dekciw_1

Kevin Durant 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Last year he proved himself as one of the best offensive players in the world of basketball. And he is no less in the fantasy world. He finished #1 last year in 9cat on BBM, and he is projected #1 again this year. ESPN projects him #4  with a slight drop in BPG.

Your thoughts and expectations on KD this year? 

generally i feel as though great players only get better each year with a new team, so im going to predict he'll put up similar numbers like last year, but i could a slight increase in pts,3s, and efficiency

Edited by calebcjy

nothing to see here, just continued greatness

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2017 at 5:57 PM, dekciw_1 said:

Last year he proved himself as one of the best offensive players in the world of basketball. And he is no less in the fantasy world. He finished #1 last year in 9cat on BBM, and he is projected #1 again this year. ESPN projects him #4  with a slight drop in BPG.

Your thoughts and expectations on KD this year? 

BBM > ESPN.

In 9 cat leagues, Durant should absolutely be #1. He's the safest pick, imho. 

• Like 2

Picked him - no brainer #1 pick IMO. Didn't realize he blocked 1.6 shots last year! That is huge. Any chance he goes for 2 swats a night? That would be insane. KAT and Giannis are the trendier #1 options but KD will be taking the top spot this year. The chemistry should be even more saucier now that he has one year experience with the Dubs.

He is great. Too bad dubs don't need him to be great for 36mins. His numbers could be even higher. 

7 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

Picked him - no brainer #1 pick IMO. Didn't realize he blocked 1.6 shots last year! That is huge. Any chance he goes for 2 swats a night? That would be insane. KAT and Giannis are the trendier #1 options but KD will be taking the top spot this year. The chemistry should be even more saucier now that he has one year experience with the Dubs.

Honestly I think there's a better chance his blocks regress than increase, but still no reason not to take him at #1. 

Nobody is scared about the injury history?  He's missed a lot of games in the last 3-4 seasons.  I would seriously consider Giannis and KAT, possibly even Steph Curry, ahead of KD in H2H as crazy as that may sound.

26 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Nobody is scared about the injury history?  He's missed a lot of games in the last 3-4 seasons.  I would seriously consider Giannis and KAT, possibly even Steph Curry, ahead of KD in H2H as crazy as that may sound.

Nope. Last year was a fluke injury (The big Georgian fell on him) and he had one other injury year. Other than that he has been immaculate. Injuries can happen to anyone, but he has no history of wear and tear injuries

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Do you only watch box scores? This whole myth of KD being injury prone is getting annoying and old. 

33 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Nope. Last year was a fluke injury (The big Georgian fell on him) and he had one other injury year. Other than that he has been immaculate. Injuries can happen to anyone, but he has no history of wear and tear injuries

I don't think he has anything chronic but by now you have to admit he's starting to get a bit of a history of lower leg/foot injuries.  So far he's had 2 knee sprains, a couple of rolled ankles (pretty common so nothing too scary), and the scary injury with his foot which has cost him almost an entire season and 2 revision surgeries.  

Not saying he's like Anthony Davis but I don't think he's an ironman either even taking into consideration the fluky stuff like the Zaza

32 minutes ago, prefuse1 said:

Do you only watch box scores? This whole myth of KD being injury prone is getting annoying and old. 

KD has missed an entire seasons worth of games over the last three seasons.  85 out of a possible 246, almost exclusively due to injury.  Unless you have a memory of a goldfish you can't help but be sceptical or at least a little bit wary about drafting a guy who's missed that many games due to injury issues.  As the guy above said they may be fluky injuries but that counts for nothing when your first round pick is sitting and costing you your fantasy season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

I don't think he has anything chronic but by now you have to admit he's starting to get a bit of a history of lower leg/foot injuries.  So far he's had 2 knee sprains, a couple of rolled ankles (pretty common so nothing too scary), and the scary injury with his foot which has cost him almost an entire season and 2 revision surgeries.  

Not saying he's like Anthony Davis but I don't think he's an ironman either even taking into consideration the fluky stuff like the Zaza

KD has missed an entire seasons worth of games over the last three seasons.  85 out of a possible 246, almost exclusively due to injury.  Unless you have a memory of a goldfish you can't help but be sceptical or at least a little bit wary about drafting a guy who's missed that many games due to injury issues.  As the guy above said they may be fluky injuries but that counts for nothing when your first round pick is sitting and costing you your fantasy season.

Such selection bias.

From most recent to less, total games played:

Does this look like a chronically injured player? Way to add only the 27 game season in your argument. Just pick MJs season when he broke his foot and tell everyone he was an injury risk.

Edited by MuscleChestbrook
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Does this look like a chronically injured player? Way to add only the 27 game season in your argument. Just pick MJs season when he broke his foot and tell everyone he was an injury risk.

Read again.  Nobody at any point said he was a chronically injured player.  I'm talking about his recent spat of injuries and gauging the risk v reward of picking him.

Thanks for listing the games and emphasizing the point about recent injury history.  You'll see from the year he had the foot fracture onwards he's missed a lot of games, due to the foot fracture and surgeries on top of other injuries he's picked up, hence the wariness.  It would be nice if we can say "well let's just ignore the past 3 seasons and go off of the 5 before that.  He played every game then so no problemo!".  It doesn't work like that.  2007-2014 he didn't have a surgically repaired foot and a few banged up knees/ankles.

Hopefully he doesn't get any more injuries but I think it's good to talk about his situation going forward.

Durant will finish as the #1 fantasy player. Nothing to discuss. He's in his second year in GS he will be even better 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Read again.  Nobody at any point said he was a chronically injured player.  I'm talking about his recent spat of injuries and gauging the risk v reward of picking him.

Thanks for listing the games and emphasizing the point about recent injury history.  You'll see from the year he had the foot fracture onwards he's missed a lot of games, due to the foot fracture and surgeries on top of other injuries he's picked up, hence the wariness.  It would be nice if we can say "well let's just ignore the past 3 seasons and go off of the 5 before that.  He played every game then so no problemo!".  It doesn't work like that.  2007-2014 he didn't have a surgically repaired foot and a few banged up knees/ankles.

Hopefully he doesn't get any more injuries but I think it's good to talk about his situation going forward.

Yet you are still implying that he is a chronically injured player. His foot fracture had nothing to do with what happened last season when Zaza fell on his knees, so there isn't any wariness. How did you think he dominated during the playoffs? Did you see a player being slowed down from that foot injury? You can't just focus on the games missed and automatically link that injury to a whole separate one, context is important.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, prefuse1 said:

Yet you are still implying that he is a chronically injured player. His foot fracture had nothing to do with what happened last season when Zaza fell on his knees, so there isn't any wariness. How did you think he dominated during the playoffs? Did you see a player being slowed down from that foot injury? You can't just focus on the games missed and automatically link that injury to a whole separate one, context is important.

Again, nobody said he's a chronically injured player.  You're confusing recent injury history with chronic injury history.  Declaring a players recent injury history does not equate to a player having chronic injuries. 

A player with chronic injuries : Brandon Roy.  CONSISTENTLY DEALING WITH THE PROBLEMS AND INJURY.

A player with a lot of recent injuries: Kevin Durant. MISSING A LOT OF TIME DUE TO VARIOUS INJURIES. 

See the difference?  They are not one and the same and nobody is saying Durant is chronically injured. 

Bradley Beal dealt with a lot of various leg ailments the first couple of seasons in the league.  People were worried or wary about drafting him last season because of this.  Last season not only did he have a career season but a healthy campaign and now nobody is talking about his previous injury history.  

Can you see how the inverse of this situation can be implied to KD?

The only risk we're talking about with KD is him being teammates with Zaza and how clumsy he is. Any other center and we're good with him. Hope that Jordan Bell starts by midseason so we could avoid having Zaza being an all-star possibility. I doubt Curry picks him even as captain.

3 hours ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Again, nobody said he's a chronically injured player.  You're confusing recent injury history with chronic injury history.  Declaring a players recent injury history does not equate to a player having chronic injuries. 

A player with chronic injuries : Brandon Roy.  CONSISTENTLY DEALING WITH THE PROBLEMS AND INJURY.

A player with a lot of recent injuries: Kevin Durant. MISSING A LOT OF TIME DUE TO VARIOUS INJURIES. 

See the difference?  They are not one and the same and nobody is saying Durant is chronically injured. 

Bradley Beal dealt with a lot of various leg ailments the first couple of seasons in the league.  People were worried or wary about drafting him last season because of this.  Last season not only did he have a career season but a healthy campaign and now nobody is talking about his previous injury history.  

Can you see how the inverse of this situation can be implied to KD?

The difference is, Bradley Beal started his career playing 56 games, and has had chronic injuries. KD has had like two freak accident. Anyway, this is a useless argument because you're not very receptive to others' opinions after asking for them. Don't draft KD if you're so scared about his injury history. It's as simple as that. 

15 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Anyway, this is a useless argument because you're not very receptive to others' opinions after asking for them. Don't draft KD if you're so scared about his injury history. It's as simple as that. 

Kind of hypocritical when instead of offering discussion like one or two others you instead just responded with sarcasm.  Anyway we can agree to disagree.  

I still think he's top 4, likely no.1 but I thought I'd throw the missed games out there to see if anybody else was worried.  Obviously not.