EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

28 minutes ago, mrfrood said:

oh so that is where 2013 version of Chris Davis went. 

Yeah his 20% K-rate is just like Chris Davis' 29.6% in 2013.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Yeah his 20% K-rate is just like Chris Davis' 29.6% in 2013.

Well I am sure the past 2 or 3 weeks it is higher than that. 

37 minutes ago, mrfrood said:

Well I am sure the past 2 or 3 weeks it is higher than that. 

Could be, but you'd have to do the work because I don't care enough to do it.

Who cares about the work? The fact is, he is striking out a ton lately. I have had him a few times in the past. I do not ever remember him striking out this much. At most he would have like 2 strike outs. Now having 3 is becoming not so much abnormal. 

He seems to be pressing, probably wants to make the money. 

10 minutes ago, mrfrood said:

Who cares about the work? The fact is, he is striking out a ton lately. I have had him a few times in the past. I do not ever remember him striking out this much. At most he would have like 2 strike outs. Now having 3 is becoming not so much abnormal. 

He seems to be pressing, probably wants to make the money. 

Man, I'm with you. But you did say he was striking out as much as Chris Davis in 2013, which was false... then you said he was striking out that much in the last 2+ weeks. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. If you wanna further the point, do the work and give me the numbers. i wanna see, but I don't care enough to look 'cause I'm lazy and hope you're wrong. :D

He really hasnt been good at all since April.  He strikes out a ton, doesnt walk, and doesnt hit for average.  His only value right now is RS and HR's.  Not what you expect from someone drafted high.  Very dissapointing.

He is still going to finish top 10. That will pay off his draft price. He has also been unlucky so far.

54 minutes ago, kgizzle said:

He is still going to finish top 10. That will pay off his draft price. He has also been unlucky so far.

This is so ridiculous.  It's June.  He's still batting in the .230's and he strikes out all the time.  So when is it going to stop being unlucky and instead become time to realize he's overrated.  If he continues on this path he's basically just a better Khris Davis.

Every Harper owner out there probably wishes they drafted JD Martinez instead.

I still think people will be very happy to have drafted him before season's end, especially in roto.

Edited by CaptainObvious

He still produced at a well above average rate in May, even with the downturn. It may not be fun to ride him, but it's not like he's not finding ways to provide some little spice here and there.

I have to say, it seems like he performs better in odd years over even years. 2015 was his career year, then in 2016 he got off to a blazing start in April and then Madden walked in every AB  and the rest of the season he seemed to just slump. Last year he was probably on his way to an even better season than 2015 and only an injury derailed his season. And This season he's been very dissapointing with his batting average but is still on pace for 40 homers and 100 rbi.

He got tagged out today because his helmet flew off and he tripped over it.  Why?  Because his helmet doesn’t fit due to the amount of product he puts in his hair.  Does it get any more embarrassing than that?  He also struck out twice while the rest of the offense put up 10 runs.  Then proceeded to get subbed for a reliever.

The dude is a joke and is nowhere NEAR what kind of money he will want.

1 hour ago, DemOrioles said:

He got tagged out today because his helmet flew off and he tripped over it.  Why?  Because his helmet doesn’t fit due to the amount of product he puts in his hair.  Does it get any more embarrassing than that?  He also struck out twice while the rest of the offense put up 10 runs.  Then proceeded to get subbed for a reliever.

The dude is a joke and is nowhere NEAR what kind of money he will want.

Oh for God's sakes, he also worked a walk and scored a run.

Plenty of guys have helmets that fall off when they run. Albies does it multiple times a week.

• Like 2

I feel like he is incapable of having more then one good game in a row.  Such a big dissapointment.

HR count (19 1st in NL) is great, OBP (.360 vs career of .380) is OK, its his avg (.228 vs .280 career) and struggling against righties at .238 that is making him seem like he is having a bad year.

BTW his WAR this year is a .09 in 2015 MVP season he was 10.0

When he figures it out again, hold on tight.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

If you were drafting today ROS (12 team), is Harper a first rounder? I honestly say no.

i think yes.  i see him as a top 10 bat and i would assume maybe 2 sps go in the 1st (although that depends on league).  

10 hours ago, herschel said:

i think yes.  i see him as a top 10 bat and i would assume maybe 2 sps go in the 1st (although that depends on league).  

Blackmon, Martinez, Judge, and Benintendi should all go before Harper.  And this is assuming Betts is already picked. 

If you want Harper, just wait until the later rounds and grab Khris Davis instead.  Same player at this point.

Batting .197 in his last 32 games, yikes. And just 2 walks in his last 11 games.