an issue with him is the fact that he hits horrible outside of Coors, once again even in his rookie season.  I definitely wouldn't take him as my starting SS, but maybe as a flier late in the draft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

3) Mookie betts no longer deserves first round status after this stinker of a season.  24 HRs just ain't what it used to be.  He's like 26th among qualified outfielders at HRs and 75th among qualified position players.  And that's with him being healthy almost all year long.  He repeats his 2017 year again and he will bury you. 

I’ll take Mookie again in the first round please. Definitely wouldn’t have won the ship in Roto without him. Just double-checked, even though I already knew he was the only one- but I can’t find anyone else with 20 homers 100 runs 20 steals and 100 RBIs. I’m pretty sure everyone on this forum is smarter to ignore BABIP- and that zero people here lost a title bc of Mook’s shortcomings this year (BA and HR)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dodgers said:

I agree with you for the most part.  We can find many players that when you make benchmarks for stats they can sound good like only J. Altuve can match L. Cain this year with atleast 15 hr, 26 sb, and 360 + obp. D. Gordon is the only player with atleast 114 runs, 2 hr's, and 60 sb's. 

Thats the most arbitrary benchmarks ever; especially when dee Gordon is the ONLY player with sixty steals.

20-100-20-100 are pretty standard bearing numbers 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dodgers said:

You can  always find stats that only a few guys can do if you leave some of them out is my point. Don't leave out OBP or BA for Betts. 

or OPS

5 hours ago, 6Kill said:

I’ll take Mookie again in the first round please. Definitely wouldn’t have won the ship in Roto without him. Just double-checked, even though I already knew he was the only one- but I can’t find anyone else with 20 homers 100 runs 20 steals and 100 RBIs. I’m pretty sure everyone on this forum is smarter to ignore BABIP- and that zero people here lost a title bc of Mook’s shortcomings this year (BA and HR)

I came in 2nd by 1 point in a 14 team dynasty 6x6 league where OPS is the 6th hitting cat.

Mookie's OPS in 2016 was .897 and it dropped to .803 this year.  A drop of .094 points ... yeah ... that's a lot.

my team finished in 6th place in OPS and trailed 5th place by .001 and 4th place by .002

You can change your "zero people" to at least 1 person.

15 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I would pick Trea Turner ahead of Betts. 

I would, too.

Better surrounding offense, middle infield eligibility, and the potential to triple Mookie's steals totals. 

21 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I came in 2nd by 1 point in a 14 team dynasty 6x6 league where OPS is the 6th hitting cat.

Mookie's OPS in 2016 was .897 and it dropped to .803 this year.  A drop of .094 points ... yeah ... that's a lot.

my team finished in 6th place in OPS and trailed 5th place by .001 and 4th place by .002

Meh. There was a year I lost fantasy basketball by one point... Not just a roto point but an actual nba point. I could say I lost my league based on any missed shot any of my players missed that year.

In 2016 Jose Altuve was largely projected to score over 40 steals and ended up with 30, yet he was the number one player on the player rater. I'm sure he lost some people some leagues too by not get paid couple more steals.

I stand by Mookie didn't realistically  lose anyone their leagues. He did more good than bad.  I don't really care what anyone does in their leagues, but I'd advise not passing on him next year just because of a subpar (by his standards) year. If you really like someone else better, by all means.

Altuve Betts  was a big debate last off season for the number 2 pick.  Hopefully you took Altuve, if not oh well. If he wasn't so unlucky it would have been a good amount closer. Getting the 33rd best player in the first round isn't ideal but in my experience, it's not bad.

I also recommend doing auction. If you didn't love Betts at 3 you'd feel a lot less pressure take him and get cheaper elite guys.

Edited by brockpapersizer

I participated in a new 15 team Dynasty Roto 6x6 league slow draft for 2018...We originally weren't going to draft until October but everyone was so hyped for the draft we started a few weeks ago...The first round went as follows:

1. Mike Trout

2. Kris Bryant

3. Bryce Harper

4. Carlos Correa

5. Nolan Arenado

6. Jose Altuve

7. Mookie Betts (my pick)

8. Trea Turner

9. Manny Machado

10. Corey Seager

11. Giancarlo Stanton

12. Francisco Lindor

13. Anthony Rizzo

14. Chris Sale

15. Clayton Kershaw

Next few picks were Goldschmidt (How did he fall that far?), Benintendi and Bellinger...

8 hours ago, 6Kill said:

He hit 7 less homers than last season in 5 less games. I wouldn't call his home runs disappointing because I think most people expected regression this season. So really BA was his only disappointment, as well as those in OPS leagues.

He should be a bargain next season. 

• Like 2

I think I'm taking Turner over Betts as well. With that said, I play in a 12, 14, 16 and 20 team league. First round for me is very different.  Betts is a top 15 player next year in the draft. I don't know about top 10.  But definitely top 15.  So I'd take the 12 from the OP and add Turner, Kluber and Scherzer.

Freddie Freeman was arguably the best hitter in baseball before his injury. I think he was playing at less than 100% when he came back.

Francisco Lindor was a top 12 player over the 2nd half of the season. His second half pace puts him at about .292 40/20. Given his age (23) and position (SS).

I'm not sure either of these two climb into top 12 discussion, but getting either in the 2nd round is going to feel very good for the owners that land them IMO.

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

And I tied for first in a 12 team league and I was tied in runs, 3 steals back of the next guy, .001 behind the next guy in avg, one save away from getting an extra half pt, one k away from getting an extra half pt, and less than .01 away from being 1st in whip. Point being, Betts did not lose you your title he helped in other categories and I’m sure had he hit 30 homers and batted .300 and ops’d .900 instead but only got 92 runs 75 RBIs and 17 steals that wouldn’t have been enough to get you the title. His “elite”ness in other areas (runs, rbis, and SB) turned his okay year into a very good one and this is his only his floor.

I would be willing to take him as high as 7th next year in a standard 5x5 rotisserie league. 

5 hours ago, Zombies said:

I participated in a new 15 team Dynasty Roto 6x6 league slow draft for 2018...We originally weren't going to draft until October but everyone was so hyped for the draft we started a few weeks ago...The first round went as follows:

1. Mike Trout

2. Kris Bryant

3. Bryce Harper

4. Carlos Correa

5. Nolan Arenado

6. Jose Altuve

8. Trea Turner

9. Manny Machado

10. Corey Seager

11. Giancarlo Stanton

12. Francisco Lindor

13. Anthony Rizzo

14. Chris Sale

15. Clayton Kershaw

Next few picks were Goldschmidt (How did he fall that far?), Benintendi and Bellinger...

Jose Ramirez is a top 10 pick in any dynasty league at this point. 

Nobody has his 5 cat upside outside of Mookie Betts, Jose Altuve, and Paul Goldschmidt

Edited by EmbargoLifted

I'm not sold on Jose Ramirez's power.  HRs up across the board.  JR was never a big HR hitter in the minor leagues and his overall MLB numbers don't really point to a big power hitter.

I also don't think Cleveland will steal a lot of bases.  The lineup is just too good, too deep, too powerful to risk running bases, which is why Lindor's SBs were limited.

On the plus side, he will probably be the everyday #3 hitter for all of 2018 and no more batting 5th/6th monkey business.

As for Mookie Betts.  Another downside is the aging Red Sox lineup.  Weren't they near last in team OPS in 2017? You got aging vets like Han Ram, Pedroia, Moreland who you can't rely upon.  The younger players like Benentendi, Devers, well nothing is proven yet but I do like benentendi.  I Don't think Betts can repeat those counting stats.

23 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I'm not sold on Jose Ramirez's power.  HRs up across the board.  JR was never a big HR hitter in the minor leagues and his overall MLB numbers don't really point to a big power hitter.

I also don't think Cleveland will steal a lot of bases.  The lineup is just too good, too deep, too powerful to risk running bases, which is why Lindor's SBs were limited.

On the plus side, he will probably be the everyday #3 hitter for all of 2018 and no more batting 5th/6th monkey business.

He's a rare .300/100/100/20/20 stud at a scarce position  (with the peripherals to support that kind of roto productivity). Outside of Goldschmidt, Altuve, and Betts nobody has that kind of 5 category upside and those guys are gone by the first half of the first round.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

6 hours ago, Zombies said:

1. Mike Trout

2. Kris Bryant

3. Bryce Harper

4. Carlos Correa

5. Nolan Arenado

6. Jose Altuve

8. Trea Turner

9. Manny Machado

10. Corey Seager

11. Giancarlo Stanton

12. Francisco Lindor

13. Anthony Rizzo

14. Chris Sale

15. Clayton Kershaw

Goldy going that far down is blasphemy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

He's a rare .300/100/100/20/20 stud at a scarce position  (with the peripherals to support that kind of roto productivity). Outside of Goldschmidt, Altuve, and Betts nobody has that kind of 5 category upside and those guys are gone by the first half of the first round.

hey I'm not saying he's a bad player ... but I think his Hrs fall back down to earth and his SBs cap out at 15-20.  A very good useful player, I just don't if it's first round material. 

34 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

hey I'm not saying he's a bad player ... but I think his Hrs fall back down to earth and his SBs cap out at 15-20.  A very good useful player, I just don't if it's first round material. 

I'm concerned about J-Ram's bad month of August. I need consistency and reliability from my first rounder.